Gushue headed back to the future?

Robin
Robin Short

CURLING Schille, Noftall won't be returning; sources say Korab is part of front-end makeover

Brad Gushue and Mark Nichols will have a new front end next year and sources tell The Telegram one of those curlers will be a familiar face.

Dave Noftall and Chris Schille, who threw lead and second stones for the Olympic gold medallists this season, won't be returning next year and will be replaced by Jamie Korab, who was a member of that 2006 Torino team, and Ryan Fry, who curled third for Winnipeg's Jeff Stoughton this year.

Jamie Korab Telegram file photo

"No final decisions have been made on our team for next year," Gushue replied when asked to confirm or deny the speculation.

Korab was sacked just over a year ago in a very public and very messy split.

The Harbour Grace native was a long-time member of the Newfoundland team, curling junior with Gushue and Nichols and was fifth on the world junior championship team in 2001.

The foursome had just returned from Hamilton, Ont. and a runner-up showing at the Tim Horton Brier when Korab learned he was turfed.

Gushue cited "chemistry" issues as the reasoning for Korab's ouster. Korab later contended an on-ice spat between the two at the Strauss Canada Cup in Kamloops, B.C., led to his demise.

The move created a firestorm of criticism - some of it unwarranted and unjust - aimed at Gushue.

"I've never ruled it out," Gushue said when asked if he would play with Korab again. "I've always said in media interviews I'd be willing to play with him again.

"But there are certain conditions and certain things that would have to change for that to happen, and Mark and I are going to stand firm on those.

"If those conditions are met, and those changes are made, we'd be open to playing with Jamie again, next year or down the road."

Gushue would not elaborate, and Korab was unavailable for comment.

In Fry, Gushue would be getting a 29-year-old native of Winnipeg who curled with Stoughton in the 2007 Brier where he was named a second-team all-star.

Before joining Stoughton, Fry skipped his own teams and was runner-up Northern Ontario's Jeff Currie in the 1996 Canadian junior championship.

Fry, the source said, would make a full-time move to St. John's.

Schille is a native of Red Deer who found the travel between St. John's and Alberta increasingly difficult. In addition to that, his girlfriend lives in Winnipeg.

"Chris felt the travel was too hard on him, and it was mutually agreed among the three of us we go separate ways," Gushue said.

"He was disappointed and we were disappointed we weren't going to fulfill the four years. But life comes first and he wants to get his life in order. The last two years of not working and coming down here have taken a toll on him."

As for Noftall, he and his wife have two young children and Gushue said the strain of a very busy travel schedule may have impacted the veteran lead.

"I don't think he was comfortable with the travel, and maybe the situation that he was thrown into," he said of Noftall, who was pegged as Korab's replacement.

"It was a difficult position to be put into, for anybody," Gushue said. "But we have the utmost respect for Dave, and he did a wonderful job. He was understanding of the decision. Everything is on good terms."

The moves mark the sixth straight year there's been at least one change on the team.

In 2004, Mark Ward joined Gushue, Nichols and Korab. In '05, Ward was replaced by Keith Ryan, who was supplanted by Mike Adam in '06. Adam was later relegated to fifth in favour of Russ Howard for the Olympic Trials and Torino Games. In 2007, Schille came aboard in place of Adam/Howard, this year it was Noftall and next season there'll be two new faces.

"Not at all," Gushue replied when asked if he's concerned with the potential of another round of condemnation. "I got criticized last year when people didn't know the situation, so if they want to criticize me now, they can go right ahead.

"Last year, I was unfairly criticized for a situation people knew very little about. I've been wide open about this, so if they want to criticize me, then go right ahead."

rshort@thetelegram.com

Organizations: Olympic Trials

Geographic location: Winnipeg, Newfoundland, Hamilton St. John's Canada Kamloops Northern Ontario Red Deer Alberta

Comments

Comments

• Roger
    July 02, 2010 - 13:35

Guys,
    What s all the fuss?
    Robin Short is jus trying to stir things up, the only thing he's good at.
    Brad & Jamie, Have a good summer and I see you on the ice next year, maybe the same time.

