Christians and columns

I write concerning MHA Sandy Collins’ Dec. 20 letter (“Wakeham column was offensive”).
Mr. Collins feels that Bob Wakeham should be taken to task for his piece in The Telegram on Dec. 14, entitled “Muskrat Christmas, everyone.”

Mr. Collins concludes that Mr. Wakeham did not show sufficient “respect and courtesy to people’s religious beliefs.” Mr. Collins further confirms that he “truly believe(s) that Christians are far too silent on these types of issues (and that) we have allowed such behaviour to go unchecked.”

I would remind Mr. Collins that Christians (perhaps those with views similar to his own) were not very silent during the Inquisitions and the Crusades.

As for me, I thought Mr. Wakeham’s article was one of his best and that it would be a blessing if people of all religions and those who profess to have no identified religious belief were enlightened enough (through the grace of God) to respect and appreciate (without sanction and punishment) not only Mr. Wakeham’s point of view — but his good humour.

The world would be a much better place for it.

Maurice E. Adams

Paradise

Comments

Comments

• Charles kennedy
    January 03, 2014 - 13:08

Hey folks I have got news for you .You don't have the right not to be offended.I should respect you as a person but I don't have to respect what you believe.I respect your right to believe it.If you want to believe in talking snakes,burning bushes,water being turned into wine,people defieing gravity,etc thats fine but I can disagree with you.Your response should be to come back with a logical defense of why it is so not cry I am being persecuted.Giving faith as the justification of why you believe something won't cut it in this age science and reason

• Herb Morrison
    January 02, 2014 - 19:38

As Christians, if we are mocked and poked fun at because of our lifestyle and Beliefs, we can take solace in the fact, that we are in good company. Christ was mocked and physically abused pri8or to bei8ng cruci8fi8ed. As Chri8sti8ans we need to be wi8lli8ng to endure the same m8istreatment whuch Chri8st endured. "Blessed are you when they shall persecute you, revi8le you, and say all manner of evi8l agiai8nst you falsely, for my sake. Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in Heaven. For so persecuted they the Prophets who came before you. " As Chri8st8ians we would do well to stop whining about the price we someti8mes payfor bei8ng Christians, and rejoice in the reality that the truth of God's word, as revealed in Scripture, is coming to pass in our lifetime. Christ taught, by example; that as a Chrstian, I am called to protest injustices which are inflicted on others, even at the cost of my physical life. am not called. Consequently, if Mr. Wakeham or others wi8sh to mock me bercause of my Faith and Beliefs They are free to do so. However, as *I stated, i8n an earli8er post, *I suspect that Mr. Wakeham's remarks were made with his tongue firmly planted in his cheek.

• JB
    January 02, 2014 - 12:26

If you're against Muskrat then you're my kind of people. Seriously, that's all this letter writer cares about.

• EMartin
    December 30, 2013 - 15:45

I love it when the argument gets shouted out "look at the Crusades, look at the Inquisition!" I suggest Mr. Adams, and those of his ilk look at map circa 600AD. The Middle East and North Africa were Christian. Within 150 years the Muslim's were on their way to Paris, only to be stopped by Charles Martel. The Crusades began only after Europe had the political and military means to fight back. With regard to the Inquisition, there have been far more people killed, many of them innocent children, via extra-judicial executions during Obama's two terms than 250 years of the Inquisition. At least those who were executed in the Inquisition had the benefit of a trial.

• Ed Power
      December 31, 2013 - 09:20

The Crusades began, Mr. Martin, when Pope Urban II convinced the warring and impoverished petty princedoms of Western Europe that there was much booty to be had in the East. The fact that many thousands of Eastern Christians were killed alongside their Muslim neighbours while this rape and looting occurred is something the Latin church has conveniently overlooked. If you were to read the history of the Crusades you would learn that the good Christian knights who "liberated" Jerusalem in 1099 bragged about the numbers of people that they slaughtered. "Indeed, if you had been there you would have seen our feet coloured to the ankles with the blood of the slain. But what more shall I relate? None of them were left alive; neither women nor children were spared" wrote one knight of the slaughter at the Temple of Solomon. Raymond 'dAgiles, who was an eyewitness to the assault on the Mosque of Umar wrote "that under the portico of the mosque the blood was knee-deep and reached the horses bridles". The contrast with the situation in 1187, when the city was besieged by Saladin, is stunning. The Sultan allowed all Christians who wished to leave safe passage and an escort to the coast. Upon surrendering the city, one hundred thousand Christians were allowed one month to depart, upon the payment of a 10 dinar levy. When the thirty thousand poorest Christians were unable to come up with the levy, Saladin's advisers urged him to raise the ransom from the Frankish Grand Patriarch's wealth. Saladin refused, and he, his brother and his brother-in-law paid the ransom from their own pockets, allowing Patriarch Heraclius to leave - after paying the 10 dinar levy - with wagonloads of gold, jewels and precious religious icons. This wasn't the end of the Christian Crusades as there seven more major - and a number of minor - Crusades against the Holy Lands, the last in 1390. It is worth noting that the Latin Knights of the Fourth Crusade didn't bother looting the Holy Land, they turned their siege engines and swords on their Christian brethren in Byzantium and raped, murdered and pillaged their way through Constantinople. On the plus side, Pope John Paul II did admit to the Eastern Patriarch - on the 800th anniversary of the sacking of Constantinople - that the events of the Fourth Crusade were "tragic". Tragic events they were, because Byzantium was never able to recover from the Latin conquest and fell to the Ottoman Turks on May 29, 1453.

