Comments

Comments

• Catherine O'Hanley van de Poll
    July 29, 2012 - 13:58

Paula, I also remember your accomplishments in the pool, and couldn't wait for you to come back to our classroom, to hear how you made out in your international swim meets. With those accomplishments and hard work, you made the Canadian Olympic Team, but also remember the disappointment when you learned that Canada was going to boycott the 1980 Moscow Olympics. As we are watching the 2012 Olympics, I brag how I know an Olympian...her name is Paula Kelly...Way to go, Paula. We were so proud of you.

• nancy day
    June 04, 2012 - 09:31

Paula, I remember that year you made the Olympics as you were my idol back then when I swam. I can still see you swimming the Breaststroke , and can still remember you winning the gold and qualifying for the Olympics. Sad that you could not compete and still speak of you often , as I Coach a swim team (I have my own Club now in Sault Ste Marie ,Ont) and I still speak of you to my swimmers, My neice qualified for the Olympics 4 years ago, but suffered an injury and could not compete, tough for sure. You were and still are my Idol when it comes to swimming, Awesome article !!! Nancy Day (Sweetland)

• Gerard Hagerty
    April 14, 2012 - 06:37

You're still a champion Paula! You were such a model and hero to us as we saw you having the opportunity of a lifetime to be a part of the biggest stage in the world! You would have kicked butt! Warmest wishes to you!

• mom
    April 09, 2012 - 17:44

To me the Olympics has always been about bringing countries together as a gesture to overcome our many differences. I am always disappointed when there is a boycott for political reasons. I commend you on your hard work and strength Paula. It is apparent from your own words that you have the spirit of a true Olympian.

• Ron Tizzard
    April 09, 2012 - 07:30

Paula, I was never an athlete, but I, and uncountable numbers of other people through time, and others in time to come will have similar experiences while they may not be 'Olympic related'....just inexplicable 'injustices'. And, what do you do about them? We feel your pain, and we survived...I think we survived all the stronger as people, personalities...but without the notariety...somehow, through time we won 'our own personal medals' because we survived the throes of inexplicable curves thrown our ways...explanations wouldn't reduce the pain then or even today...as you know Paula. What's around the corner for us? will you look? What kind of life would that be? No. we are the stronger for our experiences; experiencing special appreciations for some facts of life that others will never know. I think I'm all the better for it Paula,,,and I think you are...already. Best wishes. Remember, there are all kinds of medals in life.....most never worn around the neck! You take care, and take on life...my sense is you are a Gold medalist already, in any event.

• Ivan Tucker
    April 07, 2012 - 13:16

i was never in contention,to be an Olympic competitor,but i did have a cousin England,who did track & field,& was considered to be one the top five,in her designated fields.She was sixteen.She has often told me of how much,she & others put into their training.Her coaches were more devastated,for those athletes,than for the time they worked with them. My cousin,continued to train for the 1984 Olympic games,but having qualified again,her luck was to tear a muscle in her hip a month before the .She & the rest of the Olympic team from 1980 received memorabilia,some years ago. There was also another girl,whose parents were from Bell Island,whose daughter,was a gymnast,& had also made the gymnastic team,& didn't get to compete.She was a medal hope for Canada that year.Sadly she passed from cancer,at an early age,in Cambridge,On. That boycott,also devastated those of us who loved to watch such wonderful amateurs compete,giving there all,win or lose.Being a Newfoundlander,our pride,was so staggering to have one of our own represent our province,& i remember that year,& reading of your,being picked for the Olympic team.The fact that you made the Olympic team,from all those to pick from,is such an awesome feat in itself.Always take pride,in that accomplishment alone. I was living in the Goulds back then,but moved to Ontario eight years ago.I am writing this to you,because,i do remember you,& that stupidity,carried out by,the Americans,& our own idiot government at the time.Idiot governments continue,but people like yourself,give people like myself,to admonish,our leaders,but look up to those of you,who gave so much of yourselves,to give us pride,in our province,& ourselves. Lastly,the next time i'm in Nl.,i would love the chance to meet you in person.You,your family take care & God Bless.