Dunderdale thrilled to run Tely 10

Robin
Robin Short

Kathy Dunderdale says taking over the premier's chair on the eighth floor at Confederation Building felt pretty darn good, but she admitted Sunday finishing her first Telegram 10-Mile Road Race Sunday feels just as good.

"Getting across that finish line felt wonderful. It really did," said Dunderdale, the first sitting premier to run and complete the Tely 10.

Running with a pair of bodyguards and her communications assistant, Dunderdale crossed the finish line in 1:49.58, No. 2,153 of the 2,863 to finish.

"I finished, and not the last one to do so, so that was pretty good," she said with a smile.

Dunderdale's story is quite inspiring. She originally hoped to lose 20 or 25 pounds, but nine months after starting a diet and beginning an exercise regimen, she's dropped nearly 100 pounds.

"I've watched this race for many years with envy, never thinking I'd be able to run it," she said. "I never had it in my mind to run anything, but a number of friends were running. I started walking and when I moved into the Field House with winter setting in, I thought maybe I'd try to run a lap.

"I didn't like it very much, but I thought I'd try it the next year and I did, and here I am.

"I just want to say to everyone: there's no right time to do this. Whenever you feel that you want to give it a try, go for it and take it in small steps. Have a walk beforehand. Walk up your street and build on it from there."

rshort@thetelegram.com

Organizations: Field House

Comments

Comments

• Arrr
    July 28, 2011 - 07:32

The guy puking is the best part

• MJanes
    July 26, 2011 - 08:32

I think it is quite an accomplishment and believe it says a lot of our premier and commitment maybe more of us should use her example and be a little healthier. It's funny how we are more hurtful to our own. we are supposed to be known as a friendly province but yet we tear down our own. If it's not the weather someone is complaining about it's someone's good fortune! Way to go premier Dunderdale and I did read about the winners as well congratulations to them as well for a job well done!!

• Wow
    July 26, 2011 - 07:48

It amazes me how much hate is out there.

• MudderL
    July 26, 2011 - 07:35

I wonder how many of these armchair critics ran in the Tely 10?

• out of province
    July 26, 2011 - 06:28

I am ashamed at the comments people have left concerning this article. The Tely is a 16 km road race to start with(10 miles) and the amount of time and commitment needed to prepare for this is huge. I don't think Kathy Dunderdale woke up a week befor the Tely and felt she would run this to boost her popularity. I have read some inspiring stories about Colin Fewer as well as others But being the fastest does not inspire me to get up off the couch. I work with a lot of women in the running world and it is stories like the premiers that inspire them to believe in themselves. Great job Kathy and congratulations!

• Healthy
    July 25, 2011 - 22:43

Publishing this story promotes living a healthy and active lifestyle. I think this makes Premier Dunderdale a role model. So for those of you who are displeased with the story, what have you done for the people of your province lately?

• DahcreveFib
    July 25, 2011 - 21:39

Danny wouldn't need "bodyguards".

• randy
    July 25, 2011 - 20:59

tell it like it is paula

• cathy
    July 25, 2011 - 19:18

Come on people....Premier Kathy Dunderdale is a person...who took notice of changes needed in her health.....and she did it....I congratulate her. Body guards are needed because of all the crazy stuff out there that's so out of control. You inspire me Ms. Kathy Dunderdale....

• Level Complete
    July 25, 2011 - 17:35

The real story here is not the fact that nearly 3,000 people finished a ten miler, but what will the NLAA do with the scads of money thay made off of this race. Revenue looks like arounf $300,000 with sponsorships and expenses were low (so too were the numbers of volunteers) so the NLAA mad like a $200,000 profit.

• Angie
    July 25, 2011 - 16:57

I wish that people would lay off how much this cost tax payers, how its not a huge achievement. Reporting on feel good stories like this gives other people facing the obesity epidemic hope. Dunderdale was not a small lady to start with and I commend her for her progress through a HEALTHY LIFESTYLE. You wanna get into costs? How about considering how inspiring change in the diets and physical activity levels of all Newfoundlanders would affect the cost of health care? Grow up with the scrutinizing, feel motivated, and get off your computer chair and go do something physically active. Its great that an elite athlete like Colin Fewer has another title, it shows his commitment to his goals which is admirable, but lets see for a second what an average joe can do too.

• D Power
    July 25, 2011 - 16:45

Way to go Premier! Getting in shape is always a good choice, but getting to this run also, wow!, Running the Tely 10, is such a committment. Bravo! I am a fairly new runner and sadly wasn't ready for this race this year, and am very impressed by her drive. She is an inspiration to people, and is showing herself to be a very strong woman. Shame on those who put her accomplishment down. Move on people!

