Wins one, loses one, both in extra ends

Robin
Robin Short

Gushue fighting to find his form

So if we do dare to compare, here's the outcome; there is no comparison.

Of course, we're basing that result on the new-look Team Gushue's game here at the 2008 edition of the Tim Hortons Brier.

Newfoundland and Labrador skip Brad Gushue inspects two rocks in the 11th end during action against Nova Scotia at the Canadian Mens Curling championship in Winnipeg Tuesday. Photo by The Canadian Press

Winnipeg - All but two from the team has moved on and it's been, after all, two years since Brad Gushue et al won Olympic gold. Still, it's difficult not to try and equate Team Gushue today to the group which enjoyed a magical ride through Halifax and Italy.

So if we do dare to compare, here's the outcome; there is no comparison.

Tuesday morning, Newfoundland dropped a 6-5 extra-end decision to Nova Scotia to fall to 3-3.

In the evening draw Tuesday night, Gushue rebounded to beat B.C.'s Bob Ursel in a 7-6 nail-biter that went down to the last shot in an extra end.

The loss to Brian Rafuse and his Bridgewater team was particularly shocking, especially considering the Bluenosers were pounded 13-2 by Quebec and 13-3 by P.E.I. in earlier draws.

In keeping with a disturbing trend since the first rock was tossed here at the MTS Centre last Saturday, it was nothing short of a grind for Gushue and his mates - Mark Nichols, Chris Schille and Dave Noftall.

"I wouldn't say every end, but I would definitely say we've been the ones doing the chasing the larger percentage of ends this week," Gushue said following the Nova Scotia tilt.

"Again, it was typical of all week - not placing rocks in good position, not really getting anything set up and when we did, Brian made a good shot. The ice is not an excuse. The rocks are no excuse. They're fine.

"None of us are playing up to expectations right now. There's no reason to miss shots by 12 feet. It's just pure execution, maybe not focusing. I don't know what it is."

Gushue was saying earlier this week four losses may still get a team a playoff spot - at best - here in Winnipeg, or - at worst - a tie-breaker. Given the way things are shaking down on the leaderboard, three losses may be the most any team can afford.

And with Newfoundland's dates today with Alberta, unbeaten in seven games, and 5-2 Manitoba, Gushue may need to pull a rabbit from the hat, the same one he wore in Halifax at the '05 Olympic Trials where he zoomed through the field at 8-1.

But that was a long time ago. Russ Howard and Jamie Korab aren't around anymore, replaced by Schille and Noftall. But most curling teams tinker with their lineups. Martin, in fact, gutted his team, replaced with John Morris, Marc Kennedy and Ben Hebert.

But unlike the Gushue four, Martin's squad looks almost unbeatable here.

Granted, Gushue arrived in Winnipeg eighth on the World Curling Tour's Canadian Team Ranking System, coming off a fine showing at the Strauss Canada Cup two weeks ago. It was in Kamloops, B.C. Gushue reached the semifinal before losing out to - you guessed it - Kevin Martin.

Entering Tuesday night's pivotal matchup with Kerry Burtnyk - the hometown darling for more than one reason; he's a cancer survivor - the Alberta skip has lost only 12 times this year.

Gushue did manage wins over Burtnyk and reigning Brier and world champ Glenn Howard - another in the honours class in Winnipeg at 6-1 - but they're the only wins he's managed against those skips in a handful of games this year.

"We were one of the best teams at the Canada Cup, getting all the rocks in the right position," he said. "We were beating some pretty good teams pretty handily and to come here and play the way we have this week - even the three games we won were down three points in each of them at some point - to have to scrape and claw I think is a good test of our character.

"But we're not here to test character. We're here to win games and we got to start making some shots early."

Getting rocks in play early has been the team's Achilles heel at this Brier. Noftall struggled early in the week, but has been playing better of late. Schille was bang on through the week, but he curled only 70 per cent against Nova Scotia. Even Nichols, one of the best pure shooters in the game - anywhere - has had his moments.

Gushue, meanwhile, has been outstanding, reaffirming his spot as one of the game's best, despite what the ill-informed Internet posters may opine.

He virtually won Monday's game against Quebec single-handedly.

