Don’t rush to judgment

On Nov. 2, 2012, my wife, LynnAnn Noseworthy, was accused of robbing 10 businesses.

Within hours of her arrest, she was taken to hospital suffering back pain. The pain she was enduring was, in fact, her liver in a state of swelling and acute malfunction, flooding LynnAnn’s brain with deadly mind-destroying ammonia and enzymes, a condition known as hepatic encephalopathy. If untreated, it is fatal.

Upon being released on bail, my wife lay in bed, sick and in pain. We were unaware she was slowly dying from acute liver failure until she had total hepatic failure on Dec. 16 — rushed to hospital where she stayed in acute care for the next six days. She was only hours from death, but thanks to the aggressive treatment and great staff at the Health Sciences Centre, she pulled through.

This whole ordeal has left her with greatly reduced mental capacity (a lot like Alzheimer’s disease) and extreme memory loss, both short and long term.

LynnAnn was physically sick, we just didn’t know it until it almost killed her.

Public attacks were swift

The public was lightning-fast in crucifying this sweet, caring, young girl, when in reality she was knocking on death’s door and crying for help.

Hyper ammonia levels in her brain reduced her ability to reason beyond the level of a five-year-old child.

LynnAnn’s liver was never suspected in years past because she is a non-drinker and non-smoker.

LynnAnn is at home under 24 hour care by me and is improving slowly with promise.

Of course she is scared after learning what she is accused of doing. Scared like a five-year-old child.

I had promised to marry this girl years ago and I fulfilled that promise last weekend with the help of our great mayor, Dennis O’Keefe.

I ask one constitutional favour from the people of St. John’s.

Please allow my LynnAnn a fair and just trial based on all the evidence according to Canadian law and provisions within our Canadian Charter pertaining to her diseased brain condition, now treated and reversed.

She is truly an angel.

Stephen D. Redgrave

St. John’s

Organizations: Health Sciences Centre

Comments

Comments

• jude
    March 18, 2013 - 12:11

its understandable to want to help your wife,but you got to look at the real world. think about what she has done and the peope that are scared cus of the things she has done.In sickness or in health a crime is a crime and she must pay some kind of price. geting people to sign a petition so she doesnt see jail time and not really saying everything she has done and leave inportant things out is not the right way to go about it. If all the crazy,sick and bad ppl put up petitions and got everyone to sign it then wewould have ALOT of bad ppl on the street and no one would ever be safe..theres a reason we got cops, judges and the justice. so they make the smart choice to put away ppl that do crime.if this wasnt happening to ur wife and someone else did the crimes then would you do the same thing your doing now?....i think you would want that person to payfor their crime too....

• SD Redgrave
      March 18, 2013 - 16:00

By the way it sounds, you were there when the crimes took place? Best you come forward now. We've been looking for any witnesses.

• jude
      March 22, 2013 - 13:21

i was not there, but by what the news says it makes you seem like you were there with her. since it said "police are investigating whether someone else helped with the robberies".so its more like, the cops and the people of newfoundland are looking for that other person.So why dont you come forward and turn yourself in?....

• jude
      March 22, 2013 - 13:31

i can give a link to where i saw it. if you like to see for yourself..

• Sd Redgrave
    February 15, 2013 - 09:58

On August 2-2005 Air France flight 358 carrying 306 people crashed and burned to it's skeleton at Toronto international Airport. It was by all accounts one of the worst airline crashes in Canadian history, however, thanks to the great effort from the flight crew and even bystanders who rushed to help---All 306 passegers got out alive and well.---It was "The most successful crash in aviation history"--- There is nothing "sick" about saving lives---It works when people work together.

• Justice
    February 15, 2013 - 09:04

I believe you are having some Troble reading! Myself and others are saying person needs to face the consequences of their actions! Once again if not Jail then a mental hospital.... If she is sick like you "say" then a mental Hospital would be fitting but she can not be set free after her actions what kind of msg does that send?

