Comments

Comments

• Hockey Fan
    February 24, 2013 - 23:05

Working as an Audiologist and attending the senior hockey games I understand why people complain about the issue of Air Horns. No one has the right to physically harm someone whether it is in an arena or anywhere for that matter. A few years ago a lady complained of this issue at a local arena and the media were all over her to do interviews in relation to this topic and she and her family were personally attacked on the social media. Even some town employees and hockey executive went on the airwaves trying to defend the use of these devices in the arena, but in the end it is ones health and well being that should come first. I applaud the Clarenville stadium for adopting these rules and eventually you will see that it will be implemented in other venues as well. Everyone has the right to enjoy the game and a lot of these people who use these devices are ignorant to the damage that it can cause someone including themselves. I sure hope those users don't try to claim their hearing loss is from their workplace as protection is in place.

• Blow the horn
    February 22, 2013 - 09:42

For people from the Hr. Grace are to come on here and bash Phil Hurley is terrible. The man has been bleding red, white and blue for as long as I can remember going to the Cee Bees games. Phil has had a close relationship with the organization for a long time and can often be found lobbying for more fans to come out to the rink. Phil's horn is usually places on the vent above everyone's head and is never blown in people's ears as some of the hand held devices have been used to do. For anyone who has ever been to an NHL game, the horns that go off after a home team goal in some rinks literally make the floor vibrate. Its a part of the game, a part of the whole experience and the game within the game. As for the foul language, I am sure Phil does not walk away from the rink with a chip on his shoulder feeling high and mighty because he dropped a few F bombs on the reffs. The reality of it is, he is an emotional guy, and sometimes emotions get the best of people. If the CBN area had more people with emotions and pride such as Phil demonstrates, maybe this wouldn't be the last year for the Cee Bees in the provincial league. Cursin is not something I support but it not fair to tear strips off a true fan and great person for such doing so. We all have out weaknesses and we all do/say things we maybe sometimes shouldn't. Take some time and think before you take personal digs at people. Ask yourself what people would say about you if they had to say something negative. Lets keep it positive on here people! Swearing is a part of the game, not a highlight, but part of the game none the less. Reffs swear at players, coaches and players swear at reffs, players swear after missed opportunitied. If you've been around the game you would know this. Phil, keep your head (and your horn) up!

• Mickey
      February 22, 2013 - 10:50

I would ask you to come sit under the famous horn(bring ear protection) for a game and listen to the foul language and the constant barrage of personal slurs and insults directed at the opposing teams, referees and linesmen and also our local team players and their officials if things are not going good for the Cee Bees. There is no arguing that loud and boisterous noise is good for our team and fans alike however one has to take exception to almost all of what this man is saying and more importantly the directed personal attacks on individuals. Get rid of the horn and get rid of him if the continues his antics. He does more to demoralize the team and fans that he does to lift them.

• BAYMAN
    February 21, 2013 - 20:06

,,,,,,,fans at ceebees games this year have been very quiet, maybe because of there record or maybe because theres no hitting and rough stuff in this league, whatever the reason if it wasn't for phil it would be totally dead, he puts a bit of life into the game, keep blowing 'er phil, the players love it, the team is lucky to have such a dedicated fan who lugs that heavy horn to every game ......and even though he razzes the ref and players on the other team, I have never heard him use vulgarity ......maybe most of the complainers are fans of the other teams who want to take away the ceebees home ice advantage

• Phil Hurley
    February 21, 2013 - 07:18

All I can say is ha ha ha . well I am one of the People who has a horn at the Stadium in Hr Grace the players love it they want it , they have asked me over the years to keep bringing it , I don't blow it in anyone's ears when people come up where I am to I tell them that this is where the horn is, and they have a choice to stay there or go somewhere else in the arena , and when I leave the rail and the Ceebees come out there is a older man who come down the rail to blow the Horn for the ceebees he is 70 years old or more , for those of you who find this a problem well its like this you can move ....I been doing this for the team ......and a few years back that's how I got it was from a player .......... what about the sound system that is up on bust all the time . lol its a stadium for god sake not a church , we went through this a few years ago and the Stadium had no problem if it was done right ....... just go and cheer your team and grow up , and come over and have a chat I even may let you blow my Horn ............. lol

• D. Moores
    February 21, 2013 - 05:59

Phil, some people purchase seats as they want to sit in certain areas of the stadium. Why don't you move, all the way down the corridor, and out through the door. The vulgarity that leaves your mouth during a Sr. hockey game is attrocious. For you a grown man, to tell people to grow up tells a lot about your character. You are a well known problem at these games and most fans laugh at the enjoyment you achieve by blowing your horn. I've spoken to some of the players, and they too laugh at your childish antics. You say you are doing it for the team? Bull, this is for nobody other than yourself. It's amazing what a horn and some vulgar language does for an ego. Outside of that rink, without your horn, you just blend in to the crowd, inside you feel this is a chance to be someone. It will not be tolerated. You can be rest assured that the man in charge on Bannerman St. has his eye on you.

