Gushue admits he feels the sting of criticism

Robin
Robin Short

But Ive basically chalked it up to ignorance. They dont know me. They dont know what Im like, says Newfoundland skip

Newfoundland and Labrador sweepers Dave Noftall (left) and Chris Schille follow skip Brad Gushues rock during a game against Manitoba at the Brier Canadian mens curling championship in Winnipeg on Wednesday. Gushue and his rink beat Manitoba 9-4, but lost

By Robin Short

Telegram Sports Editor - Winnipeg

Brad Gushue is more than a curler with the steely glare champions exhibit. He's a 27-year-old who, like most young men his age, cares what others think.

And so Gushue admits he's been stung by the flood of criticism - often outrageous and contemptible - from the online chat rooms, much of it unfolding from this newspaper's web site.

The backlash began when Gushue added Chris Schille - from Red Deer, Alta. - to the team to replace Russ Howard following their Olympic gold medal, overlooking Mike Adam of Labrador City. It was Adam who had stepped back to fifth - or alternate - paving the way for the addition of Howard.

Then came the much ballyhooed dumping of lead Jamie Korab following the Hamilton Brier last year. Gushue, and long-time third Mark Nichols, maintained it was a "chemistry" thing, but it didn't stop the wave of venom aimed at the skip.

Korab was replaced by Dave Noftall, a 20-year veteran of the St. John's curling scene.

"It did last year, when there were some harsh personal comments," Gushue admitted when asked if the criticism stung him.

"But I've basically chalked it up to ignorance. They don't know me. They don't know what I'm like. They don't know what happened within our team. It's just pure aesthetics (that) they're judging me on.

"It's just people being ignorant and I'm not going to worry about those people."

Korab, who curled with Mark Noseworthy this year and spent some time slinging rocks with Guy Hemmings on the World Curling Tour, is in Winnipeg for the Tim Hortons Brier.

Almost a year since the move, many curling fans have still not forgotten.

It's perplexing since curling teams have been known to switch players as often as hockey players change sticks. Alberta's Kevin Martin, who beat Gushue 8-7 Wednesday afternoon, changed his entire team in 2006, breaking apart from long-time mates Don Walchuk, Carter Rycroft and good buddy Don Bartlett of Gander to hook up with John Morris, Marc Kennedy and Ben Hebert.

Jean-Michel Menard dumped his long-time friend and third, Francois Roberge, after that team struggled since winning the Brier in 205. Jason and Colin Mitchell left/were pushed out as Glenn Howard's front end a couple of years ago, replaced by Craig Savill and Brent Laing.

"Kerry (Burtnyk) made the same change we did last year and I didn't hear about it until September," said Gushue, who today calls Paradise home. "It's a little strange, but I can understand because we were the Olympics champions and so-called Newfoundland's team.

"But I was disappointed that people didn't think there was a little bit more to it than what came out in the papers."

Caught in the middle was Schille, who skipped Alberta at the '04 national juniors. Coming from a province where curling ranks up there - but not quite as high - with hockey and football, the 25-year-old second understood the dynamics of sliding players in and out of the lineup.

"And if people in the province can't appreciate someone trying to win with Newfoundland on their back, then they're stupid," he told the Calgary Herald. "I don't understand the people from Newfoundland that don't like what Brad does. If it weren't for him, the province isn't even on the map. If they can't appreciate that, then they're not the right fans."

Schille compared Gushue's moves to the Detroit Red Wings and that NHL team's heavy employment of European players.

"They look 90 per cent Russian and you don't see the Wings' fans crapping on them for that. They love it when they get a guy with a last name ending in V," he said.

Nichols admits the team is aware of what's said and written about it. This being a free country and all, he understands people are entitled to their opinion.

But, added the Labrador City product now living in St. John's, is it's disappointing when it's coming from fellow Newfoundlanders.

"We do nothing but try to represent our province with pride and dignity," he said. "We don't do anything to piss people off. We do this because we love it.

"As for the questionable moves we've made, we did them because we weren't enjoying curling at the time. Why do something when you're not enjoying it? People can think what they want, but it's really disappointing to hear it coming from your own, so to speak.

"They trash Brad and it's a sin because Brad has done nothing wrong. He just wants to win and he wants to put the best possible team together and sometimes you're going to make moves people won't like, but that's the sign of a great competitor.

