Caribou memorial returns to Bowring Park

Send to a friend

Send this slideshow to a friend.

Published on November 09, 2013

The early Saturday morning sunshine casts a glow upon the The Royal Newfoundland Regiment (RNR) caribou bronze statue emblem memorial as it waits to be removed from the Max Duffett & Sons Ld. boom truck at the memorial site at Bowering Park on Saturday morning. The statue was removed from the site for two months of repairs and a complete overhaul this past August 20th., 2013 and put back into its original home on Saturday morning. The statue was first placed there and unveiled on July 1, 1928.

Published on November 09, 2013

Boom truck operator Greg Duffett of Max Duffett & Sons Ltd., prepares the 1700 pound Royal Newfoundland Regiment (RNR) caribou bronze statue to be lifted from the 80-tonne truck at the statue's memorial site at Bowering Park on Saturday morning. The statue was removed from the site for two months of repairs and a complete overhaul this past August 20th., 2013 and put back into its original home on Saturday morning. The statue was first placed there and unveiled on July 1, 1928.

Published on November 09, 2013

As military veterans look on, sculptor Morgan MacDonald of the Newfoundland Bronze Foundry of Logy Bay, uses a grinder to cut away the safety transport "caribou hoof" base from Royal Newfoundland Regiment (RNR) caribou bronze statue emblem memorial site at Bowering Park on Saturday morning. The statue was removed from the site for two months of repairs and a complete overhaul this past August 20th., 2013 and put back into its original home on Saturday morning. The statue was first placed there and unveiled on July 1, 1928.

Published on November 09, 2013

RNR member Master Warrant Officer (MWO) Spencer Barnes assists in the prep work being done on Saturday morning at the Royal Newfoundland Regiment (RNR) caribou statue memorial site at Bowering Park. Sculptor Morgan MacDonald of the Newfoundland Bronze Foundry of Logy Bay, uses a grinder to cut away the safety transport "caribou hoof" base from the Max Duffett boom truck it was carried to the park on. The RNR's emblem of the Caribou bronze statue has once again returned home after being put back in place by folks from the Newfoundland Bronze Factory in Logy Bay after the 1700 pound statue was removed from there this past August 20th., 2013 for repairs and a major overhaul. In the own words of MWO Barnes, "I'm here because our Caribou  . . . . our emblem is coming home." The Bowering Park Caribou emblem is only one of six in the world Barnes said as the prep work was being done on rocky wall area at the park. The others are four in France and one in Belgium.

Published on November 09, 2013

CWO (Retr'd.) Terry Hurley, left, of the Royal Newfoundland Regiment Advisory Council holds the guide rope as Chris Butt, right, of Newfoundland Bronze Factory Limited, helps guide the Royal Newfoundland Regiment (RNR) caribou bronze statue into place at the base of the emblem memorial site at Bowering Park on Saturday morning. The statue was removed from the site for two months of repairs and a complete overhaul this past August 20th., 2013. The statue was first placed there and unveiled on July 1, 1928. In the background, Frank Gogos of the Foundry, grabs a Sharpie marker from his pocket to mark around the base of the hoofs of the caribou for holes to be drilled in the rock base with a jackhammer for the statue. 

Published on November 09, 2013

The Royal Newfoundland Regiment (RNR) bronze caribou statue emblem is lifted off a boom truck on Saturday morning as it gets set to be placed back at its home in Bowering Park this past Saturday morning by folks from the Newfoundland Bronze Factory in Logy Bay. The 1700 pound statue was removed form the site this past August 20, 2013 for repairs and a complete overhaul. The statue was first placed there and unveiled on July 1, 1928.

Published on November 09, 2013

The iconic 1700 pounbd bronze caribou statue at Royal Newfoundland Regiment (RNR) memorial site at Bowering Park was returned home on Saturday morning after being put back in place by folks from the Newfoundland Bronze Factory in Logy Bay this past Saturday morning. Lining up the legs for to put it in place for the pins to be marked on the bedrock base and holes drilled, are, from left, are the Foundry's Frank Gogos, Chris Butt and sculptor Morgan MacDonald.

Published on November 09, 2013

Frank Gogos of the Newfoundland Bronze Foundry of Logy Bay uses a mini-jackhammer to drill holes in the bedrock base at the Royal Newfoundland Regiment (RNR) caribou bronze statue emblem memorial site at Bowering Park on Saturday morning. The statue was removed from the site for two months of repairs and a complete overhaul this past August 20th., 2013 and put back into its original home on Saturday morning. The statue was first placed there and unveiled on July 1, 1928.

Published on November 09, 2013

Before the base caribou hoof pins were sealed with adhesive anchoring acrylic and concretre mixtures, Royal Newfoundland Regiment (RNR) band member Warrant Officer (WO) Gerry Corbett, left, places a vile of clay from the grounds of the Regiment's memorial at Beaumont-Hamel, France, into the base of the RNR's Caribou memorial site at Bowering Park on Saturday morning. Master Warrant Officer (MWO) Spencer Barnes, right, waits to place an Afghanistan Veterans lapel pin into the base as well after both watched the the re-installation of the RNR's Bowering Park Caribou emblem memorial site on Saturday morning. The Caribou was returned home after being put back in place by folks from the Newfoundland Bronze Factory in Logy Bay this past Saturday morning after the 1700 pound statue was away for over two months for repairs and a complete overhaul since removed from there this past August 20th., 2013. The statue was first placed there and unveiled on July 1, 1928, but since then had some minor repairs in 2003/2004 until its latest major overhaul this year. In the own words of MWO Barnes watching the, for him, moving ceremony, of the statue re-installation , "I'm here because our Caribou  . . . . our emblem is coming home." The Bowering Park Caribou emblem is only one of six in the world Barnes said as the prep work was being done on rocky wall area at the park. The others are four in France and one in Belgium.

Published on November 09, 2013

The iconic 1700 pound bronze caribou statue at Royal Newfoundland Regiment (RNR) memorial site at Bowering Park was returned home on Saturday morning after being put back in place by folks from the Newfoundland Bronze Factory in Logy Bay this past Saturday morning. When the project was completed, CWO (Retr'd.) Terry Hurley of the Royal Newfoundland Regiment Advisory Council lead a prayer of remembrance in front of the statue and cited "We Will Remewmber Them" with a moment of silence too.

A statue of a caribou that has been situated in Bowring Park for 85 years was returned to its resting place on top of a small rocky hill on Saturday in St. John's. Telegram photographer Joe Gibbons took these photos.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments

Recent comments

  • Richard
    December 02, 2013 - 21:19

    Thank You.