It's a coast-to-coast tiebreaker

Robin
Robin Short

Tim hortons brier Newfoundland faces British Columbia this morning, with final playoff berth on the line

But unless Gushue and his mates find their consistent game - and soon - their hands will eventually get caught in a snare.

Newfoundland and Labrador skip Brad Gushue (right) talks with third Mark Nichols during their 9-7 win over New Brunswick at the Brier Canadian men's curling championship Thursday in Winnipeg. Newfoundland won twice Thursday to finish with a 7-4 record and

Winnipeg - Brad Gushue and his Newfoundland curling team pulled another rabbit out of the hat Thursday, slipping past P.E.I. for a 7-6 extra-end win to earn a spot in today's tie-breaker at the Tim Hortons Brier.

"Not if we keep playing the way we're playing," Gushue replied when queried if Newfoundland's current game was good enough to get to Sunday. "I definitely think we have the ability to proceed past tomorrow, but if we play the way we have against teams that are playing well, it's going to be tough.

"We're going to have to pick it up, there's no doubt about that. The game against Kerry (Burtnyk of Manitoba, a 9-4 win), we played really well. That's really the only full game we put together. We've put together three and four ends, but that's it.

"We're just hoping we can put it together. It's just a matter of being patient, being patient."

But the patience, and time, is running out.

Today, Gushue opens the playoffs with a tiebreaking game for fourth place against British Columbia. Both teams finished 7-4, but Gushue registered a 7-6 decision over Bob Ursel in the round-robin.

The tiebreaker is scheduled for noon, Newfoundland time.

Manitoba was also in the hunt for a tiebreaker, but lost 8-2 to Saskatchewan Thursday night.

Alberta finished first with a perfect 11-0 record, with Saskatchewan second at 9-2. Ontario also finished 9-2, but is third because of Pat Simmons' 7-5 win over Glenn Howard, the defending champ, Tuesday.

The winner of the Newfoundland-B.C. game plays Ontario in the 3-4 Page Playoff game 4:30 p.m. (NT) today. Alberta and Saskatchewan play in the 1-2 Page playoff game at 4:30, with the winner going directly to Sunday's final.

The 3-4 Page winner then plays the 1-2 Page loser in a semifinal scheduled for 4 p.m. (NT) Saturday.

Gushue needed more than patience Thursday. A little luck went a long way against the Islanders, who jumped out to a 4-0 lead after two ends.

But Gushue, Mark Nichols, Chris Schille and Dave Noftall, who beat New Brunswick 9-7 earlier Thursday, scratched their way back - just as they've done all week - to knot things at five after seven ends.

For much of this Winnipeg Brier, Newfoundland has been battling from behind. There was the game against Quebec Monday when Gushue trailed 5-2 after five ends, scrambling with two in the 10th before winning in an extra end.

There was the game against B.C. on Tuesday when Newfoundland trailed 4-2 after six ends, when Gushue missed a peel to win it in 10, sending things to an extra session before pulling out the win.

Thursday night, Newfoundland appeared to be done in the 10th end with P.E.I.'s Peter Gallant holding last shot. With one counting - tying the score 6-6 - Gallant tried a delicate tap-back for the win, but his final stone overcurled.

"It was makeable," Gushue said of P.E.I.'s final rock. "As bad as this is going to sound, you hope he misses and you have another chance. Fortunately for us, he overcurled and we're still around."

Newfoundland played a flawless extra end, leaving Gallant with nothing to do, but draw to an open house with his last shot. But the P.E.I. skip was long, leaving Gushue with open paint for the win.

"I would rather have had to draw the button because if I miss that, I'll never hear the end of it," smiled the 27-year-old skip, the youngest at his position in the field of 12. "Last time I missed a draw to the paint, I ... ah ... yeah, I'm still hearing about it."

Gushue, of course, was referring to the 2000 national junior final in Moncton, N.B., which seems like a lifetime ago, when he had an open draw to win the championship, but his shot came up well short of the rings.

But this living on the edge thing is getting a little long. Gushue admitted he's no fan of it, either, but at least takes comfort in the fact the team has so far dodged the bullet.

Can't rely on luck anymore

So maybe there is some truth to the old adage you've got to be good to be lucky and lucky to be good.

"Well," he said, "we haven't been very good, but we've been a little bit lucky. So I don't think that works right now.