"It starts right from the first rock to the last rock," he said. "When that first rock is not in position, or the third or the fourth or whatever it is, you're chasing. The earlier you get it set up, the easier the shots go.

"Look at teams like Kevin Martin or Glenn Howard. Their numbers are huge at the back end because they're playing easier shots because the guys on the front end are putting the rocks in position early.

"We're not getting that and we're having to make tougher shots. I think it's a combination of a number of things: not putting the broom in the right spot, not judging weight correctly, not throwing the rock correctly.

"It's a team thing that we got to figure out."

Starting today.

rshort@thetelegram.com

Organizations: MTS Centre, Martin's, World Curling Tour Canadian Team Ranking System

Geographic location: Winnipeg, Nova Scotia, Halifax Newfoundland Quebec Italy Alberta Canada Manitoba Kamloops

Comments

Comments

• EmmaCay
    January 16, 2012 - 15:53

Thanks for sharing. I love tile and wood flooring. I can't wait to move into my own home and put in some new carpet.

• NT
    July 02, 2010 - 13:35

Hmmmm not a real sport. Only someone who hasnt played curling would say something like that. There comes definite skill as well as physical abilities to play this sport. You should try it some time, you may come to enjoy it and oust Brad.

• Sara
    July 02, 2010 - 13:34

How can you be a Newfoundlander and not Cheer and be proud of a Newfoundland team, I dont get it.

• J
    July 02, 2010 - 13:34

Just in case anyone is interested.....Gushue beat Burtnyk 9-4 in 8 ends this morning.

Mr. Stanley are you suggesting we cheer for only 75% of the Gushue team as that is all that has Newfoundland blood running through their veins. The other 25%, ironically, is Albertan!

• J
    July 02, 2010 - 13:34

I am not saying that I would be happy to see Gushue lose. I would love for any team from Newfoundland, regardless of their name, to bring home a Brier win or Scotties win to Newfoundland. It's long overdue. What I am saying is that after today it will be a longshot. From what I have seen of the Brier thus far, Gushue and team are not at the calibre of Howard, Martin or Simmons. More 'tweaking' is needed on that team.

As for Korab sitting near Ferbey....I knew it would only be a matter of time before a top notch team picked him up. Good on him!

• Fred
    July 02, 2010 - 13:34

To Kent. In answer to your foolish assumptions... No, No and NO.
    And furthermore, I am not alone in my opinion, am I folks!!!

• Kim
    July 02, 2010 - 13:34

Hey Peg Taylor, great mastery of the English language! What exactly does it mean when you say a halo loses its simmer???

• Craig
    July 02, 2010 - 13:31

You can't just cut an Olympic Gold Medal winner and expect him to just dissapear and play with a non-contender.

I truly hope Jamie does find a rink equal to or greater than the calibre of Team Gushue. Whether that team be in Newfoundland, Alberta, Ontario, I could not really care less. He's a Newfoundland boy and will always be one.

When Brad cut Jamie, I'm sure the line was uttered, 'It's nothing personal, it's just curling'.

If Jamie joins a big team out west and beats Brad at his own game, I hope Jamie utters the line, 'It's nothing personal, it's just business'.

I look forward to watching today's game to see how our Olympic hero fares. His back is against the wall, it's the bottom of the 9th, 2 minute warning, last minute of play in the 3rd period and Brad has a few Goliath's to slaughter!

• George
    July 02, 2010 - 13:31

Wow, tons of comments with little known facts.

1/ Kevin Martin is class and never dumped his team. Don Bartlet's marriage was going through turmoil as he was away from home 5 months of the year. I watched him cry as he announced his retirement from the game as his marriage was more important, fault him for that?. Donny Walchuk and Carter Ryecroft thought it better to bust the whole team.

CJ , you donkey, so Jamie is puttin on a few pounds, maybe that's because he's the only player on the team with a real job, however, he made the gym and threw rocks every day.

SH If Jamie was so good he would'a been picked up by now? This season he's played with Guy Hemmings, Pierre Charette and will be playing with Wayne Middaugh at the players championship in St Johns. He will not however abandon his Province ala Schille, who would not have even made it out of his zone had he stayed in Alberta and not been an import. I use that term loosly, as he has never been a resident of Newfoundland and the NL curling administration should be ashamed of themselves as they know for a fact that Schille flys in for a game and flys out after.
    I really feel sorry for Dave Noftall, as all Brad has done all week is state how his front end has cost them. Korab is a hard act to follow, quote Jamie is the best I have ever seen for knowing where your rock will finish straight out of you hand Russ Howard.
    K E The real reason for the split was Jamie was more popular, and Brad's ego couldn't take it !

