HMP — Her Majesty would be horrified

Recently, Her Majesty’s Penitentiary has been on the news and in the paper.
Well, more recently I just got released from her.

Do you call it a “her,” like a ship of beauty, or do you call it a thing … or a what?

One politician, plying for a new jail, recently said something like, “We want them coming out of there better than they went in.”

Keep dreaming

Well my son, keep dreaming, because in your dreams are the only place that that’s going to happen unless someone takes that political silver shovel and puts it into the dirt as the cameras flash.

And does it soon.

Isn’t that what they do at the start of something historical before building begins?

Kind of like a “look at me and what we’re about to do” kinda thing.

What shocked me the most about my time at the HMP was the amount of inmates whom I overheard say they were bipolar, had attention deficit hyperactivity disorder or attention deficit disorder.

At least half of the 21 people on my cell block were!

I didn’t simply do time at HMP, I used what little resources were there to make the time there work to my advantage, like you would, could or should.

Not enough invested

However, there simply isn’t enough of anything put into HMP so that everybody there who wants it, can and would get the head help that they need.

Simply put, the arse is out of ’er.

Her Majesty’s Penitentiary; the Queen would be embarrassed.

Michael Ince

St. John’s

Comments

Comments

• Tori
    September 08, 2014 - 18:33

hey im actually friends with mike, you all comment on the fact that hes been in other facilities but the fact is hes older now and those other times was when he was wayyyyy younger , now hes trying to be a good person but because of a fight with an ex girlfriend is y he was in jail this time. hes not a bad guy. yes hes made mistakes but now hes trying to leave them behind, and that dosent change the fact that hes right, without more programs how can we get the people we send to jail to change? we need more help for them!!! otherwise they will do it again and again!

• Glenn Stockley
    August 23, 2014 - 14:04

fuck you guys for not printing my response to the ignorant cowards who hide behind pseudonyms.....Michael is right except fro the fact that i am sure lillybet doesn't give a damn...i'm sure fewer view this site that read your rag......

• Glenn Stockley
    August 23, 2014 - 11:12

i find it difficult to fathom the ignorance of these people who hide behind psedonymns.....Michael is 100% correct about conditions at h.m.p. where some are wrongfully convicted and many are mentally ill......i do disagree that any member of the sax-cobug/windsor family would care about it....

• Will
    August 17, 2014 - 17:55

HMP is the most rundown, dirty, violent, outdated and prehistoric “correctional centre” I’ve even been in. Next time Michael we have to put you up in the Delta.

• Yo mama
      August 18, 2014 - 14:12

Thank you Will.

• Marian
    August 17, 2014 - 12:03

Michael, You mentioned it's the worst institution you've ever been in....why is it you didn't get the "head help" you needed from the others? While I agree the conditions at HMP are deplorable, it's difficult to take a testimonial from a former inmate, of more than one institution, seriously. Were you expecting royal treatment and accommodations?

• Tim
    August 16, 2014 - 17:26

Cry me a River...

• Marshall Art
    August 16, 2014 - 12:30

Politicians the likes of Mike Duffy, Pamela Wallin and former Alberta Premier Alison Redford have been filling their boots with taxpayers' dollars for years. Not to mention our own four amigos , politicians who were sent to the slammer a few years ago for gorging themselves at the trough like little piggies. But when NL has the audacity to approach the Feds and asks, like Oliver Twist, 'please, sir, can we have a new penitentiary, the respone is, ' you wan't what ??? !!!!'.

• AndrewB
    August 16, 2014 - 10:53

"HMP is the most rundown, dirty, violent, outdated and prehistoric “correctional centre” I’ve even been in." Mr. Ince may have missed the obvious. If he doesn't like the lodging taxpayers provide convicts in Newfoundland he could: 1. Stop committing crimes. 2. Move to a jurisdiction where he finds the lodging more amenable to his tastes.

• non criminal
    August 16, 2014 - 07:46

Hey Mike....If HMP is the most rundown, dirty, violent, outdated and prehistoric correctional center you have ever been in, my advise to you is start living your life as a law abiding citizen. That way you get to avoid a place that seemingly is not your forte. Quite a legacy when you can compare correctional centers.

• Comrade
    August 16, 2014 - 06:16

Do the crime - do the time Mike. If it's such a hell-hole maybe you will think twice before you commit another criminal act.