Time to raise the bar, folks

I am one of a dying breed that still likes to read the news on a daily basis.
Facebook seems more popular for the insults and ankle-biting.

Telegram letters

I noticed that during the run-up to the crowning of the Boy Wonder, the CBC.ca site was filled with anti-Harper venom on a daily basis. Much of it would not have passed The Telegram’s standard. The venom went on for months and surely helped the red team win. The contributors at CBC are, for the most part, anonymous, and contribute for free.

Now CBC is saying it will require contributors to sign their comments on CBC.ca from now on.

In the days since the coronation, the CBC.ca site has been filling up more and more with — you guessed it — anti-Boy Wonder comments.

Hence, no more anonymous comments, which should put a stop to that.

Not to be stuck in the past, but if Harper had done the same he would be killing democracy or something almost as bad.

But there is something good that can come from this. The Telegram can follow CBC’s lead and do the same.

As an example, the Spaniard’s Bay fray would have passed quietly had anonymous comments been taken offline. No doubt comments would decrease, and that may not be bad. It could be the starting point for some serious, non-coloured, discussion on the state of our province, its finances and the red team’s approach.

It may well have been self-serving for the Boy Wonder, but I am onboard.

To allow anonymous comments is a dumb plan to start with. It was not always so.

It will take time, but I think it would improve The Telegram and readership, as well as up our collective game, so to speak.

Comment below if you agree.

Roy Whalen

Deer Lake

Organizations: CBC

Comments

Comments

• What?
    March 28, 2016 - 13:07

So, your idea of 'raising the bar' is to insult the new PM with childish names? Right, at least we know you're a Harper Con. BTW, where's your coward hero now? Still hiding in the closet is my guess. I don't understand how you can defend Harper, a man who made no attempt to hide his disdain for our province. Are you even in NL?

• james
    March 28, 2016 - 10:17

Do you all work for cbc ,NO NEGATIVE COMMENTS ON THE LIBERALS

• The real Calvin
    March 28, 2016 - 10:11

How do you people not see that there is no way to ensure someone submitting comments in an online forum is using their real name? For that matter, why does the Gram post this foolish argument week after week? I could start signing all my comments GeoffChaulk if I wanted. If they make people create an account, thereby limiting the use of other people's usernames, I could just use my uncle's name, for example. How is someone writing a letter on paper to the Gram any different? Signed, "some name I randomly chose from my high school yearbook." What about a government employee who vehemently disagrees with a piece of their work, but won't speak up or question the powers that be for fear of personal reprisals? Should they not be allowed their anonymous voice because a few trolls are driving you people mad? Not to mention the fact that you consider anyone with an opinion differing from your own to be causing a problem or being a "troll". Let's try this. You post your comment and read everyone else's how you see fit. Stop complaining that someone is using an online handle and make your argument speak of it's own merit, and allow them to do the same. I imagine you are the same people who cry in outrage over the people begging for money at traffic lights. If you don't want to support them, SIMPLY DON'T. If you want to dismiss someone's post because they didn't use their real name, do the same.

• Buster
    March 28, 2016 - 08:35

Roy, The Telegram had it's fill and then some of the anti-harper venom, both form editorials and columns, and the comments sections.

• roy206
      March 28, 2016 - 11:04

Buster, I agree and I've said so on a number of comments. Given the whole media influence, I thought the performance from the Telegram writers leading up to the election was extremely biased, misleading lots of times, and vindictive. All the more reason to sign your name. The Telegram might permit us trolls space to introduce ourselves, and then your ideas and observations can be in print. Rather than the media having all the say, then you can also be in print right next to the column. Eventually readers will come to respect or despise you based on your comments. REMEMBER: this paper is the last place to comment like this. We be smart to regroup and do what we can to support this comment section....Roy Whalen

• Pierre Neary
    March 26, 2016 - 05:38

Still haven't made up my mind on anonymous commenting but your reasons against it are pretty weak. Harper was killing democracy all on his own. The fray is Spaniards Bay was never going to pass quietly.

• Charles Murphy
    March 26, 2016 - 05:19

I agree 100 per %. Time to put end to false identities.

• GeoffChaulk
    March 26, 2016 - 04:13

Agreed. Its time for the grown-ups to take over the comments space...i.e those of us who can use our real and full, legal names without shame and stand-up to what is said, in the now bizarre, anonymous, often nasty cyber-world. For all that is honoured every year for those killed and WWI, WWII, and Afghanistan etc. for 'our freedom' the trolls make that freedom and 'the comments section' a childish, mocking, insulting, harassing old-school yard for 'brave' no-name bullies. Finally, we have seen some real media leadership by the publicly-funded CBC...other media outlets have a responsibility to follow. Over now to the child-like trolls...for your nasty response to this and don't forget to mention that, yes, I ran to be Mayor, got 580 something votes, expected, and still do, the commuters to help pay for what they use every day in St. John's and I would have done a much better job than Do-Nothing Doc, or Sheila O'EveryoneLikesMe, don't they?

• roy206
      March 28, 2016 - 11:17

GC thank you for responding. I particularly liked the vote count for the Mayor's chair, You did really well. When I did the same , I finished with 206 votes.

• George Penney
      March 28, 2016 - 11:39

You are one angry little fella. BTW, wouldn't your legal name be Geoffrey Chaulk?