Comments

Comments

• Colin Burke
    February 16, 2013 - 20:15

Why do some of you argue with A Business Man as if he really were a sincere businessman? He, or she, is evidently a social critic using a somewhat blunt irony to show us how businessmen really think, which a real businessman would never reveal unless it were already too late for ordinary people to do anything about businessmen's power over us (which largely they have wielded through government control of education) -- uh!oh!

• saelcove
    February 15, 2013 - 11:11

So people go to the supermarket to check out what other people are buying,New flash mind your own business

• a business man
    February 15, 2013 - 11:04

Personally, I agree. Too many people are eating crap fast foods. That said, I own many fast food establishments/franchises in Canada and the USA and I make a lot of money by doing nothing. I just hire minimum wage workers to prepare and sell crappy food to people and I collect the profits. Even though I agree that we all deserve good food, it is not my job to provide good food. I am an aggressive and profit-minded investor and am quick to attempt to set up fast food establishments near new housing developments and near schools. I agree that people should not be eating so much fast foods( I don't eat any at all), it is not my place to tell them what to do. IT IS my place to make a profit, so that is what I do. At the end of the day, there is lots and lots of money to be made by selling crappy unhealthy foods to people who choose to eat crappy unhealthy foods. People need to educate the families on the harms of fast foods. I educate my family on said harms, but I also educate them on how to make profit from the bad choices of others.

• david
      February 15, 2013 - 11:12

" I own many fast food establishments/franchises in Canada and the USA and I make a lot of money by doing nothing." What a tangled web we weave.

• a business man
      February 15, 2013 - 12:59

Yes, I own many fast food establishments/franchises in Canada and the USA and I make a lot of money by doing nothing. I don't see how that is a tangled weave. You pay the franchising fees, you hire some people to run the place, and you collect the cheques. It is quite simple really, if you have the money to get in. The key is to hire minimum wage workers who have no skills or education. That way, you know they have no where better to go, and you know you can easily replace them if necessary. You DO need someone with a vested interest to make the place run smoothly, so I usually take on a local partner. Once you get in to this type of business (at the right location), it is really like collecting free money.

• A Real Business man
      February 16, 2013 - 16:31

I'd be willing to bet you live in your mother's basement and don't work at all.

• Frank
    February 15, 2013 - 10:12

To Ron: And your point is? It doesn't stress me out one iota. I could care less if people stuff garbage into their bodies. If you find that shallow so be it.

• Frank
    February 14, 2013 - 14:56

I get a kick out of the people with cases of bottled water in their carts along with bologna, chips, bacon and pepsi.

• david
      February 14, 2013 - 16:54

Yup. and these are the same ones completely in a panic about what they imagine fracking might do to the water supply, as if that could ever become the "weak link" for their own health. If it weren't so ridiculous, it would be laughable.

• Eli
      February 14, 2013 - 18:11

Frank, I've seen that hundreds of times. Some stund!

• Ron Tizzard
      February 15, 2013 - 06:56

You're easily amused FRANK; why don't you offer up a supportive comment to your fellow livyes....or is that all you can cough-up?

• Eli
      February 15, 2013 - 08:07

I see DAVID was on the loose again last evening. "Imagining" what fracking might do to their water supply? Come on b'y.

• Eli
    February 14, 2013 - 14:02

Disgraceful to see young mothers coming out of a supermarket with tons of Coke or Pepsi products, and of course the stores' own garbage. No wonder kids and adults look more & more like stuffed sausages every day. Seems we can't get enough sugar and salt.

• Ron Tizzard
      February 15, 2013 - 07:31

Eli, David and Frank, I really feel for you guys; three stooges, so stressed out about other peoples' food choices...why don't you step up and take advantage of the opportunity by offering these people a piece or two of your personal philosophical approach to life and insightful choices of food-stuffs? Why don't you share some supportive words and suggestions? Instead, you show yourselves to be just 'three stooges' taking sniper-like shots from the shadows...knowing nothing about the people you see for mere seconds, or the reason for their food choices. Shallow, shallow, shallow guys!

• Eli
      February 15, 2013 - 13:31

Ron Tizzard, The Canada Food Guide does my talking for me. You won't find Coke, Pepsi, White bread, Bacon, or buckets of Salt Beef in there. Now how about some solid wisdom from you.

• Fat boy slim
    February 14, 2013 - 12:05

I grew up here & moved overseas for 10 yrs. When I returned home 2 yrs ago I was shocked! I have never seen so many obese ppl ..I run every second nite and every home aglow with TV & laptops.I am amazed how few ppl hike the beautiful east coast trail.20 cars deep @ fast food outlets & Tim's..It is a sad way we have become in such a short time :(

• Colin Burke
    February 14, 2013 - 08:46

To deserve good food -- since what we deserve are our deeds' effects -- we ought to grow or to hunt good food or else provide, just as directly by actually doing the providing of it, something almost as important -- like shelter, clothing, or essential recreation -- to those who do hunt or grow good food. By the way, "you are what you eat" did not originally mean what people today take it to mean: St. Athanasius first used it to point out that when Christians take Communion, they become assimilated to Christ: that the Eucharist therein differs from ordinary food which in fact is assimilated to the one who consumes it. Your ordinary food becomes yourself, but when you take Communion, "you are what you eat."