‘Platinum toilet, please’

Nalcor’s promotion of Muskrat Falls as “the least-cost option” is like a plumber telling a householder “I can fix you up with a platinum toilet or a solid gold toilet. The gold toilet will cost you less, but I can’t tell you how much less. You’ll just have to believe me when I tell you you’re getting a fantastic deal.”

Householder: “But what about a plain old porcelain toilet?”

Plumber: “We’re not gonna talk about that!”

When the gnomes of Nalcor tell our honourable members to jump, their only questions is: “How high?”

Last year, I wrote about the eerie parallels between Muskrat Falls and the Panama Canal scandal, and how the latter fiasco brought down a government.

Dunderdale is now gone and the dunderdominoes are falling … you have only to think for a moment about last week’s mind-boggling revelations from Natural Resources Minister Derrick Dalley to see where this ship is heading.  In terms of secrecy, corruption and incompetence, this government would make the worst banana republic on the planet look like the epitome of good governance and fiscal restraint.

Tony Rockel

Placentia

Geographic location: Muskrat Falls, Panama Canal

Comments

Comments

• Yo mama
    March 03, 2014 - 15:18

Seems a lot of you on here are quite educated, so as an ordinary citizen, with an "all for" opinion of Muskrat Falls, am I wrong to think if it's going ahead anyways, shouldn't it be paid for by our oil revenues? Cost is obviously the cause for all the debating. Pretty sure running water will last longer than the oil we're sucking from the ground.

• Crazy
    March 03, 2014 - 10:39

@ Happily Retired, Sir I have got to agree with you, Mr Ball don't have the ( CHESTNUTS ) to stand, The man is no Leader but a follower.

• Happily Retired
    March 03, 2014 - 08:58

It is not too late to stop Muskrat Falls. I can`t believe that people don`t realize that Dwight Ball wants to proceed with this project just as much as Kathy Dunderdale did. He has not provided any opposition to the project, but is hiding until after the election.

• Tony Rockel
      March 03, 2014 - 14:40

@ Happily Retired: So apparently you also oppose the MF project. Why then do you label my opposition to the project as "petty"? Is it because you think I'm a Liberal supporter? What gives you the right to label me a supporter of that bunch of opportunists?

• Charles Murphy
    March 02, 2014 - 15:59

@ Dolf, Sorry its not gone to far to put the break on this project, Its time for someone to step forwards and stop the B/S. I spend two years of my life studying this project. Can its be safe for the people and the benefits it will bring us? the answer is yes, only in conjunction with another project...Get after Mr Ball and Ms Michael...for leadership, if they can't handle it. Time for them to go. As for Tony, he just like to hear himself talk. Come on man give us a solution...I know I can, but I would need the newspaper for a week to explain everything in detail. But that not going to happen.

• Tony Rockel
      March 03, 2014 - 10:39

Well Mr Murphy, let's hear your grand plan. You've been hinting at it long enough. Let's see if you really are NL's saviour. At least I made an effort numerous times in the past to lay out in detail what's wrong with MF and what the alternatives might be.

• Dolf
      March 03, 2014 - 10:52

What about all the money already spent and contracted? Must be a billion dollars. That's my point.

• Maurice E. Adams
    March 01, 2014 - 07:18

We have what is a "ponzi" government, and you know what happens to the shareholders involved in ponzi schemes.

• Corporate Psycho
    March 01, 2014 - 07:03

Stop Muskrat NOW!

• Dolf
      March 02, 2014 - 12:14

Even the Liberals and NDP know it's gone too far for that now.