• DB
    July 02, 2010 - 13:35

I agree curling is not a sport just a game like darts. But there a plenty of NLers who feel the need tear down a successful fellow NLer and see them fail.

• Margaret
    July 02, 2010 - 13:34

Schrille...his girlfriend, and too difficult travelling so much !
    Noftall...young family, and situation of being a replacement for Korab !
    You, yourself, got a young family.
    They both knew that before accepting
    to be on the Gushue Team last year.
    Their leaving is just more snow being
    added to the out-of-control snowball,
    though certainly not any great surprise.
    Next season I don't think I am even going to bother following the curling any more, exept maybe to see how Korab is doing.

• Bert
    July 02, 2010 - 13:33

Without taking sides I would like an answer to a couple questions...1. If the chemistry wasn't there with Jamie and Mike Adam, how was it that they won the national at a very young age against much more experienced curlers. Than went on to win the Olymipic Gold with them and Russ. I'm just an armchair curler much like a lot of the experts here who are critizing the armchair curlers. Do any of you so called experts ever watch an NHL hockey game a call players stupid for the plays they make....I wonder. For God's sake get a life and don't pretend Gushue is something he is not.. Whatever the reason he got rid of Mike and Jamie it wasn't because of not being able to curl together. If they stayed together imagine what they would have been like in ten years from now with all the experience to go along with thei God given skill.

• MP
    July 02, 2010 - 13:33

I'm sick of hearing about Brad Gushue and his so called sport of sliding rocks down a sheet of ice. I couldn't care less who he chooses to throw rcoks on ice with, but he sure does have a lot of terms and conditions to meet if you want to be the lucky one to throw rocks down a sheet of ice with him.

• Sherry
    July 02, 2010 - 13:32

I couldn't be any happier today about this news! I think it is a real show of sportsmanship when you can put past differences to bed, and get on with building something great again! I say good for Brad, Mark and Jamie! If they are able to capture what they had before, and they have the support of the province behind them (not cynics), then Olympic Gold will be in there grasp again.
    Go get them together boys!

July 02, 2010 - 13:32

Actually, it seems the dumb one here is Gushue, for making the mistake of getting rid of Korab in the first place. Brad must like the taste of crow, cause he's sure having a hearty serving now of it now.

Korab must be having quite a chuckle now. I know the rest of the province certainly is.... You go Brad. Ha, ha.

• Curling Fan
    July 02, 2010 - 13:31

I'm glad to hear that Gushue & Korab may play together again. A lot of people are blaming Brad for the split but if they read the comments from Korab as well they would realize that he takes some of the blame himself. We should be supportive of our great curling team and not so quick to criticize.

• Paul
    July 02, 2010 - 13:30

TED M,
    Your last post proves how smart you really are. and how correct David is in his previous comments.
    Go Gushue and Welcome back Korab...the new team sounds like it can go all the way

• Leah
    July 02, 2010 - 13:30

Brad, I doubt that you are reading these
    comments; however,
    please...lighten up a little bit, for heavens sake.

• jim
    July 02, 2010 - 13:29

A line-up change seemed necessary and inevitable. Despite the cost in ego/reputation and CTRS points [-35 for 2007/08]. I'm certain that both Brad and Jamie have learned from the experience.

Great to see Jamie back. Ryan is a solid player. So everything said, Gushue/Nichols/Fry/Korab is a very credilbe foursome ... maybe the best team Brad's ever tossed last rocks for! Should be exciting to watch in 2008/09 ... and hopefully beyond.

