Comments

Comments

• Winston Adams
    November 01, 2012 - 17:21

Abe G Yes , relatively expensive, at about 1200.00 per 1000 watts of heat producced at low temperature (-15C, + 5 F) . This is for the new ductless units. But this is about 7 times cheaper than every 1000 watts delivered to the island from Muskrat falls. With a good rebate program of 50 percent , the unit pays for itself in about 3.5 years. Without the rebate, about 7 years. Expect your energy bills to drop about 35 percent. With Muskrat falls, the calculator says 31 percent increase, and may be higher. Most units ooperate to -15C. Some go to -25C, which are better for inland or west coast, northern Peninsula. These can run about 35 percent more for the units, maybe 25 more installed cost.So payback is a little longer. If the government paid 100 pecent to installl these, it is still much less than MF. But 50 percent would be a good way to go, paid for by just 4 percent add on to the power bills. When you look at the savings compared to earnings in a savings account, you can see why last year shipments of these units jumped 46 percent from the prior year.

• Abe G.
    November 01, 2012 - 14:14

How much do these heat pumps cost? With these kind of savings it must be expensive technology. Any idea as to how long it would pay for itself?

• Derrick
    November 01, 2012 - 13:36

When I lived in Montreal, I installed a 3 ton Carrier and 20KW electric furnace, the heat pump switch on the furnace at - 15 C, it was nice as it cooled the house in the summer.

• Winston Adams
      November 01, 2012 - 17:00

Derrick, your Carrier unit likely has a capacity of only 5 kw at low temperature and almost twice that at 47F outdoors- so only partially big enough for full heating but helpful. You have a large back up heater.The ductless units Maynard refers to can handle the full heating load at low temperature. Some mini split ducted units can also.

• David
    October 31, 2012 - 15:42

WHOA - minus 10C you say. Not a problem. Most of the units operate down to -15C and some down to -20C. The units I bought still transfer about 2-3kW into my house for every 1kW of power the compressor uses, even down to -15C. The coldest night seen at my in-laws's last winter was minus 12, and it kept their house warm without any problems.

• David
    October 31, 2012 - 14:16

Maynard / Winston, the mini-split or duct less heat pump that you refer to are excellent. Last year, I helped my in-laws install a small unit in the house in Petty Harbour. It was operational by February. It cut their Feb/March/April power bill by 40%. Unfortunately, they are still heating their call space with an electric heater. If they had another heat pump for their basement, their bills would be down 50% or 60%. They were also fortunate enough to take advantage of a $1000 rebate from federal and provincial home efficiency grants (the federal program has since expired). I am a professional engineer and I have recently purchased units to install in my house as well. I can't wait until my bills drop by 50% plus I’ll have A/C for those muggy summer nights (and Nalcor has lots of surplus power in the summer for A/C)!!!

• Maynard J. Clouter
    October 31, 2012 - 09:46

The more efficient "newer way" referenced by Mr. Adams is assumed to be heat pump technology. I fully agree that this option for residential heat in particular offers great advantages, and the capital costs have been reduced considerable with the recent introduction of ductless installations. In response to the Energy Plan Review of 2006 I offered the following comment which is reproduced verbatim: "Except for some federal initiatives, there have been very few (if any) Provincial measures aimed at reducing the demand for electricity. The emphasis has consistently been on finding ways to expand the supply. This is regrettable because conservation can be a very effective tool especially with respect to use of electrical energy for heating purposes. In particular, the application of the well established heat pump technology can greatly improve the efficiency with which electricity can be employed in residential heating. This isespecially true for our (moderate) maritime climate where winter temperatures do not deviate far from 0 degrees C for any extended periods because it is in this regime that heat pumps are most effective. There should be a concerted government effort to expand the use of this technology."

• Winston Adams
      October 31, 2012 - 10:54

Maynard, you understand the "newer way" and it's benefits. There are many mechanical engineers locallly who are very familiar with this and apply their expertise daily to save their clients on energy consumption. It needs to be applied to residential in particular and also commercial. Good guidelines are essential and would avoid expensive engineering analysis for individual houses. My concern is that too few, if any, MHAs understand these benefits. None, to my knowledge, has expressed a single word as to it's benefits to improve the welfare of the average Nflder on a cost of living aspect.

• Whoa
      October 31, 2012 - 14:33

Hang on there. Our "winter temperatures do not deviate far from 0 degrees C for extended periods of time". What is the definition of "extended periods of time"? Last year was a mild winter here on the west coast. Even then it was normal to go almost a week with an average temperature below -5C. The past January had 14 days below -5C, with 7 days with a maximum temp below -5C and 10 days where the minimum fell below -10C. February had 11 days with an average below -5C, with 7 days with a maximum temp below -5C and 10 days with a minimum temp. below -10C. A heat pump may be okay on the east coast but in places that have winter, well, you'd more than a heat pump.

• Maynard J. Clouter
      October 31, 2012 - 22:42

I normally would decline to respond to an anonymous comment, but in this case I will make an exception for WHOA. The advantage of the heat pump over direct electric heat is lost when the outside temperature reaches about -20C. The Canadian "National Climate Data and Information Archive" shows that for the period 1971 to 2000 the lowest daily average temperature for any month was not less than -5.5C for St. John's and -7.2C for Corner Brook. Yes, there will be several days (nights) when the temperature is much lower, but we need to heat our houses over a period of 6 to 7 months and the these instances are not likely to be significant when considering the advantages as a seasonal average.

• Ken Collis
    October 31, 2012 - 07:58

As I've said before, EXACTLY who are you, and anyone else who posts here? You too John Smith. We need info both ways on the issue from folks who have nothing to gain either way. Tell us who you are and what interest you have on the issue and I'll listen. Ken Collis is my name. I live in Rencontre East. I work in the oil and gas industry, but not in Canada. I don't make any management decisions, and I have NO say in anything. I'm just a worker. I've seen the feds cut my overseas tax credit and now I'm seeing my power rates double and I'm trying to find a reason not to move away. All I need is to know from honest people is why I need to pay so much more to live here and exactly what it will cost me? I can live like a king elsewhere on just what I pay in taxes here but I love Newfoundland and I would like to stay. There are more people in my situation than you think.

• Winston Adams
      October 31, 2012 - 10:35

Ken, like you, I prefer to live in Nfld, in rural Nfld. There are some disadvantages, but we should enjoy some advantages, including one of the lowest power rates in Canada, and non poluting green energy as well . We already have about 85 percent hydro and it is outrageous to have our power bills go double what Man, Que and BC have so we can get to 98 percent green energy. Efficiency can do this and actually lower our power bills due to a much less power consumption, not by rationing, but more heat for our homes, more comfort , and at less cost. This is well proven technology. You ask "EXACTLY who are you"? I state my qualifications on this issue. What else would you like to know?