• gettin old
    July 25, 2011 - 16:11

I think it's wonderful Kathy Dunderdale has become so fit at this time in her life.That was no easy task!! Not everyone can run like this and to do so shows great strength and commitment ! She is an inspiration to all!

• Mike
    July 25, 2011 - 16:00

The last few comments are very angry/nasty. Lighten up folks......it's not a big issue. If you want to find a big problem , go to Norway.

• dagger
    July 25, 2011 - 15:21

Stop complaining about her Good Accomplishments.The Race was won by a Great Athlete who can use some support on the National scene not just the tely 10.

• bill
    July 25, 2011 - 15:02

Lots of comments from the arm chair watchers! Try getting off your butt and doing something like the Premier did.

• joe
    July 25, 2011 - 14:09

Taking over the Premier's job felt good? I guess so - most people need to be elected to that seat by the people, not more Danny Williams patronage which has plagued the city.

• fred
    July 25, 2011 - 13:55

HOW MUCH did this cost the taxpayers?? running with her bodyguards and assistant - I guess the bodyguards ran for free?

• Always a Newfoundlander
    July 25, 2011 - 13:02

I'm proud of Premier Dunderdale for her accomplishment in the Tely Ten. Anyone who's been on a diet will truly understand how difficult it is to loose that amount of weight and if that wasn't enough; to run the Tely Ten is amazing. Congratulations for a job well done!!

• what about the winner
    July 25, 2011 - 12:53

What about the person who won the race ... this is sooo sad, get back to work Dunderdale and start doing something for newfoundlanders!!! I agree with Mike Won't be the only race she loses this year!

• Paula
    July 25, 2011 - 12:24

Whoopee! Well guess what? Three thousand other people ran in the Tely 10 and more than 99% were never noticed. It took her almost two hours to run?walk 10K - so what! I used to run/walk annual back to back (two days in a row) 16K in combat boots not runnings shoes, a helmet bouncing on my head, an 11 pound rifle in my hands, a full water canteen biuncing on my waist all while carrying another 40 lbs and yes I'M a female. So, knock it off with your right wing coverage with Dunderdale. Surely you can find more newsworthy material.

• Lisa
      July 25, 2011 - 14:19

Paula, my thoughts exactly !!!!

• fred
    July 25, 2011 - 12:21

How about an article on Mr. Fewer - who has won this SEVEN TIMES IN A ROW! Nice that Kathy lost a few pounds but French is still huge, so let's not beat the gong yet. Maybe if everyone got MHA salaries they could afford to eat better too.

• Jay
      July 25, 2011 - 16:59

Good Caps, why do you hate this woman so much? She lost 100lbs, while working a tough job. I'm pretty sure she doesn't work 8-4 and her bodyguards didn't cost you anything extra. My boss is the CDS and his bodyguards, who are probably, some of the best in the world get a salary. Fred, you got to get a life and possible try to walk 16 miles in a day.

• Impressed
    July 25, 2011 - 11:42

I'm very impressed by this woman's drive and commitment. I'm proud she is my premier!!

• Mike
    July 25, 2011 - 11:08

Won't be the only race she loses this year!

• Mike
    July 25, 2011 - 11:07

Is she the only one who ran it? Enough already she ran the Tely - we get it!

• L Butler
    July 25, 2011 - 09:44

Cant tell you how much this woman is inspiring me. I respected her as she worked with Danny Williams, and I admired her even more as she took the Premiers seat. AS a woman now re-inventing my career, its inspiring to see how far she's come and what a great job shes done with it. As an overweight woman, to see her drop all that weight certainly makes me believe I can do it as well. No one can be more busier than her, and makes me not believe all my own lame excuses for not being able to do it. She is a great inspiration and will certainly have my vote in the next election.

• R Earles
      July 25, 2011 - 10:20

Congratulations to Tely Ten finisher Premier Dunderdale on her amazing accomplishment. She should be proud! Her story and that of MHA Terry French are raising the profile of health and wellness in NL. For that we should be truly thankful.

• farfaraway
      July 25, 2011 - 10:25

Congratulations Premier Dunderdale! What an example you lead to your fellow Newfoundlanders and Canadians. So proud of your accomplishments both politically and physically. Keep up the great work. Wish I could vote for you but sadly I am living in another province. Maybe you could inspire Harper to take the fitness challenge?

• Paul
      July 25, 2011 - 23:50

I am very impressed with premier Cathy Dunderdales performance in the telly 10 she should be an inspiration to all Newfoundlanders. I can't believe that people would make disparaging remarks about our premier. Its great to finally have a premier that has some dignity and is able to negotiate and keep the lines of communication with our Federal Government open. Go Cathy Go. You have lots of support from we who do not agree with the we'll rant and roar crowd..