Nowhere to hide

Robin
Robin Short

CURLING/BRIER Loss to B.C. sends Gushue's Newfoundland and Labrador rink to the sidelines

Gushue and his mates - Mark Nichols, Chris Schille and Dave Noftall - got off to a another desperate start in a win-or-die position, only this time Ursel proved he's no Peter Gallant.

Winnipeg - Brad Gushue and his Newfoundland curling team skirted the winds of Portage and Main to walk a Winnipeg tightrope all week, until Bob Ursel and his British Columbia foursome sent Gushue plummeting from the Tim Hortons Brier Friday.

In a tie-breaking game to decide the final playoff spot in the '08 Brier field, Ursel bolted from the starting gate with a steal of three in the first end, leaving Gushue playing catch-up for next 90-plus minutes.

But unlike Thursday night's game when Gushue allowed three points in the first end to Gallant - not to mention a steal of one by the P.E.I. skip in the second - before winning in an extra end, Ursel, the former world junior champ, played a clean game through nine ends for an 8-6 victory.

The loss leaves Gushue with a 7-5 overall record in Winnipeg.

Last year in Hamilton, Ont., Gushue was a combined 9-4 at the Brier, where he lost to Ontario s Glenn Howard in the final.

Story of the week

"That's been the story of the week," Gushue said of the slow start. "We fought tooth and nail to come back, but we had a couple of ends not set up correctly. When you're down 3-0, you need every end and we wasted a couple out there."

Like Gushue, who started the week 0-2 with losses to Ontario and Saskatchewan, B.C. opened the Brier with three straight setbacks. With the win over Newfoundland, Ursel's team pockets a $20,000 fourth-place prize (the top two teams each receive $40,000, $30,000 to the third-place team).

It's been an up and down year for Gushue, beginning with a win at the Baden Masters in Switzerland. The team followed up with a loss in the final to Howard at the Shorty Jenkins Classic in Brockville, Ont. and a berth in the quarter-finals at Gander's Don Bartlett Classic.

There was another two playoff spots in World Curling Tour events, but the team slumped with losing records in three straight spiels prior to Christmas.

Gushue was buoyed by his team s play at the Canada Cup where the foursome registered wins over Howard, Randy Ferbey and Kerry Burtnyk to reach the semifinals, where it lost to Kevin Martin s red-hot group which curled close to 100 per cent.

"I'm not sure what it is," he said. "The ice was just as good as it was last week (in Kamloops, B.C. at the Canada Cup), the teams are just as good might have even been better than at the Canada Cup.

"It's strange. It really is. I expected us to play much better at the beginning of the week and be a lot more consistent that what we were.

"It's one of our poorest performances of the year, one of the many poor ones.

"We've been very streaky. We have some good weeks and some bad weeks. This was a bad week, but we scraped out a lot of wins that we probably shouldn't have had.

"The positive we'll take from this is we never gave up to get where we were.

"To play as poorly as we did, to get to a tie-breaker in this field is okay. I'm digging deep for some positives out of this, I guess."

Gushue, Nichols and Schille will play in the WCT's Bear Mountain Arena Classic April 3-6 in Victoria, B.C. Noftall is unavailable because of work commitments and Gushue's unsure who he'll add to the roster.

The curlers only decided this week to play Victoria to add more points on the Canadian Team Ranking System, so important in their quest to gain a spot in the pre-Olympic Trials in 2009.

As a result of their performance in Winnipeg, they ll climb past Ferbey and Jeff Stoughton on the CTRS.

"We want to get a cushion towards the end of the year to get as high as we can," he said.

They'll close the season at the Tylenol Players Championship April 15-20 at Mile One Centre in St. John's.

