Being young and against the seal hunt isn’t easy in N.L

The Canadian seal hunt started with a quota of 400,000 seals — this being a extremely large quota.
I am a 16-year-old teen animal rights activist. Growing up in a small town in central Newfoundland and being anti sealing isn’t easy.

The Canadian commercial seal “hunt” is the largest mass slaughter of marine mammals in the world.

The seal industry is dying, the government is spending millions to try to keep the hunt going, but this can only last so long.

When will the slaughter stop?

You hear fishermen saying you have to slaughter them because they eat to much cod. So, would you slaughter humans because they eat too much food?

They use seals as a scapegoat for the loss of the cod fishery. The seals help the cod by eating fish and other marine animals that eat codfish.

lt’s incredible how some people fight so badly for this industry to survive.

The slaughter of seals is incredibly cruel. It is a slaughter done mainly for inessential vanity and luxury items and therefore is unnecessary.

This is a slaughter of seals in their nursery to produce fur coats no one wants or needs. Most seals that are slaughtered are less then three months old (95 per cent).

Only small amounts of the seal’s meat is processed and utilized in any manner. (DFO regulations state that “either the pelt or the meat must be used for each animal.”) It is rarely used by non-indigenous people for food.

Since the price paid for the meat is very low, only small amounts are kept, while the rest is simply left to rot on the ice.

The government states that it’s humane. l’ve seen a seal shot three times in the head and it was still alive until a sealer smashed its head.

Brady Russell

Gambo

Comments

Comments

• Rob
    May 19, 2014 - 23:39

Brady actually has done zero research. Just a kid with a cause he thought he knew something about. When confronted with fact from credible sources, he does what all Sea Shepherd drones do....he runs after using the keywords they like since they are easily visualized. Slaughter (mentioned 8 times ) is what animal rights activists like to use. I'm surprised that Brady didn't resort to the word "murder" which in the short debate I had with the boy, he used with abandon until the Oxford dictionary had him eat the word . Having "debated" it was evident. Brady's issue is his disconnect with how his food gets to him. Not that it is food in one way or another..

• ashley
    May 19, 2014 - 23:24

brady, you sound to me like a confused child who needs guidance and attention. your article is just copied and pasted right off sea Shepard's website. I ve done my own research on you, and your idol, paul Watson, is nothing more then a hate mongering liar. I would like to give you some advice. if you do have a vested interest in conserving seal populations, you should work with sealers to advocate for conservation. I promise you young man, if you continue to people hate and fight with sealers, you will accomplish nothing. the last thing we anyone needs is a war, or as your "captain" likes to say "seal wars". despite what Watson and his affiliates tell you, 1000's of people in rural newfoundland depend very much on sealing. its a vital part of our fishery, always has been, always will be. unless you have some genius alternative solution, your or nobody else will change that. so I would suggest to you, to start speaking with your countrymen who rely on this viable, sustainable trade to feed their families. instead of listening to a slick con man who hate newfoundland and everything about it. seriously brady, do some research, Watson hates us. stop blocking me every time I try to reach out to you on your facebook pages/groups. if you cant answer simple questions about this issue, you need to stop. you are spreading malicious slander about your own people, that's not right. do your research, talk to some people on the other side, then form your own opinion, if you are still opposed, then by all means, protest away, but protest sealing for what it is, not the fundraising smear campaign you are supporting. brady, don't ever lose your passion, but just be sure to direct it to the right outlet, don't waste it. we don't want to fight, we never did, stop alienating people on the other side who want to talk with you. by doing so you are limiting your own knowledge.

• Konstantina
    May 08, 2014 - 19:41

Brady, you are extremely brave. You have done your research well. Keep using your voice for the seals!!

• Seal protector
    May 03, 2014 - 11:36

Hi Brady, thank you so much for opening with so much courage and to speak against such a cruel act. I am also from NL and have spoken out with my opinion many times only to be bullied by other NL's, I know how hard it is. We have to keep speaking out and hopefully more people will get the courage to speak out with us against this brutal act.