Watch the tapes, the games they won, the other team made mistakes. The games they lost, were through poor set ups and sweeping errors. Bout time someone called a spade a spade.

• Brent
    July 02, 2010 - 13:31

How can Kent or anyone else tell people to grow up and get a life? Are we not free to cheer for whatever team we wish/ Didn't we all cheer for Brad when he was representing CANADA at the Olympics? The problem is not with Brad but the fact that he got rid of a great Nl curler and replaced him with a weaker curler from outside the province. I don't support that move and I think he made a mistake. I can cheer for anyone I want, Kent, and I am sure you will do the same!

• Adam
    July 02, 2010 - 13:30

With all due respect to those who have written in comment on Brad's team. I honestly do no think you have any idea what you are talking about.

Jamie did not fit with the rest of the team ANYMORE. Things change, people change, committments change, live changes. If Jamie did not want to put 100% into curling anymore, and Brad Jamie and Chris did, than Jamie should have left himself.

And as for the person cheering for Martin. He fired his entire team last year to form this new team - and you say he has class?????

Cheering for an Albertan over a NLer - you should be ashamed of yourself!!!!!

• SARA
    July 02, 2010 - 13:30

Kent I couldn't agree with you more, every team makes changes at some point, and I wouldn't blame him if his head is swelled mine would be to if I won the Gold. It might not be looking that good for him now but he will come around. GO TEAM GUSHUE!

• Margaret
    July 02, 2010 - 13:29

I guess Chris and Dave will be next to
    get the boot from Brad Gushue.
    After all, they just didn't live up to
    Brad's expectations !

• Jo
    July 02, 2010 - 13:27

I totally agree! Brad has to get off his high horse!! It seems his head has swelled since the olympics. I have heard a few rumours but I won't mention those because they are just that.. rumours! But... I will say that he definitely does not have the team that he had when they won. I am all for supporting the home team and I will continue to do so but you have to admit.. Brad does have a BIG HEAD!!! Why do you make changes to a team that's already GOLD??? Anyone care to answer?? KENT?????

• Paddy
    July 02, 2010 - 13:26

Terrell Owens? Are you kidding me. He did what's best for his team. Biggest me athlete besides Barry Bonds.

My god give me a break. Give your head a shake, and go back to sleep then wake.

If you are going to use examples use good ones. Brad got a big head, it won't be long before the swelling goes down.

As for complaining when Howard was picked up, we did. All of the curlers from newfoundland did. Not fans, curlers. Why go outside? Why not get a local? Are you admitting that Schille is better than any local? Did he ask anyone else to fill Howard's void? NO

• Dan
    July 02, 2010 - 13:26

Does anyone know why Jamie Korab was at the game last night. He was pretty cosy with Randy Ferby. I wonder if Randy is looking for a lead.

• J
    July 02, 2010 - 13:26

I wonder what tomorrows headlines will read. Maybe I'm a little old fashioned but I firmly believe in the old saying of why fix something if it isn't broken . There's been many references this week of the front end not setting up things properly; with is vital to this level of curling and vital to any team who goes on to win the Brier. I know I am biased in saying this but Jamie Korab is one of the best front enders in this country - if not the best. Gushue, with Korab, reached last years final and had it not been for Gushue's gamble in the 7th they might have even won it. Noftall does not fit into this mix at all. Gushue, like us all, has made many mistakes over the years, but ditching Korab was his biggest by far. If Gushue wants to be at the level he competed at 2 short years ago then he needs to put his tail between his legs and beef up his front end which should include Jamie Korab.

***All of you nay sayers please don't say that I'm throwing him under the bus..I'm just calling a spade a spade.

Also, when you watch todays game just take notice of the nice quiet weight that Martin, Simmons and Howard can throw. This is something that Gushue really needs to brush up on.

Love to hear some other comments and I'll be back in the morning!!!!!

