I sat down by the CBC and wept

My time with the “corpse,” as some of my colleagues have taken to calling the CBC, is up. It started 37 years ago in 1977.

That’s a long time to be with one company, and it’s given me an informed perspective on where this country’s public broadcaster may be headed.

The variety of work and experiences I’ve had with the CBC, in both television and radio, has kept the work challenging and interesting.

My job was declared redundant 16 months shy of my retirement goal.

Network producer positions have also been cut in Saskatchewan, Ottawa and Edmonton. We supplied content from our provinces to national shows, most of which originate in Toronto. I like to think our job was to knit the country together for CBC radio listeners. My counterparts in other locations are concerned because they know more cuts are coming.

There’s a pervasive sense of impermanence at the CBC these days, and it’s not conducive to creativity.

We hear the cliché “death by a thousand” cuts a lot when the CBC is mentioned.

It’s an apt cliché. Canadians might not care now, but they will, and then it may be too late.

There will probably always be a CBC, but it will become just a trusted news brand, a symbol the politicians will bring out when it’s convenient to present Canada as a civilized and advanced nation.

What is being squeezed out of the public broadcaster, drop by drop, is creativity.

Creativity makes culture. You can’t mandate creativity, you have to nurture it.

I joined CBC in Newfoundland and Labrador at the height of its creativity, and have watched it being whittled away, cut by cut, in the last two decades, until now I hardly recognize the place.

When I started my CBC career in St. John’s, there was an art deco radio studio downtown, and the ’60s-era architecturally designed building on Prince Philip Drive. I was hired in the summer of 1977 as a TV news reporter.

News was a small operation compared to the drama and music departments that had their own makeup artists, set designers, accountants, production assistants and local stars.

The ceiling of the big studio is still studded with heavy lights, but they are rarely used.

The studio where so many original productions were staged is empty most of the day, until the lights come on for “Here and Now.”

The set designers, costume and makeup departments are long gone, as are the stars.

Mary Walsh, Cathy Jones, Greg Malone, Andy Jones, Ray Guy, Tommy Sexton. They all started their careers at CBC in St. John’s. We’re no longer an incubator for that brand of local talent. We’re strictly a news operation now.

The radio building has been sold for condos. Radio and television staff work together from cubicles in a large room on the second floor of the TV building.

It’s hard to concentrate when mixing audio, I find. Harder to have an original thought.

But then, there’s less call for that.

In the old building, I used to have a small office, with an antechamber that contained two computers for making radio programs. Numerous freelancers used the facility, and, with my help, contributed important work to the radio network.

“Outfront” — now defunct — invited pitches from ordinary people who got paid to tell their stories on national radio. Then CBC had the luxury of focusing on diversity of voice and opinion. Those were the mantras.

We can no longer afford them. Clearing out my desk is like watching my work life flash before my eyes.

These days I avoid the arts wing of the building.

Our magnificant recording

Studio F is shut down; the remote recording mobile was last seen driving west on the TCH, and the baby grand piano was given away.

There used to be such a vibrant arts department at the CBC in this province. It produced, amongst other things, two hours of original music programming each week.

One of those programs is gone, the second will eventually be an amalgam of content from all of Atlantic Canada.

Those music programs fostered much of the rich musical talent in this place. Emerging musicians will have fewer occasions to be heard now.

Regional television will never be as well funded as it was when I started in the late ’70s.

Television viewing has changed, that’s true. I admit to being a Netflix binge watcher myself, but Canadians still cherish the collective experience of watching something in real time.

It’s happening now with World Cup soccer.

But to compete with what’s on Netflix we have to deliver content that’s important, distinctive and only available on the CBC.

The way forward is to fund creativity at the CBC, and remove from it the need to compete.

CBC should be setting the standard, and doing what other broadcasters aren’t doing.

Showcase the arts as well as headline news, foster the new generation of stars.

CBC radio, in particular, should continue to be the place that reaches into the country’s far corners to give voice to people with something important to say. People who are this country’s past, present and future.

The Canadian Media Guild is asking the federal government to reverse the $115-million deficit reduction action plan cuts that have come into full effect this year.

That will stem the flow of creative bloodletting currently underway.

Then the federal government should establish an independent panel with the mandate to advise within a year the best funding model to use for the CBC in future.

That panel can compare public broadcasters worldwide to come up with the best formula for Canada.

