So happy to share our wealth with the world

Well, I feel much better now — knowing that our billions in one-time oil revenues are not being cubbyholed, not being safely tucked away in some sort of Heritage Fund for our children and grandchildren.

I refer, of course, to Ashley Fitzpatrick’s Weekend Telegram exposé (“Muskrat Falls goes global”), Feb. 1.

I feel much better now, knowing that we are not only spreading the seeds of our “Golden Age” around to the rest of Canada, but being the altruistic, friendly, good-natured people that we are — in “this place,” we are spreading our New-Found-Wealth around as evenly as possible to the rest of the world’s less well-off countries — countries such as the United States, Norway, China, Japan and others. What a wonderful, enlightened people we are.

I am sure that we must be the envy of everyone, everywhere — especially Nova Scotia, and later — Quebec.

I knew that I could rely on Nalcor to agree to put the water rights decision (that is now before the Quebec courts) off until late 2015 — just in time to ensure that Muskrat Falls will remain the fountainhead of our unending generosity. What visionaries!

Our provincial government and Nalcor seem always ready to lead the way in distributing (on our behalf) the spoils of our province’s resources worldwide.

They must already see themselves extending their sympathetic and outstretched hand once again to Quebec.

I can see it now.

I just can’t wait to be the beneficiary of that wonderful feeling of enlightenment and ecstasy that surely will follow when at last Nalcor (our shining light of vision) signs, through necessity, a new 50-year, extended Upper Churchill contract with Quebec.

How blessed we all are.

Maurice E. Adams

Paradise

Organizations: Golden Age

Geographic location: Canada, United States, Norway China Japan Nova Scotia Quebec

Comments

Comments

• a business man
    February 08, 2014 - 09:33

I am a Newfoundlander, but I am okay with giving away the energy to other areas that I have an interest in. I am okay with Newfoundlanders paying for energy that will be given to the USA, to Nova Scotia, and to Ontario, simply because I have business interests in those areas. I am a Newfoundland citizen, but I will state clearly that Nova Scotia, the USA and Ontario are all more important to me than is Newfoundland. So naturally, I am happy to see that Newfoundland will be taking on an expensive expense that will benefit the jurisdictions that I consider very important. I am happy that I voted for and volunteered for the government that made this possible. I am not posting to say that what is happening is right, or that it is wrong. I frankly don't care about right or wrong (I just care about legal or not). I am posting to say that I am one example of a citizen that is happy about what is happening. And yes, my reasons are completely and purely selfish, but this is a democracy, and I have a right to vote in a selfish manner and support the government that support my own interests. We all have that right and should exercise it accordingly.

• phil earle
    February 08, 2014 - 04:28

Ahhhh dear scribe your vision transcends the crass monetary manipulations of the megalomanias who's champions and high priests in secluded temples expound upon on the moon and stars. Only their argosies can sail the seas of nectar and oganate on the intoxicated ambrosia of the Gods! Even the brilliant mystic Archimedes, who jumped out of the bath tub running into the streets giving away 100 of his oxen to the poor on his discovery, could not touch the stately economic donations and favors our confederate priests bestow upon our countries, and the worlds, capitalists. Our high priests have even surpassed all other parts of the country in bestowments as their average of this bestowment is 15% of GDP while our confederate temple bestows 35% . That is 35% of what ever our NL government produces in value is taken off the top, by our siders, never a penny of which is ever seen again in this province. I heard that the Williams and dunderdale PC party members have been building summer homes on the Ross Ice Shelf ..! With out door swimming pools to..!! All this was leaked by an insider to me (Bill 29 I suppose)....! He told me they know that when global warming melts the shelf there will be rivers of water run off and with their expertise in hydro muskrat power they will build the worlds biggest power generator. Their working on 2 small remaining problems however....the first, how to build a zero resistant 10,0000 mile under water transmission line to America and second where to find, not 500,000 conscripted Nlers to pay for it, but 500,000,000 NL conscripties!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Just sayin
    February 07, 2014 - 22:32

Ashley appears to be a mouthpiece for Nalcor

• Jon Smith
    February 07, 2014 - 10:55

We need to call on the new government that replaces the PC's to restore and strengthen the safeguards (like PUB) of our democracy and our well being. The reason for the mess we are in with Muskrat is directly related to the fact that the majority PC government had the power to manipulate everything with impunity. The damage to taxpayers and consumers from this fiasco may be largely a done deal but we must learn from the mistakes and be on guard for the future.

