O’Regan situation raises serious questions

Many thoughtful citizens believe that in regard to politics and politicians there is far too often little to no consideration or caring for the general public, and that politicians run a “club” which decides every four or five years who gets to join and who doesn’t. The only role the public has is to “elect” one of the political “club” to power.

Bearing this in mind, there are some troubling questions surrounding recently elected Liberal MP Seamus O’Regan and the political people associated with him.

According to his Twitter account, Mr. O’Regan has entered a  “wellness program” so he can adopt an “alcohol-free lifestyle.” In another Twitter message of Jan. 3,  he stated, “I can be most effective as a member of Parliament by adopting an alcohol-free lifestyle.”

The first question is, why, before the election, did Mr. O’Regan not inform the voters of his district, St. John’s South-Mount Pearl, that he had an alcohol problem so serious, in his view, that it would affect his role as an MP and therefore he was going to enter a wellness program  shortly after the election to deal with it.

The second question is, why did the Liberal association for Mr. O’Regan’s district not inform the people, before the election, of Mr. O’Regan’s plans of entering a rehabilitation program to deal with his alcohol issue after the election, rather than dealing with it before the election?

The third question is, why did Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, a friend of Mr. O’Regan’s, not require Mr. O’Regan, if he wanted to be a Liberal candidate, to enter the wellness program to deal with his alcohol issue before the election?

Doug Smith

Grand Falls-Windsor

Organizations: Liberal association

• Bluffy
    January 22, 2016 - 16:49

Guess we know why he didn't get in fed cabinet

• Doug Smith
    January 21, 2016 - 15:09

Mark H, Why on earth do you think I need a lecture on alcoholism? Let me assure you I don’t need you or anyone else lecture me about alcoholism. You will note, we still don’t have answers from the Liberal association for Mr. O’Regan’s district or from Mr. Trudeau as to why they allowed a person with a drinking problem to run for elected office without first informing the voters of the district BEFORE the election. To me this is treating the voters with disdain. Perhaps you or some other supporter of Mr. O’Regan’s can explain their behaviour since they won’t . It is also interesting that members of Mr. O’Regan’s family and friends held an intervention for him AFTER the election not before. Interesting timing , isn’t it Mark? Doug Smith, Grand Falls-Windsor

• Mark H
    January 21, 2016 - 13:54

Doug Smith, maybe a little reading about alcoholism is in order. Denial of having a problem with alcohol is a trait demonstrated by many alcoholics. Until a person is able to get over that denial they will not begin the path to sobriety. None of us should criticize the timing of O'Regan's decision to seek help but rather we should applaud his courage to make the decision to seek help. We shouldn't be bitter about O'Regan's situation, after all, he wants to serve the voters sober. We should be bitter about the other elected officials who are in denial or otherwise not dealing with their alcohol problems.

• Edwin Charles
    January 20, 2016 - 12:55

Mr. O'Regan applied for the job under false pretenses. The electorate did not get the man in the advertising brochures. Mr. O'Regan is a fraud. If I obtained a position and kept secret from my employer a debilitating condition that would prevent me from carrying out my duties and was found out, I would be dismissed post haste. If I were a seasoned employee and performing my duties as required and my condition came to light, I could see my company putting me into a facility to seek a cure. If Mr. O'Regan had been in the elected position for a considerable time, I envision his receiving like treatment with the good wishes of all for a complete recovery. As it stands now, Mr. O'Regan trying to blindfold the devil in the dark.

• Doug Smith
    January 19, 2016 - 12:14

Will, what drival are you talking about? In this country freedom of speech is a well known value. I just politely asked some very important questions. Why are you so upset? Doug Smith, Grand Falls-Windsor

• Will
    January 19, 2016 - 11:27

Wow ! The man admitted he had a problem, brought it out in a public forum and this is the drivel that comes from you. He is dealing with his problem, so should you ! And if he let voters know in advance would it have made a difference with anyone other than you ? One word- WOW !

• Doug Smith
    January 19, 2016 - 09:39

LovesProroguing, War&Closets, first of all, I am not a conservative, I have voted for all 3 main parties at one time or other. Second, no where in my letter did I attack Mr. O’Regan for getting help for his addiction. As I have said before in another comment ,I have not made one derogatory comment about Mr. O’Regan. So why are you are so upset? Don’t you believe Mr. O’Regan should have let the voters know about his problem before the election not after it? Doug Smith, Grand Falls-Windsor

• Townie Bayman
    January 19, 2016 - 09:29

Good for him for getting help. I hope he has things straightened out for himself. Now I'm waiting for the CBC and other media to start sticking cameras in his face when he's on the way to work. And I'm sure the media will show private videos of him getting on like an idiot in a private home. Ya know, the same way the treated Rob Ford. Fair is Fair right?

• Doug Smith
    January 19, 2016 - 08:36

Mr. Neary, thank you for the concern, but what help would that be? Doug Smith, Grand Falls-Windsor

• Pierre Neary
    January 18, 2016 - 21:30

Mr. Smith, I hope your family gets you the help you need. Regards, Pierre Neary.