• Adam
    July 02, 2010 - 13:25

George, if you mean 'real job' in that he attends every party from St. John's to Victoria, BC as a rep for Aliant, then yes you're right, he is the only one with a real job. I wish this was my 'real job' was to rub shoulders with big wigs, smile and drink beer while I flash my medal, sounds rough.

Jamie is a great guy and good curler, but time to move on.

Good luck today Brad. 2 wins and NL is in the playoffs. I know the people in my house will be cheering you guys on!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Craig
    July 02, 2010 - 13:25

Paddy....you want research, you got it, here's the lowdown on Terrell Owens,

'In a 2003 interview with Playboy magazine, he created controversy after insinuating quaterback Jeff Garcia was homosexual.'

'He also caused considerable controversy with a comment to the effect that he wasn't the guy who got tired in the Super Bowl , the remark, thought by most, to be directed at Donovan McNabb, caused a controversy between them to heat up. Owens has always claimed the remark was not directed towards McNabb, but in regard to his obsessive diet and workout programs. On July 1, Owens' relationship with the Eagles became even more tense after Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie and club president Joe Banner denied Owens permission to play basketball in a summer league under the auspices of the NBA's Sacramento Kings.[5]

Owens' contract controversy heated up as training camp drew nearer. Owens, with the negotiating help of Rosenhaus, continued to lobby for a new contract. Owens and Rosenhaus met with Eagles head coach Andy Reid and president Joe Banner, but no agreement was reached. (This was in line with the Eagles' policy against contract renegotiations.) Owens threatened to hold out of training camp until a deal was reached, but he reported to camp on time. When the 2005 football season began, Owens was in the second year of a seven-year, $49 million contract. However, the contract was heavily back loaded, and while the $49 million figure was routinely touted by the sports media as an example of Owens' greed, the money guaranteed to him was under the annual average for a top-tier wide receiver.

During the season, Owens continued to voice his displeasure. After more misconstrued remarks about Eagles management and Donovan McNabb, Owens was suspended four games without pay and then deactivated for the rest of the season. (See Controversy Section.) The next season, Owens left the Philadelphia Eagles franchise and eventually signed with the Dallas Cowboys.'

Yeah, he's real team player. Oh yeah, here's the time he started a brawl at the 50 yard line between San Francisco and Dallas....a real class act,

It's only been in the last 2 seaons Owens has straightened his act up.

Look at Randy Moss. He blew up in Minnesota and was the craps in Los Angeles.

Why are both Moss and Owens doing so well with their respective teams?? Because they're playing with great players!

Just like Brad did when he brought on Russ Howard.

As for why go outside? Because from Brad's perspective, he wanted the best and he got the best. Here's Russ Howard's stats,

- been to the Brier 13 times (8 as Ontario, 5 as New Brunswick),

- winning the title twice (both as Ontario).

- He is also a 2-time world champion, winning in 1987 and 1993.

Name ONE CURLER IN NEWFOUNDLAND WHO CAN MATCH THAT???

I'm waiting......I'll let you do some research and you can get back to me with that person's name....

Now, while you're researching that first questioin, I'll ask a second,

If you were the GM of a Canadian hockey team and Sidney Crosby came to you and said, 'I want to play for you' but you knew you would have to cut Danny Cleary, Michael Ryder or Ryane Clowe, would you??

If you say no, you're a liar, and if you say yes, then you would have the same reasoning as any other intelligent human being - because you want to win - Just like Brad Gushue does.

• Kent
    July 02, 2010 - 13:25

To Peg and all of the other morons out there, Get a life! Build a bridge! Brad made some changes to his team in anticipation of making improvements. I don't know of any professional or amateur sporting team to embark on such a change that had immediate success!! Remember Tiger Woods swing change a couple of years ago? Everyone said he was done, dried up, whatever! Now look at him. Sure this is a little different, but it's the same principal. When you make profound change, it takes time to see the fruits of your labour! Why would anyone cheer for Howard and the others? Only in Nfld. do you see this kind of attitude. We hate to see one of our own do well. Mike Ryder gets his car and home vandalized, now we all turn on Brad!! Get a life!! When Brad and the boys do get things together, whenever that may be (because it will happen), I hope that I don't see everyone jumping on the bandwagon again.!! Get a life and grow up!!!