"But we're into the tie-breakers, so it's a clean slate. It doesn't matter if you're 10-1 or 7-4. All you got to do is win the rest of your games."

rshort@thetelegram.com

FINAL STANDINGS/RESULTS/UPCOMING SCHEDULE

Winnipeg - Standings following play Thursday at the 2008 Tim Hortons Brier (all times ET):
Province (Skip) W L
x-Alberta (Martin) 11 0
x-Saskatchewan (Simmons) 9 2
x-Ontario (Howard) 9 2
y-N.L. (Gushue) 7 4
y-B.C. (Ursel) 7 4
Manitoba (Burtnyk) 6 4
Quebec (JM. Menard) 4 7
Northern Ont. (E.Harnden) 3 8
P.E.I. (Gallant) 3 8
Nova Scotia (Rafuse) 3 8
New Brunswick (J.Grattan) 2 9
Yukon/NWT (Cowan) 2 9
x - Clinched playoff berths.
x - Will play tiebreaker.
Thursday Results
Draw 15
Alberta 7 Ontario 4
British Columbia 6 Prince Edward Island 3
Newfoundland/Labrador 9 New Brunswick 7
Nova Scotia 8 Yukon/Northwest Territories 7
Draw 16
British Columbia 8 New Brunswick 6
Manitoba 7 Quebec 3
Newfoundland/Labrador 7 PEI 6 (extra end)
Northern Ontario 7 Saskatchewan 6
Draw 17
Alberta 7 Yukon/Northwest Territories 4
Saskatchewan 8 Manitoba 2
Ontario 8 Nova Scotia 6
Quebec 9 Northern Ontario 8 (extra end)
Today's Games
Tiebreaker, 10:30 a.m.
Newfoundland/Labrador vs. British Columbia
---
Playoffs
Page Playoffs (no tiebreakers)
Ontario vs. Tiebreaker winner, 3 p.m.
Alberta vs. Saskatchewan, 8 p.m.
---
Saturday Game
Semifinal
Alberta-Saskatchewan loser vs. Ontario-Tiebreaker winner, 2:30 p.m.
---
Sunday Game
Championship
Alberta-Saskatchewan winner vs. Semifinal winner, 6:30 p.m.

Organizations: Islanders, Alberta 7 Ontario 4

Geographic location: Newfoundland, British Columbia, Winnipeg Manitoba Saskatchewan Alberta Ontario Quebec B.C. Nova Scotia Yukon Moncton New Brunswick Northwest Territories Northern Ontario

Comments

Comments

• Paddy
    July 02, 2010 - 13:35

Don't mind this riff raff Gushue...just sweep the sh$t out of those stones...cheers, Paddy

• John W.
    July 02, 2010 - 13:35

just viewed the telegram poll.

Are you supporting the Brad Gushue rink at the Tim Hortons Brier in Winnipeg?
    · No (37%)

Just wondering if those who are not supporting Brad, if they could enlighten the rest of us as to the reason why this is so. Surely 37% are not from outside this province, even some of those just may support Brad.

• Marc
    July 02, 2010 - 13:32

I'm from Nfld and have followed many of the comments that got posted over the last few days. I think some people like to complain and stir the pot. This guy Schille didn't insult Nfld but rather protected a team mate. When he says map, he's likely talking about the curling map, and he's absolutely right. Other than MacDuff in 76, Nfld hadn't won a major curling championship let alone an Olympic Gold. These guys are focused on winning and you should applaud them on the way for having our flag on their back.

• M
    July 02, 2010 - 13:31

I agree with Marc. Some people here in this province tend to shun outsiders and take it as an insult when one of their own is not chosen. Even I have felt the wrath of this, after living in AB for 6 yrs and moving back to NL. There were those who thought I was too good for them, just because I had lived away... what a bunch of BULL! If I thought I was too good, why would I move back?!

Get real, people! Respect other people's decisions, especially Brad's. I doubt you have the curling experience and knowledge he has acquired over the years!

BEST OF LUCK, BRAD!

• John W.
    July 02, 2010 - 13:30

Finally, it seems that all those with those terrible comments recentlty, have been swept under the carpet. Good.

Brad...you go man.. do your thing, stay with it and just do your best. this is about all that most of us expect of you.. good luck in the coming days...

• Jim
    July 02, 2010 - 13:30

Jamie would no have hogged a rock in the 10th end.

• Margaret
    July 02, 2010 - 13:27

Team Gushue lost to B.C.
    Guess Dave and Chris will be getting
    their walking papers after April.

John W., you must be related to Brad
    or his wife.

• Jeff
    July 02, 2010 - 13:27

Thankfully Brad lost and we can finally let go of the mindless banter about this unimportant topic. Entertaing but mindless!

• shack23
    July 02, 2010 - 13:26

Go Brad Gushue, especially since you now reside in Paradise.

• John W.
    July 02, 2010 - 13:25

Margaret.. Sorry, but once again, you are wrong, due to most likely discombobulation.

To make it quite clear. I am for my Newfoundland team, be it Brad, Tom, Dic*k or Harry who is associated with it. Now, have you got that straight?

• M
    July 02, 2010 - 13:23

Alberta from Alberta, I believe you are the one lacking in education. The harshness of your comments only add to your ignorance as a human being. Why are you even on this website/forum?!