• scottie
    December 30, 2013 - 15:36

What's it going to be? Freedom of speech or freedom of religion? With the mass-immigration of outwardly religious people who identify themselves by their religion FIRST into a post-Christian society and the ensuing sensitivity it causes, it doesn't appear to be both. Freedom of religion should never mean religion is IMMUNE from criticism. All sorts of substandard customs (some illegal), as well as indoctrination and brainwashing are going unchallenged as a result of freedom of religion, particularly in Britain. (The media won't report on it) If there ARE clashes with the law, these religious cults can just go clandestine. Criticism as a right of free speech should be allowed to CHALLENGE religion. Not hate, but criticism where it's warranted. Criticism is how things improve and society progresses. Freedom of religion is not a free pass.

• C O'Brien
      December 31, 2013 - 07:52

You are right, Criticize the religion all you want, But the column was not criticizing, it was mocking and poking fun at Christianity and that is not freedom of speech and there is a difference.

• Oh My
    December 30, 2013 - 12:55

Ever here of the Muslim Conquests....well they invaded parts of Europe, particularly Spain, Portugal and southern Italy. It happened in the 700s, 4 to 5 hundred years before any Crusade. No one wants to talk about that . Christians , practicing Christians truely are a minority. What is said of and how Christians are lampooned would not be acceptable if directed at another religious group. This right wing Christian conspiracy theory....give me a break and go back to facebook posting latte sipping and Marx worshipping.

• C. O'Brien
    December 30, 2013 - 10:35

If you have to go back hundreds of years to the inquisitions and the crusades then you need to get educated on Christian beliefs. A lot has happened in the last 500 years. There's nothing funny about mocking one's beliefs. Mr. Wakeham would never mock Islam or The Jewish faith in this way, yet you support his mocking of Christianity. It's a little hypocritical of you don't you think? If that's your belief then you can have it. Intolerance and disrespect of the faiths of those different than you is something I want no part of!

• Cashin Delaney
      January 01, 2014 - 08:45

It is hard not to mock people who get upset over the trivial. You will be mocked for your seriousness, not your beliefs, just as if you got serious over someone mocking Dungeons and Dragons - we dont care Why, the serious, gloomy How is the funny. No one cares what you believe really, we just react to uptight prigs who are humorless to any cause deemed trivial. Moses gave the Israelites magic mushrooms in the desert and they got tuned in to 'god'. Tim Leary tried the same juju and got locked up. I can pick the bones out of all this, still remain a roman catholic, laugh at my own BS, laugh at Jewish BS and whether it's is Torah, Koran or Bible, I can separate the wheat from the chafe and I only believe that a person who can't laugh at someone mocking their lifestyle is in for a sad life and whoever condemns me for mocking who I feel needs to be mocked is a prig that I will keep laughing at when they dourly criticize humorists. God can be funny, if you let him into your heart. I pray for all priggish to be blessed with a sense of humor for 2014.

• Maurice E. Adams
      January 02, 2014 - 09:31

If I understand correctly, I think you come pretty close to the point I was trying to make Mr. Delaney.

• Corporate Psycho
    December 30, 2013 - 09:12

Sandy who?

• Ed Power
    December 30, 2013 - 09:09

The myth of Christian "persecution" in North America and, in the USA, the annual frenzy surrounding the "War on Christmas" hyped by the right-wing media and fundamentalist preachers is tiresome, but entirely predictable. It's a seasonal phenomena designed to keep the cash flowing into their coffers in between the Prayer in School, Creationism is Science, Abortion causes Earthquakes, Gay Marriage and End Time are Nigh seasons.....

• Herb Morrison
    December 30, 2013 - 08:34

Mr Adams, as I said in a comment I posted earlier, in response to Mr. Wakeham's column; speaking personally, as Christian, I did not find Mr. Wakeham's column to be offensive. With regard to your own remarks concerning the acts of violence supposedly committed in God's name by Christians both past and present, I would suggest to you that si8mply because a Christian or group of Christians believes that they are speaking or acting in accordance with the will of the Almighty; it ain't necessarily so. In our imperfect human condition, humans in general, and Christians in particular, can allow our personal prejudices to influence what we say and do in God's name. For example, there are perofessing Christians who inappropriately utilise the Bible to support their homophic reaction homosexuality in general and same sex marriage in particular. When in fact the Bible does not condemn either homosexuality or same-sex marriage. In fact, the Bible teaches that we are to be wary of what are referred to as false prophetswho claim to be acting in accordance with God's will. As the Book says, we will recognize those who claim to speak, write or acrt in God's name, by the type of fruit their words or actiobns produce.