In the meantime, defending champion Glenn Howard of Ontario made a clutch shot in the eighth end to score three points and went on to defeat Ursel 9-7 in a playoff game Friday afternoon.

rshort@thetelegram.com

Organizations: Canadian Team Ranking System

Geographic location: Winnipeg, Newfoundland and Labrador, Ontario British Columbia Canada Hamilton Saskatchewan Switzerland Brockville Victoria Kamloops St. John's

Comments

Comments

• Gerald
    July 02, 2010 - 13:34

Well, well alberta, your too stunned to use upper case letters. speaks volumes for you and your education system in Alberta. I guess all that oil money can't raise an I.Q. Come to NL and you'll be the first person in Canada to lower the collective I Q's of both provinces. PS we all should leave the decision making of team make-up, strategy etc. to the team itself. How many of Brda's critics have played at that level of competition?

• Mark
    July 02, 2010 - 13:33

I have no problem with Chris (AB) joining Team Gushue (NL) but why change something that is not broken. I just dont understand the reason for getting rid of Korab. I know Jamie really well and this kid is a team player and has great class. He is a proven player in the world of curling. Jamie is a leader and I wonder if the Gushue could not handle someone stating there opinion. I know Brad frm taking some university classes with him and I think his ego might have gotten in the way. A leader listens to his players and value's their opinions. I do know one thing, Korab would have not left the rock short of the line, ouch, too bad Gushue.

By the way Alberta ......NL is a great place , full of great people and I am sure Alberta is the same.

• Doug
    July 02, 2010 - 13:32

No sweat Brad. Keep getting the points you need to qualify for the big one again. You'll have lots of chances for the Brier.

• Alberta
    July 02, 2010 - 13:30

I am regularily a really nice person and hate that I had to sink to your provinces level. The point that I am trying to make is that you have attacked Chris from day one. He was never given a chance and has faced nothing but, public scrutiny and bashing from the people from NL. How does it feel to be attacked by someone who doesn't know that many of you? and not even well. Thats how he felt. Sucks doesn't it. Think about why he finally lashed out. Because he has been attacked for being asked to curl on a team. It's so silly. I never knew NL to be so harsh. I just you see how it feels.

• Beavs
    July 02, 2010 - 13:28

It amazes me how excited some people get about posted comments.

Relax. It's only the friggin' internet. It's 99.9% fiction and 0.1% reality.

• eli
    July 02, 2010 - 13:28

Alberta and NFLD

Nl. literacy rate 45%

Alberta Red neckrate 99%

don't we deserve each other, both places crazy, curling is not even a sport. Brad and Schille are sissies.

• J
    July 02, 2010 - 13:28

If you have been following these posts all week, which I have, Alberta from Alberta stated earlier in the week that she was Chris' sister. How many sisters does this guy have?????

• alberta
    July 02, 2010 - 13:27

Hope your idiot uneducated sinking province is happy, if it weren't for the non-stop ridicule by the media (if you can call them that) and fans, there may have been a different outcome. Way to go and hats off to you. You don't deserve the title anyway. Brad and his team do for having to wear that ridiculous shirt that represents you all. Thank you too all the people who were behind them..it shows that there is still an ounce of class in that province. I don't mean to come down on that small percentage but, you have to understand that after the treatment of Schille, this is the way the rest of the real world feels about NL. Try to accept others and they may accept you back. Don't pride yourself too hard on being the friendliest province because we all now know thats the farthest thing from the truth. You should be ashamed of the fact that grown adults tryed to ruin a young athletes dream of playing for an amazing skip, and equally amazingly talented team. again way to go, you got what you want and you can go back to no one knowing who you are or caring. Just the way you like it. From a Mainlander which by the way is wierd and immature. We are all people from Canada, except to you. Get some education.

