Comments

Comments

• dan
    February 01, 2013 - 12:37

Congrats to all of the winners and inductees, I have known most of them over the years all good people. I guess there will always be sours grapes when it comes to volunteers in Mount Pearl but at least some people are recognized for their dedication and at least they are not trying to get something for nothing like some people are!

• hockey fan
    January 29, 2013 - 08:56

Garrett you are miss informed and probably havent been around hockey very long. Scott Gordon has coached a lot of the players in the NL SENIOR HOCKEY CIRCUIT, A number of players playing in the Q and Junior A on various provincial teams, or the Canada Games. He also has just coached in the WORLD U17 and was a guest coach with Hockey Canadas Junior Team camp when they were in St. John's . He coached my buddies in junior won 2 championships, and has coached High school and Junior hockey for 20 years or more . He is giving back to Minor Hockey in MP and at the Provincial level. can't see how you can dish the guy, who has time for all players and former players A LEADER.

• john
    January 28, 2013 - 15:04

Sorry folks, garett is right. Gordon is concerned about one thiing, scott gordon...that's it. Our senior high team would be much better off without gordon.

• Hockey Fan
      January 29, 2013 - 16:08

John, I guess you are right, Scotty goes to the rink to coach his Atom team, his High School team and then the junior team for hours a week to help these kids get better and learn the game , without any pay , sometimes the odd thank you and he is only in it for himself .....""rational" comment. I was cut from my High School team 2 times but I kept at it. I guess you are a cut player or better than that a parent who watches hockey from your armchair and know everything. ...so making a comment like the one you gave I have to ask whats in it for you? You are to be pityed .

• Wadden's
    January 28, 2013 - 12:24

@ Political Watcher, to answer your question, he won't volunteer. Its $$ or nothing. He won't even play for the Sr team, demanded a trade this year and played for the ceebees. But with Jim Hare pushing buttons with that team, its no wonder. You are bang on with Cranford. Scott is well deserved, not sure why they didn't give him a shot.

• Gordon's Snack Bar
      January 28, 2013 - 15:01

I guess that was the reason why Harry Bartlett wasn't there to present Terry with award. Going to be interesting if the players from the team that folded last year have to go back and play for Brian Cranford. Maybe two out of 25 will.

• Political Watcher
    January 26, 2013 - 15:10

Garrett, winning doesn't mean that Scott Gordon is a bad coach, he is a very good coach and one who puts in a great deal of time and not becuse he has his own child involved like many others coaches. He is always there for the kids and they love and respect him for it. Now, if you look to Mr. Cranford then I would say you have a point; after the stunt he pulled last year and then to hire a lawyer to try and justify what he did the selection committee must be short on candidates. P.S. Considering the Mr. Ryan has had such a good hockey career and that he usually volnteers his time when needed, can you please explain to me why the Mount Pearl Minor Hockey system doesn't use his skills and experience?

• garrett
    January 26, 2013 - 11:23

Nice list. Only poor choice is Scott Gordon for coach of the year. None of his teams listed won or is winning anything. Must be a slow year for coaches.

• kidding me
      January 26, 2013 - 18:07

Obviously some jealousy in your comments. Winning is not everything and from what I hear his teams are competitive. For a man to commit so much time and effort to hundreds of kids in his community, without having a child involved, is a testament to this gentleman. He has done this for years and many kids have benefited from his commitment. We need more Scott Gordons!! I betcha all you do is sit back and criticize others or find something to complain about. I could be wrong but I doubt it as 90% of the people who make similar comments are 'armchair' athletes. Get a life of or volunteer some of your time as it seems like you have too much time on your hands..

• hockeymom
      January 28, 2013 - 08:46

Obviously you have an axe to grind - can't imagine why you have an issue with Scott Gordon - if you can't get along with Scott then you can't get along with anyone! (Perhaps you had a child that never made one of his teams?) Winning has very little to do with being a good coach. For example I could probably coach Team Canada to a medal in the Olympics....does that mean I'm a good coach?? My son played hockey for 14 years, as well as other sports. He had both good (and very well known coaches) and bad coaches, but undoubtedly he would tell you that the best one he ever had was Scott Gordon! Very much deserved - Congrats Scott!