A response to ‘Hateful, harmful, unacceptable’

Oh, please give this intolerant outrage a rest!

Why do Kyle Curlew and every other LGBTQ activist label anything that doesn’t agree with their lifestyle choices as “hateful” and “unacceptable” and run to any and every court to silence the dissenters?

The self-righteousness of this group is shocking. Who do they think they are?

Christians in this country have been, and continue to be, very tolerant in accepting the rule of our nation’s laws.

Nevertheless, to a Christian, sin is sin.

This is not “fundamentalist ideology.” This is not bigotry and not hateful. Anyone who believes so is ignorant of the Christian faith.

Quite simply, Christians will never, ever believe that sin, including sexual sin, is anything but evil.

As such, Christians will not knowingly condone or participate in anything that promotes sin and, in this free country of ours, they shouldn’t legally have to.

Christians do not hate gays and at no time did the letter in The Herald say homosexuals were “evil.”

As for The Herald running the letter, it doesn’t matter which publication ran it, the response from the LGBTQ activists would be the same — an over the top, vicious attack on anyone who or anything that is “out of touch with the social, cultural and political contexts” that they have constructed in their own image.

Like the abortion debate, the same-sex debate is far from over, no matter how much the pro-abortion and LGBTQ supporters name call, demonize and litigate dissenters.

Linda Hogan

Port Union

Organizations: The Herald, Linda HoganPort Union

Comments

Comments

• Colin Burke
    August 18, 2014 - 08:55

Paul J, when I call something sinful, I do so in the expectation that other people who claim to endorse my religion will conform, not those who are not members of that religion. It is when I offer an argument grounded in common knowledge or facts easily discovered that there is an expectation that others will either accept it or attempt however weakly to refute it instead of picking and choosing their own conclusions regardless of ordinary understanding. Whether or not my belief is correct that God gave me the faculty of reason, it seems to me to me to be evident, irrespective of religious belief, that I have that faculty; it will take some doing to convince me that I have not. You seem to be right, though, in saying Christians seem to pick and choose what to believe, if only because so many Christians differ so much about what is right or wrong, and I believe that this observation of yours is particularly accurate when applied to those who claim to be Christian and then choose to see no wrong in sodomy.

• Herb Morrison
    August 15, 2014 - 17:42

Hating the Sin but loving the Sinner is something which Jesus taught His followers by example. An example of this would be the occasion when Jesus challenged the howling mob who were about to stone a woman caught committing adultery. Jesus saved he woman's life thereby forgiving her sin. However, He then challenged the woman to go and sin no more.

• Colin Burke
    August 15, 2014 - 10:03

Paul, you seem to be assuming that the only alternatives are relying on authority and "simply making only a personal value judgement." I believe there can be reasonable conclusions from arguments drawing on common knowledge. I offered you one such argument for my deeming sodomy to be wrong (and therefore "sinful") and so far you have not answered that. Most of the punishments the Old Testament offered, such as death for breaking the Sabbath, were actually freely accepted by those who freely chose the Jewish religion. I don't believe the Bible said actually that some people should be slaves, unless perhaps it imposed slavery as a punishment, but that it assumed slavery as a fact of life -- as wage-slavery is today -- and then said how slaves should be treated, which is a different matter. Anyway, deciding rationally whether certain actions are right or wrong is a different question from what you call the tendency of Christians perversely to accept Biblical authority in some cases and reject it in others, and I prefer to focus on the former even as you prefer to focus on the latter; I am not well versed in Scriptural theology.

• paul j
      August 15, 2014 - 13:51

you can have your own opinion as to what you think is right or wrong, but when you call something sinful, that is a religous judgement that comes with an expectation for others to conform... if you deem that god gave you the ability to make that assessment for yourself then you still are calling on a religous believe to support bigotry. I stand behind my statement that Christians pick and choose what they believe and call sinful...

• paul
    August 14, 2014 - 06:55

the issue at hand, as I understand it, is that the letter in the Herald is seen to promote hatred of the LGBTQ community by condemning it as sinful and what not. I don't know about the rest of you but if someone wrote letters to the public calling me a sinner, I would be quite offended and angry about it. I think that gay people have every right to be offended by such letters, and the responses from posters who defend their right to condemnn others. you can call on the bible to support your beleives but at the end of the day, when you have the ability to chose which parts of the bible you will believe...then you have chosen to believe that homexuality is a sin. I call that bigotry. you go against the teachings of the bible already, because you don't support slavery, genocide, killing people for working on the sabbath, so you can and do select what you want to believe in the bible. that you choose to believe that homosexualtiy is a sin, does mean you are a bigot.

• Colin Burke
      August 15, 2014 - 08:20

Paul, I just read again Ms. Hogan's letter and found in it no reference to the Bible. Some Christians decide questions of right and wrong by using the God-given gift of human understanding. One of the things I understand about men sodomizing men is that it shows a lack of respect -- respect which I deem necessary in anyone grateful to be alive -- for the particularly female embodiment of the privilege of human generation. Sorry to sound so abstract, but in this case such understatement seems essential to printability.

• paul
      August 15, 2014 - 09:21

colin- perhaps no reference to the bible, but reference to sin...so , in calling homesexual behaviour sinful, is she simply makeing a personal value judgement or relying on biblical teachings at some level? do you claim that the bible does not teach homosexuality to be sinful? and do you claim that its okay to take the bible at its word for one thing that you agree is 'sinful' but ignore the bible on other things that you do not agree with,...such as death for breaking the sabbath? my point entirely is that Christians pick and choose what they believe is acceptable or not, even if they are contradicting their bible to do so... so when you say either 'the bible teaches..." or, "to a christian sin is sin"...you show this...because if you take the bible literally, as you might to support your believe that 'to lie with a man' is sinful, then you have to also believe that working on the sabbath is sinful and punishable by death. my point is that we all form our beliefs of right and wrong based on the times we live in, and Christians pick and chose what they believe and therefore are on shaky grounds when they chose to support bigotry with religous belief. which is why many Christians and Christian Churches, accept homesexuality as a normal, non-sinful human condition.

