Bishop's Falls man dead after falling in Exploits River

Staff ~ Transcontinental Media

A 64-year-old man is dead after falling into the Exploits River early this morning.

The man is believed to be from the Botwood area and was fishing with a friend when he fell in.

Police were called to the Sir Robert Bond Bridge outside of Bishop's Falls around 5:45 a.m. where they were told that the man had fallen out of a small boat.

Sgt. Rus Thibaut of the Grand Falls-Windsor detachment of the RCMP confirmed that the man was wearing a personal floatation device, which was later found further down the river.

The man was found dead later in the morning. It's still unclear as to how the man went overboard.

Organizations: RCMP

Geographic location: Exploits River, Botwood

Comments

Comments

• Donny
    July 02, 2010 - 13:35

I think I would have jumped in to try and perform a rescue. Not sure I could just sit there in the boat and watch!

• Flipper
    July 02, 2010 - 13:31

Gee, no hand cuffs out. These two were out before 7:30am. If this was St. Johns then the RNC would have been arresting the one on the spot.

Just goes to show that ya need to wear that life jacket at all times. Would not help much if you were knocked on the head and flipped turtle, but they offer a good chance though.

I hope that people use them in this weekends food fishery. We do not need to hear of more of these stories.

• Randall Stephens
    July 02, 2010 - 13:24

A lifejacket not fastened is about as effective as a seat belt wrapped around the shoulder. My thoughts and prayers go out to the man's family; hopefully this will teach fellow boaters a lesson.

• Rusty
    July 02, 2010 - 13:19

RIP my friend. My God grant your family and friends comfort in this difficult time.

• Rusty
    July 02, 2010 - 13:19

Donny, I know both of these men and I can tell you his friend did not sit there in the boat and just watch. He attempted to save the deceased and could not. If you had any clue about the area that this accident occurred in you would realise that the current is very strong. Have some respect for the family and keep your insensitive comments to yourself.

• Donny