Comments

Comments

• KQ
    August 04, 2011 - 08:30

I don't think it's very fair to be saying that Placentia has a squirts rowing crew in their races when they, in fact, do NOT. Harbour Grace and Portugal Cove are the ONLY two regattas that have a squirts race in their schedule. Please, STOP giving credit where it's not deserved! Paul Ring was not the only person pushing this - many of the coxswains from Portugal Cove were trying very hard to get the St. John's Regatta Committee to have the squirts row during Regatta Day, but they said no right off the hop. St. John's Regatta Committee honestly needs to get off their high horse thinking that everything that happens Regatta wise is their doing. As much as I love the fact that the squirts were rowing in this years Regatta, it just sucks that credit is given to Placentia when Portugal Cove should be given it.

• parent of a little girl who rowed
    July 31, 2011 - 16:35

From my understanding the st. john's regatta committe did not want this. Other rowing club not from st.john's(to my understanding) was the first to start the under 10 rowers.so the other rowing clubs(not from st. john's) should be have the credit for this not who was given the credit..My understanding as well, only 2 regatta only harbour grace and portugall cove have for a number of years have had children(boy and Girls) under 10 rowers..So please give credit where credit is due not to those who are taking credit for something they did not.

• King
    July 31, 2011 - 09:11

As a parent of one of the children, I'd like to thank the committe and espicially Paul Ring for pushing this!.... The commitment to these kids from Paul is fantastic... I hope both Pauls hard work and the kids can pay off on regatta day!! I'm certain this group of boys are in in for the long haul!!... They've had no issues hitting the pond at 7:30 in the morning and sometimes later in the day too!!!... Lets hope the weather and other races stay on track and the children get to experience the thrill of crossing the finish line

• Poppy Peter
    July 29, 2011 - 10:29

There's a renewed sense of enthusiasm and excitement surrounding this year's Regatta. The Committee must be credited for their efforts to keep the tradition going with the Squirts-aged kids and Learn-to-Row program, while allowing for minor adjustments as the time changes. Just as four-oared boat races were common in the early years of the Regatta, once again they - along with singles and doubles - will be a part of the sliding-seat portion of this year's races during the middle of the day. With all these positive changes, the spirit and tradition of the Regatta and the growth of the sport of rowing in this province could grow to reach its true potential. Getting the kids involved young will only lead to lifetime involvement with the sport, with future success for sliding-seat teams at national records as well as Regatta records to fall. And to top it all off, both the men's and women's championship races are expected to be tightly contested and highly competitive this year.

• parent of a little girl who has rowed
      July 31, 2011 - 16:26

• BR
    July 29, 2011 - 07:41

This is how you keep the Regatta going, get the kids involved early. I'll bet the crowd will be 5 deep at the finish line, or more.