Beautiful scenery doesn’t need Photoshop

I lived out West for many years. I also went to Gros Morne many times — a magnificent park that does not need any candy-coating Photoshop or other trickery that passes for real these days.

Awhile ago, while watching TV, I saw that Newfoundland tourism ad again. It reminded me of what I heard from several people I met out West (business owners, vice-president of a bank, seasoned travellers who could well afford to get the view from the top) who also saw a similar ad several years ago — and went.

Their only comment that I remember on their return: “Never again.”

That kind of marketing you can’t buy.

Dennis Manning

St. John’s

Geographic location: Newfoundland

Comments

Comments

• Bill Westcott
    March 13, 2016 - 11:00

An abuse of this space by Don and John. I can't believe the Telegram would allow this ridiculous banter back and forth. a comment or two is adequate. If Don and John want to carry on that kind of discorse, do it privately on Facebook or Twitter i.e. This is lowering the standard and the intent I think of this space.

• Bill Westcott
    March 12, 2016 - 07:47

Give it up Don and John. We are sick of your banter. Go read a book.

• bill
    March 11, 2016 - 10:36

I have seen many tourism ads of nfld but none of labrador . why not do a pic of the bright red tailings pond @ IOC

• Scott M
    March 10, 2016 - 23:06

You have one of the most beautiful province's in all of Canada , correction N America. I have traveled all over the US and Canada. And no place has captivated me as much as NL. This Summer will be our 4 th consecutive trip to your province and i can't wait. We have and will taken every road on every peninsula on the island . And believe me your sitting on some real Gems. I for one am very proud to have NL as a part of Canada.

• Paul
      March 11, 2016 - 10:35

Thanks very much Scott. Glad to hear you enjoy our province. May you continue to..

• Bill W
    March 10, 2016 - 17:36

SO... basically you are saying these images are lies. Hmmmmmm. Worth thinking about! A distortion in expensive advertising.

• SO
    March 10, 2016 - 14:24

My dear Don II: You are so politically correct and honest and virtuous it must hurt. You insult the province with your negativity and complain that you've been insulted because you've insulted the province. You obviously don't like anything about NL so feel free to move somewhere that meets your exceedingly high standards where everyone, including politicians, are excruciatingly honest like you and the weather is perfect, like you.

March 10, 2016 - 14:38

Any tourists reading these comments will quickly discover that it does not take very much to turn the friendly Newfoundlander into the fighting Newfoundlander! The friendliness is a phony as the colorized scenery! The tourists would be much better off to spend their hard earned money someplace else.

• john
      March 10, 2016 - 15:37

SO I have been just informed that this man is nothing only a computer troll who shows negativity towards anything in Newfoundland. Also goes by Deep Cover

March 10, 2016 - 16:30

John, I am flattered that you have mistaken me for Deep Cover. I wish that I had access to the Government information and files that Deep Cover apparently has.

• john
      March 10, 2016 - 23:26

DonII I got some facts on you. 8265 comments on cbc sites. Hmmmm you are a busy man. You claimed to have visited Newfoundland but in another comment you say you are a Newfoundlander, then another post you say you are from Nova Scotia . You have big issues with both provincial governments. You have big issues with Cupids. Many of your posts ditch the provincial and federal governments for supporting Cupids Cove Plantation and you are totally against the municipal government in Cupids. What is your connection to Cupids. NOBODY TAKES THIS MUCH INTEREST IN A SMALL TOWN unless they have ties to this town! Over 8000 posts on cbc and I am still reading. I have a lot of time on my hands, but your negativity scares me. I am just trying to figure out why you are so bitter and sad.

• @jon
      March 11, 2016 - 04:39

And if you disagree you are labeled a government troll.

March 11, 2016 - 08:15

It appears that commenters like John, Jerome, George and SO accuse me of being a computer troll who is always making negative comments about Newfoundland and that I should be ignored. Ignoring the negative facts about what has been going on in Government is what got Newfoundland and Labrador into the fiscal and economic mess that it now faces. My comments about the unethical, improper, questionable and corrupt behavior of the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador are made in the public interest and I make no apologies for doing that. It appears that commenters like John, Jerome, George and SO are just apologists for the Government at best or are Government cover up trolls at worst who are continuously trolling the online world just so they can try to undermine the comments and shut down any dissent and criticism of the Government. Commenters like me and Deep Cover and others are paying attention to what is really happening and are trying to inform the public. The Government trolls do not like that. It appears that the same trolls who were very active when the PC Government was in operation are still in the system and do not want anyone encouraging the media and the Liberal Government to do some digging into what really went on behind closed doors under the PC regime because they are afraid of what would be uncovered.

