Column was an attack on seniors

“Adding to this — our looming labour requirements — is our aging population, which is perhaps the biggest threat to economic success and the very existence of this province.”
This is a sentence from the latest epistle by the president of the Board of Trade, Sharon Horan (The Telegram, June 7) on what is wrong with our province and how she can provide us with all the answers.

I regard her statement as ageism.

Telling us that the old threaten the “very existence of this province” incites negativity.

Hopefully, Horan’s solution for the salvation of the province will merely involve the rounding up of the old into MacWork Camps where we — and our work ethic that built this province from what it once was — will only be subject to sub-minimum wages with no pensions or health benefits.

This is the same treatment that has already driven our children to Alberta, Ontario and every other place that provides decent wages, pensions and benefits.

Amazingly, when you export the young adult component of your population and are left with a mainly menopausal one, your birth rate goes down and the birth rate of where they went goes up.

Instead of viewing seniors as a steady source of funds from their pensions, RRSPs, other investments, the money in our mattresses and even GIS that will keep her members from bankruptcy by purchasing their services and buying their goods, Horan sees only the negativity of our greater call on health care and other services.

It seems to be an unjustifiable fact to her that seniors need a bit of extra care in their senior years having paid their dues by building the province in their youth and middle years.

She, however, is quite satisfied to accept the gift of the current province that we have made ourselves old to leave her and her Board of Trade buds.

Perhaps if Horan thought more positively, like supporting the increased CPP or making pensions and benefits compulsory instead of continually ranting against paying her share of taxes and cutting the “red tape” (i.e. the rules that protect consumers from unscrupulous capitalists), she could be seen as trying to build the province for the future as opposed to cheapening everything so the young continue to go elsewhere.

While Horan does support more immigration, I suspect that she is hopeful those new immigrants will work for the low wages and no benefits that Newfoundland and Labrador youth no longer will.

Do you want scrunchions with that?

P.F. Murphy

St. John’s

Organizations: Board of Trade

Geographic location: Alberta, Ontario, Newfoundland and Labrador

Comments

Comments

• Yo mama
    June 13, 2014 - 13:21

If not for some of our seniors, we'd all be speaking German, if we were still alive....

• Gerry
    June 12, 2014 - 14:50

"ageism' is discrimination and rampant in this country. I retired from the reg force military at the grand old age of 46 (I joined when I was 17). Knowing that I was still quit young, I applied for a job with a former government owned organization that stated (at the time) it was hiring 'vets' (Afhganastan was in full swing). Now, in the military I was a former infanteer (6 years) & retired as a senior noncommisoned officier, a military medical tech ('medic') with various UN & NATO tours with training everywhere from the arctic to the Meditterrean. At times, I was a supervisor of anywhere from a dozen to about 30 personnel depending on the time of the year. So I applied for this certain non tech job. The response I recieved was that I didn't have the 'skills or experience' for such job. I was also told that it was a 'outdoor work' in different types of weather...I mean, on my resume I stated I exercised & tent-igloo slept in -40 and below weather well into my late thirties....a friend who was also military(reserves) with no tours and no exercises outside the martimes & no subordinates doing a desk job applied & got the same job. I was 46, this friend was about 30. The problem with those who discriminate against the so-called aged, is that they fail to realize that (hopefully) someday they too may be past their so-called 'prime'. We as a society need to realize that those today in their 60's, 70's, 80's are by and large a lot more physically healthy & active that those of the same ages 50+ yearsago...

• Fascapist
      June 12, 2014 - 22:38

It is FASCISM dude, which is what ALL military fights to perpetuate. Taste bitter doesn't it? People are living longer, and interest rates are down. Let this sentence sink it. Sounds like the equation for Utopia, yet, this is the biggest problem facing the business elite, who try to pass on this mentality to pension planners. WAR IS DESIGNED TO RAISE INTEREST RATES AND LOWER LIFE EXPECTANCY. Poor go to war, the Riches go to the cowardly B..... Ageism, sexism and racism are of one strain of self-hate. THe elites hate themselves and project it. Can you imagine me and Richard Alexander in an elevator, full of foreign workers? 6 or 7 hours of that, and put it on TV. Fascism is just stupidity, at it's root. Alexander and Horan are incredibly stupid, and afraid of not having a job. They are weak...see me becoming fascist..it is a slippery wet bannana to play on. The threat is the other Joan, and the stupid and the greedy are most threatened. I may be included, but at least I recognize it.

• Young Buck Saucy Bayman
      June 13, 2014 - 07:18

It's called Grey Power, they will save you all. They are a Neo-Fascist Force disguised as an insurance company. You will soon be old enough to join. Good luck. They go out at night and find 17 year olds dumb enough to join the military and beat them until they quit and go TO WORK. You are a whiner dude, that's why they no want hire you, They see it on you....I deserve, I...no one wants that. This Murphy letter is funny, but when you read between the lines, it is just whining, blame, latching on to generalisations like"We built the country, paid our dues", "youth no longer will" as if over 65 were some homogenous band of superheroes. No, this generation built nothing but a poverty mindset, and the government reflects it, the first weak-minded generation to become highly dependent on the state. A new generation, too smart to be tricked into war, and dead end work, is rising. We will look after you, if you put your teeth in, stop sooking and start talking sense!

• Joan Forsey
    June 12, 2014 - 12:18

In saying "our aging population" is "perhaps the greatest threat to economic success and the very existence of this province," Sharon Horan is NOT saying that "the old" threaten the very existence of NL. If the population is aging, obviously the number of young people is declining. Surely if you have fewer and fewer young people, this would threaten the economic success and the very existence of the province. It doesn't mean that the old pose the threat. The threat is posed by the decline in the numbers of the young.

• Anna
    June 12, 2014 - 09:26

An excellent letter. Ms. Horan needs to express herself in a less critical format, I know she has a huge passion for this Province but she needs to tone down her words in regards to seniors as she too will be a senior one day, it happens to all of us.

• Bobbing for French Fries
    June 12, 2014 - 07:48

So now they say we can't even make greasy old hamburgers anymore for ourselves. No wonder we are so fat, subsiding these poor business models. And if these immigrants think they suddenly free with people likes of Horan or Dick Alexander waving their deportation papers in front of them. Maybe they should be third world labor slaves, which is the only reason they are wanted here by these pieces of you know what.

• Pauline
    June 12, 2014 - 05:19

Fine article, our owns first.

• Tedmund
      June 12, 2014 - 07:20

"Our owns?" What does that mean in English? Also, "the people we elects?" Really?

• Gerry
      June 12, 2014 - 14:55

Really Tedmund? That's your response, making jabs at someone's use of grammer? Really? Nice.... Perhaps you need to get out more often....

• Charles Murphy
    June 12, 2014 - 05:00

First, most of our problems starts with the people we elects to represent us in the HOA. We are lead to believe , that were getting the best possible person for our district. "Really" were not, We need someone who can bring us into the 21first century, People who can build our economy, so our young can stay at home , and build a future for themselves. Like I keep saying we ship out our young, bring foreign workers to fill the gaps. Sooner or later we will have to put a stop to it, focus more on getting a good leader for the people and not for a party.