We’re not a poor country.

We’re a big country in size, with a small population.

We need the production skills and infrastructure already in place at the CBC to keep this country together and make it socially and intellectually the place we are proud to call home.

It’s worth filling out because you can see the direction in which we’re headed, if people don’t put up a fight for their public broadcaster now.

Regional operations like the one I joined 37 years ago may never be what they once were, the top shows in their markets.

They risk disappearing altogether.

It’s easy to blame the Harper government for what’s happening now, but where are the voices of dissent from the Liberals and New Democrats?

My colleagues need to hear, loud and clear, that Canadians do care about what happens to their public broadcaster.

Marie Wadden is an award-winning broadcaster and producer. Most recently, her work earned a silver award in New York City at the World's Best Radio festival.

After 37 years with the CBC, her last day is Monday.

Organizations: CBC, Canadian Media Guild

Geographic location: Atlantic Canada, Saskatchewan, Ottawa Edmonton Toronto Newfoundland and Labrador Prince Philip Drive New York City

Comments

Comments

• Teri
    July 12, 2014 - 16:13

An excellent and thoughtful letter. I couldn't agree more with Ms. Wadden. It is incredibly short sighted and self serving of this government to cut back the CBC. The CBC is a part of our history and continues to reflect our diverse and changing culture. The 'dumbing down' of our country's culture is an awful route to take. There IS no replacement for CBC Radio, whether online or in podcasts or on your radio. It is rather amusing and disheartening to read some of these comments though: the media has a right to withhold information and sources. Asking for complete freedom of information is foolish and shortsighted. No other media outlet has to give up sources either. AS to 'left-leaning' and the like? I prefer anything to the sophomoric and lowest common denominator approach of the likes of Sun, Fox and most major American networks: which is exactly what will be left if the CBC goes. Look at the line ups of prime time TV other than the CBC. With the exception of TFO, TVO and the like, we have nothing but pap. And to those talking about their tax dollars? It is pennies, folks, pennies. You pay MORE for your cable or satellite then you do for the CBC. Start thinking about outlying communities too, not just your insular suburban existence. It strikes me that those making the blanket negative statements about the CBC and attempting to come across as informed and educated opinions about where 'their' money should be spent are any BUT informed and educated. Sad that so many Canadians are so close minded. But I shouldn't be surprised. these ARE the people who voted in Harper after all. We reflect our governmental choices. As an educator and worker in the arts and culture industry, this systematic dismantling of all that once made Canada a vibrant and intelligent democracy makes me sick as we become a most ignorant bureaucracy. I suppose these commentators would like their money to go to the tar sands too. Sheesh. Wake up folks.

• Mel
    July 09, 2014 - 17:54

It is simply impossible for a publicly funded broadcaster to not advance a socialist driven agenda within their broadcastings. Canadians love the CBC! That’s why they won’t pay for it unless they are forced to through the tax system. De-fund the left-wing CBC. Today.

• Margaret Grattan
    July 09, 2014 - 14:43

As a long time listener, reader, watcher of CBC, I'm very angry at what this conservative government is doing to the CBC. It's a huge loss to all Canadians to lose the CBC and its impartial news reports. This government will never, ever, get my vote. Let's hope their high-handed and devious way is demolished next election.

• Paul Winkler
      August 16, 2014 - 17:54

Not only should this government be defeated at the polls, some cabinet members should be charged with treason for dismantling the very fabric of Canada for the sole benefit of for-profit corporations, many foreign owned or controlled.

• Paul Winkler
      August 16, 2014 - 17:56

"Canadians have an opportunity to let politicians know they care through a survey that CBC is circulating." Pity there was no link to the survey. I tried to Google it, but got no useful hits.

• Highlander
    July 07, 2014 - 15:03

We're talking here about an organization that is owned by and funded by the taxpayer; yet, they refuse to allow the Auditor General to doing an audit of their finances; they refuse to devulge Freedom of Information requests, particularly by other media outlets, and especially all requests dealing with the salary levels of the CBC's top executives. No other government orginization is even allowed to contemplate doing that. Then they seriously expect the taxpayers to continue throwing huge sums of money at them, but don't want to be held accountable over how it's spent. All this for an organization that is really nothing more then a propaganda machine for the federal Liberal party . How anyone can support this waste of money, especially when the cash could be better spent on health care, etc., is beyond me. Time to either privatize it or shut it down altogether.