• @Don
      March 11, 2016 - 11:35

Don II, don't try to separate yourself from your alternate alias. You and Deep Cover are clearly the same person. Who else begins every paragraph with "It appears", don't take a genius to figure it out. Also, it's quite amusing that you go on and on about how there is no mentions of Cupids and then a commenter below managed to dig up evidence within minutes.

• @John
      March 11, 2016 - 11:42

Land use planning and zoning are another one of his favorite topics to discuss. Clearly knows nothing about the topic, yet thinks he is some expert. Always going on about imposing buffer zones on property. Enjoy the reading, he is very long winded so it will take a long time.

March 11, 2016 - 12:03

John. To the best of my recollection Don II does not have any comments on CBC sites. However, Deep Cover and Don II do appear to borrow commentary from each other. Don II was commenting long before Deep Cover came on the scene. Regrettably, I do not have access to the Government files and contacts that Deep Cover apparently has. I refer to the Cupids Cove Plantation case as an example of what happens when the Government and the bureaucracy goes out of control and the political opposition and media are not paying any attention. The Cupids case an example of the abuse of power and wastage of tax payers money that happens when the media and opposition does not challenge the Government effectively. I could refer to many other examples of Government abuse of power and wastage of tax payer money such as the Paving Contract scandal, the draconian expropriation of Abitibi or the ramming through of the Muskrat Falls project without proper due diligence but the Cupids case is an easy to understand example of the waste of tax payers money and abuse of power by the former PC Government regime . I had an opportunity to visit the Cupids site and to do research on the place . I was shocked at how the Government of Newfoundland could create a fictional historic site to commemorate a place that never existed in the Historic Record of the Province and got away with it. The Cupids situation told me that the media and the political opposition were not paying attention while that unethical outrageous plan to waste tax payers money was being created and implemented. It appears that everybody thought it was a great idea and nobody asked any hard questions. That lax and slack attitude is the main reason why Newfoundland and Labrador is in the financial mess that it faces today. It appears that nobody seems to get it......but that is not my fault.

• @Don II
      March 11, 2016 - 12:55

Don II, please don't treat the readers like fools. It does not take a genius to see your overly wordy writing style and continual use of "It appears" are so similar to Deep Cover that the only conclusion anyone could draw is that you are the same person. If you want people to take you seriously you should at least be honest.

March 11, 2016 - 13:44

@Don II. "It appears" that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Don II was accused of posting comments on CBC sites but that is not the case. While there are similarities between our writing styles and even in our opinions, Don II is not Deep Cover. If people do not take my comments seriously that is their right. If people do not like my opinions that is their right. If they do not like my criticism of the Government, so be it. I simply ask that people pay more attention and to stop accepting Government propaganda as fact. The main point of Dennis Manning's comment has apparently been missed or ignored. I agree with Mr. Manning. I am simply saying that the Government of Newfoundland should not be creating fictional historic sites and promoting tourism with computer enhanced colorized ads. I recall visiting Cupids and asking why the main street in the town was called Sea Forest Drive. I was told that it was because Governor John Guy had established his Sea Forest Plantation in Cupids. That explanation was a myth. When I researched that claim I discovered many documents in the Historic Record including the Royal Charter Grant for the Colony of Avalon which showed that John Guy's Sea Forest Plantation was a boundary of the Colony of Avalon which was located near to Avondale. Everyone told me that the Colony of Avalon only included the area around Ferryland but that is NOT the case. The Colony of Avalon extended from Ferryland to Petty Harbor and across to Conception Bay and the from there to Placentia and along the Southern Shore to back to Ferryland. It appears that the Chief Archaeologist at the Cupids Cove Plantation Provincial Historic Site has stated on the Public Record that the Sea Forest Plantation was NOT located in Cupids! John Guy resided near his Sea Forest Plantation land at Avondale and did NOT commute by walking, riding on horseback or by sailboat from Cupids to his land at Avondale! Commuting from home to work in 1610 was a much bigger problem than it is now!It is not my fault if the preconceived ideas, erroneous conclusions, myths and the folklore is not supported by the facts.