• Glen
    July 02, 2010 - 13:28

As a curler myself for many years, I have watched the game of curling evolve into a sport. While it is true that curling is a game, make no mistake...curling is definitely a sport. There is a definite skill to executing difficult shots and certainly there is a strategy involved in each and every end. Although the curlers you are seeing on TV make shots look easy, I can tell you that often they are not. Present day curling at the competitive level involves physical and mental conditioning and copious hours of practice. It is a long term commitment for each individual player on the team. If you have not curled at a competitive level, you would not know the amount of work and dedication it takes to win a provincial, national or world title. And certainly to make it to the Olympic Games. Indeed, curling is very much a sport.

As for Korab, I am happy to see him back. Ryan Fry will make a strong addition to the team. Gushue did not seem as strong this year and I had hoped that they would get Korab back. Kudos to those boys for getting past their difficulties and moving forward. I have met Brad Gushue many times and Mark Nichols is from my hometown in Labrador. These boys are quite level-headed and all around nice young fellows. Brad certainly does display an arrogant front. As Newfoundlanders, we should be rallying behind our guys...for sure they have put NFLD on the curling m,ap in a big way. They should be commended...not ridiculed

• Chuck
    July 02, 2010 - 13:27

Come on, people! It's only curling! Keep the silly comments coming thought, they are priceless!

• Krista
    July 02, 2010 - 13:26

I cannot believe how everyone jumps on Gushue. Do any of you people actually curl? Teams change, people change, priorities change and if it's not working, you change it! Jamie over-reacted last year, he's come out and said as much, and guess what he's over it! So perhaps everyone else should get a life and move on as well....
    I've been living away from the rock for 10 years now, and I forgot how much we love to kick our own.
    Come September I'll being cheering for Brad and co. again, hopefully I won't be the only one on that bandwagon!

• Glen
    July 02, 2010 - 13:25

Sorry...I meant to say in my previous comments that Brad does NOT display an arrogant front. Sorry Brad..that was just bad typing skills shining through!

• Armchair
    July 02, 2010 - 13:25

Ted M, have you googled armchair athlete yet to get a definition. eli googoo, go buy some soap to wash your dirty uneducated mouth out. Oh, and Bert, 2 comes after 1. Peace Out!!!

• Sara
    July 02, 2010 - 13:24

Everyone got to learn to let go what happend and move forward. That is what they are doing so stop being so stupid. Brad made a call that he though was right for that team, I am just hoping that if they do get back together that they can get along and pull through it next time. Go TEAM

• David
    July 02, 2010 - 13:21

I'm confused Ted, you wrote

Actually Dave, I'm not an armchair curler. I don't even curl.

Ted my man, apparently you don't know what an armchair curler or armchair athlete of any kind is. And/Or is it like I said, you don't even watch curling?

What an attitiude you have. Two people realize they mad a mistake, are BOTH willing to change and get back together for the better of their team/relationship and you say it's better to remain enemies. Wow, is it really you Danny or is your name Stephen?

• Bert
    July 02, 2010 - 13:20

Mr. Armchair Athletic aka. Gutless wonder without a name, You are right that 2 comes after 1, I guess you got that just before you graduated from reform school. See we can all get a little nasty like you once in a while. When are you having your reform school reunion? You must have a lot of friends to invite.....Peace

July 02, 2010 - 13:20

Adam ,
    Yeah, I'm sure. Perhaps you should read it again. And when yopu're done, read it a couple of more times.

It's pretty funny how Gushue says that certains conditions must be met. Who does this guy think he is anyway?

• Andrew
    July 02, 2010 - 13:20

Ted your something else. It sounds like you spend way too much time playing with your Rocks and you have Hurried Hard way too many times. These two guys are grown men and they will do what works for them. So Ted just CURL up in your little chair after you SWEEP the crap as close to the CENTRE of the HOUSE as you can. The SKIP will come behind you and try to finish cleaning up any mess you leave. Remember Ted its not the size of the ROCKS its all about how your can CURL them.

