No room here for Hooters

I wonder if any of the owners of the Hooters restaurant have daughters, granddaughters, sisters, nieces, nephews or sons whom they love dearly.

I wonder if they would like to see them exploited by others by working in a place where they have to have the perfect body, come to work three-quarters naked and flaunt themselves to wait on tables and clean up after meals for other people who are basically laughing and sneering at them.

The pay will not fill these employees with self-respect. They will agree with the demands as long as their salary helps to pay rent or student loans, etc.

Our fair city is certainly on the decline since we became a so-called “have province.” We now have rampant drug additions, crimes that are escalating so fast the news appears to be from New York City or Chicago or some other big city where people are killing each other all the time. A lot of good wholesome values are going down the tubes. Let’s do something to protect our daughters, granddaughters, sons and families. Let’s protest so much that all the Hooters will “hoot” out of our beautiful city.

This business should never be allowed to be approved by our council. God help us all!

Catherine Power

St. John’s

Geographic location: New York City, Chicago

Comments

Comments

• Jungle Jane
    February 07, 2014 - 23:50

Wow, as a waitress at Jungle Jim's I never felt degraded until people had to belittle us to defend Hooters. I have no issues with a Hooters opening in St. John's and while yes at Jungle Jim's wearing shorts is part of our uniforms it is up to us to decide how short they are and how tight they are. No one is forced to wear anything tight, and it's up to each individual to get their own shorts they are comfortable in.

• Bill FitzGerald
    February 07, 2014 - 21:05

Yes,I have a daughter who turns 21 in a few days and graduates from MUN in May with her business degree.The only thing that gets me about the new Hooters in St.John's is her and I talked about looking into getting a Hooters franchise a few years ago but we both wanted her to get her degree first. So,Catherine,maybe St.John's will have two Hooters' franchises in the future.Then you can be pissed off twice as much...lol.

• Herb Morrison
    February 07, 2014 - 19:55

When an article pertaining to the establishment of a Hooters Restaurant elicits more public debate in this medium, than does either an article regarding the high number of incidents of violence against women or an article documenting the number of women who have either been murdered or simply disappeared in this Province over the years; I would suggest that there is something hokey with peoples' sense of priorities. There are boobs and there are boobs. The boobs found at Hooters pose much less of a threat to the fabric of our Society, than do the self-righteous boobs who spend their time pointing judgemental fingers at those who would patronize a Hooters Reataurant. The judgenental boobs would be doing both themselves and other people a service if they would take a hard look at their own priorities and the level of moral uprightness, which these priorities reflect, before standing in self-righteous judgement of the choices which other people make, by attempting to force their idea of what constitutes morally appropriate behaviour , down the throats of others. Even the Almighty respects people's right to choose.

• vrp
    February 07, 2014 - 18:10

don't give a hoot either way - and, anyone who does has too much time on their hands, or, too many axes to grind.

• Huck
    February 07, 2014 - 18:03

No need to get too excited over Hooters. Now with the sex trade being legalized, this time next year you may have a few new brothels to complain about.

• Megan
    February 07, 2014 - 17:09

All your points are totally invalid.. starting with the title. The president of Hooters has two daughters whom he will allow and will be proud to allow them to work for Hooters when they are of age. Secondly, as everyone else has said they wear just as much if not more then many othe resturants in the city. and lastly, i hardly think getting a Hooters has anything to do with the crime in St. John's. Do you think someone is going to go there and walk out with the sudden urge to commit a crime? Its a resturant, get over it.

• Alex
    February 07, 2014 - 12:15

For those who want to condemn the restaurant based on the name you need to grow up and maybe clean out your own closets before passing judgement.... I'd rather be known as an honest sinner than a lying hypocrite.....

• Red
    February 07, 2014 - 12:02

Wow women wearing shorts and tshirts sure offends alot of people. You can go to alot of other restaurants where the girls wear tight black miniskirts that barely cover their privates but somehow that's acceptable? Hooters is just another sports bar with crappy deep fried foods so it should fit in perfectly with George St.