• @Deep Cover, I mean Don II
      March 11, 2016 - 14:25

I do not believe you. There is no conceivable way that two people both write the same way, are both obsessed with a topic that is of little to no interest to most people and both contributors only post to one website (Don II on The Telegram, Deep Cover on CBC). I also post on both websites using different names. If you figured out who I was I would have no issue telling you you were right. Please do not continue to insult my intelligence. The most recent message was one that I was actually enjoying until you again had to broach the topic of Cupids and what may or may not be a fictional tourist attraction. Please move on and expose some of the other government secrets you continuously allude to but never address.

March 11, 2016 - 17:21

Deep Cover I mean Don II: I could NOT care less if you believe me or not. Don II is always being accused, attacked and criticized for exposing the facts, making comments in the public interest and for questioning what is really going on in Newfoundland and Labrador. If you think that Deep Cover and Don II are the same person, you are not as smart as you think you are. You should spend much less of your time making stupid comments about Don II and Deep Cover and spend more time finding out who are the people in the Government who are running our Province into the ground. But you already know who those people are.

March 12, 2016 - 08:14

You do not need to live in or have any ties to a small place like Cupids to know that there was improper or questionable activity happening in Cupids and other small towns in the Province during the rule of the former PC Government regime. It appears that Government officials were involved behind the scenes in a plan hatched by the Town of Cupids to acquire the Cupids Legacy Center and to assume the high costs of operating that building. The citizens of Cupids found out about that Town plan to saddle them with paying the high costs and they wisely voted against the plan during a public vote! .All you need to do is visit some of these places, look around and ask a few questions to find out what is really going on. I visited Cupids twice and was provided with unproven claims, misinformation and myth that had no connection to historical fact. I fully understand how anyone who has no in depth knowledge of the history of Newfoundland and Labrador could easily be hoodwinked and misled by the Government propaganda baloney. I do not understand why anyone would defend the actions of a Government that intentionally created a fictional historic site for political expediency purposes. To borrow a phrase from Deep Cover, " It appears" that many of the negative comments on this site are coming from self appointed experts or Government trolls who are always trying to undermine the messenger and trying to shut down the discussion by cherry picking and repeating previous comments out of proper context. These "experts" are very quick to form an iron clad opinion without any facts and to jump to erroneous conclusions just like the Government does. If it was not for commenters like Don II, Deep Cover and many others who know or take the time to research the facts, the Government of Newfoundland could promote claims that the Holy Grail was buried in the woods in Cupids and get away with it. Based on the way they still operate, the misinformation and the propaganda baloney that is promoted, it should not be a surprise to anyone that the Government of Newfoundland has a $2.5 BILLION Budget deficit and will likely face a total Provincial debt of $25 BILLION by the year 2020!

March 10, 2016 - 13:42

It appears that there have been a number of glowing magazine articles written about tourism and heritage in Newfoundland and Labrador. Are the writers of these glowing magazine articles including the facts in their stories and are they being paid by the Government of Newfoundland Department of Tourism to produce this propaganda? I noticed that the official PC opposition has never addressed the issue of computer enhanced colorized tourism ads and the fictional historic site controversy, probably because it was their Government that created the colorized ads and fictional historic site in the first place.

• Jerome
      March 10, 2016 - 19:02

DON II , having a bad day or maybe just a bad hair day, our wind will do that to you :) Those articles you are referring to are not paid propaganda. Expedia just did one, no tourism pictures that you refer to , they were pictures I had never seen, beautiful, one of 6 places to spend spring in Canada. The write up was great too. If this was indeed propaganda , why only cover 6 palaces in Canada, the other provinces have no tourism budgets.

• Paul
      March 11, 2016 - 10:33

For the love of god, will you give it up? No one cares or wants to hear your continuous ramblings about Cupids and the NFLD government. All over the world there's numerous 'fake attractions'..ever been to Disneyland? Sigh...

• AB
    March 10, 2016 - 13:19

I don't understand. You say it's beautiful and requires no digital enhancement, but that real tourists who visited said they would never return. Was it not beautiful enough for them or wha?

• Grayson
    March 10, 2016 - 09:32

I don't understand how any tourist could come here and have a bad time. Newfoundlanders roll out the red carpet and bend over backwards in order to impress the tourists. And the scenery is indeed spectacular - Gros Morne, ocean vistas, including icebergs, whales, puffins - all of it. It's beautiful. But if you decide to stay here, you get a birds eye view of the underlying hostility within the culture.

