Many thanks, John Crosbie

One of Newfoundland’s and Canada’s greatest Newfoundlanders and politicians is about to depart from a long career in public life into a richly deserved retirement.

I’m referring, of course, to Mr. John C. Crosbie.

This gentleman has done more for Newfoundland than any other person in our history. The only problem is that all of his great accomplishments may never be known in our lifetime.

He has served Newfoundland first as a councillor and deputy mayor for St. John’s, then as an MHA  for St. John’s.

In 1978 he resigned to run in the federal district of St. John’s West, a seat he won and held until his retirement in 1993.

Now he is finishing up a five-year term as lieutenant-governor of Newfoundland and Labrador. His service and his accomplishments for Newfoundland and Labrador may never be equalled. We (Newfoundlanders) owe him a depth of gratitude which we will never be able to repay.

Those of us who have lived through his era were very fortunate to have witnessed this man’s greatness.

To Mr. and Mrs. Crosbie, I say many, many thanks for making my province a better place to live and may the good Lord grant you both a long and healthy, happy retirement. You may go but you will not be forgotten.

Don Lester

St. John’s

Geographic location: Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada

Comments

Comments

• Don Lester
    January 09, 2013 - 15:05

David. One thing I forgot to mention, unlike you, I don't have to stoop to insults, your level of ignorance or your lack of ability to intelligently discuss this man's contribution to our province without lacing it with a load of verbal diarrhea. I feel so sorry for you David if this is the best you can do.

• Don Lester
    January 09, 2013 - 14:45

David first I never said anywhere I had 3 children (goats have kids). I'm not going to play your "confusing game" but if you ever read a news paper or turned on a radio or TV from the mid 80's to 1993 I would not have to "explain" what Mr.. Crosbie did for Newfoundland. However I do feel sorry for your lack of knowledge on the subject. If you would like to leave your phone number or call me I would gladly explain "the facts" to you.

• ginn
    January 07, 2013 - 19:10

Perhaps David is confused and not too bright, I referred to my three children who now enjoy working in this now prosperous province. They are here as a result of the this status being greatly helped along by J.C.'s efforts while in office and in no way are as a result of patronage. Besides I am not Don Lester!

• Don Lester
    January 07, 2013 - 11:50

Hate to burst your bubble David, but Mr. Crosbie did not get my children jobs as they are both self employed. You might want to get your facts straight before you start running of the mouth.

• david
      January 07, 2013 - 13:03

Hard to get "facts straight" when you can't perceive what facts are relevant, to your point, or how to briefly and clearly state them. If unrelated to anything Crosbie caused or did, what isw the point?....Are you just incapable of logical thought, or trying to retract an embarrassing confession?

• david
      January 07, 2013 - 13:08

BTW...in your original post, Don, you had 3 kids. Now, apparently you only have 2....sorry for your untimely loss?! tsk tsk tsk...a Crosbie carpet bagger.

• ginn
    January 05, 2013 - 17:13

"spare me" cynics we always have too many, contributors too few. Hon. John & Jane were contributors, I'm happy for that .... and my three children who now enjoy careers in our home province!

• david
      January 07, 2013 - 08:58

Bragging about how Crosbie got your kids jobs for which they almost certainly had few qualifications or skills....and instead of seeing how your admission confirms the incredibly corrupt, expensive and pointless economic "system", you think Crosbie is a "great Newfoundlander"...I think your post captures the handout mentlaity and essence of this pathetic place like no other, and shows what Crosbie's career was...just another pork farmer who tossed stolen feed to his pen of piglets.

• Skeptical Cynic
    January 05, 2013 - 11:36

Hear, hear! John Crosbie is a great NLer and deserves the boquet for sure. Also, Mr. Crosbie's colleauge Brian Mulrooney deserves acollades for not being afraid to "inflict prosperity on NL", thereby setting the stage for the level of prosperity NL currently enjoys. What a feeling of satisfaction these men must share when they look upon what they have wrought! Hats off to both of them, gentlemen whose legacies, with regards to their influence on the development of NL society, history will most assuredly judge as being positive... by quantum leaps.

• Joan Forsey
    January 04, 2013 - 19:30

Spare Me: The Atlantic Accord, for one thing. Hence the revenues for NL from offshore oil and gas!

• david
    January 04, 2013 - 15:41

John Crosbie wasn't as talented as Wayne & Shuster or the Royal Canadian Air Farce...but he made more money being a professional fool paid by the Canadian taxpayer than they ever did.

• Don Lester
    January 04, 2013 - 13:42

To "Spare Me:"" It's to bad you did not have the courage to sign your name. I could have called you and named just some of the things I know he has accomplished. It was not that I was unable to list some of the things he has done, it"s just that it would take up to much of the page.

• Spare Me
    January 04, 2013 - 08:57

''This gentleman has done more for Newfoundland than any other person in our history.'' I note the letter writer was unable to provide a single example in support of that foolish claim.