The absurdity of monarchism and churchism

The Telegram

Letters to the editor are often noted by their concision, a good reason not to write them in the minds of some.

But the electronic world of “tweets” marches on and will soon replace a well-crafted letter or even editorials no matter how concisely they are presented.

The problem with concision is that it is difficult to give due diligence to the exception, and exceptions are what sometimes make the world interesting and give hope for better ways to do things.

So, with apologies to the good and bold knights of the past, and the true and caring clerics of the present, I offer this general condemnation of monarchism and churchism.

I could easily have included nationalism as the third component of this triad of evil but then there’s the problem of concision.

In keeping with this years crop of “knights of the garter” appointments, I am reminded of Mick Jagger and his knighthood some years ago.

I am also reminded that, concomitantly, Keith Richards declined the honour and established himself as the rock of that group while Jagger was the roll.

But the Jagger award, along with many others before and since, is just another symptom that monarchism in the western tradition has all but choked on its own absurdity.

By contrast, contemporary monarchs of the middle eastern variety are only now in the full bloom of their oil-based power and domination over people.

But the oil will go and so will they.

The world will soon see the end of kings, sheiks, shahs, potentates and high clerics of all kinds.

Indeed, the 21st century will be noted for this distinction.

The history of monarchism and churchism is nothing short of a dung-heap of deeds.

It is a history of war and rape, molestation and deceit, murder and treachery, domination and manipulation.

But as they wither, and they surely will, beware of pretenders to these crowns of power, be vigilant of those dark egos who would fill the void and promise us economic salvation … heaven on Earth.

Monarchism and churchism have become absurd.

Clerics, ayatollahs and evangelics have become dangerous. They were always dangerous, it’s just that more of us modern day serfs and infidels are acutely aware of this.

We used to publicly hang child molesters and rapists. Countless numbers have escaped justice over time, become chameleons sequestered in the enclaves of church power. Kings and churches indeed.

I was once acquainted with the writing of a rather obscure and minor thinker of the early 19th century who remarked at one point, “the world will not rest until the last king is hung by the guts of the last priest.”

Pity the enslaved, but despise the enslaver.

Robert Rowe

St. John’s

Comments

Comments

• Terry Loder
    July 08, 2014 - 04:30

Greetings Mr. Rowe, and thank you for your letter. I am certain C Hitchens would have smiled, as I have today, after reading your letter.

• Woof (Channelled from my Labrador Retriever's past life )
    July 07, 2014 - 15:29

Bow-wow-wow. An Organization like a church is an abstraction. It is not even the sum of the people. By that I mean it is not the balance as Chris says, of so much invisible good and so little but memorialized harm. Our duty as a species is to participate in planetary Evolution, adaptation and survival. The relationships (not org) we have with each other are the touchstone and it is now global relationships and getting globallyer. A (gulch!) New World Order. Church, the Sciences, Politics, Journalism quarrel about things they clearly lack the Wisdom to entertain. The poets hint and the tinkers shoot the moon as they display too much religious mind to be held by religion. William Blake. Or, too much scientific method to be checked by science. Jack Parsons. These are benign madmen compared to some modern no thinking, never done nothing worthwhile 'leaders' who speak to for organizations and mock and blow up everyone but themselves. Only people with a proper relationship to poetry and rocketry should be allowed to lead. We need to survive to leave this planet someday, in at least 3 Billion years. Wherever we go we will need good poetry if things do really turn out to be like hitchhickers guide to the galaxy. People need identity and status. Mammals need it. The more you learn about religion the more sympathy you gain for the failures of mankind to live up to self-imposed legislation fit only for Angels. Language and technology have always supported religion and science when they were one and today; divided? Those ignorant of the Word or the World are always a step behind of course. Whether someone is a dyed in the wool rapture believer or down in Arizona waitin for aliens there is just as much identity and status crisis there as there is in Breaking Amish. Not much. They are all in as much or more control as David Icke and the Queen are examples of people who won't let us evolve if given airwaves. Alex Jones and Stephen Harper. Coleman, the Pope nor Ottenhiemer. To the properly educated (self-brainwashed) this whole concept of kiddy play secret societies in 2014 is a jolly laugh. You can foster Catholic values and not attend organizational witness. Protestantism amid British Imperialism dominating science has give us a post enlightenment scientific racism that was unfortunately worstly abused as a theory and concept by European Imperial adopters in need of justification. The Queen has my Marc Jacobs Water Pillow and won't give it back. So what, I Claim Atlantis!! No givey backs! Levity and a laugh is the best response to an unsolvable letter like this, isn't it? As for the order of the garter that is just an old cross dressing ritual of the monarchy. King Arthur is gone. He will come again. I also claim Avalon. As Metaphysical King of Avalon I command you all to go to Whisky pit and love one'other for da summer in an old bus and BBQ & forget all this business about church aliens and state reptilians.Bow-wow-wow. Go. now!

• chris
    July 07, 2014 - 13:08

As an absent business owner(years ago), I was lucky to have one of the best managers that money could buy. When I visited the premises, I would sometimes note some of the little things that needed done. Finally, one day she said to me:- You know, I do one hundred things here in one day, but the only thing that you see is the one thing that is not done." This statement can be applied to the church. It has done much good over the years.

• Herb Morrison
    July 07, 2014 - 08:24

Mr. Rowe; the only thing which might exceed the absurdity of either Monarchism or Churchism would be the level of hypocrisy, audacity, and narrow-mindedness contained in your submission. Your assertion that ' the history of Monarchism and Churchism is nothing short of a dung heap of deeds,' could and should read; "The history of Humankind is, in part, nothing short of a dung heap of deeds." To either state or imply that only specific groups or individuals are capable of committing acts of exploitation or violence is both hypocritical and absurd in the extreme, not to mention nauseatingly judgmental and God-like in tone.

• Doug Smith
    July 07, 2014 - 08:05

Mr. Rowe a fine letter indeed. Mr. Burke, if as you state, you know more of the history of both kingship and religion than in Mr. Rowe‘s letter, then therefore, how can you be anything but in agreement with Mr. Rowe’s letter. I know I am. Doug Smith, Grand Falls-Windsor

• Colin Burke
      July 09, 2014 - 20:55

Mr. Smith, my knowing more of the history of monarchy and the churches than is contained in Mr. Rowe's letter does not necessarily mean I know as much about them as you do. Nor does your knowing more about their history than is contained in that letter necessarily mean that you know an awful lot about it. Rigid logic is not your forte, is it, Mr. Smith?

• Colin Burke
    July 07, 2014 - 06:42

Mr. Rowe's letter makes it clear that he deems kingship and churches to be absurd, but he has not yet shown me why I should: I know rather more of the history of both kingship and religion than his letter itself actually sets forth for the benefit of his readers.