• David Keller
    May 02, 2014 - 01:34

Thanks for your courage Brady in taking a very unpopular stance in NL. Some day the cruelty will end but until then we need more people like you to disclose the facts behind this barbaric assault on these innocent creatures.

• Shannon Bernardo
    May 01, 2014 - 22:35

Way to stand up for what you believe in. You are absolutely correct about the wrongly accused seal......we have over fished and destroyed the cod stock.....not the seals.....

• Patricia Perry
    May 01, 2014 - 19:14

wow you truly are very educated for being so young. I hope many other young people read your article and realize this senseless murder of these beautiful creatures can and should be stopped. Its people like you that may someday put an end to this insane cruelty.

• Iron Man
    April 30, 2014 - 12:04

I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed- Michael Jordan

• Captain America
    April 30, 2014 - 09:41

Courage, Honor, Loyalty, Sacrifice. You're braver than you think.

• Thor
    April 30, 2014 - 09:39

Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree. Martin Luther

• Hulk
    April 30, 2014 - 09:39

Try to be like the turtle.... at ease in your own shell.

• Angela
    April 26, 2014 - 16:43

I am sure that Brandy has researched many sources, but just because his wording may have come from those sources doesn't mean he is not a real person or that his opinions aren't genuine. Bravo Brandy for speaking out!!

• Bridget
    April 26, 2014 - 08:48

I applaud Brady Russell for having the courage to speak out against the cruel and unviable commercial seal hunt. There is an active campaign of intimidation in areas of Atlantic Canada which prevents many people from speaking against the commercial seal hunt so it's refreshing to see someone - particularly someone so young - stand proud and share his views on the issue. Bridget Curran Atlantic Canadian Anti-Sealing Coalition

• Chant
    April 26, 2014 - 08:41

You are very brave. Bravo !!! Thank you for being a voice for the voiceless.

• Dolf
    April 26, 2014 - 07:45

There's a lot in what Brady has to say. Right from the pages of PETA, and ton of bullshit!

• Brady
      April 26, 2014 - 19:28

I write for many paper's and/or online news media. Here is something else I have wrote: Seal ''Hunt'' is no ''hunt'' it's a mass slaughter of marine animal's. The Canadian seal hunt is no hunt, its a cruel inhumane and not need slaughter of baby harp seal's most being between the age of 2 weeks and 3 months. Seal's are shot and clubbed. The Government of Newfoundland and Canada state that the ''hunt'' is humane and sealer's do everything in their power to make sure the seal's are dead fast and in a human way... but in fact there is NO Government aircraft or vessel's patrolling the water's to watch the sealer's and make sure they are doing this humanly... THIS IS NOT A HUMANE HUNT. This hunt is extremely cruel and inhumane - You have seal's trying to get away from the hunters but most of them can't swim so they drown. Sealer's DON'T make sure the seal's are dead - They throw them around, drag them and they also laugh and joke around as this slaughter is happening.

• Rob
      May 19, 2014 - 23:46

In fact Brady is a proud Sea Sheep. Until last week, he was under the impression that SSCS still had an active presence protesting the seal hunt and that 2008 was the year SSCS never got it's behind handed to it. The kid has been pretty brainwashed. He's actively deleting and banning any contrary fact or person on his new FB account. Pathetic really.

• OhMy
    April 26, 2014 - 00:00

If this article was written by a fellow from Gambo I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you. Anyone who has followed any on line discussion from anti sealers has seen everything this Bradley has said a million times. The largest marine mammal slaughter for example. 90,000 culled harpseals sounds like a lot. That number represents 1% of the herd total population. Proportionate to the size of the herd its nothing. Google anything Bradley has written, google it exactly. This is some far away anti sealing fundamentalist posing as a kid from NL They must he getting desperate

• Travis
      April 26, 2014 - 22:09

Nope, I actually know him, I'm from gambo too. He goes to my school. And yes I understand it's stupid but it's what he's passionate about, it's kinda weird.