• Kent
    July 02, 2010 - 13:25

Elias,

I'd put my reading skills up against yours any day of the week! I guess you trust can't grasp the complexity of the point I'm trying to make. You need a logic coach!!! I won't even try to explain. Some things are just way too deep and difficult to understand for some people!

Go Team Gushue!!!!!

• J
    July 02, 2010 - 13:24

Two thumbs up for Fred!

• Fred
    July 02, 2010 - 13:24

Okay people. I've ALWAYS thought that the gold medal team should have ALWAYS been named Team Korab .
    Nuff said?

• Kent
    July 02, 2010 - 13:23

Jo - Thanks for agreeing, you make changes because you want to improve. Again I go back to the Tiger Woods analogy. Tiger was at the top of the golf world in 2000. Total domination, total control and nothing but promise for the future. Tiger did realize that in order to keep on top, he had to make some changes. He hired a new swing coach, changed his swing and put strong emphasis on his short game. The fact that golf isn't a team sport is irrelevant here, it's about evolution and the desire to improve. Look at Tiger now! He's better than he's ever been. Why did the Canadian Gold Medal hockey team from Salt Lake City make changes in Torino??? I'll tell you why, they recognize that their competition had changed and improved and they deduced that in order for them to remain competitive they had to make changes to improve as well. The same could be said of any champion of any sport. The Blue Jays of the early 90's made significant change after their first world series win, yet won again the next year..again recognizing that the world around them was changing to catch up. Listen, I'm not saying that Jamie Korab isn't a top quality curler, I'm simply saying that Brad recognized that in order to get better and to continue to compete at an elite level, a shake-up was needed. Simple.

Anyways, I agree with Perry. It's the NL/Labrador representative, we owe it to them to show our support. If you don't, I'm sorry but you're a traitor!! Get over the Korab issue! It's ancient history now.

Brent, are you serious?? Do you think Korab is better than Schille????? My god man, get your head out of the sand! You imply that you're cheering for other teams because of the personel changes? That's lame! Go ahead cheer for Howard, I'm sure that he's winning will make you feel a lot more proud to be a Newfoundlander???????!!!!!!!

• Elias
    July 02, 2010 - 13:22

He'll blow it again. I'm a proud NL'er, and an avid curling fan. I cheer for my own, but after watching him all year, rest assured he'll find a way to lose. His head gets a little larger after each win until he gets too cocky and attempts next to impossible shots. Play it simple like the Kevin Martin skipped Alberta team and he'd bring more hardware home.

Mark will be the next that will leave the team, maybe he'll skip Korab, Adam, and Lewrew next year.

Schille isn't a Newfoundlander, it's not a full newfoundland team is it? So when Kelly Turpin curled for Yellowknife/NWT a couple years ago and I cheered for her there is that the same?

Kent, it seems you've been under a rock for a few years. What Michael Ryder has to do with curling, one will never know. Maybe it would be a similarity to sweeping, surely knows he swept a lot off his floors at his house last summer, dirt and people. What is it that Tiger Woods has to do with curling and this topic? I think you should hire a reading coach, much like Tiger's swing coach to re-read the article.

And CJ, how many sit-ups do you think Randy Ferbey has done over the years? How many times did he win the brier? Did Korab look tired in winning the gold at the olympics? Maybe he was a problem, but conditioning is a poor excuse, it's not like he had a spare tire around his waist.

• Kent
    July 02, 2010 - 13:22

Fred, one of three things - you're from CBN, you're Jaime's brother/cousin/uncle, you've been living under a rock since 2006!!

• S
    July 02, 2010 - 13:22

Most or should I say all the top teams in curling make changes to their teams. It happens in ever sport. In fact many of the other competitive curling teams in NL make changes to their teams at the end of each season. Heather Strong made changes and had a strong finish at the Scotties.

And yes Jamie was an important ingredient to the Gold Medal run, however if he is as good as some of you beleive, wouldn't he have been picked up by another top team by now. If Sidney Crosby was cut from the Penguins, how long would it take for him to be snapped up by another team??

And I am guessing that all the nay sayers, will also be the first people at the airport when Team Gushue wins a Brier or another major curling event. It must be dangerous jumping on and off the bandwagon.