• Brian Smith
    July 05, 2014 - 14:30

CBC is a Torontocentric network, that doesn't reflect all of Canada. Maybe it does a good job with Atlantic Canada but that's it. I would actually love to see the CBC defunded and privatized. Where can I sign a petition for that?

• a Canadian man
    July 04, 2014 - 13:01

Don't fund the CBC with my tax money, while you're at it, don't fund healthcare either, those heart patients ain't gettin my hard earned money. Or bridges, I don't live anywhere near a bridge, we don't need those. How about the military, what have they done for me lately? Fire departments, never had a fire. Don't need them. The list goes on.

• a business man
    July 02, 2014 - 23:49

I, as a Canadian citizen, voter, and taxpayer, completely and unconditionally do not care about what happens with the public broadcaster. Actually I do care. I want the CBC to die, and I want it to die soon. Please inform your colleagues accordingly.

• zozimus
      July 13, 2014 - 00:59

Thank you, generous citizen. Perhaps the rest of us could take a vote on whether to continue funding your health care and your kids' education, too.

• Ron Wilton
    July 02, 2014 - 16:23

This is all about harper 'getting even' for all the bad press he gets for all the dumbass things he does. He will kill the CBC before he leaves and I can't for the life of me figure out why the CBC doesn't go after him big time and show the world what an ass he is before it's too late.

• Dwight Williams
    July 02, 2014 - 12:16

Standing with CBC-Radio Canada. I live in Ottawa, but this belongs to us all. From Alert to Point Pelee, from Haida Gwaii to St. John's. Thank you for Outfront, Marie! It has not been forgotten!

• David Weldon
    July 01, 2014 - 19:23

In my opinion, the CBC's newest strategy to invert the business model and focus on mobile digital services first and broadcasting last is flawed. in either model, original content is required else the CBC becomes similar to Yahoo with useless "digital bites" as a substitute for "sound bites". Culture is lost as kids glance at their smartphones for the latest news, if it can be called news. Fear not Ms. Wadden, Canadians will eventually realize that the bean counters at the CBC don't know what they are doing and funding will be restored for real journalism and original content. the problem is inertia and will take time to reverse. I wish you well in your next endeavor outside of the CBC.

• Murray B
    July 01, 2014 - 13:59

The CBC has always been a liberal propaganda machine that should have been eliminated decades ago. There is no way to justify spending public money to present liberal fantasy as fact. Here in Alberta we have a much more neutral public broadcaster in KSPS from Spokane so we don't need a politically biased national broadcaster to repeat central Canadian lies. Good riddance to the CBC.

• Judy Bernstein
    July 01, 2014 - 01:40

I deeply care. I don't understand why everyone is so silent about this. I cannot believe that Canadians don't care. How do we turn up the volume on this issue? Have we all been so deadened by all the cuts? I can't believe the silence about the mail either. Wake up Canada!

• a business man
      July 03, 2014 - 13:15

If YOU care, YOU pay for it. I am very happy about the cuts to the CBC, and I am happy about the cuts to the mail. Judy, it seems to me that you have failed to realize that Canadians simply do not want to pay for things we don't need. From my point of view, I don't want to pay for the CBC to exist because there are other alternatives that are profit-making organizations that do not require taxpayer money. From my point of view, I don't want to pay for Canada Post mail service because the other companies are far more reliable and because email and the Internet have drastically reduced the need for letter mail. So again, if you want the CBC and Canada Post to exist, then you pay for it.

• Holly Crooks
    June 30, 2014 - 16:23

Over the 35+ years I've been a regular listener of CBC radio and for the more than 50 years of CBC television viewing, I have come to see the CBC as an essential part of our Canadian identity. By that I mean that the CBC broadcasts have had a significant unifying effect on Canadians from coast to coast. By telling us our own stories, playing the music of our own artists, talking about our literature, our artists, letting us know about how other Canadians live in this vast country, the CBC has facilitated our awareness and connectivity to each other in a way that is distinct from every other media and from the internet. I am appalled to see the CBC slowing dismantled and becoming more and more centralized in Toronto, where there is little to no awareness or appreciation for regional programming, reporting or the diverse nature of communities and what they value outside large urban settings. What we don't need is more American programs, trash reality shows, or celebrity gossip programs. We need documentaries, investigative journalism, critical commentary from Canadian experts in all walks of life. We need original programs unique to Canada that relate to us and our history and culture. We need the CBC.