While I agree that NL'ders sometimes do not accept even their own, I wholeheartedly DISAGREE with your overall hatred for our province. Wow, it's actually quite mindboggling... disappointing, really.

• Denise
    July 02, 2010 - 13:22

Alberta from Alberta who do you think is the back bone of the Alberta Economy? The well-educated Newfoundlanders who they come here to actively recruit that's who.

As for Clowe and Ryder they are home here every summer. Darren Langdon also moved back here when he retired as well. Where is Alberta's most famous NHL supertsar residing? Certainly not in Edmonton that's for sure because he likes his new life in NY.

• Wayne
    July 02, 2010 - 13:22

I just finished watching the tie-breaker game with BC. Brad next move with the team is to replace the ship.

• Curling
    July 02, 2010 - 13:21

To Marc in Truro, NS, it's not a flag on their back. It's a Coat of Arms, which should be our new Pitcher Plant

• Mark
    July 02, 2010 - 13:18

If Gushue loses the tie-breaker, Nichols better watch out he doesn't get canned like Korab.

• martin
    July 02, 2010 - 13:18

Curling is an excuse of a sport. We as Newfoundlanders need to try harder to get a respectable medal or prize, other than curling from a Brad Gushue we all love to hate. Lets work hard and accomplish something to be extremely proud of and then we can rename that highway with a proper name

• Jeff
    July 02, 2010 - 13:18

It would be nice to see BC win this one.

• Don
    July 02, 2010 - 13:17

Good luck to Team Gushue on Friday. Our Province is behind you guys 100%. You have already done us proud!!!

• J
    July 02, 2010 - 13:16

Would someone please explain to me about this tie breaker stuff. Saskatchewan and Ontario both finished with the same record but because Sask beat Ontario in the round robin then then they were awarded 2nd place and Ontario with third. Whi is it that the same rule doesn't apply to 4th and 5th. Both NL and B.C. finished with the same record and Nl defeated B.C. in the round robin but they have to play a tie breaker. Would someone who knows the rules better than me please explain.

• Dave
    July 02, 2010 - 13:13

JT: I'm not certain for curling but with most sports, you can have your positioning affected by a tie-breaking rule but you cannot be eliminated from a tournament by the same rule. That is why they have to actually play the game when there is a tie for the last playoff spot.

• Lee
    July 02, 2010 - 13:12

Yes, Good Luck today, Team Gushue.
    Most of us are proud of you.

However, I'm certainly not too proud
    of the statement that Schille made about
    Newfoundland not being on the map except for Team Gushue. Once again,
    another mainlander insulting us and treating us as if we were nobodys . Stand up for your
    home Province, Brad.

• eleanor
    July 02, 2010 - 13:12

Always did support Brad Gushue, still do not really understand, why he let the people on his team go, my personal belief is that Brad needs to learn it is a TEAM effort! I have personally met 3 of them, in my opinion Brad is very arrogant!

• Wingsfan
    July 02, 2010 - 13:12

Hard luck on the tiebreaker.

To answer that question, Mr. Schille's comments hasn't sat well with curling fans, it was the topic of discussion my local rink that last two days.

I can't wait to see what Chris Downhill Schille's comments are. The team has been going downhill ever since he's joined them.

• Paddy
    July 01, 2010 - 20:24

• John W.
    July 01, 2010 - 20:24

just viewed the telegram poll.

Are you supporting the Brad Gushue rink at the Tim Hortons Brier in Winnipeg?
    · No (37%)

• Marc
    July 01, 2010 - 20:21

• M
    July 01, 2010 - 20:19

BEST OF LUCK, BRAD!

• John W.
    July 01, 2010 - 20:18

• Jim
    July 01, 2010 - 20:18

Jamie would no have hogged a rock in the 10th end.

• Margaret
    July 01, 2010 - 20:15

Team Gushue lost to B.C.
    Guess Dave and Chris will be getting
    their walking papers after April.

John W., you must be related to Brad
    or his wife.

• Jeff
    July 01, 2010 - 20:14

• shack23
    July 01, 2010 - 20:12

Go Brad Gushue, especially since you now reside in Paradise.

• John W.

• Mark
    July 01, 2010 - 20:00

• martin
    July 01, 2010 - 19:59

• Jeff
    July 01, 2010 - 19:59

It would be nice to see BC win this one.

• Don
    July 01, 2010 - 19:57

• J
    July 01, 2010 - 19:56

• Dave
    July 01, 2010 - 19:50

• Lee
    July 01, 2010 - 19:50

Yes, Good Luck today, Team Gushue.
    Most of us are proud of you.

However, I'm certainly not too proud
    of the statement that Schille made about
    Newfoundland not being on the map except for Team Gushue. Once again,
    home Province, Brad.

• eleanor
    July 01, 2010 - 19:49

• Wingsfan
    July 01, 2010 - 19:49

Hard luck on the tiebreaker.