• Craig
    July 02, 2010 - 13:21

CJ,

I fail to see how going onto Wikipedia, looking up Terrell Owens and then selcting 'COPY' and then 'PASTE' is consdiered a great deal of time.

Is it my fault that I actually investigated some form of truth rather than assume I know it and then claim something that is false?

Half of the comments here today are from people who pull what they believe is the truth out of mid-air.

Excuse me for putting that Know-It-All in Paddy in his place.

FYI, I wrote that comment in under 10 minutes. Now I'm back to work, earning my $44.71 an hour.

• Carl
    July 02, 2010 - 13:17

Very good point Adam Stanley.

Incredibly some of my friends were saying that exact same thing today! Only in NL would we turn on Brad Gushue.

But people who can't understand that team's change (Martin dumped all three of his team not long ago) should mind what they say. And those who say they want someone else to win... That's just sad.

• BoB
    July 02, 2010 - 13:16

Hey kent!! Is that you Brad??

• Kim
    July 02, 2010 - 13:16

Hey Team NL , what a wicked game AGAIN last night, another nail bitter can you play any better then having the hearts betting out of our body until the last rock stops? LOL we love ya. You have given us great intertainment to say the least would not exspect anything less from you. We all know that this afternoon's game will be a great one you have beaten team Martin before and TEAM NL can do it again. Have faith my fellow Newfoundlanders...

• George
    July 02, 2010 - 13:16

btw, Did you notice Johnny Mo's hairstyle this aftrenoon?. A Korab style made as a tribute for a player dumped on. As a side note, with so many carpet shops, who do you think is funding the team since Saville Group let them go ?

• Moon Buggy
    July 02, 2010 - 13:15

People, relax, it's only curling not a real sport.

• Jim
    July 02, 2010 - 13:15

Holy bashing.....

I'd hate to see if the team wasn't successful. Who cares if Jamie or Mike got replaced. They were part of good thing for NL and Canada.

I applaud Gushue for having the guts and vision to try to improve. It's kind of hard to argue with the fact he is at the Brier again, and in contention and has had a great year on the tour.

Don't we love to pick on our own.

Jim

• CJ
    July 02, 2010 - 13:15

Craig, you have got some great points here.

You obviously have a lot of time on your hands, but some great points.

And this Team Korab comment, Fred, did you bump your head this morning? Most Jamie's shots are thrown before the television comes back from the commercial break.

• Craig
    July 02, 2010 - 13:14

I see your point Kent, but in my opinioin, a much better analogy to help those who don't see your point could have been,

- Ryan Smyth / Edmonton Trade
    - Wayne Gretzky / Edmonton Trade
    - Terrell Owens / Philadelphia Trade
    - Chris Pronger / Edmonton Trade

All of the above have 1 thing in common....either the player or team wanted out because in each case, either the team or player was doing what was best for them.

I agree with Kent. As the examples show, the same principle applies here to Gushe - he was doing what was best for his team.

I agree with the desire and willingness to improve. Each year the Trade Deadline happens and players are delt from team to team, this is no different than that.

Are we to assume to that Brad Gushue or any other player on his team is to remain loyal to Team Gushue forever? That's pretty foolish to assume such a thing. Things change, skills dwindles, attiutudes and personalities evolve.

Some of you out there might see what Gushue did to Korab as betrayal of NL Pride - which is hardly the case at all.

If you so, why weren't you people as anal about NL Pride and cursing Brad for bringing Russ Howard on for the Olympics?? You people did not seem to mind when he won Olympic Gold, no one seemed to care.....very hypocritical wouldn't you say???

Being the skip of a curling team means you're the Captain, Asst. Coach and GM all wrapped into one. Better yet, let me put it this way, Brad is playing the role of Mats Sundin, Cliff Fletcher and Paul Maurice into one. He does not have the luxury of turning to a GM to fix things when the chemistry is not right, he has to make that decision. And as such, it's his job to ensure that his team performs 110% each game. He saw something was wrong and fixed it.

End of Story. Get over it.