"If we didn't do it because we were worried about what others would think, we would just as well be sitting at home watching this thing and not playing."

rshort@thetelegram.com

Organizations: World Curling Tour, Calgary Herald, Detroit Red Wings NHL

Geographic location: Newfoundland, Winnipeg, St. John's Red Deer Alberta Gander

Comments

Comments

• Hawk
    July 02, 2010 - 13:35

Keith Ryan of Labrador was a member of the Gushue rink, when they won the event that qualified them to play in the Olympic trials. And he was cut from the team and then replaced by Mike Adam, Mike then step aside to allow Russ Howard to play.

And after the Olympics, Mike Adam said in the media that he was moving on to other things in his life, school etc.

I have no inside info, just the facts, and I guess I paid a little more attention to the goings on of this team, prior to them winning the medal, unlike some others here.

Welcome aboard the bandwagon!!!

• CJ
    July 02, 2010 - 13:35

Brent, the truth hurts. As a Newfoundlander, I don't like what Schille has said in my heart, but in my mind, I don't think he is too far off.

From the comments I heard yesterday and today, I bet that half of the people posting here haven't even seen Brad throw a rock at a live event. So how can you really judge a person that you have no idea who they are or what is going on with their team? Seems more than just a little unfair to me.

I really believe Ted has some very valid points in what he is saying.

• Dan
    July 02, 2010 - 13:35

Sometimes Brad is his own worst enemy.Some of his comments come across as boastful and a little self-centered. However he is our best curler ever and should be recognized so. He also should have worked things out with Korab, he added color and character to the team. As for this Schille guy he would best serve his team by keeping his mouth shut - he adds absolutely nothing to his team. As for the Wings, Schille is far off and he probably thinks Sweden and Russia are the same country.

• gene
    July 02, 2010 - 13:34

Hawk, in 1976 Paul was 33 years old. But my point was just to compare. That Olympic team could have been as nostalgic as the 72 team, 36 years from now. Firing that young teammate is hard for most of us to forgive.

• Tony
    July 02, 2010 - 13:34

CHRIS SCHILLE is a LOSER! NL wouldn't be on the map? Who is this guy? First of all the Detroit Red Wings have nobody on their team with their last name ending in V and they only have one Russian. *Thumbs Up* Sounding really smart so far Schille.

I seriously hope that when this team is announced at Mile One that they Boo this guy something fierce. He was trash all Tourney and then he goes and says this to the teams local media....what an un-intelligent arrogant mainlander!

Good Luck with your NL Fan Base Schille! You'll need it!

• Kim
    July 02, 2010 - 13:34

Hi Brad, Mark, Chris, & Dave another wonderful day AGAIN today. First of all I would like to say that I thought this site was for curling NOT HOCKEY, I am sick to death of all the negative remarks about team NL, (get a life you guys and settle down) If 1/4 of you NEGATIVE writers out there had just half of what team NL has in there litte finger you might get somewhere!!
    Chris left his home in Ab to move to NL and this is what he gets (SHAME ON YOU)
    Brad knows what is best for the team, all that other stuff is water under the bridge you can't turn back time, more importantly it is none of our BUSINESS Brad knows what is best for his team, and if Korab is that great how come he is not holding the broom at the brier? He had his chance. We only get to watch a week of the best curling of the year settle down and enjoy the game.

• Hawk
    July 02, 2010 - 13:32

Nobody outside of the team and coaches even knows why they made the decision to cut Korab, and as a rational person, you would assume that there was a valid reason for doing so. They didn't just say to one another, Lets cut him for the hell of it

So your saying Brad is not loyal, and you same people are turning your back on him and the team, yet none of you have any idea what happened behind closed doors. I really don't think you people should be the judges of LOYALTY!!!!

• David
    July 02, 2010 - 13:32

You people who are not cheering for Newfoundland because you don't like Gushue have something wrong with your heads. Most of the reasons you are giving are hypocritical. Would you rather have somone else there going 3-8 like we did most years before Gushue came along. He's by far the best we can send to the Brier. I'll bet most of you critics didn't know what a curling rock was before Brad came along.

And for those of you who are slagging the front end, well Noftall is curling 85% for the week, one % point from 4th among all the Leads and he is only 1 of 4 leads to have a game in the 90%+ range. Schille is curling 84% one pont from 3rd among the seconds, he has 2 of the top five single game %s with Marc Kennedy of AB having the other 3. Wow, what a a terrible front end!

• Brent
    July 02, 2010 - 13:30

I don't think you should call any fans stupid, Mr. Schille. And to say that Newfoundland and Labrador wouldn't be on the map if not for Brad is not going to win you any fans.