• Stephanie Harnett
    June 30, 2014 - 13:36

Last year CBC rolled out a 10-part online training program called "The Art of Editing". I worked with two very technical and creative minds at CBC - video editing experts to pull the content together. Their passion and skill amazed me. The training was designed to help teach journalists and camera operators editing techniques so that the footage they produced was high quality. Using expertise internally to teach, share and inspire is a timeless and clever way of keeping the fire lit, a reminder to those internally of just how good you are. It's reach was national without anyone leaving their computer. If creativity is stifled, adapt and find new ways to create outstanding journalism. That is CBC's history. Organize teaching and sharing internally, offer it back as a consultant externally to enable those at CBC to not just carry the torch, but keep it burning brightly.

• Larry warwaruk
    June 30, 2014 - 11:54

Throughout my adult life CBC Radio has entertained and educated me, and I have always considered its programming as a cornerstone for my identity as a Canadian.

• Melvin Pero
    June 30, 2014 - 06:40

I guess Harper has to figure out a way to pay for those prisons he is building, which will keep our communities safer. I think our communities would be safer without him in Ottawa.

• Ken Lauder
    June 30, 2014 - 06:31

For my Entire adult life the CBC has amazed me, daily, with all that I don't know and I'm continually greatful for that.

• Melody Pierson
    June 30, 2014 - 00:58

About 30 years ago, I worked for CBC as a music consultant. Prior to that, as a singer/songwriter, I had the wonderful opportunity to perform live on CBC TV and radio as well as being part of several produced variety/arts shows and magazines. What a treasure, I thought...to have so much talent in one place...(Montreal). It is has been heartbreaking watching our government dismantle one of the few institutes in the arts that sets us apart and in a class of its own from other mainstream media. Shame on our government. To quote the band, A Great Big World, "Say Something...I'm giving up on you..."

• Eudene Luther
    June 30, 2014 - 00:50

What's happening to CBC is a National disgrace. I'm so sorry Marie, for you and all your colleagues who have been treated so heartlessly. Maybe you should circulate a petition to send to Harper's government as well as to the leaders of the other parties. People love CBC

• Boyd Holloway
    June 29, 2014 - 17:06

I have never met you personally, Marie, but wholeheartedly agree with your comments re CBC. Sad that stellar journalists like John Furlong, Richard Beaton et al are, quite literally, a dying race. Happy retirement!!

• Michael McDowell
    June 29, 2014 - 15:50

Sad to read this, but not that surprised. I heard about the bad news on NPR news in Washington on Friday morning. The management of CBC News and Current Affairs over the past 15 years has been mediocre and full of careerist beancounters. It used to be peopled -- well half of it -- with creative, smart people who cared about journalism and the "why" not just the who, what, where, and when questions, especially in radio. I left CBC in 1997 after 14 pretty good years and pride in what we did, ending my last nine years in Washington DC at the bureau here which is now a pale imitation of itself in size and relevance. US National Public Radio was a minor leaguer compared to the CBC I knew then, with more foreign bureaux and quality programming. Today it's the reverse -- NPR (squeezed though it too has been) is of the higher standard of the old CBC of the 80s and 90s. Only a real outcry by the public and Parliament could change this, I assume, but maybe not that many people care? If so, what you get is what you pay for, I'm afraid. Happy to have been an enthusiastic CBCer. Hell, even a BBCer way back and it has its woes, though nothing like the CBC. Loved the Newfoundland programming by the way, thanks Ms. Wadden!

• David Cullen
    June 29, 2014 - 14:42

I'd like to fill out the CBC survey. Why isn't there a link to the survey, in the newspaper article?

• Laurie Palmer
    June 29, 2014 - 14:14

Where can I complete the survey? This process is the race to the bottom. "Reality" shows are mindless drivell and, in my opinion, a complete and total waste of time, simply The National Enquirer on television. This way you get no information about real issues in your country or the world as a whole and governments like it that way. 1984 has arrived. Disgraceful. I love the CBC and I don't want to lose programs like 22 Minutes, Rick Mercer, The Passionate Eye, The Nature of Things, Doc Zone, The Fifth Estate, even Dragon's Den sometimes. I really would like to fill out the survey. The National is at the top of my viewing list but CBC has had some absolutely marvelous programs. Street Legal, This is Wonderland, the medical one that I can't remember the name of, North of Sixty and the list goes on. Please save the CBC because I agree with you that we will be sorry when it is reduced to local news only. We have already seen cuts to investigative journalism so we are not getting the full story on world affairs or Canadian affairs. I want to fill out the survey.

