Ryan back in the Herder fight, in a different way

Kenn Oliver

Rib injury has kept CeeBees forward out of provincial final, but he’s still contributing to the cause

The Conception Bay North CeeBee Stars’ Terry Ryan watches through the glass as his teammates play the Clarenville Caribous in Game 1 of the Telegram Herder Memorial Trophy Championship Series Saturday night in Clarenville. This is Ryan’s first Herder final since 2004, but the scrappy winger is unable to play due to a broken ribs and a punctured lung suffered in the semifinals. — Photo by Kenn Oliver/The Telegram

A pair of broken ribs and a punctured lung might be keeping Terry Ryan out of this year’s Telegram Herder Memorial Trophy Championship Series, but the veteran has a better appreciation for a Herder title than he did in 2004, the only other year he found himself in a provincial senior hockey championship final as a member of the Corner Brook Royals.

“No disrespect to Corner Brook (Royals), but it certainly didn’t mean as much to me then,” says Ryan who was 40-pounds overweight at the time, not doing any off-ice training and, by his own admission, not taking hockey seriously a year after finishing a professional career that began with him being a first-round draft pick of Montreal Canadiens.

“I wanted to win the Herder, but I was a little upset, tripping over my bottom lip because I couldn’t go back and play pro hockey,” admits Ryan, who played eight games with Montreal, but spent most of his time in the American Hockey League.

In 2004, the Royals, whose roster included two other former pros —  Todd Gillingham and Darren Colbourne — lost to the Southern Shore Breakers in a six-game series Ryan contends Corner Brook “could have won.”

Now, Ryan is back in the Herder fight — albeit in a different role — with the Conception Bay North Eastlink CeeBee Stars, who lead 2-0 in the best-of-seven series that continues at S.W. Moores Memorial Stadium in Harbour Grace this weekend.

“As the years went by, I said to myself, “I don’t know if I’ll get back,’” he says, looking back at the  eight seasons between that 2004-05 campaign and this one.

They  included a year the with the Bentley, Alta., Generals and an appearance in the Allan Cup final, two more with the Royals and five with the Mount Pearl Blades, including the last two seasons.

“I’m from Mount Pearl,” says Ryan. “I love the people involved right down to rink attendant Phonse Fowler, but for whatever reason it was miserable to play senior hockey there the last couple of seasons because we were not getting fans and we were losing a lot of games.”

With the CeeBees, Ryan says win or lose, he’s given himself another chance.

And even if he doesn’t see a minute of ice time in the series and the CeeBees win the Herder, he’ll consider himself “as worthy of it as anybody else.”

“I just want to be part of a win,” says Ryan, who jokes that in most of the big championships he’s competed for or won— the Allan Cup with Bentley, a 2003 world ball hockey title, and a St. John’s senior baseball crown with Mount Pearl in 2011 — he’s “been absent on the scoresheet.”

During the series opening games last weekend in Clarenville, Ryan stood along the glass near the far end of the rink recording hits and scoring opportunities. The always-affable Ryan also has a well-established reputation for being his teammates’ biggest cheerleader on and off the ice.

“I know how to get the guys going in the room,” he admits. “Things like that  ... are very important.”

If the series requires a Games 6 and 7 in Clarenville, Ryan isn’t ruling out a return to the C.B.N. lineup. But having suffered a punctured and collapsed lung along with his rib injury, the father of two is understandably cautious.

“I was on my way to the hospital and couldn’t breathe,” Ryan recounts of the Game 4 semifinal hit from the Grand Falls-Windsor Cataracts’ Greg Hoffe as he left the ice on a line change. “So there’s bigger things and I realize that if I don’t get in to the Herder it won’t be the worst thing.

Still, Ryan says his desire to get back in the game when injured can be “blinding.”

“I have a lot character as a player and I’m going to give it every shot.

“I’ll be part of it even if I don’t put my gear on, but I’m going to try skating this week and see where I’m at.”

The series resumes with Game 3 Friday at 8 p.m., followed by Game 4 Saturday at 7:30 p.m.. A Game 5, if necessary, would go Sunday at 2 p.m.

This is a corrected version

koliver@thetelegram.com

Twitter@telykenn

Organizations: Trophy Championship Series, Montreal Canadiens, American Hockey League.In 2004 Conception Bay North Eastlink CeeBee Stars

Geographic location: Corner Brook, Mount Pearl, Montreal S.W. Moores Memorial Stadium Harbour Grace Clarenville Grand Falls

Comments

Comments

• graham
    March 16, 2013 - 15:42

i saw the game last night in hr.grace.it was a great game no matter who your favorite teem is.ryans shifts were limited but each time he skated by where i was sitting you could see that want to win and contribute look in his eyes.i hope he plays again tonight because i really feel he gives his team mates a great boost.lets win the herder tonight guys.