• Denise
    July 02, 2010 - 13:30

Margaret you are so right. They got to the final last year with Jamie on the team. This year no Jamie--no Brier final. I never watched the game yesterday between BC and NL but from what I have heard Chris's counterpart on the BC team basically clobbered him.

• Jane
    July 02, 2010 - 13:29

I think that the way brad had dealed with korab , is the problem, why most ppl are against him. i think if he had done it in a different manner, it wouldn't be showing the backlash ppl are giving him now. i also felt it , when he did it, that it showed that it all went to his head, no one was greater than him but i still watch him, and hope he does well, no matter who his teammates are.

• David
    July 02, 2010 - 13:29

I see none of the critics have responded to my comments or the stats I provided on Schille and Noftall. I guess it's hard to argue with numbers and when you're right, you're right!

• Beavs
    July 02, 2010 - 13:28

Who the hell cares?

• gene
    July 02, 2010 - 13:26

Imagine after winning the 1972 Canada Russia series, Canada fires Paul Henderson.
    For a team to reach the ultimate summit of Olympic gold, and then to fire a team mate seems nuts to me.

• Craig
    July 02, 2010 - 13:26

Brad, here's your statement,

''Gushue put personal success above loyalty -- I will never support him or the team again''

Name one team in any league that is ''loyal'' to their players. Korab is NOT a Steve Yzerman, Martin Brodeur Mike Madano, John Elway or Brett Favre who after years of performing WELL, have earned the right to be a franchise player.

Korab is not a franchise player you build a team around.

Players are traded everyday, are they betrayed as well?? I guess Ray Borque asking the Boston Bruins to trade him to a Stanley Cup contender the year he retired was disloyal??

What BS you are preaching!

There is a difference between being loyal and producing and being loyal and under-performing. Korab for whatever reasons was not performing as well as he did in the past and Brad made what I'm sure was a tough decision to cut him lose.

Why does Brad come out self-absorbed and unemotional? Because in all sports, even poker, you leave emotion at the door. The only thing Brad and any other curler or athlete cares about is ensuring himself and his teammates do their job right. If they don't, you try to fix it, and it can't be fixed, you make a change.

Are you implying if Korab sucked and missed shots constantly Brad should not have let him go simply because he's a nice guy and he would rather be loyal than never win another title again?? Give me a break!

• Jeff
    July 02, 2010 - 13:26

Mr. Schille,
    I don't know if you will ever read this, but your little comment about people being stupid and Brad putting Newfoundland on the map, I think that just proves your intelligence and ignorance. Newfoundland was on the map long before you were ever a thought. It is obvious that you have never witnessed and experienced the people, and the culture of the great province of Newfoundland. If you ask anyone that has ever visited our province, you will find out that we are the warmest, most down to earth people they have ever met. Our unique style of music and our beautiful scenery, that my friend, is what put Newfoundland and Labrador on the map. We as a province, are proud of Brad and his accomplishments, but he surely did not put our home on the map.

• Wingsfan
    July 02, 2010 - 13:26

Mr. Schille,

The wings certainly have been successful over the past decade or more, largely due to the influx of Europeans. Oddly enough though, none have ever written in the local Detroit papers that if it wasn't for Steve Yzerman or Chris Chelilos, or Chris Osgood, that Detroit wouldn't be on the map. And you stated they look 90% Russian, their current team has one Russian (Pavel Datsyuk), and guess what Mr. Schille, they have Zero players with a last name ending in V.

It seems you know just as much about the Detroit Red Wings as you do about Newfoundland. Just because you are wearing Newfoundland's colors, doesn't make you a Newfoundlander.

And that fans are stupid..........Newfoundlanders don't take too well to those comments either. We do appreciate what Brad is doing, he's representing our province at the Brier, we cheer for our own. It'll be the last time I cheer for you.

• Jake
    July 02, 2010 - 13:25

I knew it would be a good show....

But i can't help myself.

For all those the poor jamie bandwagon, from what i heard he was out of shape, did not practice, and lost the edge. When challenged, confrontation occurred. if you were a NHLer, what would they do to you?

Gushue made the right choices. Who cares if Schille is not from here. His only mistake was trying to smooth things and rationalize.... which we all know is not possible, given the audience.

It seems that our greatest strengths is poking holes in the good things we have. complaining about raw deals. mainlanders..... whatever.

You don't keep a player for nostalgia... or for where he was born. It's about performance and future goals. Obviously, Gushue had a vision, and is going after that. Good for him.

Top athletes do that.