• Phil Hurley
      February 21, 2013 - 18:26

Well it like This I am not the only one at SW Moores who has an air Horn and I along with others give it to the refs on times and when it comes to vulgarity you dont know who you are talking about , because there is other people on the rail who say allot more than me lol I guess when it comes to some people just cant stand the Heat ................. I guess its hard when you gotta leave the stadium and go home .................. but the spot I have I was given by the management of SW Moores I will blow the Horn until the Team dont want it anymore ........ I can leave that home thats for sure lol I will get on the refs like 100s of other fans but I will not use vulgarity something might slip out but I guess when a ref gets booed lol its not good lol I will have the Horn and there will be no vulgarity not from me , I can't speak for anyone elase.............. Go Ceebees Go ....... , I people should use there real name on sites like this not sit back with false names and talk about people ................... enjoy the Games People and no vulgarity and the man in charge on Bannerman St can come have a Chat ...........

• Phil Hurley
    February 20, 2013 - 11:25

• Western Bay Warrior
    February 20, 2013 - 09:23

Excellent Todd, this weeks out those adults acting like youngsters. If you seen them in public they are quitier than church mice. I've seen many a game at the rink in harbour grace and I hope they do the same. There's one guy there that ruins the atmosphere for the rest of the fans. Get on board SW Moores and you may get a few fans back.

• Boyd Hunt
    February 20, 2013 - 06:22

Agree with all the comments about the SW Moores, that guy ruins it for the fans. I hope they bans him out here. Nobody will be upset. Kudos to Clarenville, what a great idea. Leave the rooting for the fans, not the horns. Good old Fashioned cheering.

• Starr
    February 20, 2013 - 04:52

Brad - why don't you give the library a try? You might actually like it But you might learn something.

• starr
    February 20, 2013 - 04:50

Good move you are to be commended. these noise horns turn grown adults into snivelling children who think they have found the perfect excuse to behave a juvenile, not to mention the danger that goes with it with all these decibles combined at once, plus the whistling, shouting and so on.

• PHIL C.
    February 19, 2013 - 19:35

A LITTLE ON LIGHTER SIDE OF IT ALL....GO HERD GO.

• Brad
    February 19, 2013 - 12:21

What were you people expecting to go to? A library? A morgue? It's a hockey game for crying out loud. If you don't like it, suck it up or stay away!

• It's Senior Hockey NOT the Stanley Cup
      February 19, 2013 - 14:45

it's a senior hockey. A bunch of guys who might have an honourable mention www.hockeydb.com in the late 90's or early 00's NOT the Stanley Cup playoffs. Fans don't need idiots deafening each other over a Senior Hockey game.

• Tongue in cheek
      February 19, 2013 - 15:09

We have Brad, thats why the CeeBees players aren't getting paid and why they won't have a team next year. That's why Mile One sells out every game, there aren't any 'Look at me, I have a horn' fans. Clarenville fans will still go, but hr. grace fans have stayed away, many due to the guy others have referred to on here. Eveyone knows who he is, if you don't he'll tell you.

• Judy Moores
    February 19, 2013 - 10:38

I hope the SW Moores in Harbour Grace does the same. That man that blows that stupid horn is the most vulgar fan in the league. Just someone wanting their 5 minutes of fame, has turned many people from the area away from going.

• Max
    February 19, 2013 - 08:06

An excellent , well thought out decision. Those fans inconsiderate enough to continue using these noise makers despite formal request not to do so, rightly deserve to be controlled, and expulsion from the game would appear to be an appropriate measure. No one deserves to be deafened by having these things discharged directly at them, and I'm sure this decision will make the game more enjoyable for most.

• Brad
    February 19, 2013 - 07:13

Such a shame because hockey games use to be a good time, now it's nothing more than a library at most arenas. If you don't like the air horns, suck it up and stay home!

• Rhonda Slade
    February 19, 2013 - 06:43

Great job Todd. For those that don't know, the Sr's that attend games or children do not appreciate some attention seeker blowing horns in your ears. I hope to god they tells the same guy at the CeeBees games where to put his horn too. Worst thing is, he'll probably tell you where to go if you do. Needs his mouth washed out with soap. It's similar to the guy at the party who wants everyone to look at him and talks over everyone. Let the fans cheer.