• Anita Lautsch
    April 25, 2014 - 23:38

Dear Brady: Thank you so very much for having the courage and bravery to speak up for what you believe in. I live in British Columbia, and like you, I am against the seal hunt. More young people like yourself need to take a stand against this ridiculous hunt, and let our Government and citizens know that the hunt is unnecessary and unwanted in this day and age. Thank you once again for your support for this very worthwhile cause !!! -Anita Lautsch

• Valerie Peters
    April 25, 2014 - 22:22

Great article, full of truth. No one needs to wear the coats skinned off baby seals! They waste the meat, they burn excess pelts that they can't sell. A complete waste of canadian taxpayer dollars. Mismanaged commercial fishingand now blaming the seals for loss of Fish

• Ugh
      April 26, 2014 - 22:07

No one kills baby seals anymore, it's illegal.

• Daniela
    April 25, 2014 - 19:56

ERES UN ÁNGEL. ¡NUNCA TE CALLES,NUNCA TE RINDAS!

• Alma Rochelle
    April 25, 2014 - 18:26

About 30 years ago my yonger sister went on a campaign to save seals in the Orkneys. I was very proud of her courage to stand up and be counted for what was right. I hope your family are equally so. Older campainers like Captain Paul Watson of Sea Sheherd must be encouraged that there are young people in your generation following in their footsteps. Both the eloquent written word and active protester need each other to succeed. Good wishes for the future to you from England

• Bull
    April 25, 2014 - 13:49

Basically already dead, get over it.

• Herb Morrison
    April 25, 2014 - 12:03

Bradly. While I don't share your views on the seal hunt, I admire the quality of your article. Well written article young man. I hope that you would consider contributing your opinions to the media. There are loads of people out there, who deserve to have their concerns addressed, and could use someone with your "liberty of speech" to speak on their behalf. Go for it.

• Yo mama
      April 26, 2014 - 12:05

It was copied and pasted.

• Laurie Wilson
    April 25, 2014 - 10:29

It is very brave of you to share your views especially when they are unpopular and will likely be met with aggression. It is wonderful to know there are progressive, intelligent, compassionate young people like yourself who are trying to speak out for animals and people and make the world a better, more thoughtful place. We don't have to continue an activity just because it is tradition. We need forward thinkers in this world, people who are comfortable with change if it is an improvement. Mass and violent slaughter of a species for some marginal financial gain and for preserving 'tradition' is not acceptable. Thank you for speaking out.

• SEALER
    April 25, 2014 - 08:07

Hi Brady, I have been sealing for almost half a century and I can remember been sixteen when people would slaughter lambs, chickens, pigs and seals. I also at your age thought these things were cruel. To watch any animal die is sad. But as I grew older I saw the necessity for the use of these animals. When I look at the staving people of the world and we have so many seals we could be sending them with the help of organizations. Do your research on seals and sealing and if you fell the same that's fine, but you will see a lot crueler things happen to humans in your lifetime in person or on tv.

• S
      April 25, 2014 - 08:51

So state again what the necessity of seal pelts is? There was 0 seal meat landed from the hunt last year. Sounds to me like you are making more excuses for the hunt. And just because there are cruel and crueler things happening in the world, does that make this ok? Does that mean we should all accept cruelty and support it and contribute to it?

• Too Funny
      April 25, 2014 - 10:33

"There was 0 seal meat landed from the hunt last year." That's odd because three days ago the Telegram had a article of Taylors having 2,000 lbs for sale. Must be that new math being taught in schools.

• S
      April 25, 2014 - 11:20

I said "last year" - 2013 - not 3 days ago. Where did you learn your math? And that's information from DFO btw. I'm sure there's a reason why there are 2000 lbs of seal meat for sale. Because it tastes disgusting. No one wants it.

• Caught Again
      April 26, 2014 - 08:59

Looks like another ant-sealer caught telling fibs.

• Xaay
      May 08, 2014 - 17:55

I think instead of baby animals sent to feed starving people we should be sending birth control so there is less mouths to feed. That is the root of the problem