'Republic of Doyle' finale tonight

Staff ~ The Telegram

The final episode of the first season of "Republic of Doyle" will air tonight on CBC television.

"Republic of Doyle" is the one-hour detective series filmed in and around St. John's and featured in CBC's 2009-2010 television season.

The show has already been picked up for a second season by the network.

Wednesday's finale episode opens with Malachy Doyle being wheeled into hospital.

St. John's -

The show has already been picked up for a second season by the network.

Where's Jake? Only finding his brother in a house on Signal Hill, elbow-deep in a pool of blood.

Organizations: CBC

Geographic location: St. John's, Signal Hill

Comments

Comments

• member of the 20%
    July 02, 2010 - 13:31

...Sam, do you really believe the fake and enhanced colours are real and depict sin johns?? drive downtown 'bye and see for yourself...massive potholes; boarded up buildings; windows broken; coffee cups blowing around everywhere; beer cases in the middle of the road; mattresses and sofas in the ditches; large white appliances on doorsteps; deep freezers for garbage boxes; roaming dogs; piles of puke, vomit and doggie doo; everywhere! Look down my son, not around! watch out, oh crap, you stepped in it. Tank jasus its over!

• sam
    July 02, 2010 - 13:27

I don't know where 20% was looking but the city of St. John's is a very colorful place as is the dialect . I for one think that the actors on this show do a fine job and repersent Newfoundland very well , I don't think the show is meant be taken to seriously , so lighten up people

• Wiseman
    July 02, 2010 - 13:19

living in Cambridge, On I look forward to the Republic of Doyle every Wednesday Night. Sometimes I get homesick watching the sights of St. Johns. The characters are great, funny and very much Newfoundlanders. It takes me back to when I worked at The Fishing Admiral years ago. I wish this show very well in the future I know I will always be a fan. Fans are from all over Canada not just Newfondland. Keep up the good work guys, I would hate to see it cancelled

• k
    July 02, 2010 - 13:18

I used to love this show when it followed the storyline of Rose and her ex husband. Now, with this brother added, it is desperate! The poor guy can't act! Also, they need to do something with the daugther and Des character. They are entertaining. The accent on the Constable, now Sargeant, is hard on the nerves. No one in St. John's talks like that. Must be a Mt. Pearl twang! I hope the storyline gets better or the second season will be the last.

• member of the 20%
    July 02, 2010 - 13:17

I tried watching this series, but I can't understand the dialect; is it townie wannabe bayman? or is it bayman wannabe townie? or, mainlander wanna be newfie? and where did they get the colours?? when I look around the city of legends, I see mostly grey, mixed in with doggie-doo brown.

• Nasty
    July 02, 2010 - 13:17

What're Ya At. I needed a Newfie to translate your comment. Was a little Umm, out there....

But that show needs to go, or pick up the script a little.

• CJ
    July 02, 2010 - 13:17

I loves this show! Bring on the second season b'ys!

• Steve
    July 02, 2010 - 13:16

I see the Lobsters are out in full force again, pulling successful Newfoundlanders back to the bottom of the tank.

How about each of you go out and make your own television show. None of ya have enough talent to get a camera in focus i expect. Get a life.

• What're Ya At ?
    July 02, 2010 - 13:15

Red yer comments dis smarnin', kc an' I don't tink dat twang is frum Mt. Pearl cuz if it twas, you wooden be abel to hunderstan nutting. Gonna chek tamarra marnin' to see what dey sezs bout da last hepisode of Republick of Dyle. Das sum good show, wha ?? Yes my sun. Dat Jake Dyle is sum good detektiv . Gotta go now & put sum splits in da stove & getta cuppa tea fer me an' da missus cuz we luvs our tea an' Purity jam jams, do we hevver, yes my sun.

• What're Ya At ?
    July 02, 2010 - 13:14

@ Nasty Nate from St. John's; think the dialect was exaggerated ? Listen to the open line shows now and then , at times they're a laugh and a half, as sure as fish is a dollar farty a pound , not a dollar hatey, and dere's no seals hawn da hice fer to go get. On toppa dat , dere's no hee high .

• Carla
    July 02, 2010 - 13:14

I have heard such wonderful things about the show, but its on too late for me to watch. Will there be reruns any time during the summer?

• AR
    July 02, 2010 - 13:12

@ Member of the 20% from NL.: your comments are spot on. In one particular scene on ROD, Jake Doyle and his father knocked on the door of a house in a very upscale area in Mt. Pearl and the door was opened by a sophisticated looking man who asked , in a mainland brogue, ' so what are ye doin' here bys' ? It was painful to watch. They've got to stop that foolishness or they're going to lose viewers.

• member of the 20%
    July 01, 2010 - 20:20

• sam
    July 01, 2010 - 20:15

• Wiseman
    July 01, 2010 - 20:01

• k
    July 01, 2010 - 20:00

• member of the 20%
    July 01, 2010 - 19:58

• Nasty
    July 01, 2010 - 19:57

But that show needs to go, or pick up the script a little.

• CJ
    July 01, 2010 - 19:57

I loves this show! Bring on the second season b'ys!

• Steve