Jake

• Wingsfan
    July 02, 2010 - 13:25

Don't speak to soon, Cleary's already being talked about to represent Canada's Hockey team at the 2010 olympics in Vancouver. If you think for one second that curling will overshadow hockey in newfoundland think again.

Well 75% of a newfoundland curling team.

• gary
    July 02, 2010 - 13:25

Correct me if I am wrong; but don't 'nfld' softball teams use imports at national tounaments replacing local players. I am sure there are rules about the number of such 'not from here' players in all national sports from curling to hockey. Personally, I would not go outside the province to find replacements but that is up to whomever is in charge of the team,in this case Gushue.
    In regards to Gushue vs. Korab, that is between them and, yes, I was cheering for the Noseworthy rink to win. But I am hoping for Gushue to do well.Maybe someday he will repent and bring a newfie back onto the team.
    In regards to Schille's comments,I suggest we ignore them, since he is probably not going to stay with the team anyway.But do show him the true Newfoundland respect and hospitality we are known for.

• CJ
    July 02, 2010 - 13:25

Brad, I can only assume that you are a Leafs fan as well. You must be really happy with Sundin's decision to stay and be a Leaf for the rest of his career. Lord knows that Sundin is never going to win in a Bud's uni.

In competitive sports, it is all about the W's (wins). If you are not there to get better and win, why are you even playing. If you want to make friends, maybe it's time to get your buddies together for a night out.

• Dave
    July 02, 2010 - 13:24

I know some people would love to see a purebred team of 4 Newfoundlanders go out there and win the Brier, but that's not up to us. That's up to Brad and his teammates to decide who they want to play with and if they believe that talent somewhere else could provide that extra bit of talent they need then so be it.

Let me put it this way, if you had to choose a line mate between Danny Cleary and Wayne Gretzky, who would you choose? Let's assume, both players are in the prime of their careers. No offence to Danny, but I would choose Gretzky every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Now I'm not comparing Mr. Schille to Gretzky, far from it. But if Team Gushue recognizes that Schille does bring something to the table then we should respect their decision because they know what they are looking for, not us.

As for the Paul Henderson comment, correct me if I'm wrong but he is still not in the Hockey Hall of Fame?

Here are Paul's stats for anyone who is interested,

As you can see, in his NHL Career he averaged .67 points per game, not really HHOF worthy.... BUT he did score what is the most important goal in Canadian Hockey history. It's a shame he is not in the hall of fame, but not including the 1972 goal in the decision, I'm sorry to say, his stats show he was your average player, not a great hockey player.

If the Hall of Fame inducted players based on a goal that affected Hockey History forever, then you would have to include Ron Hextall for being the first goalie to score a goal based on principle.

• Kent
    July 02, 2010 - 13:24

Gene,

Are you the Scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz???? Find a brain man!!! Hard for most of us to forgive ! GIVE ME A BREAK!!

• phil
    July 02, 2010 - 13:23

Well I would like to say I an glad that Brad did not win , he got rid of some of the Gold Medal team , do he think he was the only person who won that gold medal .Brad it looks good on you .

• Brad
    July 02, 2010 - 13:22

I stopped rooting for Gushue the moment he inserted the blade in Korab's back. I do not call them a NL team and I actually root against them now. They are everything that NL doesn't stand for. I hope they never win a game again. Gushue put personal success above loyalty -- I will never support him or the team again.

As for Chris Schille saying Newfoundland would never be on the map only for Gushue, that tells you what Schille is made of right there. This is the guy that Gushue chooses to replace Korab? What a sad team. No class and no loyalty. I think team is used loosely.

• CJ
    July 02, 2010 - 13:22

Brent, in that case, I will reserve my right to ridicule you and people like you.
    You are obviously cheering for personalities rather than the heart of the team we send to represent us. And they are doing exactly that, representing Newfoundland, whether you like it or not.

• Hawk
    July 02, 2010 - 13:21

Funny how Schille is an outsider. Yet when did Russ Howard live in NL prior to the Olympics??

I guess as they say in all sports, winning fixes everything

And I assume if Brad was 11-0 at the Brier this week, most of these posts would be rooting Team NL on and saying that Brad made the right/tough decision for his team.

By the way Gene, Paul Henderson was cut from the Canadian team at the 1976 Canada Cup!! Might want to check the facts prior to making comments next time.

• Chris
    July 02, 2010 - 13:21

Brent from Paradise,

Having boos and tomatoes thrown at Schille would imply that he actually lives here and would accompany the team on the return trip to NL... Instead, he would just head back home to Alberta.

