Comments

Comments

• Cyril Rogers
    March 15, 2013 - 10:45

In response to NOT A PC SUPPORTER BUT...may I remind you that this same "public service" has grown exponentially since the advent of the current party, which came to power in 2003. Danny threw money at everything, with only the thought that oil would increase forever.....having failed to learn from history. Indeed, they do need to cut back but I'd be inclined to start with some of the managerial types and especially some of the public relations positions that they use to propagandize their works! And, while they are at it, they need to get their heads out of the sand and put the completely unnecessary Muskrat Falls project on hold....a waste of taxpayers dollars if I ever saw one. I know it will be developed through borrowing but we, the people, are the only captive subscribers and will have to pay for generations.

• Eli
    March 15, 2013 - 07:05

When the government changed the structure of School Boards to make them more efficient(?) 138 new managerial positions were created. Go figure!

• RJ
    March 15, 2013 - 00:30

Maybe this makes no sense but I broke my finger last wk & was @ Emerge in HS.For almost 3hrs I waited on a bed inside Emerge after xray was done.The best was I could see the PC screen @ nurse station.2 nurses steady on a dating site. I asked one for some water she looked ticked off I was interrupting her.I remarked how disgusted I was.She turned red.I wonder how many misuse work for such behavior.

• Jamie C
    March 14, 2013 - 18:09

Funny how fiscal restraint comes at the heels of committing billions to Muskrat Falls. No worries, Dunderdale has as much a chance of getting re-elected as the Icecaps winning the Calder Cup this year!

• Cyril Rogers
    March 14, 2013 - 11:05

This is either a government without a clue as to how to get us through some lean years...what an irony in a "booming" economy....or a government whose priorities are seriously screwed up. The fact remains that they can cut here and there but when you max out the credit card, as many of us know from experience, your financial situation can become dire over time. With their insane obsession to complete the Muskrat Falls, this government has effectively maxed out their credit card and nothing they do will correct that incredible mistake....short of cancelling that entire project.

• tuff tory times
    March 14, 2013 - 07:55

All these cuts will only account for a few bonuses within government and nalcor.

• Chantal
    March 14, 2013 - 07:21

From Stephen Colbert: "If we don't cut expensive things like [...] children's nutrition programs, teachers and student loans, what sort of future are we leaving for our children?

• Jay
    March 14, 2013 - 07:08

You're right. Or how about slowing down the capital works spending. Maybe taking four years to complete what you had planned to complete in two, or slowing down the grants to Nalcor. You were quick enough to do it to the volunteer agencies you shut down. There are many solutions and you don't need to spend extra money hiring Wade Locke to find them. This phony deficit fiasco is more about putting the unions in line than it is about sound fiscal management.The electorate has to realize that this budgetary crisis has been a total fabrication by this provincial government. I hope we remember during the election.

• Not a PC supporter but...
    March 14, 2013 - 06:57

Attitudes like this make my blood boil. Our government's responsibility is to ensure the efficient and effective delivery of necessary public services. The civil service charged to deliver these services is neither. If practices were tightened up, government could lay off another 1500. That's going to be challenging in an environment where our civil service is viewed as a make work project.