• Redgrave
    February 15, 2013 - 08:53

Anyone who is under the impression the LynnAnn is not answering to her alleged crimes....Thus far: *14 days in prison *On lock down (house arrest) 11 hours per day as per curfew. *Signes in everyday with the RNC (a10 kilometer walk every day) *Drivers license is suspended *Lynns vehicle is gone forever *Weekly visits to her doctor and other court ordered programs *Her passport was taken *Her name was smeared on the news And after perhaps two years of doing this...she still may face prison. Any further comments that imply LynnAnn is not facing the consequences are of no value to anyone but yourself. I discovered that 80% of the people are supporting LynnAnn's brave effort....thanks to the good people :)

• Justice
    February 15, 2013 - 08:53

criminal charges waiting for me? You make everything public all over your sites maybe you need to remember your post.... I have no reason to want to interupt your weeding.. I have never met you nor do I ever want to... Not sure who you believe I am but once again whatever helps you sleep at night...

• Justice
    February 15, 2013 - 07:59

Oh I read every last word! And know the truth and what you have printed is anything BUT the truth! Just a tip to you Lynn and whoever may need to know this when a bottle says Maximum of 8 per day maybe that should be the limit?? You Mr Redgrave said she was taking 30-40 per day AFTER getting out on bail and that was the real reason she was in hospital on Dec 16th... You can attack me as a person if that helps you sleep better most people like yourself need that to feel some self worth... I am Stating that her or any other person needs to face the consequences of their actions! Once again if not Jail then a mental hospital with high security for a long time!

• Redgrave
      February 15, 2013 - 08:28

My dear Justice: Please show us where I wrote any details of LynnAnn Tylenol consumption? You just told us who you are. The same person who tried to interupt our wedding. There are criminal charges waiting for you if you dare to show your real name.

• Justice
    February 14, 2013 - 19:59

protect society from people like you?? Really? I have held the same Job for years and have NO record! I know alot of people who have Health Problem and Dont go around holding places up! Once again she needs to stop hiding behind a lie and face what she has done! I want to know why there are so many lies?? You/her have been on 2 differnt networks now telling very different stories! Like you posted she is gone to spain and then the other account says she is home knitting? Why all the Stories? and then here another story all together! The one thing a lier needs to learn is its easier to remember the truth then a lie! Hope she gets what is coming to her!

• Redgrave
      February 15, 2013 - 06:52

You too Justice prove my point, you are one of the few who fail to read all the data, picking out only what is easiest to understand. I'm glad Lynn is knitting to pass the time. It's a good skill to have. BTW Don't believe everything you read on cheap internet sights. Trust the good ones like the Telegram. There is nothing fake about death. You arrogantly think in your own little world that LynnAnn Faked total hepatic failure? That shows me and the World how low your I.Q truly is and that you couldn't have read every word written. This is dangerous. I'm glad you don't have a high responsibility job. Do you still think the World is Flat?

• Stephen D Redgrave
    February 14, 2013 - 14:03

Thank you Jude---You proved my point. When did Newfoundland break away from Canada? Next time you fly an airline, or in your case , ride the bus...be happy your pilot or driver is flying by the rules and not making them up as they go along. Newfoundland is Canada. Canada has rules.

• Steohen D Redgrave
    February 14, 2013 - 07:19

Dear Justice (if that's your real name) The very reason we have The Canadian Charter of rights and freedoms is to protect society from people like you. The criminal code is also in place to protect us from you. I live in Newfoundland...please don't embarrass our people's intelligence with your mob mentallity. You can do better.

• jude
      February 14, 2013 - 13:31

its more like steve dont embrass newfoundland people, you were married into a newfie, you're not from there..what your doing is making the great land seem bad and in justices in their judgement towards lynn....and no the canadian charter of rights is protecting us from people like you and people that think like you..there are people in jail that are sick but they still do their time.. a crime is a crime no matter how sick you are...watch the news!!!....its either jail or the insane house they go.....if you do the crime you must pay the price....and theres lots of prof that she did the crime!!!

• Justice
    February 13, 2013 - 19:40

JUDE Thank you! Your so right if not jail then a insane house is right.. She was found able to stand trial... She just got married but her head isnt all there? Please.... your writing this letter and saying she should be set free becuse she is now sick?? ok so everyone can go hold up a place and just say they are sick right? She did the crime she needs to be a woman and do the time!