• M
    July 02, 2010 - 13:27

Does any one really care about these blogs or even make a comment. I doubt it. So why the waste of money and resourses, oh but it will mean a free meal for Robin when he goes away so why not go away, right Robin. Actually you should write articles here in St. John's every day, but that may take some time and effort to think about what to write, and heaven forbid Robin may actually have to work. Sorry but I say it like I see it, and this is what I see, it has been going on for years , no local sports in the paper. Why , because it take a bit of effort, and you reporters do not want to exert any energy or thought - too bad

• Dave
    July 02, 2010 - 13:26

Well Alberta from Alberta, if you hate NL so much, why are you taking the time to read our local newspaper and make post after post after post?? Seems like you're the one who has nothing better to do then surf the internet and bash other people. If we are such a horrible province, why has an Alberta boy decided to come play in NL and wear NL on his back at a national competiton. According to you, wouldn't that be a horrible horrible shame for someone from Alberta... because you know, Newfoundland is such a horrible rotten place, why would anyone want to have their name associated with it?
    How many gold medal winning Curling teams has Alberta produced?? Oh right, zero!
    If Newfoundlanders don't have an education, how come they are being asked to go out and take top jobs with Alberta companies???
    Have you actually even been to Newfoundland?

• Alberta
    July 02, 2010 - 13:26

Wow, I can't beleive you were able to read that whole posting, what with your 0 education that you offer in that province. Remember who finances your whole province sure isn't your sinking economy. Ha, your a joke and the whole country thinks so. People in the decent part of the country have even asked me what newfoundland has to offer and what it is they do on a rock with no jobs,or decent pay.I say they drink and sit on the internet and trash the 4 decent athletes they have. People like Jeff give the whole province the reputation they have. Good on ya, just go back to your morning screech and wait for postings loser. Cheer against your home team to the point of embarrassment and maybe if you can try to think of ways to hate the rest of the country more than you already do. People really do hate your province it's a fact. You should all be ashamed of the way you ahve treated those guys. Chris Schille deserves to be on that team and has helped them. It's the pathetic so called fans who did this. Nice work, you'll never have that good of a team come out of there again..and I'm glad. Go back to your what ya at's and whatever else it is that you can't speak in regular english and look in the mirror..judge your own so called friendly province. If it's so great why do half of them live here. huh, something to think about.

• Brad
    July 02, 2010 - 13:24

I've been a baaaad boy....

• W.
    July 02, 2010 - 13:23

Who is this idiot , from Alberta, who didn't put his name on his comments, anyway?I suggest someone find who he is and have him put away in a insane asylum, he is a dangerous person to have walking the cow paths of Alberta!!!!

• Lee
    July 02, 2010 - 13:21

Art, from St. Joseph's, NL, your comment
    wasn't printed. St. Joseph's is where
    Brad's parents are from, and he has a
    grandmother still residing there.

• Ellen
    July 02, 2010 - 13:21

well done Brad. you and your team are still winners .we are proud of you all. ignore the negative and enjoy the positive There are so many negative prople every where but we just have to show them that we are real forgiving people . Brad walk with your head held high. NL'ers are very proud of you and the team. Looking forward to see you play and win again . remember we can't win em all either games or people. God Bless you and your team and families.

• Amanda Schille
    July 02, 2010 - 13:21

Hey everybody! I was told this morning of everything that has been going on here, and after reading all the comments..I wanted to be the first to say that not all people feel the way Alberta feels. I am dissapointed with certain comments that have been made about my brother but, that's what comes along with being in the public eye anywhere..and he knows that. I know he has been hurt, and upset but, puts his passion for the sport above that and carries on. Thank you for the people that have supported him and the Gushue rink. I know it means alot to them. I have met many Newfoundlanders, through the Briar last year and have to say I had a blast. There is ignorance everywhere, no matter where you go, it will be. Take care of my little bother, if you got to know him, I know you'd like him. Remember he is someones child and someones brother and it hurts us too. Thank you for taking the time to read this.. and I hope to see what I've heard is a beautiful part of our country.

Amanda Schille

• Seageezer
    July 02, 2010 - 13:21

It is nice to finally see some positive comments about this very talented curling team. They have been great ambassadors for this province and country over the past few years.

Hopefully, the Gushue team will learn a valuable lesson from this years Brier and come back even stronger next year. We are desperate for another Brier win.