• jerome
      March 10, 2016 - 11:37

Underlying hostility of the culture ??? I guess you hang with a shady group of people, but they are in every culture. Try hanging with some people with a positive attitude, they are out there, it might change your outlook.

• EDfromRED
    March 10, 2016 - 09:19

I reside in one of those Photoshopped communities, where a old tubby T. V. has been dumped in bushes leading into my community, and left there for nearly two years now. I tried emailing the MMSB,but their contact address is dead. Poor buggers, a million dollars must not be enough for a functional free email address. Good luck drawing tourists when pictures of that get on social media.

• patricia
    March 10, 2016 - 09:15

While I agree the ads are a bit misleading,we do have some magnificent scenery in this province.gros morne ,western brook pond and the fiord's are truly spectacular.i have also visited the Rockies and was awestruck.every province and I've been to them all ,has places of beauty.our people are are greatest ambassadors of this place we call home.

March 10, 2016 - 08:06

It appears that most people do not know that the brightly colored Newfoundland and Labrador tourism ads are apparently the product of computer generated color enhancement or of computer generated images of whales jumping out of the water right on cue to put on a show for the whale watchers! It should not be a surprise to anyone who knows how the Government really operates that the Government of Newfoundland would try to mislead people with fictional history, visual trickery and bogus claims. After all, the Government of Newfoundland created the Cupids Cove Plantation Provincial Historic Site to commemorate and promote the fictional Cupids Cove Plantation, a place that was never mentioned by early founder Governor John Guy. The fictional Cupids Cove Plantation was never recorded in the Historic Record of the Province but despite being absent from the Historical Record became a Provincial Historic Site! Tourists spend a lot of their money to visit Newfoundland and Labrador only to find that the weather is freezing cold in July, the color of the beautiful scenery is probably computer enhanced in TV and magazine ads and the historic site they visited is not authentic. The tourists would be well justified to respond when asked if they would come back to visit Newfoundland and Labrador by saying: "Never again!" It appears that the Department of Tourism is more interested in increasing the visitor statistics by any means. However, if the tourists wanted to experience the world of fairy tales, myths, magic and fictional historic sites, they would prefer to visit Disneyland not Newfoundland!

• John
      March 10, 2016 - 10:22

you are crazy! You are so a shame to Newfoundland. It is people like you that discredit everything about our province. SHame Shame. You need so serious help. Our July is usually quite nice, except July 2015 was a record breaking cold. Seems like you got quite the niff with our provincial government. Did they not give you a job you wanted!!!!

March 10, 2016 - 11:31

Hello John. Why can't you express your opinion without insulting me? It is not necessary to insult me personally. I have a right to express my opinion. If you do not like my opinion you do not have to read it and you certainly do not have to respond to it with personal insults. For your information I am not "crazy" at all. If more people paid very close attention to what the Government is doing and criticized the Government more, the Government would probably act ethically and stop wasting the tax payers money and would not be in the fiscal mess that it faces now! It appears that you do not know or do not care how the Government of Newfoundland really operates. Do you think it is ethical and acceptable for the Government of Newfoundland to mislead tourists with computer colorized tourism ads and by the creation of a Provincial Historic Site to commemorate a place which is NOT an authentic historic site? What was the real Government motive behind the creation of a Provincial Historic Site to commemorate the Cupids Cove Plantation which is a fictional historic place with no proven connection to any historic events or persons and is a fictional place which was NEVER recorded in the Historic Record of the Province? Why are you defending the highly questionable and totally indefensible actions of the Government of Newfoundland? Did they give you the job that you wanted?

• Jerome
      March 10, 2016 - 11:32

Expedia just released "best places to experience spring in Canada" 6 places listed, one was Newfoundland coastline, pictures that are not in any travel brochures and a very good write up of the place.

• John
      March 10, 2016 - 11:54

Exactly Jerome, Newfoundland has won many awards for scenery and hospitality. I have spoken to many tourists visiting my town and they really like the quiet and quaint communities. They just enjoy teh simple things we take for granted: The Atlantic Ocean, our forests, our shoreline and our people. I read the article on Expedia and it was quite good. It is people like Don 2 who make it bad for us. He said don't insult him, but it is okay to insult our province. NO i don't work for the provincial government as a matter of fact I worked for the Federal Government!!!!! I am a retired soldier, who has every reason to appreciate our province. Perhaps you should visit some of these worn torn countries and you wouldn't mind putting on a warm hat in July!!!!

