Herder disappointments

On March 28-30, I, like other Cataracts fans, travelled to Clarenville to watch the Cats and Caribous play games 3-5 of the Herder Memorial finals.

I spoke to many supporters of the Caribous who where disappointed by the lack of fan support by the home team. I was there a few years back watching the same teams and the place was full to capacity.

What happened this year?

Some fans blamed Hockey Newfoundland and Labrador (HNL) for raising the prices, taking 11 per cent of the gate and three dollars from each ticket going to the other teams in the Newfoundland and Labrador Senior Hockey League (NLSHL).

I know that many fans were outraged by the refereeing in games 4 and 5 — and this was fans from both teams.

I wondered many times, were they refereeing pond hockey?

Present at the games where members of the NLSNL executive — could these people see the outrageous calls?

As for HNL, all they care about is the money that they make and put nothing back into the league.

Since the start of the playoffs I can’t recall hearing any paid announcements made by HNL promoting the Herder Memorial Trophy.

To the executive: you should be ashamed to let such a historic trophy not be promoted and let such officiating ruin a great tradition and game. The first stars of games 4 and 5 were the referees.

Dave Barker

Grand Falls Windsor

Organizations: Newfoundland and Labrador Senior Hockey League, Hockey Newfoundland and Labrador

Comments

Comments

• rh
    April 02, 2014 - 14:52

to respond to the first comment .we as fans spend our hard earned money to travel to theses games so i think that gives us the right to " whine " as you put it . . loses will happen , that's the nature of the beast but if my team loses i would like it to be on a level playing filed. not some incompatent ref deciding the outcome of such crucial games . on both sides a might add . this as been happening all over the league for the last few years but as the league gets faster the reffing is getting worse . its either they have to do one of two things . retrain these guys or bring in refs that a capable of doing the games .

• Rick
    April 02, 2014 - 13:27

What a surprise, the people of GFW complaining again. If we were to open a zoo in NL, we'd fill it with the most whinocerous'. It is non stop complain with these guys. Same thing at the Joe Byrne, tons of space to watch the game, yes the seats may have been sold, but there was less than a row of fans standing in all areas of the building. The cost is too much, the players make too much, and the hockey just isn't that entertaining. Too many buddy's playing with and against each other. There is zero rivalry amongst teams. Yes, maybe a few players, but the hatred the teams once had vs each other is long gone. This 'business' of sr. hockey will fail as it has in the past. Expect a big shakeup at years end, clarenville will last one more year at best as they are hosting the allan cup and if the town of gfw doesn't help bail out the team again, yes it did two years ago $40,000 total, they too will be gone. The fact that you are whining about every little detail every chance you get is crazy. Complaining about refs? Seriously, ever sit and watch a full NHL game, it's the best they have doing the best job they can do. Because your team lost a game or two doesn't mean it's anyones fault but the players, they were beaten by a better team on a given night. Did the caribous blame the refereeing after the first 3 games? NO, they lost the game cuz they didn't score more goals. Get over yourself and stop the constant whining. It is embarrassing.

• Correct a few points
    April 02, 2014 - 10:00

Fully aware that this is an opinion letter, but a few points to correct. 1. Past Herder Games in Clarenville were NEVER filled to capacity. The CEC has the capacity of 2250 and there has never been a sell out. Sure, seats have been sold out but with a total standing capacity of 1,000 - the past Herder games played in Clarenville were never sold out. 2. A point on the price. In fact, the price for this 2014 Herder Games in Clarenville, the ticket price for seats were LOWER than last year - the only difference is that both seats and standing were the same ticket price of $25 vs previous years.

• Graham Bursey
    April 02, 2014 - 08:25

I totally agree with you Mr Barker. HNL needs a shake up big time and as for the refs well I have to admit I have seen better at pond hockey. Both teams suffered because of BAD CALLS and NO CALLS yet the HNL people sat in their comfortable seats and watched it all unfold and as far as I am aware not a word from anyone on the HNL executive. If senior hockey is to survive in this province something has to change and change quickly at the TOP. HNL needs new blood but I wont hold my breath waiting for that to happen.

• Brad
    April 02, 2014 - 07:35

Knew it wouldn't take long for a whinefest to start from the GFW Cats fans. I watched the Herder last time it was at Mile One and the GFW kept moaning for a penalty even though the contact was minor in nature...doesn't surprise me this has kept up all series. To quote rugby referee Nigel Owens "This is not Soccer!"

• Darrell
      April 02, 2014 - 09:14

Brad......some good points. However, I feel the level of officiating has gotten worse over the years. My team is the Cee Bees but I did watch the games last weekend on computer. Not supporting either team but the calls that were made were atrocious. Is this the best we have in our province? If so, I hope Hockey Canada sends some decent officials next year for the Allan Cup in Clarevnille or we will look foolish.