Kaetlyn Osmond wins Canadian figure skating title

The Canadian Press

Kaetlyn Osmond of Marystown, NL, is the Canadian senior women's figure skating champion for 2013.

MISSISSAUGA, Ont. — Kaetlyn Osmond, a 17-year-old from Marystown, N.L., claimed her first Canadian title on Saturday, easily winning the women’s singles with 201.34 points.

“It felt so great, all I can remember is halfway through my program I was like, ’OK, I’ve done so good so far let’s just keep going with it,”’ Osmond said. “And after my program I just took the deepest sigh of relief.”

Gabrielle Daleman of Newmarket, Ont., who just turned 15 last week, won the silver with 163.90, while 16-year-old Alaine Chartrand of Prescott, Ont., finished third.

Osmond could finally give Canadians a women’s skater to cheer for on the international stage. Canada has been weak in the event since Joannie Rochette’s bronze-medal performance at the 2010 Olympics.

Osmond fell on a double Axel but otherwise skated a clean program to “Carmen.”

She joked about how she was the oldest on the podium, and admitted to feeling the unfamiliar weight of expectations.

“I felt a little bit of pressure going in today, I was a little more nervous than usual, but when I got on the ice, I just felt like any other competition, I felt great,” Osmond said.

Geographic location: MISSISSAUGA, Marytown, Newmarket Prescott Canada

Comments

Comments

• Paul Lambe
    February 04, 2013 - 18:40

Kaetlyn was amazing, and Kaetlyn and all the family really appreciate all the well wishes. We just wish she could be eligible for NL goverment funding to help with her training costs. But because she trains and competes in Alberta, her parents have to work there to pay for it, she is not eligible for NL programs. Maybe I can ask people to contact their MHA to ask how they can find away to help fund her. This is the greatest opportunity to inspire our children that I can remember. Not that children are the only ones being inspired. Regards, Paul

• Wanda
    January 21, 2013 - 19:35

You were absolutely fantastic. You've got a wonderful future ahead of you, young lady! Stay forever as sweet as you are now.

• Norman
    January 21, 2013 - 12:57

I watched you skate and you were excellent. Loved your smile and the energy that you projected. You have a level of confidence that will carry you far.

• Darrell
    January 21, 2013 - 11:46

Well done Kaetlyn. We should all be proud of your accomplishments.

• Leah
    January 21, 2013 - 09:04

This young lady was so relaxed and looked like she was really enjoying herself, not focusing on the pressure of competition. She has some wonderful awesome years ahead of her. Congratulations!

• Steve
    January 21, 2013 - 07:43

Trust the mainland reporter to say she's from "Marytown" Newfoundland.

• Pam Frampton
      January 21, 2013 - 08:02

Thanks for pointing out the typo. We've corrected it online.

• RJ
    January 21, 2013 - 02:32

A back flip would have been nice to see in her program:)

• ed sullivan
    January 20, 2013 - 23:32

a short video might be agood idea

• Dee
    January 20, 2013 - 21:41

congrats to this little girl,you are a star I hope you have many more moments to shine.You deserve it lil angel of Marystown.

• Gerry
    January 20, 2013 - 20:53

Well down!! :)

• Virginia Waters
    January 20, 2013 - 14:01

This young lady obviously has a very bright future in international sport. We look forward to seeing her on the podium in the next Olympics. Very well spoken and composed. Marystown and the province should be proud.