• DWB
    February 07, 2014 - 11:22

Personally, I can't wait to have a burger and a beer served to me by attractive women. Bring it on I say, and open more locations in the malls and stop the foolishness that some people get on with.

• Lloyd
    February 07, 2014 - 11:03

I say to Ms. Power, you and a lot of other people DON'T have to go to Hooters when they come here. You have a free will, to do as you so please. There is nobody holding a gun to you head and saying, you MUST go to such and such a place. Have you had your say about the Cotton Club? They are next door where Hooters will be. Judge not. Some people have sins written across their face, and a lot of people have their sins hidden in the closet. Isn't it so easy to judge when the shoe is NOT on the other foot? There is ONLY one perfect one, and they crucified HIM on the cross. He died and rose again, that we all could have eternal life. There is a HELL to shun, and a HEAVEN to gain. I rest my case.

• Lloyd
    February 07, 2014 - 11:02

• Sean
    February 07, 2014 - 09:44

It's an odd business idea, for all the horny men it's going to draw, it's going to drive away a lot of families and couples. I know I wouldn't pitch the idea of having dinner at Hooters to my girlfriend or wife, if I ever wanted to do anything more than look at a female. The novelty where wear off. There are lots of places with pretty waitresses wearing tight clothes. You don't need to build you entire concept around it.

• Jay
      February 07, 2014 - 11:32

Give me a break! What families are going to George Street for a wholesome family experience . Wouldn't the broken needles and used condoms send a stronger message than a bar/restaurant. Even the police don't want to go down there. If the business model doesn't work, it will shut down. If you don't like it, go somewhere else, and stop judging people

• Steve
    February 07, 2014 - 09:20

So let me get this straight....people have no problem with the fact you can get a lap dance for $20 and feel as much T&A as you want....but a woman is skin tight outfit - NIMBY!

• Jon
    February 07, 2014 - 08:56

Yes, may God save us all from a restaurant.

• Craig
    February 07, 2014 - 08:56

I'm all for it. I assume that, having 8 years experience, I should be able to get a waiter job there based on my credentials. I don't expet that they would refuse me because I'm 45 and 220 lbs. That would be illegal.

• Newfie Soldier
      February 07, 2014 - 10:59

Craig, show up naked and bring beer. That is all the credentials required. Hooters, wings, beer all good. If you want to flash your cleavage, you are hired.

• C. Adams
    February 07, 2014 - 08:50

I'm not against Hooters being allowed to open in St. John's. But in a perfect world, Hooter's market researchers would already know that pandering to out-dated sexism wouldn't fly with the people in St. John's. In a semi-perfect world, Hooters would open, but soon close down, after realizing that Newfoundlanders are too sophisticated for gimmicks to sell food. In this world, Hooters should do well as we can't get enough of crass, sexist, exploitative American companies.

• Derek
    February 07, 2014 - 08:49

Ate at the Hooters in the West Edmonton Mall with my spouse, and both my parents. Girls were dressed in roughly the same level of outfit that the staff at Jungle Jim's wear. Good food, exceptional service. Some people get their exercise from jumping to conclusions. I think you would be well put to do a bit more research before you offer off the cuff remarks like you did. There are many restaurants on the same level with Hooters and as I recall their original name came from Owls because it was a late night restaurant.

• JD
    February 07, 2014 - 08:36

I understand your value point, but you're missing the mark here. Hooters, yes, is rooted in the 1970's and 1980's bimbo-fication, but come on. Shorts and top are certainly not explicit. You and others are going a long way to make people very uncomfortable about working there. Society is over-reactive at times. What's next, clothes police in the parks and (God-Forbid) downtown on any give night - let alone Mardi-Gras. Its simple, if you don't like a place, then don't go.

