Author doesn’t get salmon management

This is in response to Jed Samson’s letter in Monday, June 30’s edition of The Telegram (“Keep up the good work Parks Canada”).

Mr. Sampson — like most others here in Newfoundland and Labrador, you clearly don’t understand proper salmon management.

Sorry, but I don’t have time to explain it to you now as I am too busy conserving salmon by hooking and releasing so anglers like you can’t kill them all.

Rick Maddigan

St. John’s

Geographic location: Newfoundland and Labrador

Comments

Comments

• Fair Game
    July 09, 2014 - 18:04

Fish Lips...you ask how many 'catch and release' salmon actually survive...fair question. According to the majority of peer reviewed scientific studies the answer is most (90% plus) . The survival rates are fairly high even when some anglers aren't releasing them properly (see Conne River Study Dempson and Porter). Naturally, as water temperatures increase, catch and release mortality rates will increase also. But just like education is the key to teach anglers the proper way to release fish, education is also the key to teach anglers when not to release fish (i.e. when temperatures exceed 20 C). As an angler I'd rather use my time to help educate those anglers who still don't understand the rationale behind catch and release or the proper method and times to practise it, rather than argue with someone who won't be convinced otherwise that catch and release works no matter how much science is available to support it. Those people are simply too ignorant and/or too selfish to care. Now let me ask you a question Fish Lips....how many retained dead salmon survive to spawn?

• fish lips
    July 08, 2014 - 13:58

how many 'catch and release' salmon actually survive? is there a number? is there any way to know for sure? seems to me to be a huge question mark there.

• Jed Sampson
    July 07, 2014 - 11:50

I may be pathetic in your view , whoever you are. But I do have enough courage to sign my name to my e-mail comments.

• Open Eyes
    July 07, 2014 - 10:18

@ Jed Sampson.....why don't you read the statement you just wrote,... 'most Newfoundlanders demand retention angling over catch and release'. This is the problem Mr. Sampson not the solution. For god sake man open your eyes. You are pathetic!

• Jed Sampson
    July 04, 2014 - 16:50

No need to explain Mr. Maddigan! I'm glad to see that you do recognize that most Newfoundlanders demand retention angling over catch and release . For the most part, retention anglers in this province are permitted to kill two small salmon per year out of some 180 salmon rivers. You and your catch and release friends have a free ticket to catch and release all day long, every day for three to four months of the angling season in pretty well any water temperature conditions without any harassment from river wardens or river monitors. How many salmon do you kill in the run of a year under the pretense of conservation? It doesn't take a University Professor to figure out the math on that one!

• The wild elusive Salmon
    July 04, 2014 - 08:21

Hahaha. How many can you do per hour? Haha keep up the good work, keeping us safe. May I suggest weatherboarding as an appropriate torture. Doesn't matter. We will never talk. Eat me why don't you?