Another side to the story

I would like to clarify  an interview the CBC did with me on Dec. 20 at the Christmas hamper give away for the needy of the C.B.S./Paradise area. The interview left misinformation and confusion to the people, churches, business and anyone who has assisted us throughout the year.

The food bank is actually owned by the churches and two town councils is the area, and each church and council has a seat on the board of directors.

First, the story left the impression that we are looking for a new home for the food bank, yet I made the point several times that we are not looking for a new premises at this time.

We are content with the facility we now have, the rate we pay is a little less that the going rate for similar properties in the area and is quite suitable to our needs.

It is central and this is primary for us, a food bank in the Paradise area or the Kelligrews or Seal Cove area is too far to the extreme for us.

We may in the future look to buy or build a premises if we can get the funding, but this is only in the discussion stage at this time.

I also pointed out that we have sufficient food available, and what we are looking to do is obtain extra funding from business or other interested parties to buy or build in the future, and increased funding from our usual sources such as the municipal councils, churches, individuals and other groups to defray the increased overhead costs and increase reserves, again to build or buy in the future.

I also pointed out that cash donations are of benefit to us and the giver as they can get a receipt for tax purposes and we can buy the staples we require, or use the funding for the increase in overhead costs.

At the end of the interview I was asked who I would like to thank, and I said I would like to thank the churches for their support of cash and food, the municipalities of C.B.S. and Paradise for the yearly contributions from general revenues and special events, and the individuals, groups and business that assist us throughout the year. This, they did not include in the story.

Without this help, the C.B.S./Paradise Food Bank would not be able to survive.

Why the CBC made an issue of us looking for a new home is beyond me, and why they didn’t take the positive news I gave them is a mystery.

You can rest assured that I will no longer be doing any interview with the CBC in the future.

Peter Wells

chairman

C.B.S./Paradise Food Bank

Organizations: Paradise Food Bank, CBC

Geographic location: Seal Cove

Comments

Comments

• PETER WELLS
    January 02, 2014 - 10:12

TO TAXPAYER, I'm not sure where you get your information, but most of our clients are not what you seem to think. There are single mothers who are working but cannot keep up with the cost of living and have deadbeats for the childrens fathers. We have senior citizens who are trying to subsist on CPP only and cannot afford to heat and eat and medicate. We have some very sick people who are no where near the $25,000 that you claim they have, and yes some are on social services but are no where near the income and benefits that you say they have. Many are on social services for a variety of reasons, and few are just simply lazy. We will always have the poor and needy, and we will always need food banks. The poor have been with us since the beginning of time, we should show charity and compassion, not prejudice.

• Cashin Delaney
      January 02, 2014 - 11:44

Taxpayer is waxing satire to my ears, but then, I would argue against keeping any food in the bank with Tom Marshall in Finance. Someday, we will evolve past inventing jobs and embrace the freedom of an enlightenment that makes the renaissance seems as a greenwich village workshop. The solutions are known, but avoided - people control people through food security. To have nothing is not poverty. Poverty is living under the yoke of poor governance, in a rich society. Let NALCOR run the foodbank, and regain karma for stealing from children's mouths. I'd argue philosophically that the needy are ever present, but not the poor. Poor is a mindset invented by civilization, not an inborn concept in mankind. Usury is necessary evil, yet interest rates are at an all time low, chronic low as old people watching their pension funds often say. Unemployment is the bane of all economies? It is not, it is unleveraged progress.

• PETER WELLS
    January 02, 2014 - 10:02

TO PERFECT HEARER, I heard it too, and at no time did I ever state that we are looking for a new premises, why they stated this is beyond me. It has nothing to do with the turkey drive, they do not pay for the turkeys, they are donated by the general population anc CBC gives them to Community Sharing, theseare two seperate issues completely. However to reiterate the point I told them we are not looking for a new premises, ask them why they stated we are.

• Taxpayer
    January 02, 2014 - 09:43

Why do we have food banks to feed the idle poor when my taxes pay for their generous welfare benefits?! Free housing, free drugs, and $25,000 a year to boot? Instead of teaching them to be poor we should be making them work. Plenty of sidewalks need shovelling.

• pissed off single mom
      January 02, 2014 - 21:52

How dare you say free housing,free drugs and 25,000 to boot.I'm a single mother who worked for years and had to come home to raise him and get "welfare" because I was too sick to work.Yes I got a house that they pay, I got drugs that only pay a percentage because they are not covered and 25,000 a year your generous because I only gets 10,500 a year. you think that's what I wanted to do with my life? it wasn't a choice.So you think the taxes you pay goes on to welfare cases?what about street upkeep,plowing normal city things I guess you know exactly where your money goes to right? remember at the end of it all we get judged by one person and one person only and that's god. Theres your story ,my story and the truth somewhere in between as the sayin goes ,don't judge everyone because you don't have a clue.

• perfect hearer
    January 02, 2014 - 07:33

I heard that interview and even though it does not impact me in any way what I heard was that they were looking for a new location because of the cost of the rent. I don't think that cbc or any other tv or radio station would intentionally do anything for assistance to the needy. look at the turkey drives every christmas