• mike
    July 02, 2010 - 13:14

kent- tiger woods golfs-individual sport
    brad gushue curls-team sport
    i do not see the correlation here at all. try again....and what does michael ryder's car being vandalized have anything to do with this? is there a corelation you are going to draw between ryder's car and something and this story because if so i am all ears

• Peg
    July 02, 2010 - 13:14

Sours grapes so be it!!!! I bet there are more Newfoundlander cheering against Brad then for him. My that halo of Brad's has lost its simmer a long time ago.

I'm with the against and cheering for Martin at least he has class.

• CJ
    July 02, 2010 - 13:13

Am I missing something Brent? When did the Gushue team replace someone from Newfoundland for a player not from Newfoundland since Russ Howard left? I believe after Russ decided he was going back to his own team, the Gushue team picked up Schille. The team replaced replaced Howard with Schille.

The team replaced Korab with Noftall.

Jamie Korab is a good curler, I don't think anyone is disputing that. However, when your second, third and Skip are putting in hours of practice time and hard work in the gym, and the lead seems to be missing training and putting on the extra pounds that the rest of the team are not, I think there in lies a problem.

The guy not doing the work creates animosity amongst the rest of the team and the team chemistry starts to fade. Teams make changes all the time and if people like Peg read the article above, they would have seen that Martin is not the class act that everyone thinks he is. In the words of Robin Short, Martin, in fact, gutted his team, replaced with John Morris, Marc Kennedy and Ben Hebert.

Oh how classy that Martin really is, much more classy than our own Olympic champ. Get a life.

I won't tell anybody to cheer for someone, but if you ain't cheering for the Gushue team, don't consider yourself a Newfoundland Curling fan, just a curling fan. In the words of the great Vince Lombardi, If you're not with us, you're against us.

• Judy
    July 02, 2010 - 13:13

Brad who???? Does he still curl ?????

• K
    July 02, 2010 - 13:13

lol - too funny. What's wrong with bringing in a cfa in order to do what you think is best for your team? Jamie was great, but sometimes people don't get along - that's life. I think Brad(and Mark) know what's best for them to win and not the bunch of yahoos on here. Nice win against Burtnyk this morning - hope they keep it going the rest of the way...

• Mark D
    July 02, 2010 - 13:12

The circumstances are very different for Gushue now. Russ Howard is not there to provide wisdom, half the old team has been dismissed and, thankfully, Brad's Mom seems to be doing better these days.

The Gushue Team of 2006 drove our spirit by being underdogs and Brad had the weight of the world on his shoulders personally, so we cheered for the guys. They got the top prize and we wanted thngs to stay the way they were.

That is not the case in real life or sporting life.

I was ticked off when Korab was ousted but that is done.

Brad is now fighting back like a champion does and I wish him all the success.

Perhaps our fellow Newfoundlanders are happier win Ontario wins,which is unfortunate.

• Darren
    July 02, 2010 - 13:10

You naysayers don't have a clue. Brad's ultimate goal (and that of every other curling team in Canada, just ask them) is to get to the Oympics and win Gold. The best team goes, not the best 4 players from the same province. Yes, the Brier is important but Brad like a lot of other teams on both the Men's and Women's side have made changes. Yes Jamie was a likeable guy and a great curler but when you're not on the same page with the skip and/or third, changes have to be made. As for the comment, Korab was replaced with less talented curler(s), there is always room for debate but Noftall is at 86% and Schille 82% this week, good numbers and Korab was no better is previous years.

Is Brad's head too big? Give me a break, is Tiger Woods head too big, Manny Rameriz maybe? You have to be confidant to be good and don't forget curling is a sport where the players are mic'd and we here everything they say. I'm willing to bet other big time athletes are more confidant/cocky than Brad.

Jamie is gone, get over it. Oh yeah and one more question: would you have rathered Brad have not brought in Russ Howard (a non-Newfoundlander) pushing Mike Adam to fifth and therefore not even made it to the Olympics let alone win a Gold medal. Yeah, didn't think so.

• Mike
    July 02, 2010 - 13:09

Kent, I only have one thing to say to you. Well said!

• DON
    July 02, 2010 - 13:09

I AGREE COMPLETLY WITH MARGARETS COMMENTS

• Perry
    July 02, 2010 - 13:08

Although it could have been more eloquently put, I do agree with Kent to a point. I, like many Newfoundland and Labradorians, did not agree with droping Korab from the team. It was hard for all of us to swallow..........the dumping of a fellow Nflder. I will certainly admitt that I was pulling for the Mark Noseworthy rink at the Tankard. But there really is little sense in staying bitter about the situation. Team Gushue is Team NL at this years Brier and no matter what I am NL first.