• Graham
      February 07, 2014 - 12:18

What about make accountable those who continue to mislead and lie? Our future is tied up for 50 years for paying for energy that we will not likely need or use, and essentially given away

• Observer
    February 07, 2014 - 09:29

Huh?????? Did you read the same article by Ashley Fitzpatrick that I did???? The same well-presented, factual, informed, unbiased piece full of background that I read???What kind of warped thinking IS this????? Oh right, the distorted, anti-Muskrat Falls kind. Pitiful.

• Winston
    February 07, 2014 - 08:56

I too feel the joy. The job of sharing and spreading our wealth around. One day, perhaps, we may even connect coastal Labrador to the grid. But they are in no rush. They have this feeling of joy of sharing with others first, more so than we islanders. They have always endured the harsh life, and sharing with others are part of their culture, reinforced by the Catholic missionaries and the the good German Moravians. They don't mind waiting another century for grid power, from their own water resource. We need to celebrate this joyous feeling. A party to celebrate a 50 percent hike in our power costs so that Nova Scotia's hike will be only 5 percent. Who could be more neighbourly than that? And don't forget our contribution in reducing global warming. Less coal burning in Nova Scotia. Sure , we may need to run Holyrood on oil to meet our commitments to them, but those fumes just go out over the Atlantic. JOY, WHAT JOY.

• Islander
    February 07, 2014 - 08:44

Our leaders could have made our lives more affordable but they just don't get it. They invest in the world while this is still a very poor region in many, many ways. Our electricity system has collapsed and our home heating costs are skyrocketing. It's time for that to change.

• GINN
    February 07, 2014 - 08:23

good old Mo, always good for a belly laugh. Most of our one time oil revenues have been spent on MRI machines, CTs and provincial wide dialysis facilities, not to mention billions to pay down pension debt etc. not to mention new schools, new rural clinics and expanded hospitals. Write again soon Mo, about your monotonous anti-Muskrat dirge, we all need some levity in our lives!

• Graham
      February 07, 2014 - 09:09

Ginn, you are right, too much being spent on social issues. For God's sake , even Corner Brook wants a new hospital. Promised in 2007, now to start in 2015 and complete in 2035. Why don'd they all move to St. Johns and get the good services of Eastern Hell? Some even think the 19th century Waterford hospital, or the 19th century penitentury should be replaced! Those types wants to go soft on the mentally ill and convicts. Let them suffer I say. Too much being spent in that direction. We need to benefit the visionaries and their friends who know they can outsmart Hydro Quebec.

• Jay
    February 07, 2014 - 07:53

Maurice, It's great that you can see 50 years into the future. You sound like one of those Mayan prophets predicting the end of the world. Oops, we're still here. So much for the facts.

• Tony Rockel
      February 08, 2014 - 09:34

Yes, Jay, Ed Martin's 50 year projections for our future energy needs are SO much more reliable LOL.

• Concerned
    February 07, 2014 - 06:36

The Muskrat Falls project should have been delayed until Hebron was completed. It is a public works project, and it should have been completed at a time when the NL supply chain, and labour force could have taken full advantage from it. Instead the engineering has been done in Quebec, and many of the labour must come from outside the province. Quebec is a large beneficiary from this project from the CAPEX side. When it actually goes into production, then Nova Scotia will reap the benefits of the surplus power provided through the energy access agreement. Either way NL consumers will be paying an inflated price to subsidize other activities of Nalcor, and to fuel economic growht in our neighbouring provinces. It is a joke.

• John Smith
    February 07, 2014 - 06:13

Maurice, ten years ago the Liberals had left us destitute, with a 13 billion dollar debt, near bankruptcy, with infrastructure falling down everywhere you looked. Yet, you and others talk about heritage funds. Holyrood is at the end of its lifecycle, it is 40 plus years old and needs to be replaced. It's so easy to sit back and whine and complain, but reality means that we need bridges, hospitals, longterm care facillities, and yes, new forms of energy generation....so you and your buddies keep up the whineing, others will actually get the job done...

• joebennett
      February 07, 2014 - 08:38

John Smith you must have an office on the 8th. floor without any windows because you certainly don't see what's around you. Wake up man !!

• Robert
      February 07, 2014 - 09:20

John Smith, if that IS your real name, the Liberals left us in that state, as did the other party, because we had nothing. Your beloved tories took a boatload of cash from oil revenues and in just 10 short years pissed it away so now we are having hack and slash budgets and deficits. I am so sick of the Kool-Aid drinkers giving Danny Millions and his cronies credit for our prosperity over the last decade. It's like saying you became a billionaire through years of hard work, when actually it is because someone else dug a hole on your property and found oil. Sheesh