March 10, 2016 - 13:03

You work for the Federal Government do you John? That explains the bad attitude! Why is it that the Government types are so sensitive about public scrutiny and criticism? What branch of the Federal Government do you work for? Canada Revenue? Canadian Heritage? ACOA? It appears that the CRA Feds just get caught cutting secret no penalty deals with elite Millionaire tax evaders! You must have bigger fish to fry in the Federal Government so why would discussion about the questionable Government of Newfoundland tourism ads and fictional historic sites get your combat boots in such a knot.... eh John?

• George
      March 10, 2016 - 13:14

Well if it isn't Deep Cover. Do you ever get tired of going on about the Cupids Cove Plantation?

• @John and Jerome
      March 10, 2016 - 13:17

Don II may have good intentions but he is a person who wastes time and effort like no one else. Posting on every message board there is continuously about the Cupids Cove Plantation and its lack of authenticity. He continuously says people need to protest the government but he never appears to leave his computer and thinks that posting here and cbc is somehow making a difference. Just ignore him.

• AB
      March 10, 2016 - 13:20

Oh come on, colour enhancement is standard for any professional video or photo ad, not just tourism. Google Alberta or BC tourism ads and see how enhanced those are as well. It's the norm. You want to present the best image possible, not show a shot of a rainy, foggy day in May.

• john
      March 10, 2016 - 15:33

Don 2 I stated, if you took the time to read, that i worked for the Federal Government and I am a retired soldier. Do I have to spell it out I was employed by The Canadian Armed Forces, which is part of our Federal Government!!!!!!!! Shame I served this country for the likes of you

March 10, 2016 - 15:50

Is it John or is it Jerome or is it John and Jerome? It appears that the Government trolls are back. The reason I frequently mention the so called Cupids Cove Plantation Provincial Historic Site is because the public should know that the Government spent tax payers money to create a fictional Historic Site in Cupids and that was not in the public interest. It appears that the Government of Newfoundland did not bother to do any research or due diligence but I took the time and effort to ask questions and to comb through the historical records in the Centre for Newfoundland studies at MUN. I searched the British Library and Archives in England but I could not find any record or reference to a place called the Cupids Cove Plantation! If the new Liberal Government is really going to be honest and transparent, they should investigate what the former PC Government was up to in Cupids and in other places and find out how much tax payers money was spent and wasted!

• John
      March 10, 2016 - 16:12

Being a computer troll you gotta know whoever posted @ John and Jerome intended for that message to be addressed to myself and Jerome!!!!!!!!! The symbol @ means AT. I dunno what you are getting on about Cupids and why you have such a beef over it, but being curious, I just ran a search and came up with letters with the name Cupids in it dated 1610-1615. Only took 2 minutes Never had to search British archives or anything. I would really like to know why you are so against Newfoundland especially Cupids. Must go do some research on Don 2, Deep Cover and Cupids. I am learning a lot about you today just by reading comments.

• John
      March 10, 2016 - 16:28

Just done a quick search, once again never had to visit archives or anything, and you have your mouth going over everything. From newfoundland budget, Parks Canada, Little Bay Island resettlement, Oil prices. blah blah blah and continuing to insult everyone who stands up against you EXAMPLE @Joy Sullivan from Deep Cover: "I am very pleased that my comments have caused your IQ to go down.....like most of the Government of Newfoundland hacks on this site.....it was probably a very short trip to the intellectual bottom for you!" You should be Prime Minister with all your knowledge about everything in the news. DO you work or just comment on articles all day. You seem like a very sad, depressed man. There is great meds out there for that and maybe you would find positive in life. I feel sad for your life. Gotta run and go enjoy teh beautiful sunset here in Newfoundland

• @Don
      March 11, 2016 - 04:36

See what I mean. In and on with the same comment again mandatory again. Now you've added to the narative by doing research in the British archives. Enough already.