Keep up the great work ethic lads, you guys are the present and future of NL curling!!!!

Maybe next time we (as Newfoundlanders and Labradorians) can show our true spirit and support for these fine, young gentlemen.

Rock-On-Team-Gushue!!!!!

• John W.
    July 02, 2010 - 13:20

I agree with Doug from Newfoundland. You lose a few and you win a few. Here's looking forward to your next brier Brad. Good luck.

• BB
    July 02, 2010 - 13:20

Before writing here, I took the time to go back and read the articles and other comments from the past week. I was shocked to see some of the comments that were directed at Brad and his team. It's surprising to see so many people holding grudges against a very talented team over a change in players or the fact that one player is from another province.

Living here in Winnipeg (a hotbed of curling) and watching the brier this week, you only have to listen carefully to the commentators to know that most of the teams have players that are not necessarily from the province they are now wearing on their back or that these teams have not changed members in the past couple of years (Ex. John Morris was born in MB, won a junior title with ON, and now curls forAB. Bob Ursel from BC was originally from MB. Quebec changed a key player this past year. Martin and Burtnyk have changed up their team). When a change in personnel happens to a team here in Winnipeg, we read about it in the media, but there is none of the backlash that some people from NL are making. It's important to remember that this is a sport.

I've attended the brier this week, and believe Team Gushue is a great addition to the Canadian Championships. Although I read negativity in the comments here, they are actually a popular team with fans across the country. At the opening last weekend, they received one of the loudest welcomes from the crowd (after the local team, of course). When people are talking about the different games, I've heard many local people say they like the team and wanted to see Team Gushue do well this week, and were disappointed to see them lose yesterday.

I realize not all NLers are treating Team Gushue with negativity, but those who do are not painting a good picture of NL. Alberta from Alberta's comments were demeaning and uneducated (in terms of this person's knowledge of NL), but many NLer's responded with a similar lack of composure. Thankfully, I realize that neither represents the majority of people from either province.

After watching so many NLers leave their province and move to Alberta, I think it's great that Chris did the reverse. These four guys represent the province of NL, and wear the colors proudly. When at the brier this week, they have all been friendly and courteous to the fans. Chris waves and smiles every time I saw him notice a NL flag or NLer wish him well. Sure the team struggled this week, but they held their heads high in doing so. I applaud each of them for the extra work they have to do to curl at this level and make sacrifices in their own personal lives. I look forward to seeing Team Gushue in the coming years.

While they may not be appreciated by everyone in NL, there are many across the country who do appreciate and cheer for this team.

• Margaret
    July 02, 2010 - 13:20

Oh my, the past week I've written negative things about Team Gushue,
    however, today I am actually feeling
    somewhat ashamed.

• Jeff
    July 02, 2010 - 13:19

To Alberta from Alberta, look over your message again and notice the spelling mistakes! Who really needs this education that you write about?????

• J.P.
    July 02, 2010 - 13:19

Is there a Web site or Home Page for the Gushue Team?

• John W.
    July 02, 2010 - 13:19

Thanks Beaves. Now you got me wondering. I thought my comment was more than .1% reality. Guess I was wrong.

Anyway Brad, here's hoping we see you back again representing NL next Brier.

• Art
    July 02, 2010 - 13:18

What's all the fuss about?
    I'm a Newfoundlander who has lived in a number of provinces and I have been welcomed with open arms in them all. Come on people put things into prospective. There are hundreds of thousands of Newfoundlanders living in other provinces and I am quite sure many are involved in sports in their adopted home.
    Chris, where ever you travel in this world their are ignorant people. You just need to realize that 99.9% of Newfoundlanders are very proud you are a member of the Gushue team.
    Brad, hold your head high. You have represented your province well and I know you will continue to do so.
    Those of you who have been critical of changes that have been made on this curling team should think about your own lives. We all make changes.
    I would like to complement Amanda Schille.
    Your email was very classy. Many of the people who have posted comments on this site could learn from you.

