Eight hours in the ER

Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

It’s funny how we hear stories of trouble with health care, especially hospital wait times but unless we go through it we don’t realize the extent of it.

I took my son to the ER of St. Clare’s Hospital on a Tuesday evening after he hurt his foot at work. We arrived around 6:30 and were told that it might be seven hours. Over the course of being there, I thought it might be best to take him home, elevate the foot and put ice on it ... but hey, I’m a mother, not a health-care professional, so figured we’d wait in case he needed an X-ray.

At one point, he asked the triage nurse if she knew how much longer and was told, “This is an emergency room, anything can happen.”

No kidding. We left at 2:30 a.m. because he couldn’t wait any longer with the foot swollen and aching more than when we arrived ... obviously.

I think based on what his issue was, a quick look from the doctor might have concluded that he would be better off going home. I don’t know how it works but I do know that our health-care system is really in hard shape ... and that’s only based on one story of a squat foot.

Judy Kirby

Mount Pearl

Geographic location: Clare

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page



Recent comments

  • Johnny
    April 24, 2014 - 08:06

    There should be a dedicated doctor on regular shift in Emerge. One who could diagnose a condition, treat it on the spot & send him/her on their way, or admit the patient. But they make more money in practice scheduling appointments five minutes apart.

  • anna
    April 21, 2014 - 20:54

    I thought Miss Vicki had all those wait times taken care of before she leaves for Alberta. No wait the only thing I can remember her being responsible for is closing down the Tim Hortons and laying off numerous maintenance workers.

  • Jodi
    April 20, 2014 - 14:43

    It's crazy...I was at the HC yesterday, due to being in a car accident Friday night....we got there 1:30 and finally got out 8:30, for a Dr. that spent 2 minutes talking to me then left.