• Stephen D Redgrave
    February 13, 2013 - 06:54

Awe Jude: hey if you want to call me I'm in the book. Then I can explain in more detail. "Unaware" means, not fully understanding of the scope and magnatude of both her prior health issues, and the consequences of the actions she is accused of (still not certain if she was involved or not since there has been no trial or prelim) Lynn is however, now cognitive and lucid, fully aware, but only to the extent of knowing what the media and police have been saying. She must now trust 100% , the judgement and guidance of those around her, particularly the ones who love her and wish for a pleasant outcome for the remaining half century of her life. I will be deceased long before Lynn (statistically) and with any luck her granchildren will benefit from her presence here on Earth. Take care

• jude
    February 11, 2013 - 22:10

you do the crime you pay the price...insane house or jail...if she doesnt do time no one will feel safe, our system would have faild the public.and allll the bad ppl will say the same thing to get away with their crime..im not a healthy person but i dont go around robbing or killing people...if u cant control it u shouldnt be allowed in public...steve's saying lynn is ill whats lynn saying?.. if the tests come back good then what else are you going to blame it on....why are you talking for lynn when its her life on the line?.......

• SD Redgrave
      February 12, 2013 - 08:22

Dear Jude: I speak because Lynn has been unable and unaware. If the test are now coming back sound and well as opposed to weeks ago...GREAT!!! that means the doctors, police, court system and myself have done everything we could and succeeded for a change. The public can be proud of our system...not afraid of it. Don't be affraid, hopefully someone will speak for you when you need help. peace

• jude
      February 13, 2013 - 00:31

lynns unaware of what?....

• Stephen D Redgrave
    February 05, 2013 - 09:31

Amanda seems to care about LynnAnn (this is good) , yet she is a non believer in medical facts (this can be dangerous if you want to live healthy) I'm sure that all three internal medicine specialists, one great resident doctor and a half dozen students who examined LynnAnn while she lay in hospital near death, would be insulted if anyone told them they were wrong in their synopsis and diagnosis. LynnAnn had a team of doctors on her side who showed amazing skill and bedside manner. The nurses? ...well, what can I say? Their dedication and sense of duty is can not be praised enough. They were simply outstanding. As for proving Lynn's condition....I hope eastern health didn't dump her file by accident, I'm so glad Lynn did not need to die to prove a point. Neither LynnAnn or myself hold any malice towards the RNC who did an amazing job. The young policewoman who interwieved me is an example of great police work and should be used for training others. Kudos!

• Stephen D Redgrave
    February 05, 2013 - 07:39

RJ.....Today...nobody needs to remember news....just GOOGLE it. If you have information on this crime or any other please call constable Murphy of the RNC. I guess you don't read much. Meanwhile it's great to see people talking and learning new things. You can hear it now or at trial time. Remember RJ...You are never too old, or old school to learn new things! .

• Audrey Line
    February 04, 2013 - 19:56

Some alzheimers sufferers are prone to violence but do not get charged with assault because of their illness. Is LynnAnne's situation not similar in nature ?She was suffering from an illness which affected the brain and would have been fatal had she not received timely treatment.

• Amanda
    February 04, 2013 - 18:13

I know LynnAnn and yes I know she's wasn't in her right mind to go out and rob all those places. I know she's was tested to see is she Capable mind and body to stand trial, and she was fit! Y would u right something that has nothing to do with what is happening now, she's going to court the Judge is going to Decide her faith on what she did and the saying goes " if u do the crime, u do the time. " yes u lover her and u may think she's shouldn't be Punished, but in the eyes of someone else it will look like anyone can go out and do someone crazy and blame it on an Illness that may not even be there that can not be proved.

• Stephen Redgrave
    February 04, 2013 - 16:44

Good point Rob. Why put the spotlight on this girl? Because hiding serious problems has been a serious problem itself here in Newfoundland. No more hiding problems!! Find the cause and correct it , or it will continue. The better educated people understand what happend to LynnAnn. Obviousely you're having a little trouble, And yes....trials do have a way of proceeding with poorly defended accused. Judges count on us to be prepared and informed so he or she can make the correct judgement based on all mitigating circumstances.

• Rob
    February 04, 2013 - 14:56

What is the point oif this letter? Are you implying that people do not get fair trials? Are you trying to sway potential jurors (if it's a jury trial)? I, and I suspect most people, have completely forgotten about who committed these crimes and now you're putting the spotlight back on this woman. For what purpose?

