Comments

Comments

• What a Load
    January 27, 2014 - 12:53

Why those vile capitalists and their businesses. Imagine where we'd be without their kind. Okay, forget about the jobs their businesses create to employ us. We don't need the taxes raised from those jobs and businesses. And we sure don't need what those taxes paid for like hospitals, schools, roads, and so on. Contractors should be happy to build your house for free. And the farmer and fisherman would gladly go broke to feed you. Yeah, that's the better way. I wonder why nobody else jumps on this bandwagon.

• Judy Gibson
    January 26, 2014 - 13:45

Mr. Randy Burry's letter concerning developers and greedy corporations taking over land for 'development' and ignoring the intrinsic worth of unspoiled nature sums it all up...and every word he says is true. I have written on this subject but haven't his eloquence. Developers control our Council in St. John's, and have for three or four terms...the last Mayor to stand up to them was John Murphy. He was a businessman but not a greedy one. I have hopes that more councillors like our former deputy mayor, Shannie Duff, and Jonathan Galgay, will go into local politics and begin to stem the tide of greed that has hit our shores like a tsunami. Good luck to beautiful Portugal Cove and all the other small towns around the province, and don't put out the welcome mat for investors who are not, really, going to improve your lives, give you sustainable jobs, or leave you with views that you can enjoy with the future generations of your families. Oh yes...I had a call the other morning and when I asked the caller why he was phoning so early he said angrily, with a strong accent, "Don't tell me it's too early to call!" so I hung up. I phoned *69 but of course the call was from a call centre. He's one of the people under acute pressure to feed his family in another country (I recognized the country from his accent) and I felt sorry for him. But I feel sorrier for Newfoundlanders being shoved out of their beautiful spots by 'entrepreneurs' of many nations. Sincerely, Judy Gibson

• Money Maddness
    January 26, 2014 - 11:28

At MUN the most loud, obnoxious and clueless people you meet are, nine times out of ten, business majors. When ones sole interest is money, greed, the accumulation of stuff, without any purpose or higher aspirations, it makes other people and nature itself, into obstacles to be destroyed.

• david
      January 26, 2014 - 12:52

The university experience provides whatever value you decide. In your case, it appears to be much too expensive.

• Tony Rockel
    January 26, 2014 - 08:41

Yes, the Water Street fish merchant mentality is alive and well in the NL business world, and our past and current crop of politicos are evidently just fine with that.

• Redgrave
    January 25, 2014 - 14:07

Newfoundland businessmen are notorious for using their own people as slaves. Standing on the back of hard working men and women. In the West (although property has been swallowed up) the average working person is treated as a valued individual, and paid accordingly. My employees are my biggest assett--this attitude comes from the West, and will stay here until I'm dead.

• david
      January 26, 2014 - 15:30

Business Boo! Government Yay! Congratualtions. You are now a Newfie PhD.

• Colin Burke
      January 27, 2014 - 11:25

Why expect competent workers to be your "biggest asset" and not their own?

• Mildred
    January 25, 2014 - 09:52

Exquisitely well written Mr. Burry. Thank you.

• Corporate Psycho