• joe
    March 14, 2013 - 20:58

Great responses Terry, those who have met you know you are genuine! Keep up the great work and heal soon. Wish you could be on the ice to hoist that Herder!

• Gary Hennessey
      March 15, 2013 - 17:17

Terry, very sad to see that you were injured. I'm from your dad's hometown and a big Cats fan of course, but I have always respected your style of play and your leadership qualities. I'd love to see you in a Cat's jersey some day, coming "back home". I'm cheering for the Cee Bees and if you are lucky enough to win the Herder this year (which I think you will), and you are still injured, pull a Scotty Bowman and get on your skates and pull on your jersey and skate around the ice with the Herder. Never mind those "anonymous " comments trying to belittle your pro career. As an old Rec hockey player here, I can tell you that most Newfoundlanders are very proud of you for your NHL career. Hey, if you only played one game there, that's one more than your critics. Can't wait to buy your book when it comes out. Good luck. Gary Hennessey. GFW

• Getoverit
    March 13, 2013 - 20:38

Wow, some people just cant leave the guy alone. He is out with a serious injury and people still have to find time to blast him on stuff. if he didnt cheer on the team and help he would be a cry baby because he cant play, so now he gets ragged on because of something else from months ago!!?? I am pretty sure the pearl only got a team a few years back because he helped lure a bunch of them to play! For free i might add!!! At least 1 year... Guess its his fault they had no fans all 5 years? I dont care what music he likes and if he wants to tell draft stories he earned that right, matter of fact i was told the stories are pretty good for the most part. I am pretty sure his high draft pick along with slaney etc helped open the eyes of many scouts and helped paved the way for a lot of our Newfoundland Boys and Girls since.

• SDobbin
    March 13, 2013 - 20:22

If i can say whats on my mine about what you people have writen, i would have to go into hiding. But i think all of you are townies because of the way you talk about a person. I guess by now you know that i am a baymen and proud of it, and been a CeeBees fan for a long time . I seen alot of good players come and go from the team over the years, some getting to old and others going with another team. I don't know what you people see when T.Ryan is on the ice , but i see a man give it all, winning or loseing. the fans here love him because of what he brings to the game on and off the ice. So like me mudder would say, if ya got nuttin good to say, don't say nuttin at all. And Terry, you are part baymen now, so that gives ya the right to tell them townies where to go because they don't have the balls to say anything to your fase. When you raise the Herder over your head in Hr.Grace this weekend, be proud because you did your part and the CeeBees fans and players will let ya know.

• KD
      March 14, 2013 - 10:28

Awfully "bayman" of you to blanket a couple of stupid people with being "townies" because of what they have said. They could very well be your neighbours. Grow up.

• Paul
    March 13, 2013 - 18:19

I'm willing to bet all Ceebee fans and players alike hope that Terry Ryan remains a Ceebee next year as well! What he has done on and off the ice in Hr.Grace this year is surely one of the main reasons the Ceebees have made it this far. He is a character play who will fight, win faceoffs, hit, score, pass, block shots and whatever else it takes to win. The old saying goes, the proof is in the pudding and NewfieHockeyChick based on what we've seen on and off the ice, Terry Ryan is a favorite among both the fans and his teammates! Bring your skates this weekend Terry and take the Herder for a lap!

• Holfer
    March 13, 2013 - 16:02

I am with Darren, Marty and NewfieHockeyChick, Terry this is not 1995 and you did not make the NHL as much as you think you did you never. so stop trying to get yourself in the Newfoundland Media every chance you get.

• newfiehockeychick
    March 13, 2013 - 11:52

Give it a rest Kenny. Enough is enough, time to print some facts. Those that know him, know what type of character he is. He whined at the season start that Harry and the blades were holding him ransom when reality hit and not one team wanted him. He wanted out because Harry owed him a flight from seasons past. He was lucky the blades folded and the Stars took a chance on him. No team would even offer a draft pick for his services at the first two drafts. Ask his teammates, They'll tell you he'll do what it takes to win, however is nothing more than a distraction in the dressing room with his 80's tunes and stories about the '95 draft. Some think he'll make a good coach someday, there's a reason he's not behind a bench currently. He only found out what a stick lie was two years ago, an honest effort he'll give you, but Kenny he's fooled you, but not the rest of the players and fans associated to the game. Do a story on a player with some local ties, a guy who bled for the ceebees since he was in novice. They have lots of these guys, yet you write about a guy from Mt. pearl who's injured?

