Comments

Comments

• t
    November 21, 2012 - 09:52

It's a pretty black and white decision for me. It costs less to keep the bandstand than to tear it down and build a new one. This is taxpayer's money, and I see no need to overspend unnecessarily.

• Happily Retired
      November 21, 2012 - 14:16

T, Actually that's not how Council sees it. Apparently, it will cost more to leave the bandstand there because they will now have to build around it, and then re-furbish it. Danny Breen said "we will find the money." I just hope it doesn't mean increased taxes.

• david
    November 21, 2012 - 08:27

Be careful there.....if one starts qualifying what makes something historically worthy or special other than longevity or age, there isn't too much in or about Newfoundland that actually makes the cut....not much at all.

• Max Roe
    November 21, 2012 - 07:27

The first two posters echo my opinion. To "Happily Retied": Brace yourself. It will go down like this: Council: Assessments have increased by 50%, but we will reduce the mill rate so that taxes only increase by 40%. Que the taxpayer outcry. Council responds: OK. We have reviewed the numbers and only need to increase taxes by 35%. Cue the public sigh of relief that taxes are ONLY increasing by 35%. Enjoy the new hangout...I mean bandstand.

• Turry from town
    November 20, 2012 - 15:20

I've lived in St.John's all my life.Been to Bannerman park a good few times and never even saw the bandstand let alone been in it.Now council wants to build a new one,install a skating trail throughout the park,at a couple of million dollars??? There are places in this city that do not even have sidewalks.I agree with happily retired,my taxes better not increase to pay for this project,that is way down on the priority list.Maybe council should seek funding from the private sector and name the bandstand and skating trail with the name of choice by the financial backers.

• Happily Retired
    November 20, 2012 - 09:28

Thank you for your well-written, logical response to this issue. If only Council could think as well. I watched the debate last night and nearly got sick watching Doc O'Keefe, Danny Breen and Frank Galgay beg for votes. Their decision had nothing to do with the strategic planning or fiscal responsibility which you should expect from a Council. It was all about a vulgar attampt to get votes. You clowns may want to go on a spending spree, but my taxes had better not increase.