• Ron Fisher
    June 29, 2014 - 13:18

It a shame on our politicians. The CBC has always been the voice of Canada., bringing our wonderfully large country together, culturally and geographically. It has been our voice to Canadian humor, music, news and Nationalism. We need that voice. Stand up and speak up for the CBC before it's too late.

• Laurence Stevenson
    June 29, 2014 - 10:39

Nicely said. We will grant that many things have changed over the years but we still need CBC to connect us however that will be done in the future. It"s our Canadian 'glue'. Thank you for all your work at Outfront. We loved you.

• sean flynn
    June 28, 2014 - 22:52

So much choice on tv and radio today but i still find myself drifting back to cbc. Too bad the cuts are starting to show and programming is suffering. Canada needs a good public broadcaster. The BBC is a proud symbol of the UK and CBC should be the same for us.

• A. Aguathuna
    June 28, 2014 - 22:51

A long career paid for from the public purse-good riddance.

• Angy Stimson
    June 28, 2014 - 22:24

If we allow this carnage to happen we will look back upon this loss of the CBC the same way we now look upon the loss of the innovative and magnificent Avro Arrow. We will have lost a magnificent National resource.

• Bye Bye Rex Murphy.
    June 28, 2014 - 20:31

I like the devotion to in-depth political content and analysis that the CBC has. Other networks don't do this as well because shows of this sort don't have high viewership or bring in a lot of advertising dollars. By making severe cuts to political coverage and creative content the government is contributing to the dumbing-down of our intellectually dimming population. Pretty soon all we'll see on CBC are shows like Big Brother.

• Marlene Clarke
    June 28, 2014 - 18:58

I think it is so very sad. Can't understand why these things are happening. Missmanagement on someone's part like everything else these days. I don't know what will become of us, we are losing everything meaningful and important to us.

• Ace
    June 28, 2014 - 18:44

"Where are the voices of the New Democrats?" Here: http://petition.ndp.ca/stand-up-for-the-CBC where it's been for months.

• Jim Sayles
    June 28, 2014 - 18:08

We seem to waste so much money and energy on stupid things yet we are willing to give up the important things such as news and views from outer reaches of Canada. This just stinks!!!

• FINTIP
    June 28, 2014 - 17:43

The difficulty the Harper Conservatives have with the CBC is two-fold. Firstly, it is ideologically opposed to it in concept - that is, to the very existence of a public broadcaster. You only have to consider who its friends are. The private media sector in this country is predominantly aligned with conservatism - the more conservative the better. We have two newspapers that pass themselves off as 'national'. The National Post is the closest thing we have to a FOX media in print. It regularly demands the end of CBC. The Globe is also a strong supporter of the Harper brand. Despite efforts by some of its reporters and columnists to hold Harper to account, they are consistently over-ridden by the owners (Bell Canada) when it comes to endorsing right wing, business friendly parties at election time. The Globe has consistently supported Harper. The bottom line is just that - that private media and its vertically integrated conglomerate parents can't wait to see the end of CBC - and Harper is doing his best to accommodate them. The second complaint the Harperites have with the CBC is that they see it as a threat - not the arts, entertainment, or even the public affairs segments you speak of, but the news division. My guess is that if CBC would only throw in the towel on news, Harper might allow it to continue on with those other mandates. But as Ms. Wadden points out, in all likelihood it will be the news department that turns out the lights. Is the CBC a liberal news organization as Harper contends. Of course. But that liberal bias is an essential part of keeping the right-wing private media honest. There has to be a counter-point to the 'let them eat cake' mentality that pervades the other media. As for the lack of support from the Liberals and NDP, both of these centre-left parties feel obliged to walk a fine line. The national survey of public attitudes toward the CBC back in 2011 actually tagged the Conservatives as the party most likely to protect the CBC and the Liberals the least likely. That of course was a reflection of the overall support for Harper at the time. All of that no doubt will have changed now that a majority of Canadians see the Harper government as something of a dictatorship - not a benign one at that. Has the CBC contributed to its own downfall. Absolutely. For much of its existence, the CBC was riddled with pompous, elitist, empire building types. Most in this province had their feet on the ground - including Marie Wadden - but even here there were always some who stood out - who wanted to stand out - as snobs. And then there was CBC's constant irritation of competitor newsmen - reporters who drove their own vehicle, who carted and used their own equipment, and who essentially functioned as chief-cook-and-bottle washer on assignments. These no less capable people looked across the room at the small army of CBC specialists - each of whom was better paid by far. All that said, most Canadians agree there is a need for a public broadcaster in this country. That need has never been greater than at present. The CBC - worts and all - has on balance earned its keep on the public purse.