• Robert
    February 07, 2014 - 08:32

Believe it or not, Hooter Girls actually show LESS skin than the waitresses at Jungle Jims. Hooters girls wear a t-shirt, shorts, and tights. Jungle Jim's girls wear t-shirt, shorts, and done.

• roy
    February 07, 2014 - 08:32

Do I agree with exploiting our children, would I want my child working there, probably not, but having eaten in one of these restaurants I didn't see any more exposure than I see everyday on the streets and in work places, office bldgs. etc, not as much as I see on tv by our so called singers and entertainers. How about the strip clubs that have been in our city for years? This is a restaurant, you eat there if you want, you are not forced to work there or eat there.

• Yo mama
      February 08, 2014 - 04:56

Best comment yet mate.

• Abdul Saieed
    February 07, 2014 - 08:29

I'm sure they are just like Boston Pizza and Montanna's. I'm also sure that it's called Hooters because they specialize in owl-based dishes. As I have as little respect for myself as I do these young girls (and all women in general) I will be there often... err, for the owl wings.

• Robert
    February 07, 2014 - 08:17

• Dee
    February 07, 2014 - 08:16

Catherine this people going to work at a place like Hooters have to 19 to work there,have you ever been to the swimming areas,have you ever been to the park or beach in he summer time and see these girls laying around with hardly nothing on and a lot of them only 13-14.My advice to you if you don't want to go there go to another restaurant and listen to the language that comes from the kids.

• valid point but...
    February 07, 2014 - 07:49

Good morning: I kind of agree with your point (the objectification of women), but I really can't buy what you are selling. Hooters is no different than Boston Pizza, Montana's or any other chain restaurant, they all have "sexy" waitressess in tight black pants and tight shirts with evrything squeezed in. I may remind you that these women are of legal age and have the right to choose where they work. Also, you obviously don't know much about NY or Chicago because they have several murders every day. SJ is getting worse than years ago, but to compare them to major US cities is a big stretch. You are obviously passionate against Hooters though, good luck with that.

• Gekko
    February 07, 2014 - 07:47

Wont someone please think of the children!

• Dave
    February 07, 2014 - 07:40

I would rather have Hooters than some orphanage run by the Christian Brothers. Why do Newfoundlanders whine and complain so much?

• Doug
      February 07, 2014 - 08:35

You mean whining about Newfoundlanders? Yeah, Dave, it gets tiresome.

• Darrell
      February 07, 2014 - 10:22

Priests don't like nice attractive girls, not their type.

• richard
    February 07, 2014 - 07:31

let me ask you, how is it any worse then the strip clubs down the road?sirens?cotton club? Are the woman coming in to work nude at hooters, no.Do they have a choice whether they work at hooters or not , yes. Its a family restaurant, and from my experience from going to previous hooters , its not as bad as your making it out to be. Great food, great service, you can bring your family,friends, loved ones to enjoy.It'll be something new for the city to enjoy. What this city lacks is variety, and i think one little hooters bar is not going to hurt the economy by being here haha basically your saying close the modeling agencies as well , because the models will feel insecure about there selves and there bodies blah blah blah Bring it in give it a shot, THEN come back with your comments and complaints, dont knock it until you tryed it . #PROHOOTS

• richard
    February 07, 2014 - 07:30

• richard
    February 07, 2014 - 07:26

• Mike
    February 07, 2014 - 06:50

but strip clubs are ok ?...two of them right around the corner from hooters....your ok with those ??????

• Graham
    February 07, 2014 - 05:51

Each and every time something is proposed for St. John's the protestors begin. To mention a few, the harbour fence, cell phone tower, downtown hotels and office buildings, seniors complex, apartment buildings, casino, and don't forget the supermarket on the old stadium site, my God that was going to ruin the city, and on it goes. Why not put a net across the harbour and a gate at Donovan's with a sign "St. John's Closed" As far as Hooter's is concerned the place will be very successful ,you can bet on that and I expect that even a few disguised protestors will be standing quitely in the line up.