Comments

Comments

• Harold St. croix
    August 11, 2011 - 20:40

ToThe Jackson Family,i like to wish you condelonces on a great sports legent and icon in Newfoundalnd and Labrador sporting circles,Fred was amazing man good writer ,editor .coach.,family man and yes i met Fred personality many times and he interviewed me many times over the years when he worked for The Telegram and covering the Tely 10 mile road race. Fred well be missed by alot of people in Newfoundland sports circles,one great memory i had of Freddy when he was doing radio play by play Qradio in 1987 at the Tely 10 mile road race was going on ,i took a cramps in my legs as it was a rainy cool day at The Tely 10 mile road race,which i won that year in 1987.He did a great play by play as the listeners in Pointe La Haye,St mary's,knew where iam from won before i told them, Sincerely, Harold St. Croix 6 Time Tely 10 Winner Fort Mcmurray, Alberta

• kitch tizzard
    August 11, 2011 - 20:34

to craig beatrice and families very sorry to hear of freddies untimely passing. fredddie was a mentor to a lot of kids in higher levels . he will be surely missed by all who knew him. may he rip.

• Randy Browne
    August 11, 2011 - 15:23

I was shocked to see Freddie's passing on the news last night. Freddie was my coach with Higher Levels in Sr. Softball but most of all he was my friend. He was a GREAT coach and a real good buddy. My thoughts go out to Beatrice and the children and Craig , my old softball buddy and team mate.

• Gord Follett
    August 11, 2011 - 11:26

To Beatrice, the girls, Craig and the rest of Freddy's family and many friends, my sincere condolences. Freddy and I shared a lot of good times together as co-workers and even more as friends. The road trips we had, especially the fishing excursions, were priceless. I'll never forget me, Freddy and "little" Eddie Stevenson walking across a bog to go fishing when Freddy got stuck - for quite a while - up past his knees. He laughed as hard as we did. You're gonna be missed, Freddy.

• Clyde Power
    August 11, 2011 - 08:02

John, your recollections encapsulate terrific memories of a golden period in our lives. I wish to thank you and Dee Murphy for the opportunity to become part of The Daily News family and for introducing me to Freddie whom I came to know very well. He was quite a character with the proverbial heart of gold. His progression in the newspaper business was astounding and testament to his dedication, perseverance and ability to ingratiate himself with the powers that be and people in general. He was such a likeable fellow, and I agree that he really belonged here in the city where, outside of his five daughters, the graduates of the Higher Levels Minor Softball Association are his legacy. It is such a shame that both are gone now, but Freddie will long be remembered for all his accomplishments in life and is already greatly missed.

• Owen Kelly
    August 11, 2011 - 07:59

I am shocked to hear of Fred's passing. Spoke with him just last April and he was so happy, looking forward to his retirement. Deepest sympathy and condolences to his family. Sincerely, Owen Kelly Ottawa