• Herb Morrison
    August 13, 2014 - 19:15

Ms. Hogan: Firstly, who died and appointed you to speak, as if you have been authorized to represent the interests of all Christians. Just who do you think YOU are. I am a Christian and you do not speak for me. Furthermore, last time I checked my Bible, it is God who decides exactly what constitutes sin. Yes, I am a Christian, however, my Bible tells me that I am, and will always be a sinner. The same applies to all Christians, including both you and I. My Bible teaches that, as a Christian I am saved by God's Grace because of my Faith in God and in Jesus Christ as Saviour and Lord. As Christians we are not capable of saving ourselves because despite our profession of Faith in God and in Christ, we Christians, because we are human, are incapable of always abstaining from committing sins against God, consequently, because you and I are sinners, who are capable of exhibiting both self-righteous and judgemental behaviour, I would suggest to you, that in view of God's teaching that all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God, in God's eyes; neither you nor I are in any position to engage in the type of Self-righteous, judgemental finger-pointing, which is self-evident in your letter. The fact that you or I are professing Christians does not eradicate the reality that we are sinful human beings devoid of even a shred of divinity. As Christians, the best we can hope and pray for is that our behaviour is Divinely inspired, despite our human perchance for sinning against God. In Conclusion, at the risk of repeating myself, your inference that because you are a Christian, you are incapable of ever committing a sin, and are a cut above others because you are without sin is not a Christian concept.

• Sweetie Pie
    August 13, 2014 - 18:32

My preference is BLT and that satisfies my appetite. But guys kissing guys and plastering on makeup? As tolerant as I try to be, it sickens me. God help me should I be critical of it.

• Dolf
      August 14, 2014 - 15:52

BLT...and that's Bacon, Lettuce, and Tomato n'est ce pas?

• Vic
    August 13, 2014 - 10:19

I am a proud Christian. I am also a proud ally of the LGBT community. There are many, many Christians (I would guess the majority of Christians in this province, even) who are like me. DO NOT use our name to try and further your own interpretation of the Bible. Speak for yourself! I'm disgusted by your own self-righteousness.

• seanoairborne
      August 13, 2014 - 17:17

I doubt very seriously if you've even read the bible? Where in the Bible does it say that Homosexuality is not wrong? Please,cite me verse and scripture of where I find that passage? The Bible does say,hate the sin love the sinner! But it doesn't condone Homosexuality.

• paul j
      August 15, 2014 - 07:36

seanoairborne- the bible does not condone homosexuality, but it does condone many things that we do not accept today- people pick and choose what to believe from the bible and what not to...hence so many different churches and sects and so many things promoted in the bible that are not accepted today..as I pointed out before, like slavery, spousal abuse, genocide, death for breaking the sabbath, etc...you can find support for these things in the bible, but we do not choose to do so. people make choices what to believe from the bible and so when they chose to say homosexuality is a sin, because the bible says so, they show their own double standard and bigotry.

• THAT would be an ecumenical matter!
      August 15, 2014 - 12:21

Seanofairbourne: as a good and observant Christian, perhaps you can tell me where in the Bible does it say "hate the sin love the sinner?"

• Frank
    August 13, 2014 - 09:43

Aw, I thought Port Union was cool, man...

• J
    August 13, 2014 - 09:43

Dood, please, you don't even make sense or an argument. Sorry to inform you but her point of view does not make her a bigot. I suggest you reread the definition of bigot and try again. If you think that this meets the definition of bigot then it is just as easy to argue that the LBGT view of people adhering to their religious principles is just as bigoted.

• Sin
    August 13, 2014 - 08:49

Many members of the LGBTQ community are bullies. In their minds, people are not allowed to even disagree with their lifestyle, let alone write or speak about their views in media. This is why they label differing opinions as hateful. Christians believe in, "Love the sinner, hate the sin." The Bible says that if you hate a sinner you are a murderer according to the spirit of the ten commandments. But you can hate sin. LGBTQ people are not pushing a "live and let live" philosophy. To many, there is no absolutely no room for disagreement with LGBTQ lifestyles. Thanks for telling it like it really is, Linda.

• Jeff
      August 13, 2014 - 10:32

If you're not happy with the LGBTQ lifestyle, no one is forcing you to live it. I have yet to hear anyone say they disagree with the straight "lifestyle." How one lives is none of your business.

• seanoairborne
      August 13, 2014 - 17:25

Jeff....If "how one lives" in none of our business, why do you and your gay fellow travelers insist on shoving their lifestyles down out throats with things like "Gay Pride Parades"? Have you ever heard of a straight Pride parade?

• Jeff
      August 15, 2014 - 10:40

I"ve heart of White Pride Parades. (You really have this obsession about things being shoved down your throat, dont' you?)

• paul
    August 13, 2014 - 08:06

"to a christian sin is sin"...its funny when calling one thing, such as homosexuality a sin, they will reference the bible as their support..., Yet most "Christians' will agree that owning slaves, beating your wife and kids, genocide, murdering your neighbour for violating the sabbath...are all wrong by todays morality, even though they can be justified in biblical teachings...so it sticks in ones craw when christians call one thing 'sinful' ..because of their 'teachings' yet ignore the teachings that support another behaviour that we know is wrong...its obvious that they pick and choose what they view as sinful...so that does show their bigotry. they choose what is sinful and what is not...

• Dood
    August 13, 2014 - 07:27

Pretty scary stuff. She doesn't even realize she is a bigot.