• AB
      March 11, 2016 - 07:48

Don II - you're great at filling up the page with text, but not the best historian. Cupid's Cove (formerly referred to as Cuper's Cove) has been inhabited since the early 17th century. The archaeological evidence is clear. Historical record or not, you can't fake physical facts. Not to mention you say John Guy never mentioned it? Here's a letter from 1610 written by Guy to Sir Percival Willoughby: http://www.crossroadsforcultures.ca/index.php?var=transcriptions&var2=view&transid=11&selection=letter&language=en

March 11, 2016 - 12:23

AB. John Guy wrote his letters from Cuper's Cove NOT from Cupids. John Guy NEVER mentioned Cupids in his letters! John Guy's letter of October 6, 1610 to Sir Percival Willoughby refers to Cuperre's Cove which is the original FRENCH name of the site. Cuper's Cove is the Anglicized version of Cuperre's Cove. The mistaken idea that John Guy landed at Cupids is traceable to the similarity between the names Cupers and Cupids but the Historical Record contains many 17th century letters, documents, maps and Royal Land Charters which clearly show that Cupids Cove and Cuperre's (Cupers) Cove were separate places. John Guy landed at Cuperre's Cove which was located near to Salmon Cove [Now Avondale] NOT at Cupids. Cupids should NOT be commemorated as the site where John Guy landed because John Guy DID NOT land at Cupids in 1610! Anyone who did the proper research would know that John Guy did NOT land at or establish a plantation in Cupids in 1610. Nobody in the PC Government bothered to do proper research. It was easier for the PC Government just to go with the local myth and folklore that Cupids was the first English settlement but that folklore is NOT historically correct. Not only did the former PC Government run the economy of Newfoundland and Labrador into the ground they intentionally ignored the real history of Cuperre's Cove and John Guy just to suit their wrong preconceived ideas! It appears that you have swallowed the Cupids myth and folklore hook, line and sinker.

• realityisnotgoodshow
    March 10, 2016 - 07:31

Unfortunately the job for the tourism board is to try to sell the province to potential visitors; Would you come here if they would show you the reality of the place? Next comments will be all about how much of an asshole I am for telling it like it is and let's not forget the famous saying "go back where you are from you mainlanders who knows everything"...I love it. .Newfoundlanders makes me laugh when they keep saying that every tourist they meet is in awe and can't believe how great this place is...as an outsider let me tell you that we are holding different views when together. People are narrow minded and mostly uneducated about anything else but what surrounds them, the place is dirty and looks like the third world of Canada. Weather wise I won't go there as there is nothing you can do about it. You accept it or you don't, Newfoundlanders mostly don't as you will rarely see anybody outdoor doing anything unless the sun is shining bright and clear. These people are not even adapted to their environment. Yet you look at those commercials and they show you people bouncing happily all over the hills and the city streets, .SAD.

• Jerome
      March 10, 2016 - 18:53

I tried earlier today to respond to your stupid post , but I guess the monitors didn't like what I had to say, so I will try again. Your wish is my command " you are an arsehole" the Newfoundlander way of saying it. So you have had said to you and your group ``go back from where you are from Mainlanders, who knows everything`` sort of says it all doesn`t it. You have an attitude problem, it is not us , it is actually you and your group is the problem. Surprise!!! In my travels around the province and St. John`s I come across a lot of tourists , I tell them to smile, be friendly and don`t show attitude and it will be returned to you 10 fold. Try it, it may change you and your groups attitude and perception of the place . This summer I was in Gros Morne, climbed the mountain, talked to people from the states, England and all across Canada. There was a couple I talked to from BC they had spent the last 4 weeks in Newfoundland and loved it, they had spent a week in PEI previous and said that there was no comparison. They plan on coming back in a couple of years with friends from Ontario and explore other parts of the province, they never even made it to the Avalon. The people I talked to on the mountain, I asked where they were from and without prompting they told me how much they loved it here. There was even a two couples I talked to from Alberta, they loved it, the coastline , something they had no exposure to in their home province, they loved the people to . Maybe that is where you and your group is from. I have toured the Rockies , loved it, I found that Albertans had an attitude towards Newfoundlanders, even though they had never been here, their problem not mine. So my fair weather friend, you and your group of "arseholes" should go back to the mainland, we really don't need your type of people here. Once you get back to your roots of negativity ,doom and gloom you will be home.

• jerome
    March 10, 2016 - 06:26

Very vague general statements !!! For one "out west" does this meant Western Canada , or western Newfoundland, or as in growing up in the Stephenville area, "out West" referred to The Roberson, Jefferies, Highland area of the west coast of the province. "Never Again" , they would never again try Marine Atlantic, never again Gros Morne, never again Newfoundland in general. I climbed Gros Morne this summer, I ran into people from England, New Brunswick, Ontario, the States and even Western Canada, every one of them loved the place, the scenery and the people. I even came across a couple from BC who had been here for 4 weeks, they plan on coming back again with friends from Ontario, they had spent a week in PEI and said there was no comparison to Newfoundland, they loved it here. So please elaborate, not just general vague statements.