Comments

Comments

• PETER WELLS
    January 02, 2014 - 10:12

TO TAXPAYER, I'm not sure where you get your information, but most of our clients are not what you seem to think. There are single mothers who are working but cannot keep up with the cost of living and have deadbeats for the childrens fathers. We have senior citizens who are trying to subsist on CPP only and cannot afford to heat and eat and medicate. We have some very sick people who are no where near the $25,000 that you claim they have, and yes some are on social services but are no where near the income and benefits that you say they have. Many are on social services for a variety of reasons, and few are just simply lazy. We will always have the poor and needy, and we will always need food banks. The poor have been with us since the beginning of time, we should show charity and compassion, not prejudice.

• Cashin Delaney
      January 02, 2014 - 11:44

Taxpayer is waxing satire to my ears, but then, I would argue against keeping any food in the bank with Tom Marshall in Finance. Someday, we will evolve past inventing jobs and embrace the freedom of an enlightenment that makes the renaissance seems as a greenwich village workshop. The solutions are known, but avoided - people control people through food security. To have nothing is not poverty. Poverty is living under the yoke of poor governance, in a rich society. Let NALCOR run the foodbank, and regain karma for stealing from children's mouths. I'd argue philosophically that the needy are ever present, but not the poor. Poor is a mindset invented by civilization, not an inborn concept in mankind. Usury is necessary evil, yet interest rates are at an all time low, chronic low as old people watching their pension funds often say. Unemployment is the bane of all economies? It is not, it is unleveraged progress.

• PETER WELLS
    January 02, 2014 - 10:02

TO PERFECT HEARER, I heard it too, and at no time did I ever state that we are looking for a new premises, why they stated this is beyond me. It has nothing to do with the turkey drive, they do not pay for the turkeys, they are donated by the general population anc CBC gives them to Community Sharing, theseare two seperate issues completely. However to reiterate the point I told them we are not looking for a new premises, ask them why they stated we are.

• Taxpayer
    January 02, 2014 - 09:43

Why do we have food banks to feed the idle poor when my taxes pay for their generous welfare benefits?! Free housing, free drugs, and $25,000 a year to boot? Instead of teaching them to be poor we should be making them work. Plenty of sidewalks need shovelling.

• pissed off single mom
      January 02, 2014 - 21:52

How dare you say free housing,free drugs and 25,000 to boot.I'm a single mother who worked for years and had to come home to raise him and get "welfare" because I was too sick to work.Yes I got a house that they pay, I got drugs that only pay a percentage because they are not covered and 25,000 a year your generous because I only gets 10,500 a year. you think that's what I wanted to do with my life? it wasn't a choice.So you think the taxes you pay goes on to welfare cases?what about street upkeep,plowing normal city things I guess you know exactly where your money goes to right? remember at the end of it all we get judged by one person and one person only and that's god. Theres your story ,my story and the truth somewhere in between as the sayin goes ,don't judge everyone because you don't have a clue.

• perfect hearer
    January 02, 2014 - 07:33

I heard that interview and even though it does not impact me in any way what I heard was that they were looking for a new location because of the cost of the rent. I don't think that cbc or any other tv or radio station would intentionally do anything for assistance to the needy. look at the turkey drives every christmas