Comments

Comments

• Norman Tewes
    August 26, 2010 - 19:37

I am happy that some of AirCanada's clients can find words of praise and gratitude for services rendered by this Airline but like the apparently vast majority of other Canadian travellers, I have been left with nothing but anger and distaste with regard to the treatment received from representatives of this organization. On a recent trip to Florida we were scheduled to fly form Saskatoon to Denver and then board a connecting flight. AirCanada sales agents mislead us, from the very first day of ticket purchase, saying all along that our flights were legitmate connecting routes, all the while knowing that we would have less than 55 minutes to clear US customs, retrieve our bags, go through another security screening , this time at the back of a line several hundred deep and then travel the enter length of that facility to make our connection. When I challenged an agent about this situation I was advised that my wife and I had already purchased these tickets and to change our time of departure from Denver, to a later hour, would cost us several hundred dollars. Of course we missed our connecting flight and were stranded in Denver until the next morning. I guess it is now time to stop worrying about all of the tax dollars that AirCanada has sucked out of the public purse and consider specific matters, such as how to obtain to obtain compensation for the extra hotel room, our meals in Denver and the taxi to and from the airport, some unforeseen and very unappreciated expenses!

• Brad
    July 20, 2010 - 13:02

Some of the criticsm that I see of Air Canada is just flat out ridiculous, crazy, stupid, or a combination of all three. Most common complaints: - ZOMG! Air Canada lost my luggage - Air Canada didn't lose your luggage, the airport that you were flying in/through/out of lost your luggage. They do have to track it down as it technically is under their care, but they did not lose it. - TownieGirl's complaint - What were you expecting Air Canada to do for you? Overbooked flight means, the flight is sold out, there are no seats avalible. Therefore, he is not getting to his destination! I'm sorry this didn't work out for you, but when you overcrowd the plane, then you compromise safety. I've fly on a semi-regular basis and have been doing so for the past 7 years (sometimes stand-by). It sucks when your flight is overbooked, but there is nothing AC can do about it, they can't just kick people off the plane. Your brother could try flying stand-by, but even then it is more than likely fruitless if the flight is oversold. - ZOMG! Service was bad! - Notice how they mention one leg of the journey but not the whole way? Even your favourite airline has an off-day once in awhile. Get over it. PS. If you calmed down instead of screaming at the agent, you might get something resolved quicker, and more in your favour. These agents take enough **** as it is, be nice to them, and you may even get a first class upgrade if you're lucky.

• NL'er Away
    July 20, 2010 - 13:02

You should fly to Europe on Air Canada , first of all they partial stopped direct flights to London it's now seasonal, then they added the fuel charge of 450.00 or so per ticket which they later stopped on domestic flights but continued on trans Atlantic flights , when NLt is geographically closer to Europe then the west coast of Canada(Vancouver) and now they charge for an extra piece of luggage all of this when an average cheap ticket is around 1,200.00 to London or more for other destinations. What's up with this???

• agreed
    July 20, 2010 - 13:02

i'm tired of the air canada bashing. Personally i've had much worse experiences on westjet and porter (among others) ; and the disingenuous smiles and we care is a bit over the top on westjet...pls get me there safely!!!!! In this day and age of consumers wanting more for less from airlines- and their tight operating margins, pls put your money in maintenance and your ground crew and not in some stupid marketing scheme to make us feel you like us. that's where the training needs to be - customer service is second. ( this is why I prefer air canada- safest airline in the world!)

• marie
    July 20, 2010 - 13:02

air canada was our airline of choice for years. we had other alternatives which we took advantage of. we now fly air canada and westjet. it is unfortunate when the companies have to take the blunt of a few of their staff who have bad attitudes and wouldnt do anything to help anyone. i find 90% excellent. because of unions those companies are stuck with these people who are arrogant and ignorant and fortunately close to retirement. so new people come on board. i guess we should be careful of what we wish for.

• Red
    July 20, 2010 - 13:02

I have found over the last few years Air Canada's service has drastically improved. I like the fact that they have first class, and no Westjet all of your passengers are not first class passengers, we are all crammed in like livestock. Their entertainment system is crap, and after sitting in those bags of cement they call seats for 4 hours, my arse is numb and I can hardly walk. Also the cheesy jokes, and fake smiles don't fool anyone. Also Westjet claims to be a discount airline but they are most always more expensive, or if they are cheaper it is only by $2 or so.

• canadafirstaid
    July 20, 2010 - 13:02

Now, my mind is made up!! There ought to be a law! Or, something - I think?? CFA

• r
    July 20, 2010 - 13:02

Have to disagree with you Brad - sold out is one thing, you deal with it and wait for the next available flight. Overbooked is when the airline sells tickets for more seats than they have available. In this case people who bought tickets are left stranded. Airlines do this to make up for people who don't show up for flights. Can't have an empty seat on board, better to sell seats you don't have, and if everyone shows up and people are left behind, well too bad for them.

• TownieGirl
    July 20, 2010 - 13:02

I'm glad you had a positive experience with Air Canada during a family emergency, but unfortunately my family did not. My grandfather died unexpectedly while my brother was working in Houston. He got on a flight to Toronto immediately, and once he arrived he was informed by Air Canada that all their flights for the next 3 days were overbooked, and there was nothing they could do for him. He missed our grandfather's funeral as a result, arriving at 3am the day after it was over. They showed absolutely no sympathy for him or the situation, and made absolutely no effort to help him out. Given the option, I will fly any other airline before I fly Air Canada.

• Tess
    July 20, 2010 - 13:02

I flew Air Canada from Calgary to Newfoundland round trip and it was easily the worst travel experience of my life. From nearly being denied boarding despite the required valid ID to being told my flight was over booked and I was likely to lose my seat because I was late checking in (thanks to my valid ID they nearly didn't accept) and being told no accommodations would be made to missing a connecting flight on account of late departures (both ways), and being treated like cattle once I actually got on the plane, it is very safe to say I will never fly Air Canada again. I've never had any of the above problems with WestJet before. They always accept my valid ID, are always welcoming and if I miss a flight? They make accommodations.

• Brad
    July 20, 2010 - 13:02

To R from NL: Yes, my apologies for using sold-out and overbooked . I use the two interchangably. Bottom line, you atill aren't going anywhere really if either of the two comes up. Nothing anyone can do about it.

• Darren
    July 20, 2010 - 13:02

I flew to Calgary and back with WestJet last week. After paying about $1000 for my return ticket, they were charging $3 for headsets. I was going to ask what was the fee to breath oxygen if those yellow masks were deployed and do they take credit card for each breath or what? What a joke. If they are that hard up, they should call it a career and pack it in.