• David
    July 02, 2010 - 13:19

You cynics are idiots. You criticize without having anywhere near all the facts. Korab is not squeaky clean and Gushue is not nearly as bad you guys make him out to be. You praise other curlers saying they have class when they do/did the same as Gushue. Gushue certainly has his issues but he is entitled to put a team together any way he wants. I don't see you guys criticizing Mark Nicholls who makes the decisions along with Brad. Mark is arguably the best third in the world, and Brad is Top 5 in skips, so let them find the right front end and they could win another Olympic Gold for us. Kevin Martin made changes and it certainly worked for him this year. By the way, this is the same Kevin Martin that all of you cynics praised as having so much class yet makes the same decisions as Brad Gushue. You guys are pathetic.

• Scott
    July 02, 2010 - 13:19

I think is a great move for Brad. The team will be strong and give this province the best chance of getting a Brier championship. I think the province is lucky to have a guy like Brad who is fully commited to winning. Brad is a respectful guy and his work over the past years should be commended. He helped win us a Gold Medel and I think we should support his decisions as he is our present and future in this province...Good luck next year Brad.

• marie
    July 02, 2010 - 13:19

I agree with Ted---tell Gushue to shove it. He seems to be replacing everyone, did it ever occur to him that his ego may not be leaving any room on the ice for anyone else.

• Sean
    July 02, 2010 - 13:17

All of the people who have negative feedback on this are clearly not curlers. Its pretty easy to tell who they are cause they dont have a sweet clue what they are talking about. You step inside the walls of a Curling Club here in town and its nothing but positivity and support for Brad and whatever decisions he makes. As long as people who understand how Curling works are supportive, thats all that really matters essentially. People hate to see people getting ahead! Thats pretty unfortunate. I wish Brad, Mark, Ryan and Jamie the best of luck and success in the 2008/2009 Season.

• Blair
    July 02, 2010 - 13:17

Come on Ted, Curling takes alot of eye hand co-ordination, and an extraordinary amount of feel, the definition of any sport. Please dont compare it to checkers, you idiot you.

• Fred
    July 02, 2010 - 13:17

Ted,

For someone who doesn't even think curling is a sport, you sure are passionate about Korab's situation.

Korab would be crazy not to return and play with Gushue and Nichols. Unless he's satisfied with not winning another provincial title. Where did team Korab finish this year?

Brad and Mark are the best curlers this province has ever seen, and they will continue to represent the province whether or not Korab returns to the team.

I think it's great that those 3 have apparently burried the past and are willing to move forward together. Best of Luck Team NL!!

July 02, 2010 - 13:15

If I were Korab, I'd tell Gushue to take his broom and shove it.

July 02, 2010 - 13:14

David from NL,
    Calm down by', before you wet your pants. Yeah, Gushue can put together whatever teams he wants, and Korab has the perogative of telling Gushue to shove it if he chooses. He would have to be retarded to go back with him. So what's your problem?

It seems to me that Brad was a little too over-zealous in removing Korab. Now now that some of the shine is lost, he wants Korab back. Is Korab supposed to fell honored by this gesture?Well tough Sh#t! Suck it up.

• Ethel
    July 02, 2010 - 13:14

Ted, please define a real sport.

• Johnny
    July 02, 2010 - 13:14

Now that the accolades for Gushue are dwindling, Brud is looking to refurbish his winning ways again. I feel the reason he is entertaining the notion of bringing back Jamie Korab is for one reason and one reson only and thats for himself. I think Brad is smart enough to realize, that the province pretty well has no respect for him. Prior to Guhue and Mark Nicholls sacking Korab I had the utmost respect for these individuals. Now these guys disgust me. The team may have won Olympic Gold but to me it is no more than Fools Gold. Jamie you do what ever makes you happy. For me, I will never cheer for a team that Brad Gushue skips again.

• David
    July 02, 2010 - 13:13

Ted my boy, I am calm and thinking clearly. You however, need to read to understand. First, the split with Korab was as much or more Korab's fault. No matter how much discussion takes place on the ice, the skip makes the final call. All the good teams operate this way. Jamie was getting too vocal for a front end player. Have your say then shut up. You and the other armchair curlers need to realize this and I use the term, armchair curler, quite loosely as from your comments, I doubt you even watch the sport, let alone curl yourself. Jamie realized this and this is why he is not retarded as you would say to go back with Gushue and Nicholls. Likewise I never said Korab should feel honoured by being asked to come back. As long as they are all on the same page, I'm glad they're back together if it means moving forward, something that you don't know anything about it seems.

