Worcester rally from two goal deficit to beat IceCaps 4-3 at Mile One Centre

Robin Short
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

St. John's IceCaps forward Marco Rosa (19) fires a shot looking for the five-hole on Worcester Sharks goaltender Tyson Sexsmith during the first period of the teams' AHL game at Mile One Centre in St. John's Friday night. The Sharks defeated the IceCaps 5-3. Also pictured are the Sharks' Nick Petrecki (29), Benn Ferriero (21), Tommy Wingels - who scored the game winner in third period - Matt Irwin (20) and the IceCaps' Shawn Wiebe (11). Photo by Gary Hebbard/The Telegram

The St. John's IceCaps coughed up a two-goal, second-period lead in a 4-3 loss to the Worcester Sharks in an American Hockey League game before another sellout crowd at Mile One Centre Friday night.

Tommy Wingels's goal at 15:53 of the third period capped off a three-goal comeback by the Sharks, who served the IceCaps their eighth loss against seven wins on Mile One ice this season.

Benn Ferriero sparked the Worcester attack with a pair of goals. Tony Lucia also scored for the visitors.

Rookie defenceman Zach Redmond led St. John's with a pair of goals, and Patrice Cormier netted the other IceCaps' marker.

The Sharks burst from the gate in the opening period of play, taking the play to the IceCaps from the opening faceoff with Ferriero getting Worcester on the scoreboard first, finishing off a nice three-way passing play with John McCarthy and Wingels at the 3:15 mark.

The Sharks didn't let up, outshooting the IceCaps 10-1 at one point in the first. But it was Peter Mannino who was equal to the task, foiling Worcester shooters.

Redmond finally provided some spark to his teammates and the big crowd of 6,287, with the first of his two at 16:47.

Redmond struck again only 49 seconds into the second period and Cormier made it 3-1 just over five minutes later, busting in on the Worcester goaltender and beating Tyson Sexsmith through the legs for his fifth on the year.

The IceCaps appeared well in control of the game, until Ferriero went to work, redirecting a Matt Pelech shot from the point past a surprised Mannino.

Pelech was in on the next Sharks' goal as well, drawing an assist on Lucia's marker. The Sharks' forward was Johnny on the spot at the side of the IceCaps' net when the puck bounded off the end boards on to the Sharks' forward's stick, who cashed in for second goal on the year.

That set the stage for Wingels and the Sharks in the third period, despite the fact St. John's outshot Worcester 11-9 in the final 20 minutes.

Final shots on goal read 32-27 in favour of the Sharks.

The teams go at it again 2 o'clock Sunday afternoon.



Organizations: Worcester Sharks, IceCaps, American Hockey League

Geographic location: Worcester, St. John's

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page