• HawkEater!
    July 02, 2010 - 13:21

Hawk, get your facts straight. Unless you have some inside information, Gushue did not fire anyone for Russ Howard to join the team for the olympics. It was a personal decision to step aside to help the team(or so it was reported to the media).

However, when he tried to return to Team Gushue after doing the honourable thing, Brad gave him the boot then, so it looks like classic classless Brad at his best again.

How can anyone, outside of their families, cheer for this guy or team is beyond me. I guess love is blind?

• Silly
    July 02, 2010 - 13:20

Folks;

Remember something in all of this... The people who criticize here are 'probably' always negative and agree with very little. People for some reason tend to take decisions personal and cannot see the full picture.

They are also among the minority. Every province has them.. Let's not get too caught up in their comments..

• Hawk
    July 02, 2010 - 13:20

Gene, but no one seems to have a problem with Brad firing another player to add Russ Howard to the team prior to the Olympics. Interesting that when you win, it is OK to make that move. But if you don't win, somehow you are letting down the province???

And believe me in 36 years, Team Gushue winning the Olympic Gold Medal will still be the biggest sporting feat in NL history!!!

• newfoundlander
    July 02, 2010 - 13:20

Yeah Jeff from St.John's i can certainly see the warm and down to earth attitude in your comments. You might want to read some other comments that chris made, particularly one where he said after jamie was no longer on the team that there should definately be another newfoundlander to replace him, doesn't sound like to horrible a person to me. Not to take anything away from Jamie, he's a great player but one person doesn't make a team. Give the guy a break, he makes one comment and you're ready to toss him off cape spear. I say forgive and forget, after all i'm sure we've all said things before without meaning them, or having them taken the wrong way.

• carter
    July 02, 2010 - 13:19

I have watched Brad ever since he came on the scene. I was in Halifax for the brier, he took a lot of heat there, but held his head very high, I was very proud of him for the comments that Ferby made,and Brad took that on the chin. Then he won the trials in Halifax, they didn,t give much of a chance to win that, but he did. Now all of newfoundland is jumping all over him and his team for not doing well or picking up new players, this is a sport, you don't get paid, come down from your high perch and start getting behind him,for the comments that his teammate had said, so be it, do we hang him, I am sure there are fellow newfoundlanders from one time or another had said something, then they wish they didn't, but then again the truth hurts and we can't take it. We should back him and if it means changing the team, its his team and he has that right to make that choice. One more thing he did put newfoundland on the map for the whole world to see, and he done it with exoerience ( Russ Howard ) and for that he made the right move. So Newfounland get behind your own and the people that he brings to his team and be the province that we are known for and that's being there when someone needs us.

• Jacob
    July 02, 2010 - 13:18

Once a year this team represents Newfoundland!! The rest of the year this team is on a money tour making money, playing professional. If Brad doesn't make changes like the other big names he won't keep up. This is not Newfoundland's team, just like Detriot, Montreal or San Jose is not Newfoundlands team.

• Ted
    July 02, 2010 - 13:18

I would like to call on anyone who hates Brad and what he has done over the past year to speak out today so we can get this out into the open and possibly try to finalise the unnecessary witch hunt on a guy who just wants to win and succeed in Curling.

The only reasons I can think of is:

1 - He chose a Non-Newfoundlander to join his team

2 - He cares about winning more than his friends / Teammates

3 - Jealousy

All of the above are BS in my opinion. Danny Cleary played terrible for a few NHL seasons with Chicago, Edmonton and Phoenix and we never slagged him this much. Michael Ryder has had a terrible season and no one is ridculing him. Ryane Clowe was arrested for DUI in December and no one called for his head on a stick. What is it that makes you mean-spirited people hate Brad so much?

• Sanford
    July 02, 2010 - 13:17

That's a very true statement wings fan. Shille obviously wasn't thinking when he said that. He will regret it.

On the game yesterday TSN listed Shille's job as a Curler. Gushue should send him on a work term.

• Margaret
    July 02, 2010 - 13:17

Mike Adam did an amazingly unselfish thing in stepping aside so that Russ Howard could play at the Olympics.
    This action was the only reason that
    Brad Gushue took home the Gold Medal.
    What thanks did Mike Adam get? He was given the boot from the team!

As for Korab, no one really definitely knows what happened there, but there are certainly enough rumours going around.