Art
    From: St. Joseph's Newfoundland

• Laney
    July 02, 2010 - 13:18

Noftall can't play in Victoria because of 'work-commitments'? Wow, this sounds eerily familiar... Well, happy trails Dave... you gave it your all.

• Jeff
    July 02, 2010 - 13:17

To Alberta from Alberta,
    The 4 decent atheletes we have?? Do your homework buddy. Look up the name Rod Snow, and if you ever cross his path, repeat that comment. Oh, and if you plan on doing that, take a spare pair of shorts. Get a life loser.

• J.P.
    July 02, 2010 - 13:16

Everyone loves a winner, but our support is needed far more when there is a loss. Way to go, Brad and your Team for giving it your best!! If it was not to be, there's always another game coming up.

With Brad Gushue being so young and playing against teams with so much more age and experience, the Gushue Team has much to be proud of. Keep up the good work. I was a fan before I met you after the Olympics (during your visit to Moncton) and will always be a fan. Thank you for representing our Province so well.

• Curling
    July 02, 2010 - 13:14

To Jeff from NL.... Here.. Here

• karen
    July 02, 2010 - 13:14

We wonder why there's unresolvable conflict in the middle east ?serbia? Well given the hatred being spewed over a game it's no wonder. wake up people. Keep your heated words to yourself and stop fueling the flames of hate.

• Curling
    July 02, 2010 - 13:14

to Alberta from Alberta.. ???? Whatever... yeah, wierd & immature

• Curling
    July 02, 2010 - 13:13

To Alberta from Alberta.. I think that's enough bashing.... get back to the point.. Curling & the Brier

• Mary
    July 02, 2010 - 13:10

Good luck Brad and team. Brad, remember you are the youngest skip and look how far you've come, you are extremely talented and we love to watch you. You have a bright future! Go, Brad, Go!! We are all so proud of you!

• Jeff
    July 02, 2010 - 13:10

To Dave, I think alberta from alberta might really be a NL'er! He just may be so frustrated with having to leave this wonderful province to get work that he is lashing out at those of us fortunate enough to be able to work and live here. Why else would he be on the internet reading the local newspaper of a province he despises so much (for alberta from alberta, that means to regard with contempt or scorn!). Anyway, I have to get back to my flipper pie and screech and hope my welfare cheque arrives soon!

• Gerald
    July 01, 2010 - 20:24

• Mark
    July 01, 2010 - 20:22

• Doug
    July 01, 2010 - 20:20

• Alberta
    July 01, 2010 - 20:18

• Beavs
    July 01, 2010 - 20:16

It amazes me how excited some people get about posted comments.

Relax. It's only the friggin' internet. It's 99.9% fiction and 0.1% reality.

• eli
    July 01, 2010 - 20:16

Alberta and NFLD

Nl. literacy rate 45%

Alberta Red neckrate 99%

• J
    July 01, 2010 - 20:16

• alberta
    July 01, 2010 - 20:15

• M
    July 01, 2010 - 20:15

• Dave
    July 01, 2010 - 20:14

Have you actually even been to Newfoundland?

• Alberta
    July 01, 2010 - 20:13

• Brad
    July 01, 2010 - 20:10

I've been a baaaad boy....

• W.
    July 01, 2010 - 20:08

• Lee
    July 01, 2010 - 20:05

Art, from St. Joseph's, NL, your comment
    wasn't printed. St. Joseph's is where
    Brad's parents are from, and he has a
    grandmother still residing there.

• Ellen

however, today I am actually feeling
    somewhat ashamed.

• Jeff
    July 01, 2010 - 20:02

• J.P.
    July 01, 2010 - 20:01

Is there a Web site or Home Page for the Gushue Team?

• John W.
    July 01, 2010 - 20:00

Anyway Brad, here's hoping we see you back again representing NL next Brier.

• Art
    July 01, 2010 - 20:00

What's all the fuss about?
    I would like to complement Amanda Schille.

Art