Comments

Comments

• Petertwo
    October 05, 2012 - 07:54

I think words being used such as euthanasia and mercy killing are an exaggeration and misleading. What is needed to be addressed is how medical science has progressed to where people are being kept artificially alive with no hope of recovery. The right to die is a natural part of life and all living things. Why is this being seized upon to promote euthanasia and so called mercy killing, which are artificial, subject to someone's opinion?

• Aunt Lizzie
    October 04, 2012 - 12:10

Those who are in favour of abortion and euthanasia always respond to the opposite viewpoint by bashing Christians, as if all opposition to abortion and euthanasia is based on religious beliefs. Well, my opposition to abortion in particular is based on respect for science, compassion, democracy and the rule of law. Science tells us that unborn infants have fully developed senses and are viable outside the womb after 20 weeks of gestation. Compassion tells me that any being capable of experiencing pain, suffering and death ought to be protected from having those things needlessly inflicted upon it. Democracy means our elected parliamentarians should decide the issue one way or the other, as the Supreme Court called on them to do. And the rule of law means we should not tolerate a legal vacuum on such an important issue, as the Supreme Court said.

• Carl
    October 04, 2012 - 11:59

Peter Howard says he does not knock on people's doors to try to convert them to his way of thinking. But he does write letters to the Telegram to try to convert people to his way of thinking.

• Doug Smith
    October 04, 2012 - 11:28

Peter L, the reason why non religious people are uneasy when religious people take to the a public forum, like letters to the editor, is that they want to impose their religious beliefs on others. On the other hand , opened minded, clear thinking people want to allow people to follow their own wishes. For example, if a Catholic doesn’t want an abortion then no one is going to force them to have one. However, religious people are always campaigning to have abortion made illegal so their religious view will prevail. In essence, religious people are against freedom. No part of human life is safe from the religious, even such a private personal matter as birth control. The Catholic church is continually campaigning against this most reasonable of all human behaviours. Jews and Muslims even promote the mutilation of underage boys’ penises in the name of religion. The boys being so young have no opportunity to say no. There is no freedom of choice for the boys. In summary, if religious people would mind their own business we would all be so much better off. Doug Smith, GFW

• PETER L
      October 04, 2012 - 19:25

DOUG SMITH, I agree with you in most of your comment, if not all, even though I consider myself a devout Christian, who has studied the bible for over 50 years. Most professing Christians have no idea of what is in the bible, except what they are told by some priests and ministers. The bible actually tells us not to preach to those who do not want to be preached to, and it actually tells us that what is happening today in society and the world was predicted in the old testament. The bible does not preach against birth control, some may misinterpret certain sections to say that, but mostly only Catholics. There is nothing that preaches it anywhere. I won't be popular with most Catholics, but no Christian faith has gone so far from the bible as the Catholics. The bible says do not add or take away from the bible, yet they have come up wih things like the perpetual virginity of Mary, yet Jesus had brothers and sisters. It says only to pray to God through Jesus, yet they pray to statues of "saints", yet the bible says that all believers are saints, but not to be revered or prayed to. I can go on with many other examples, but you get the message, most priests have no idea of what is actually in the bible, I have had discussions with them and their ignorance has been shown. Even in communion, Jesus said to take the bread and wine in memory of him, HE used it only as an anology, HE never said it turned into him. Again, I can go on, but what is the point, they will only deny it and try to justify their point of view. That Church has been guilty of more sins than any other religion or faith, from the beginnings back in the third century up to today, many in God's or Jesus Name. Yes I am a Christian, I know the bible, I believe in Jesus, but I will never tell anyone that they will go to hell, I am not the judge.No wonder so many are falling away from Christianity, it has been totally perverted from what Jesus said it should be, too bad the zelots gave Christianity a bad name.

• Colin Burke
    October 03, 2012 - 15:47

Mr. Howard, it is quite true that one person's belief in God is not the answer to another's pain; so far we agree. I can understand, too, that you would not like another's religion to affect your choice of death over life if ever you should come to that. However, if you did come to that, and I pray that you will not, and if I were the only person who could could grant you the effect of your own choice, then I am much inclined to feel that my religion would indeed affect the way things turned out for you, at least so far as this world is concerned. "Them's the brakes," as an old TV commercial used to say. I don't go knocking on doors, though, to convert people; like you, I'm content to write in the public press for that, though ordinarily I only comment on someone else's previous comment.

• PETER L
    October 03, 2012 - 09:41

@PETER HOWARD, just wondering what happened to free speech here? You may not agree with George McIsaac's opinions and views, but he still has a right to express them. Why do those who are all for abortion and mercy killing think that only they have any valid opinions? Religion does not determine your fate, just expresses their opinion, and religious people do not think the earth is flat. Those of a religious persuasion determine their own fate, just as you determine yours, and they only express their belief and opinion as you express yours. It's a dangerous world and slippery slope when only one point of view can be expressed in these social commentaries and debates.