No police? No rules.

I just read an article about police giving out tickets on the Outer Ring Road during Operation Impact.

I started driving that road twice a day from Mount Pearl to Stavanger Drive in April, driving between 7 a.m. and 7:30 and between 4 p.m. and 4:30.

Without exaggeration, I have only seen a Royal Newfoundland Constabulary patrol car on that road one time.

Those are the busiest times of the day with the heaviest traffic — and no police.

At 7 a.m., cars are “flying” over that road.

I’ve seen several single-car accidents, most in wet conditions, and all as a result of speed.

With no RNC to patrol, all the idiots on the road get to do whatever they want, i.e. speeding, weaving, tailgating and every other unsafe practice.

Is there a reason that RNC fails to post an appropriate number of patrol cars on the busiest, most dangerous roadway in the city?

I think the RNC contributes to the Outer Ring Road’s reputation by not properly policing it.

Maybe if we put a Tim Hortons there, we might get some presence on the road. I implore the powers that be at the RNC to please post patrol cars on this very hazardous road at the proper times, or sooner or later lives will be lost.

And if it’s cost, well, ticket money from speeders alone will more than cover the expense.

Jim Bishop

Mount Pearl

Organizations: Tim Hortons

Geographic location: Mount Pearl, Outer Ring Road

Comments

Comments

• BC
    October 21, 2013 - 13:00

Certainly, good sir, the reason the RNC is not there is that they hire reasonable people who value their own lives. Little known fact: The CBS highway is the very one Kenny Logan sang about there in Top Gun (the ORR of course is the "danger zone").

• Brian
    October 21, 2013 - 12:03

And yet a rollover is not a deterrent at all, or at least it doesn't seem to be. I've seen several rollovers on the ORR, and minutes later will see drivers race by me like they're in F1, either totally oblivious to the accident scene they surely had to pass, or too stupid to figure out that the likely cause was speed. Nope - I'm with the writer on this one - put cruisers in select locations on the ORR for a full 4 week period, and you may see people start to slow down. If not, let the offenders continue to fund the extra headcount at the RNC.

• @anon
    October 21, 2013 - 11:45

What a foolish suggestion. How's self policing going to help those that are killed or maimed by the morons who refuse to respect they're on a shared roadway. I say step up enforcement and ticket the offenders until they learn some respect.

• Stephen D Redgrave
    October 21, 2013 - 11:04

Wake up Mr Bishop: With all due respect for your concern--do you know how many treacherous roads there are in the British Columbia interior without a cop to be found for one hundred kilometers in any direction? Ranting about who's to blame over stunned, and careless driving habits should never be placed on our police. I raised my kids to drive with a professional and polished attitude, by example and sufficient attention to detail--something that is woefully lacking in Newfoundland and apparently India too.

• Anon
    October 21, 2013 - 07:56

That's all wee need is more cops on the highway handing out tax-tokens (i.e. tickets) Let people be their own enforcement. A high-speed rollover is more of a deterrent than any ticket.

• EastCanShan
      October 21, 2013 - 13:22

Yeah, and let them kill someone else in the process. BRILLIANT SUGGESTION ..... note my sarcasm. I agree with the writer. Increase the presence, enforce the darn rules and make the punishments more severe. Eventually, idiots will get the message and follow the rules. How about speed cameras? The government is always looking for ways to increase revenue. The cameras would make the government a fortune - at least in the initial implementation.