• RJ
      February 04, 2013 - 16:07

Alot of ppl get sick...& don't commit crimes.Just wondering if the letter was intended for the rest of the low life criminal element...hmmmmm! "Oh my side hurts...maybe knock off a Esso for a few packs of smokes & case a beer"...!!!!!

• Maggy Carter
    February 04, 2013 - 13:05

The number of times that temporary insanity has been employed successfully as a defence in Canada is very small - I think perhaps one in a thousand. From all indications, this might legitimately be one such case. If so, then the defendant and her family deserve our sympathy and understanding. Nor should 'Frank' or the general public worry that an acquittal on such grounds would cause "a parade of dirtbags using the same defence". Canadian courts tend to be very demanding in placing the burden of proof on the defendant in such cases - which is why the defence is rarely used and even more rarely successful.

• Stephen Redgrave
      February 04, 2013 - 16:31

I agree with Maggy Carter, Teporary insanity is a terrible defense for anyone, however, LynnAnn was never "insane". Insanity is a legal term not a medical term. LynnAnn had a serious medical condition similar to when a driver has a stroke or seizure while driving causing multiple deaths...the patient is not guilty of the crime because of lack of Mens Rea (guilty mind). Temporary insanity is by no means LynnAnn's defense.

• Stephen D Redgrave
    February 04, 2013 - 09:59

Note to Lindy: I think you read someone else's article or letter. I never mentioned God's intervention. however, you are dead on....LynnAnn could have died otherwise. Also Note to Frank: Any dirtbag who comes within hours of death ...absolutely, use this as your defense. It was horrifying for me and family. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. To all other comments...Simply amazing! Thank you so much

• RJ
      February 04, 2013 - 15:19

So ur saying she robbed the stores due to being sick? If I remember correctly there were 2 ppl involved in the robbery on several shops that nite.

• Frank
    February 04, 2013 - 07:57

I guess there will be a parade of dirtbags using the same defence now!

• original townie
    February 04, 2013 - 07:53

@ Lindy. You stated God moves in mysterious ways. Are you suggesting God intervened by exposing LynnAnn's ilness? You've got to be kidding! That is a wild assumption. Hopefullly our society is not depending on God's intervention to get us through life, in this crazy world that we live, ie murders, robberies, assaults, wars et el.

• Stephen D Redgrave
      February 04, 2013 - 10:07

I apologise to Lindy: your comment is super. Virtually 100% accurate and "Original Townie" needs to have a little faith. I dare him to create even a simple blade of grass from carbon and dust.

• jane winsor
    February 03, 2013 - 21:15

I hope your wife has a complete recovery. Mr Redgrave there’s a special place in heaven for special people like you.

• robbie
    February 02, 2013 - 15:20

We should NEVER be assume anything or as the article states rush to judgement until we know ALL the FACTS This is the trouble with Todays media They want a story and will go to great lenths to convict to sell papers As the song goes" PEOPLE LOVE IT WHEN YOU LOSE ,WE NEED DIRTY LAUNDRY!! Shame on you ALL!!!!!!!!

• Lindy
    February 02, 2013 - 12:34

God moves in mystrious ways in revealing Lynn Anne's condition to her family and Doctors. I'm so glad to know that she is slowly recovering with the medication and Love being administerd to her.. My advise to the Public and her Peers is to remember "that he who is without Sin, cast the first stone"

• Also suffer from an illness
    February 02, 2013 - 11:35

Stephen I really feel sorry for both you and your wife,I too suffer from a medical illness,I just read on your wife's condition did you or anyone else see any kind of sign of your wife's mood or physical condition? Then how do we the people protect ourselves from the violence from people who suffer from such illnesses wether be mental or any others.Arm robbery with weapons is it fair for the person behind the counter to get beaten or maybe lose their life for doing their job then the person walk away because they are dealing with mental issues.Stephen I,m glad lynn Ann had gotten the help she needs and congrats on your marriage ,hope everything works out well.

• MBC
    February 02, 2013 - 11:31

Isn't this a case where charges should be dropped?

• saelcove
    February 02, 2013 - 10:19

Lot,s of angels in prison

• Russell Wangersky
      February 04, 2013 - 08:00

Just a quick note on submitted comments: our commenting system allows comments to be approved or rejected by moderators, but we have no access to comments to edit or change them in any way. Russell Wangersky