• Terry Ryan
      March 13, 2013 - 14:09

First off Kenny, thanks for the kind words. Second, if you are gonna write in, get your facts straight. For that matter, call me, email me, text me, facebook, Twitter... whatever... A) I played hard for the Blades, through injuries and everything else, and never complained. You must be pretty close to the top to know a lot of that stuff you just mentioned, NewfieHockeyChick, except do me a favor and get your facts straight. It seems you are bitter for some reason, because I'm fine with my dressing room antics and my teammates have always seemed pretty cool with them too, in fact I've won championships using the same formulas so it works at least some of the time. You need a group to buy into something and that's what we are trying to do in C.B.N. Unfortunately it didn't happen in MP, we didn't have the parts. We tried, shit happens. I love my team now and given my situation and yours, I think my take may be more accurate in saying they love me back since I see them every day and we are working toward a common goal. I just wanna help any way I can, I'll fill water bottles if I have to. B) Your call for a local guy to be featured in the paper, not a MP guy... you are missing the point. WE ARE ALL CeeBees. We're all local. We are family whether we win the Herder or not. Last week there was a great piece Kenny Oliver did on Goat Greeley and Danny Sparkes, two C.B.N. guys who grew up in the area and who deserve some spotlight after digging in the trenches year after year. The week before that, Ray Dalton was featured. You see, I read the paper everyday so I am informed when it comes to discussions like this — you must not. C) I think Ken Oliver is doin' a great job. As of a few years ago senior hockey was relegated to rumors on the street and the odd stats page on the weekend. Now we have featured articles on all teams and situations and the island has a much better idea of the specifics of the league than they've ever been in recent history. Once in awhile I feel I gotta reply to some of this stuff. Here we are in he Herder final after facing much adversity and both teams played great hockey last weekend — game one was one of the best games I've seen on any level in years — and you're focused on complaining about an article concerning a guy who isn't even playing, just chippin' in where he can. You see, that's exactly why have had success so far. It's a team game and everyone has to contribute somehow. Winning the Herder would be great but, if not, I'm ultra proud of my team anyway. I've seen a lot of character this year and I've made some great friends in and around the town. Sounds like you are either management or close to that in MP. My suggestion is that you worry about your own team and maybe take notes. Atfer all, we nearly folded, too. I am very proud to be a CeeBee. Win or lose. It's been a fun year.

• darren
    March 13, 2013 - 09:35

Terry, you were a wonderful prospect back in the day. Its over now. Be like your Dad and get a good education and a good job to support your family. Good luck.

• Ropedog
      March 13, 2013 - 11:54

What Darren said.

• The poopdog
      March 13, 2013 - 14:49

Big harsh words from a chick. Go get the herder T-Bird. I'll be right there with you.

• Terry Ryan
      March 13, 2013 - 15:01

Hahah its over? Well, close, but I'm not gonna quit the team in the middle of the Herder Finals! Thats rich. I just graduated from MUN by the way in December and have a book coming out soon. Thanks for the tips though and the good luck. I just find it funny taking advice from all these people who really don't have their facts straight. Cheers

• Marty
    March 13, 2013 - 07:58

Reading this article, it appears that Ryan is still "tripping over his bottom lip". Time for a reality check Terry, the team seems to be doing just fine without you. Wishing you all the best with the recovery from your injuries, now if you could only repair that ego..

• Terry Ryan
      March 13, 2013 - 15:04

Thanks for the wishes on speedy recovery. The tripping over the bottom lip was self deprecating. I'm saying I was being a pouter and had to change my perspective to be successful as a hockey player and person. It helped me grow as an individual. I have no idea how that article in any way was meant to be egotistical, in fact, the exact opposite. I'm not even playing this series, the boys are putting on a show and I'm loving it. I'm happy to just be there. Anyone who was with us all year is a huge part of this run. It was a trying year at times to say the least!!

• DB
    March 13, 2013 - 07:36

Husband of two........hahaha One is plenty.

• Derek
    March 13, 2013 - 06:43

Does anyone proof-read these stories? 'Husband of two' ...'a pair broken ribs'...there mismatched/missing quotes everywhere...if I tried to pass this in to a junior high teacher I suspect I'd get a failing grade. Apart from the grammar issues, the story is disjointed. There's a reference to Ryan being in a different role, but never clarifies what that role is. I assume the author means that Ryan is sitting on the sidelines with injuries as opposed to playing?