• Deborah Angrave
    June 28, 2014 - 16:57

There are many skills needed to become a compelling and insightful producer, reporter and editor. The trickle down from this decision will effect courses in communication in schools across the country. Where do you go to ply these skills now? Digital news sites accept piece work at the lowest possible price. Who co-ordinates the message and cares about building and following stories as they develop over time? If it only for hits how will the audience be affected? There are some producers left who will care enough to create compelling content but if they can't survive on volume sales where do they turn to use these skills? Who will teach people entering the business in the coming years? Writing essays is not storytelling. It is a unique craft combining multiple skills that take years to hone and many mentors to help shape and focus. Community channels, mandated by the CRTC, to force monopolies to 'give back' to the areas they serve, are starving out committed and dedicated volunteers by offering less access time, training and support to citizens who are, often, the first to alert to trends and issues that grow to national attention such as overfishing leading to loss of fish stocks; forestry practises that threatened water sheds, fish streams & climate; rise of First Nations concerns for the health of their families on reserves, effects of residential schools on generations of families; loss of healthcare and support for the most impoverished inner city residents but also the stories of local heroes, inventors & businesses that give back. All these stories will be diminished through concentrated, central urbanized digital media. In the early 1990's, I remember a national TV News Director stating that if the story didn't involve guns or blood they weren't going to send crews to cover it. It this the view of Canada that will be shown to viewers around the world in the future? Where do we learn how to model citizenry? Is public opinion a tweet or Facebook status now?

• chardon labrie
    June 28, 2014 - 16:10

as a cbc supporter, i feel for those losing their jobs. anyone (myself included) who has worked in the media for any length of time has been canned and bobbed back up at another station. it is a kick in the gut. as for what is going on at the cbc, i do blame harper. i fear you can not expect any help from this government. but i also think that the cbc has take a clear, hard look at itself. other stations are cutting back too. it weakens the on-air product. but i think producing shows such as "little mosque on the prairies,' and other dramas are not good investments. personally i don't want the cbc to do things that other independent producers do way better. the cbc is great at radio, docs and news...international and local. stick to that. get out of high priced ventures like dramas and the olympics. i know how hard fellow news hounds at the cbc work. no one wants to see people lose their job months short of retirement and i think most canadians agree that the cbc is a big part of our national culture and heritage. we all should try and protect it.

• J Finla
    June 28, 2014 - 15:51

Excellent article, Marie! I would like to see ALL of the redundant people at CBC write an article similar to yours telling about their experiences as they leave their cherished positions at CBC. I have always viewed those working at CBC as the top of their field in Canada. I you are chosen by CBC, you are the best. I for one am more sad than disgusted by the lack of support by our government for our No. 1 Canadian icon. Next they will probably clear all streams of beavers on beavers so that big foreign companies can build in our wilderness.

• Cindy McCallum Miller
    June 28, 2014 - 13:06

Canadians will realize when it is too late how valuable the CBC was - not just for entertainment culture but to let us hear our own voice in a sea of commercialism and political manipulation. Without the CBC to ask "why" or "why not", our voices turn to meaningless chatter and regurgitation of political master's diatribe. When the CBC is allowed to crumble and fall, so does our country's integrity and spirit. That should make us all weep.

• Coco jones
    June 28, 2014 - 11:36

CBC is our heritage- and needs to be protected- not diced apart so that there is nothing left.

• Lauretta Santarossa
    June 28, 2014 - 10:08

It does indeed make one want to lay down one's microphone and tape recorder and weep. What a terrible legacy this current government is leaving us. Instead of gathering us together around the hearth, it's ripping out our common heart.