• Doug Smith
    January 18, 2016 - 14:50

Ken, did the guy give his constituents a break or did he do something else. By the way ,he is getting a break, $167,400.00 of them. Most people in NL would love that break. Doug Smith, Grand Falls-Windsor

• LovesProroguing,War&Closets
      January 18, 2016 - 19:23

Your hero, the cowardly Harper is gone. Get over it. Attacking O'Regan for getting help for his addiction is a despicable act from a small-minded Harper Conservative sycophant. Do us all a favour and crawl back under your rock. The rest of the snakes and cockroaches are getting lonely without you.

• ken
    January 18, 2016 - 14:33

Give the guy a break for christ sake. This guy is seeking help for his condition and you conservatives will continue to bring your negative opinions out to discredit him.

• Doug Smith
    January 18, 2016 - 12:56

Bill Westcott, it seems you missed the point of my letter. Mr. O’Regan didn’t divulge his alcohol problem until AFTER he was elected. Doesn’t he need to explain to the people who voted for him why he didn’t come forward BEFORE the election? David Howley, you called my letter puerile (trivial, immature). How can that be? There is nothing trivial about being an elected MP and there is nothing trivial about an alcohol problem. There certainly is nothing trivial about not letting the voting public of Mr. O’Regan’s district know of his serious alcohol problem. You also called my letter poison, in what sense is it poison? I only stated the truth and asked some questions. I never made one derogatory comment about Mr. O’Regan. Don’t be afraid of the truth, remember the saying , “the truth will set you free.” Paul, what do you mean, “We should not be so quick to judge”? I waited a good many days before I wrote the letter. Do you really mean, we should never judge? Remember Paul, the voters in his district were asked to judge who was the best candidate to represent them in the House of Commons and they did not have all the important facts about Mr. O’Regan. Allan Campbell, are you saying that because you think (you offered no proof) there are other MP s with alcohol problems that it is okay for Mr. O’Regan to have an alcohol problem and the voters of his district shouldn‘t expect anything better? Doug Smith, Grand Falls-Windsor

• Bill Westcott
    January 18, 2016 - 10:45

Perhaps, just perhaps the pressure of the pre-election campaign and "the election" itself triggered off a deep rooted problem which was an accident waiting to happen. I doubt very much if Shamus and/or those around him (including the P.M.) realized how deep his problems are. He is not the first and will no doubt not be the last public figure who succumbs to the drug of alcohol. I would not judge anyone involved. I prefer to give Shamus the support he needs with our prayers and best wishes. There but by the grace of God go I. This wake-up call could possibly be the conduit to making him a better Parliamentarian (as hinted at in the first comment). So, let's relax and give Shamus all the time he needs to begin his road to recovery which will be one day at a time.

• david howley
    January 18, 2016 - 09:30

A puerile and poison letter from Mr Doug Smith of Grand Falls-Winsor. Politicians (people) and alcohol are nothing new. All credit to Mr O'Regan for addressing an issue which he believes should be addressed on his own behalf as well as for the sake of his constituents and best wishes for him with his resolve.

• Paul
    January 18, 2016 - 08:04

I wonder how many Doctors, Teachers, public officials and the myriad of other occupations have the same problem that no one will ever know. Kudos to this man for having the guts to tell us. We should not be so quick to judge!,

• Allan Campbell
    January 18, 2016 - 08:02

This letter is political; not social commentary as the writer would like all to believe. The writer knows as well as the rest of us, that if all the MP's with an alcohol problem were to be kicked out of parliament; the house would be rather small.

• Seamus "I'm a Celebrity" O'Regan
    January 18, 2016 - 06:53

The constituents of St. John's South - Mount Pearl have been without any local representation for 3 months now. Mr. O'Regan says call his office in Ottawa. That is not acceptable. By checking himself into a country club styled rehab facility, his experience points to the larger problem of those that deal with addiction and mental illness. Mr. O'Regan can afford private care in Ontario while average citizens languish with the problems or even turn to crime to get some form of help. If there is any good to come from his current experience, it might be to realize that the mental health and addictions treatment of our national healthcare system is so inadequate to the needs of average citizens that maybe he will actually do something about it.

• Bob
    January 18, 2016 - 06:43

Maybe Mr. O'Regan did not realize it was actually a problem until he acknowledged it and sought help. I applaud him for realizing his alcohol use was a problem, seeking help and being public regarding the situation. It is one of the few times it seems that politicians appear human and not back peddling after an issue comes to light and several attempts to bury it.

• Fred
    January 18, 2016 - 06:37

1: Self-Interest 2. Self-Interest (but may not have known about it) 3. Self-Interest (but probably didn't know about it)

• John
    January 18, 2016 - 06:00

to answer all 3 questions in this article in one sentence, Justin Trudeau and the liberals are no better than any other party, probably much worse but they put a a great convincing act.