Comments

Comments

• John Kelly
    April 04, 2013 - 23:22

Please do not forget Wes Trainor from PEI. And thanks to all the great players from NS PEI Cape Breton that made senior hockey in Newfoundland so great in the 50's and 60's. Not only were they good players people but they sure taught us kids at the time.

• Darrin Head
    April 04, 2013 - 16:05

Great article from the Telegram! These fine men (and more like them) arrived in Buchans to play a game and ended up leaving a legacy that transcended the sport. They became part of the backbone of a community that is special because of the people who call it home. Uncle Red, Mr. Walker, Mr. Verbiski, Mr. Finlayson, Mr Scott, Uncle Bob, Mr. St.George and all the rest...We are honored to call you Buchaneers.

• Morton Verbiski
    April 03, 2013 - 09:29

I had the opportunity and privilege to play with Hugh Wadden from 1962 to 1968 and without question, Hugh was a great player, coach and teammate. But more importantly, the Hugh Wadden that I got to know while I lived in Buchans for 23 years was a kind and gentle person and one that you would want to have as your friend. It was nice that this article highlighted Hugh Wadden. He deserves such recognition. Good memories should last forever and the Newfoundland Senior hockey should never be forgotten. Sincerely, Morton Verbiski

• Kevin Quinlan
      April 03, 2013 - 18:00

Just wanted to add Joey Andrea, many other Capers who came to my hometown, Buchans, to play, and the Gallant 'Islander' boys from another Island, PEI. Not Capers, but I have run into Lyle Carter (who was goaltender in Buchans and Gander in my day) here in Truro, a guy who went on to professional league accomplishments. And I see Clobie Collins (ANDCOs) brother, Francis, on a regular basis. Then there's Frank 'Danky' Dorrington from New Glasgow (Corner Brook Royals), and Sean MacGuinnes (spelling) Grand Falls ANDCOs, and the list goes on. Yes, they were the days of 6 NHL teams and Nova Scotia guys who would have been in the NHL of today!

• John
    April 01, 2013 - 20:30

Paul, I wrote this story and I have to say truer words were never spoken. We may never see the likes of Hughie again.

• Paul McCann
    March 30, 2013 - 22:18

Over the last 12 years or so I have had the pleasure of meeting Hughie Wadden on a number of occasions. I can honestly say that I've never met a more down to earth individual who truly loves our province as much as most native Newfoundlanders. He's a true gentleman in every sense of the word and has been a great ambassador for NL senior hockey.

• darren
    March 30, 2013 - 16:24

Clarence...so true. I doubt today's players will be remembered like the boys from the good old days.

• clarence compton
    March 30, 2013 - 13:27

still good to hear names of hockey players from nshl of years ago