It's quite obvious what our new
    NL team mate thinks of the Province he is representing...we wouldn't be on the map except for Brad Gushue. What an insult and degradation! Please, Brad,
    at least this time do something other than for Brad Gushue, and defend your
    HOMELAND !!!

• Steve
    July 02, 2010 - 13:16

I agree with Brent....he is an outsider and as such, has to be careful of the words he uses.

I can understand that to some people, it would have been a sting to see Brad bring in an outsider. In that respect, perhaps Mr. Schille should have tried to be an open figure in St. John's curling, and try to the show the fans he's looking forward to being part of the NL Curling scene and not just Brad's teammate.

You're digging yourself into a grave Mr. Schille! Otherwise, your welcome home party at the Arrivals escalator at St .John's International Airport will be met with boos and tomatoes.

• wilfred
    July 02, 2010 - 13:16

In order to compete at an high level of curling these days some changes will have to be made every one or two years.
    Fans will have to accept this.
    Go Brad Go
    wilf

• Brent
    July 02, 2010 - 13:16

The team that went to the Olympics was not a NL team. It was a team representing Canada and they did a great job! The team that plays at the Brier should represent the province and be made up of curlers from or at least living long term in the province. Why even have a provincial team if you can use players from any part of the country? He is either the provincial hero who makes us proud or the ruthless perfectionist who strives to win at any cost. Perception is what counts as I have never sat down and had a beer or chat with the guy. Based on what I hear and see and interpret, I make my decision to cheer for the team of my choosing. If that makes me a bad NL'er then so be it. Feel free to ridicule me and those like me if you wish.

• Jacqueline
    July 02, 2010 - 13:15

Harsh, is the only word i can think of. I'm originally from Newfoundland, and tell everyone i meet that i'm proud of where i came from. Now i'm not so sure. Thankfully i see alot of comments supporting TEAM newfoundland, regardless of where the members originated from. Be proud that we're a top team in canadian curling, support your province, not complain. Some of the comments i have read makes me wonder when being a newfoundlander became an exclusive club...last i checked we'll make anyone an honorary newfoundlander and take pride in that, to bad we can't disown some of our own ....I spent this week cheering on my home province of Newfoundland, and will continue to do so no matter what. How disappointing to see such negativity from what i consider the friendliest province in canada.

• Silly
    July 02, 2010 - 13:14

What ridiculous comments!! Schille is not calling us stupid, he is referring to our stupid mentality and logic when it comes to things like this. According to a lot of the comments here, he is right. Someone writes Shille would face boos and tomatoes at the airport how stupid does that sound? This is the mentality I refer to and it is rampant here. We hate to see fellow NLers succeed. To say you would never cheer for Gushue because he stabbed Korab in the back is outrageous. Korab lacked the discipline after winning the gold and that was an issue that had to be dealt with. If we would tolerate that from any player on our own team simply because he is from NL is outright STUPID. Why is it we think that he should keep only NLers!! Morris moved to AB to play with Martin and that was the best decision he ever made. Teams change all the time as in any sport but we cant accept that. Why are we supporting the Fog Devils when there are lots of players here to choose from but they go elsewhere to get players? The reason is they want to compete and the right players are not always here! Why dont we expect Brad to pick players ONLY from SJ or MP, because they are not here and Mark is the best player on that team. Why dont we criticize him for that? Curling is a sport that Brad has worked hard at and is doing well with the players around him. It is time for this BS to stop. NLers dont need enemies from outside, we have enough here already. Maybe we are stupid because we spent so much time destroying our own athletes. Get a life and get over it

Ashamed..

• andrew
    July 02, 2010 - 13:14

He must have been referencing the teams from detroit that WON stanley cups... meaning the BEST... check out the 'V' last names on those squads!

• Jake
    July 02, 2010 - 13:13

Perhaps the only real talent on the team is gushue and nichols

they seem to be doing just fine with out the old front end. heck the boys are so good, they could probably train a couple monkeys to sweep and throw guards!

getting some popcorn and a drink now to watch the show.

• Andrew
    July 02, 2010 - 13:13

He was referencing the curling map.

Trash all tourney? 83 for the week, 4th among his position... pretty brutal.

The main objective is to represent Canada which last time I checked was both NL and Alta.

The idiots on here are the ones that make NL sound like its own country, sad site that would be.

