• 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments

Recent comments

  • paul
    August 24, 2014 - 17:59

    The solution is costly but simple. We need to build transmission lines from the Upper Churchill generation plant all the way down to the Muskrat station. In 2041 HQ will no longer buy power from NFLD...Meaning 5000 MW of electricity from UC will be coming to NFLD. That is what is going on.

  • Roy
    August 22, 2014 - 11:59

    Judging by the poor level of response, I think the answer to the question is "No one".

  • get on the bandwagon
    August 21, 2014 - 20:32

    Mr. Adams you are correct -this project was never about the least cost or a business case for electricity. This project has been uneconomical from the start and it has been obvious to anyone willing to be objective about the facts related to the project. Unfortunately our government has deprived the people of any objective review or regulation of the project and imposed a cone of silence and secrecy. Isn't the government supposed to be a public institution - open, transparent and accountable. Until public policy changes and this project is opened to public scurtiny it will continue to expend tremendous financial resources which will not result in any feasible outcome for ratepayers and taxpayers - this is but another huge political fiasco - it will prove to be the biggest boondoogle ever in our history. Unlike the upper churchill which was an enormous lost opportunity we will have to pay out of pocket for this one for at least a couple of generations. yes it should be stopped but we do not have anyone with the leadership to deal with this mess and most of the population is not apprised of the reality of this project - yet. The sooner that reality hits home the better!

  • Corporate Psycho
    August 21, 2014 - 16:42

    It will be up to Dwight Ball. He won't stop the project now.

  • Nichol
    August 21, 2014 - 12:08

    I too have been looking for the 'someone ' among us to stop this madness. We all should know that Muskrat Falls will be the biggest white elephant ever, clearly based on wild unabated political ambition. 'Build around Quebec ' was the mantra. When wholesale electricity prices were declining, Nalcor took no notice. Correctly, you point out the average price realized for export power by Quebec last year was 3 cents/KWh. The wholesale spot price paid in New England for today, Aug. 21, is 3.43 cents/KWh (source EIA). It is interesting that 60% of Muskrat Falls capacity will depend on these market prices. The revenues from the other 40% which is the amount we will use to replace Holyrood, will have to carry the whole project. No responsible entity ignores 60% of its production potential, which is what Nalcor is doing....no revenue from the 20% to NS for building the link, and very much losing prices on the wholesale markets for the 40% export block. The great lie of the project, 'the least cost option', could not be further from the truth. It was the least cost of the only two options allowed to be considered. Our Government is blind to the facts. They have milked all the elections they can from this folly, and will be destroyed at the polls in 2015. We are left with the debt and no compete legislation smugly passed by this Government in favour of Nalcor. I suggest the Nalcor execs are much more concerned with their completion bonuses than they are for our future. We need to stop this project in its tracks....now. Every day counts. Quebec is canceling phase 3 and 4 of the Romaine project due to depressed prices. There are huge surpluses of electricity available today. Where is the person to do it? Buying from Quebec would save the millions you point out. 2041 is only 27 years away, yet we are obligated to pay for MF for 25 years after that. Are we really too late to stop this madness? Where are all the main proponents today?....Williams, Dunderdale, Kennedy, et al, will all go down in history as the egotistical, foolish opportunists that they are. The 'Cuckoo's Nest' has nothing on NL politics.....to wit, hockey stick factories, chocolate factories, the great paper mills, the giant petrochemical complexes, the cucumber foray, buffalo, and yes even the boot plant ....gone! And now we put $8 or $9 billion into generating power for all the vapourware demand we have! God help us.