Not a fan of the mean streets of St. John’s

City folks wonder why people around the bay hate going to St. Johns so much. It’s simply not safe in there!

Last spring I had a mirror torn from my vehicle while it was parked in a family’s driveway.

Now last weekend my wife and I went to St. Johns to visit family and friends. Sometime between the hours of 1:30 a.m. and 8 a.m. Saturday morning, some of St. John’s finest — and there are many of them — drove by my new 2012 SUV, parked on the street, and decided it looked too nice, so they threw a beer bottle full of beer at the vehicle’s rear window, smashing it.

I suspect if I was there and able to catch the culprits there's no doubt I, too, would have been charged with assault and found myself in the same situation as the Water Street businessman who simply tried to protect his investment and the safety of himself and that of his employees.

No justice for the victim

Our justice system needs an overhaul to protect the innocent and bring justice to those who deserve it but seldom seem to get it. I feel ashamed sometimes to be a Newfoundlander when justice seems to be served but simply fails the innocent.

Fred Russell

Trinity Bay North

Geographic location: Water Street, Trinity Bay North

Comments

Comments

• FRED
    August 29, 2012 - 11:42

Hey Willy they are piling up daily....safer streets lol......Two people who held up the Pharma Choice on Campbell Avenue in St. John's, fled the pharmacy with several different types of prescription drugs. The RNC says two men, armed with a weapon, held up the clerk around 8:30 last night. Both were wearing hoodies with something white concealing their faces. They fled on foot with cash and pharmaceuticals, which included hundreds of narcotics, including Ritalin, Oxycodone, Dilaudid and Morphine. The RNC is concerned about the quantity and types of drugs stolen, and consider their potential availability on the street to be a public safety concern.

• FRED
    August 29, 2012 - 06:34

And the safe streets get even safer ???....Willy ?? No arrests have been made yet after a pizza delivery driver was held up in St. John's. RNC Constable Talia Murphy says the suspect was wearing a dark hoodie with a mask concealing his face at the time of the robbery, which happened on Ropewalk Lane around 2:20 yesterday morning. Murphy says the suspect fled with an undisclosed amount of cash. She says the suspect, who had a knife, approached the driver and demanded cash. The victim received minor injuries and was treated on the scene. Officers and a police dog were called to the scene but were unable to track the suspect. Anyone with information is asked to call the RNC or Crime Stoppers.

• FRED
    August 29, 2012 - 06:32

And it continues yet another night Willy Willy.......where are you Willy ?.....There has been another armed robbery in the capital city's west end. The RNC say around 8:30 last evening two men, wearing masks, entered Lawton's Drugs on Campbell Avenue. They stole a quantity of drugs. Officers responded and the K-9 Unit was called in, but no arrests have been made yet in the case.

• FRED
    August 28, 2012 - 11:22

Oh my Willy the streets just keep getting safer and safer in St. Johns.....here's another today : A pizza delivery driver was held up by a masked man in the capital city early this morning. The RNC says the armed robbery happened around 2:20 outside a business on Ropewalk Lane. The male suspect confronted the employee outside the business with a knife and demanded cash. The driver suffered a minor injury but didn't require medical attention. Officers and a police dog were called to the scene. The suspect is about 5'7" tall and was wearing a dark hoodie, black gloves, and a blue ski mask concealing his face. Anyone with information is asked to call the RNC or Crime Stoppers.

• FRED
    August 28, 2012 - 07:07

I'll just keep going Willy in case you don't read the news.....again today Aug 28th...An employee of a west-end St. John's business is the latest armed robbery victim in the capital city. RNC say the crime happened just before 2:30 this morning on Ropewalk Lane. The masked suspect, who police say had a knife, is described as a man with a slim build. The victim suffered a minor injury. Patrol members called in the K-9 Unit and the investigation is continuing.

• FRED
    August 27, 2012 - 08:46

Still more Willy......Two people - a man and a teenager - will be back in court this week to face charges in connection with a series of bomb threats. Police say they answered numerous complaints of mischief in the central area of St. John's between May 23rd and 28th. A 22-year-old St. John's man has been charged with four counts of uttering threats, mischief and breaches of court orders. A St. John's teen has been charged with three counts of uttering threats and mischief.

• FRED
    August 27, 2012 - 08:44

Shall I keep going Willy - A St. John's man accused of savagely beating a teenager earlier this month will be in court today for a status hearing. 22 year old Matthew King is facing a charge of aggravated assault, as well as several breaches. He was denied bail last week. The victim, a teenaged boy, was in a coma for 5 days as a result of the attack.

• FRED
    August 27, 2012 - 08:42

Here's another Willy........Police are still searching for the person who stabbed a man in St.John's on the weekend. A 32-year old man was taken to hospital for injuries suffered in the incident, which occurred on Cashin Avenue. Two people were questioned by the RNC's Criminal Investigation Division but there's been no indication that any arrests have yet been made.

• Fred
    August 22, 2012 - 07:39

Out of touch Willy....shall I keep going : George Street-goers got more than they bargained for after an incident involving bear spray early this morning. At about 1:30 am, police responded to a disturbance outside a George Street club, where several people had been sprayed with a chemical meant to protect against wildlife. Police say there were no serious injuries

• Fred
    August 22, 2012 - 07:09

Out of touch Willy.....here's another today : Police are trying to locate a suspect wanted in connection with a hold up at Ultramar on Bay Bulls Road. The armed robbery happened before 11:00 on the night of July 30. The RNC has released video surveillance in an effort to try and identify the prepetrator. Police say the lone female clerk was bringing in items from outside preparing to close up, when the assailant came up behind her outside the front door. The suspect entered the store pointed what appears to be a firearm at her, and put the girl in the back room. He fled the gas station with cash and cigarettes. He is described as about 5'5", wearing a black hoodie, dark pants, grey winter hat and white sneakers. Police say he also had his face concealed. Video of the robbery can be viewed at vocm.com.