The detroit teams that won stanley cups were loaded with russians

• marie
    July 02, 2010 - 13:11

i am a proud newfoundlander and i cheer on the gushue team.i am amazed,even shocked at the comments i have read this week about the gushue team.when my children were young and participated in sports to hear some parents telling their children to kick and beat the other children i decided this is not what i want my children to learn.just play your best was my motto.i guess those children of those parents grew up to be just like them!so glad my children decided to become doctors instead.team gushue do the best you can.thats all anyone can ask.good luck!

• Hawk
    July 02, 2010 - 13:11

Wingsfan, and according to a lot of these posts, if Dan Cleary isn't selected to the Canadian Olympic hockey team, we should all cheer for the US to win the Gold Medal????

• Alberta
    July 02, 2010 - 13:11

I have to say that after reading the many hundreds of articles around the globe about Chris Schille in the past several years, and following his stellar curling career..I will say that he left his home province and everything he knows to better himself and the Gushue rink, back when the decision was made to leave, this was an honor for him and was greatful be in such talented company..he does still feel that honor,you can tell by his on ice performance.. through all the criticism from the fans and the media in NL. When arriving in your province, he was expecting to be welcomed with open arms and instead came face to face with public scrutiny and immediate dislike, and why? Because he wasn't born into newfoundland blood? I know Chris Schille personally and know that he has always carried himself with class and professionalism but, really how much can one person take..I ask you to try to consider the fact the he is just a young athlete that stepped outside his geographical turf, can you imagine if all athletes pursued their careers based on the provinces or countries they were born..how pathelic would sports be. So why is it ok for the hockey players to go to their darft cities? Shouldn't all regulations on this particular topic apply to all sports in any part of the world? I'm guessing based on your opinion of him, knowing the little amount that you know of him, you don't think so. Which is narrow minded. He has curled his heart out for your province and seems to continue to be doing so..knowing how you all feel. Would you go out into public in a place that you know you are not wanted in? I doubt it, so why should he. The fact that you have such a wonderful foursome of athletes coming from your province and the last thing you want is their success, maybe take a step back and look at what you are really disputing. Try taking a different approach and be proud of your team a team that wears your colors, and waves your flag. I know that Alberta is watching and cheering them on..not because of who they are or the names they have but, because of their heart and drive towards the game. Brad lead a team to win a gold medal for this country and that is bigger than NL so as far as that goes he is being cheered on by this entire country, it's just to bad that his hometown isn't behind him in that, the pride of knowing that he is from there and has gone the distance at such a young age. As for Chris, you can dislike away but, remember in doing so he is just a young athlete that wants to continue pursuing his passion..back off him a bit..put yourself in his shoes and see how you would feel playing for a province that wishes you away. We all wish for acceptance..that was something that he was never granted, right from the beggining. He isn't going anywhere and it certainly isn't the last you will see of him. They are being cheered on in every end of every bonspeil by many great people and fans who appreciate the talent it takes to be at this level of curling. The drama of the rest of this will settle and they will still be great, find something else to do.. maybe cheer them on. If you still aren't then I truly feel for that poor team that has to read every day someone pointing out the mistakes they think they have made. Why haven't any of you skipped a team to the Olympics? I'm guessing it's because you were too busy writing about how much you dislike the ones who are. Brad, Mark, Chris and Dave.. you are all talented wonderful curlers, keep up the fight!!! You will succeed. I know Chris personally because I am his sister, and I want you to think about how this makes his family and friends feel. I hope you don't take offense to any of this I just want you to remember that there are 2 sides to every story and every person, not just the one that you read in the paper everyday. His family encouraged him to go as hard as it was to not have him here and watch him curl every chance we got took alot away from us. We hoped he would go and have the same support that we have always given him here. He is a son and a brother to us, we just want the best for him. Think if that was your family, you would do the same.

• Bob
    July 02, 2010 - 13:11

Yes teams have to make changes, which every team does. What Newfoundlanders are pissed about is the real reason why Korab was kicked off the team, which was because Korab questioned Gushue on a play and the cocky Gushue who is perfect in his own mind, couldn't take it and the rest is history. Not to mention the fact that 90% of the people who know Gushue personally can't stand him because of his personality. It's not a secret that he's not liked by his peers and fellow curlers, including almost every team at the brier.

• Adam
    July 02, 2010 - 13:10

Dear Brad,

Knife in the back of Korab? Lack of loyalty!!!

You are basically saying that if Korab were to return to NL and decide he did not want to train, or take curling seriously anymore, did not want to make a committment to practice and win, that Brad should keep him on the team based on loyalty!

That is like saying if so guy you hired to build your house decided to stop showing up to finish it that you should pay him becuase he built half of it!!!! would you do that, if so can I have a job?