• NT
    July 01, 2010 - 20:25

• Sara
    July 01, 2010 - 20:24

• J
    July 01, 2010 - 20:24

• J
    July 01, 2010 - 20:24

• Fred
    July 01, 2010 - 20:24

To Kent. In answer to your foolish assumptions... No, No and NO.
    And furthermore, I am not alone in my opinion, am I folks!!!

• Kim
    July 01, 2010 - 20:23

• Craig
    July 01, 2010 - 20:20

• George
    July 01, 2010 - 20:19

Wow, tons of comments with little known facts.

• Brent
    July 01, 2010 - 20:19

• Adam
    July 01, 2010 - 20:19

Cheering for an Albertan over a NLer - you should be ashamed of yourself!!!!!

• SARA
    July 01, 2010 - 20:18

• Margaret
    July 01, 2010 - 20:17

I guess Chris and Dave will be next to
    get the boot from Brad Gushue.
    After all, they just didn't live up to
    Brad's expectations !

• Jo
    July 01, 2010 - 20:14

• Paddy
    July 01, 2010 - 20:14

My god give me a break. Give your head a shake, and go back to sleep then wake.

• Dan
    July 01, 2010 - 20:14

• J
    July 01, 2010 - 20:12

Love to hear some other comments and I'll be back in the morning!!!!!

• Adam
    July 01, 2010 - 20:12

Jamie is a great guy and good curler, but time to move on.

• Craig
    July 01, 2010 - 20:11

Paddy....you want research, you got it, here's the lowdown on Terrell Owens,

It's only been in the last 2 seaons Owens has straightened his act up.

Look at Randy Moss. He blew up in Minnesota and was the craps in Los Angeles.

Just like Brad did when he brought on Russ Howard.

- been to the Brier 13 times (8 as Ontario, 5 as New Brunswick),

- winning the title twice (both as Ontario).

- He is also a 2-time world champion, winning in 1987 and 1993.

Name ONE CURLER IN NEWFOUNDLAND WHO CAN MATCH THAT???

Now, while you're researching that first questioin, I'll ask a second,

July 01, 2010 - 20:07

• S
    July 01, 2010 - 20:06

• Craig
    July 01, 2010 - 20:05

CJ,

Excuse me for putting that Know-It-All in Paddy in his place.

• Carl
    July 01, 2010 - 19:57

Very good point Adam Stanley.

• BoB
    July 01, 2010 - 19:57

Hey kent!! Is that you Brad??

• Kim
    July 01, 2010 - 19:57

• George
    July 01, 2010 - 19:56

• Moon Buggy
    July 01, 2010 - 19:55

People, relax, it's only curling not a real sport.

• Jim
    July 01, 2010 - 19:54

Holy bashing.....

Don't we love to pick on our own.

Jim

• CJ
    July 01, 2010 - 19:54

Craig, you have got some great points here.

You obviously have a lot of time on your hands, but some great points.

• Craig
    July 01, 2010 - 19:54

- Ryan Smyth / Edmonton Trade
    - Wayne Gretzky / Edmonton Trade
    - Terrell Owens / Philadelphia Trade
    - Chris Pronger / Edmonton Trade

End of Story. Get over it.

• mike
    July 01, 2010 - 19:53

kent- tiger woods golfs-individual sport
    brad gushue curls-team sport

• Peg
    July 01, 2010 - 19:52

I'm with the against and cheering for Martin at least he has class.

• CJ
    July 01, 2010 - 19:52

The team replaced Korab with Noftall.

• Judy
    July 01, 2010 - 19:52

Brad who???? Does he still curl ?????

• K
    July 01, 2010 - 19:51

• Mark D
    July 01, 2010 - 19:50

That is not the case in real life or sporting life.

I was ticked off when Korab was ousted but that is done.

Brad is now fighting back like a champion does and I wish him all the success.

• Darren
    July 01, 2010 - 19:46

• Mike
    July 01, 2010 - 19:44

Kent, I only have one thing to say to you. Well said!

• DON