• Fred
    August 22, 2012 - 07:07

Todays news Willy.....this is just a sample since I posted this letter : Are these people exagerating too...... A St. John's woman whose daughter was recently attacked in broad daylight says it doesn't seem to matter what time of day it is anymore for violence to happen. The woman, who wishes to remain anonymous, says her 37-year-old daughter was assaulted by two women on Water Street at 11:00 in the morning. Her daughter ended up with a black eye and stitches above her eye as well as whiplash. Charges were filed against the pair. The mother says many people just passed her daughter by as she lay on the sidewalk. She says people seem to be too afraid to get involved. She says a meter-person issuing tickets as well as a restaurant worker came to her daughter's aid. One of them held one of the assailants while the other held the second woman. She adds the police were very prompt in arriving on the scene.

• willy
    August 16, 2012 - 19:43

Your out of touch with reality Fred, mirror torn from vehicle in family neighborhood sounds like kids playing or pranks,beer bottle smashed, and you would like to assault the culprit. Ashamed to be a Newf. I am ashamed that you would write such nonsense considering that 1/2 or more of the people in town are from around the bay.

• mainlander
    August 16, 2012 - 12:53

I am not aware of the statistics, but it seems like crime is on the rise. St. John's has a drug problem and people are stealing to support their habit. I don't feel safe there anymore. All the bars on the windows of stores is not the norm everywhere else. And it looks bad. Obviously the bars are there because of break-ins, not because of the curb appeal they add. There are too many disrespectful punks with too much time on their hands that don't give a sh$t about how hard anyone worked to get what they have. The legal system (can't call it a justice system, there's no justice in the punishments handed out) needs to hold them accountable. Parents of young offenders should also have to take responsibility for the actions of their youngsters. There are no consequences for actions anymore so people do whatever they like because they can.

• victim
    August 15, 2012 - 15:52

I've lived in mount pearl for only two years but in those two years I've had my car broken into once in my driveway (losing a full semesters worth of notes and a wallet with 40 dollars in it which the losers decided to leave behind and essentially rob me of my notes which are completely useless to them but caused me to do poorly on my exams)I reported this crime to the police and they told me "they'd "let me know if they heard anything". I've also caught one scumbag red handed trying to break into my car in a MUN parking lot behind the NRC. Though I couldn't run as fast (luckily for him as I did have a weapon on me) I reported this crime to campus enforcement who then told me that there was no CCTV cameras in place because the parking lot is largely unoccupied and then told me in the same breath that I could be given a fine for parking there without a permit but was given a warning. Finally, a couple of months ago someone had attempted to break into my shed in Mt. Pearl (unsuccessfully thanks to my new dog) I decided not to report this to the police as it's futile. The next person I catch attempting to rob me will be shot on site.

• cave man
      August 16, 2012 - 13:46

'VICTIM' - You think petty crime should be punishable by death and you should be the one doing the killing? You realize carrying a concealed weapon is a crime right? So you are no better then the people you claim to hate. Personally, I find armed, self righteous, fools with a god complex to be much more of a problem for society and much scarier then a purse snatcher. But hey, that's just me.

• turry from town
    August 15, 2012 - 15:40

I have had my vechile damaged several times when i have been in the woods hunting or fishing just outside some small communities,so what is your point?

• Keith
    August 15, 2012 - 12:21

K: Can you please give me some idea of how much crime goes unreported? I have trouble finding a report on that. Fred: I'm sure you've been terribly inconvenienced, but your premise was that St. John's is becoming a city of crime and I haven't see you present any relevant evidence. I would hate to leave another reader with the groundless impression that this place isn't largely friendly. Also, I hope both you and K noticed that I expressed support for the theft victim, including his right to perform a citizen's arrest, up until he committed a crime himself. This is not a zero-sum game; my sympathies did not transfer from the theft victim to the assault victim. Rather, a pox on both their houses, and what a shame the store-owner couldn't exercise restraint and see justice done untainted.

• Too Funny
    August 15, 2012 - 12:13

"City folks wonder why people around the bay hate going to St. Johns". They don't wonder about it at all. I don't think they could care less.

• Fred
    August 15, 2012 - 11:26

Thanks K. I certainly don't condone police brutality but citizens have a right to protect their families, possessions etc.....this act of vandalism cost me a day off work, another trip to St. Johns, $100.00 gas, to have the window installed and $100.00 deductable from my insurance because of some low lifes desire to feed his pathetic urges. Funny how these criminals can excape justice and punishment day after day but when some law abiding citizen trys to protect his rights as a citizen the criminals and their friends speak out......SICKENING.

• k
    August 15, 2012 - 10:40

Keith wake up .Safe city you state. Look at the calls RNC receive. The amount not reported, So your defenseless man is okay to break out a window to try and escape(It went into rob) It is the Keiths of this world who turn to the theives not the victim. You make me realize how Pathetic some humans have become.

• Keith
    August 15, 2012 - 08:04

Fred, You have listed merely two crimes in a space of 4-5 months. That's not exactly an epidemic. St. John’s overall crime score among 100 cities is 25th. Crimes will be committed when so many persons are packed together, but, despite your apparent bad luck, this is a safe city. The "innocent victim" of a downtown jewelry theft kicked a defenceless man in the face. I was completely behind his citizen's arrest until he engaged in that violent act. That's not justice. If a cop had shown up and kicked that same man in the face, you'd be screaming about police brutality. Only the law decides how perpetrators are punished, period.