I define someone with class as someone who actually fully understands what they are talking, knows that there are two sides to ever story (in this case there i Brad's and Jamie'S) and thinks before they go out shooting off at the hip.

I really don't think you should be criticizing anyone until you get your facts straight.

• Dave
    July 02, 2010 - 13:09

Mr. Schille,

First off, I just looked at an old map I had sitting around from before Brad and his rink went to the Olympics & low & behold, there was Newfoundland and Labrador! So we were on the map before the Olympic Gold!??!

Also, as a Newfoundlander with a Master's Degree and several professional designations, and someone who does follow curling, I would consider myself anything but stupid! You think that because you are from Calgary (or whereever, I really don't care enough to look it up) that you are better than Newfoundlanders? If this is so, why are you not the skip with brad sweeping for you??? You were a skip at one time were you not?

• Denise
    July 02, 2010 - 13:09

Jeff I guess Alberta from Alberta doesn't realize that we have a number of Rhodes Scholars here in Newfoundland one of which is our premier Danny Williams and the other being the CBC's Rex Murphy.

• Sharon
    July 02, 2010 - 13:09

wow....who knew that newfoundlanders were so harsh on their own. I love Brad...have from the beginning so maybe we could adopt him in ON and a new all NL team can go to Brier next year. There are probably a lot of guys asking to join Brad's team and a lot of pressure for him to join others. Anytime you want to disown him, the rest of the country would love to adopt him.

• Annoyed
    July 02, 2010 - 13:09

Chris P......going back to alberta?? well he'll feel right at home with every other newfoundlander working there right now.....personally i like this team, i think they work well together, and i don't care if they live on the dark side of the moon as long as they represent newfoundland with dignity and pride......something sorely lacking in some comments here

• Mary
    July 02, 2010 - 13:08

Well said, Jake, I agree with every word

• Hawk
    July 01, 2010 - 20:25

Welcome aboard the bandwagon!!!

• CJ
    July 01, 2010 - 20:25

I really believe Ted has some very valid points in what he is saying.

• Dan
    July 01, 2010 - 20:25

• gene
    July 01, 2010 - 20:24

• Tony
    July 01, 2010 - 20:23

Good Luck with your NL Fan Base Schille! You'll need it!

• Kim
    July 01, 2010 - 20:23

Chris left his home in Ab to move to NL and this is what he gets (SHAME ON YOU)

• Hawk

Who the hell cares?

• gene
    July 01, 2010 - 20:13

• Craig
    July 01, 2010 - 20:13

Brad, here's your statement,

Korab is not a franchise player you build a team around.

What BS you are preaching!

• Jeff
    July 01, 2010 - 20:13

Mr. Schille,

• Wingsfan
    July 01, 2010 - 20:12

Mr. Schille,

• Jake
    July 01, 2010 - 20:12

I knew it would be a good show....

But i can't help myself.

Top athletes do that.

Jake

• Wingsfan
    July 01, 2010 - 20:12

Well 75% of a newfoundland curling team.

• gary

3 - Jealousy

• Sanford
    July 01, 2010 - 19:58

• Margaret
    July 01, 2010 - 19:58

This action was the only reason that
    Brad Gushue took home the Gold Medal.
    What thanks did Mike Adam get? He was given the boot from the team!

It's quite obvious what our new
    at least this time do something other than for Brad Gushue, and defend your
    HOMELAND !!!

• Steve
    July 01, 2010 - 19:57

• wilfred
    July 01, 2010 - 19:56

Fans will have to accept this.
    Go Brad Go
    wilf

• Brent
    July 01, 2010 - 19:55

• Jacqueline
    July 01, 2010 - 19:54

• Silly
    July 01, 2010 - 19:54

Ashamed..

• andrew
    July 01, 2010 - 19:53

• Jake
    July 01, 2010 - 19:51

Perhaps the only real talent on the team is gushue and nichols

getting some popcorn and a drink now to watch the show.

• Andrew
    July 01, 2010 - 19:50

He was referencing the curling map.

Trash all tourney? 83 for the week, 4th among his position... pretty brutal.

The detroit teams that won stanley cups were loaded with russians

• marie
    July 01, 2010 - 19:48

• Hawk
    July 01, 2010 - 19:48

• Alberta
    July 01, 2010 - 19:48

• Bob
    July 01, 2010 - 19:47

• Adam
    July 01, 2010 - 19:46

Dear Brad,

Knife in the back of Korab? Lack of loyalty!!!

• Dave