• Andria
    July 02, 2010 - 13:12

Ted you really have no life do you? It seems all you have to do is spend the day here and impress all of us with your stupidity. fact is who really cares if they get back together or not. This isnt about us its about them. Give them time they will work it out.

• Todd
    July 02, 2010 - 13:12

***sighs*** Everything is in grey area. Nothing is wrong and nothing is right. Up to them. Stop pointing fingers. Mind your own business.

• Adam
    July 02, 2010 - 13:11

Ted M - Are any of you sure it is not Korab wanting back with Gushue and not the other way around!!!! Read the article again!

July 02, 2010 - 13:10

It's amusing listening to all the curling fans of all people (all 10 of them), calling me an armchair athlete.

For God's sake, watch a real sport, as opposed one played by a grand total of about 50 people world-wide... 45 of them in Canada.

• Don
    July 02, 2010 - 13:10

Great move Brad. I'm sure the chemistry will be back very quickly and your team will have tremendous success. Best of luck next year and please know that the real fans of our province are proud of you and behind you 100%.

July 02, 2010 - 13:10

David from NL,
    Actually Dave, I'm not an armchair curler. I don't even curl. Furthermore, I'd hardly call it a sport; a game at best. Like checkers.

The issue here is getting turfed off the team. Korab would have to be a fool to hook up with Gushue again. It's not about curling, it's about principles. You seem overlook this point. Which is hardly surprising.

• Mary
    July 02, 2010 - 13:09

All the best in the future Brad and Mark, I love to watch you curl and I wish you a great season next year. My wish is to see you win the Brier and the World Curling Championship before I croak!! You've won an Olympic and Junior World! There are many more fans out there that are for you than against you; the negative comments are from fans who do not understand curling!! Why they take this so personally is beyone me. Go Team Go!!

• Kevin
    July 02, 2010 - 13:09

Ted M, get a life and go do some work or something. Leave the analysis to the boys on TSN.

• Roger
    July 01, 2010 - 20:25

Guys,
    What s all the fuss?
    Robin Short is jus trying to stir things up, the only thing he's good at.

• DB
    July 01, 2010 - 20:25

• Margaret
    July 01, 2010 - 20:23

Schrille...his girlfriend, and too difficult travelling so much !
    Noftall...young family, and situation of being a replacement for Korab !
    You, yourself, got a young family.
    They both knew that before accepting
    to be on the Gushue Team last year.
    Their leaving is just more snow being
    added to the out-of-control snowball,
    though certainly not any great surprise.

• Bert
    July 01, 2010 - 20:22

• MP
    July 01, 2010 - 20:22

• Sherry
    July 01, 2010 - 20:21

Go get them together boys!

July 01, 2010 - 20:21

• Curling Fan
    July 01, 2010 - 20:20

• Paul
    July 01, 2010 - 20:18

TED M,

• Leah
    July 01, 2010 - 20:18

Brad, I doubt that you are reading these
    comments; however,
    please...lighten up a little bit, for heavens sake.

• jim

July 01, 2010 - 20:11

• Sara
    July 01, 2010 - 20:10

• David
    July 01, 2010 - 20:04

I'm confused Ted, you wrote

Actually Dave, I'm not an armchair curler. I don't even curl.

• Bert

• Blair
    July 01, 2010 - 19:58

• Fred
    July 01, 2010 - 19:58

Ted,

July 01, 2010 - 19:55

If I were Korab, I'd tell Gushue to take his broom and shove it.

July 01, 2010 - 19:53

David from NL,

• Ethel
    July 01, 2010 - 19:52

Ted, please define a real sport.

• Johnny