Update: Three killed, one missing in Twillingate boating accident

Staff ~ The Telegram

Two children and an adult were killed in a boating accident over the weekend near Twillingate.
Search and rescue workers recovered the bodies of two brothers, eight and 10-years-old.
The two boys were in a 16-foot open boat, along with two adult men. The men were not related to the two children, but were family friends.
Search and Rescue workers have recovered one of the adults' bodies, and a search is continuing for the fourth person.
Neil Peet, acting superintendent of the maratime search and rescue joint co-ordination centre, said the call came in around midnight Saturday night.
He said that the four people were out pleasure boating, and left Twillingate around 3 p.m. Saturday.
It is unclear what exactly happened to the boat, but Peet said that all four people were wearing life jackets.
Searchers are using several coast guard and coast guard auxiliary vessels, as well as a Hercules aircraft, and a Cormorant helicopter.
Peet said that searchers are also being helped by several boats from the community of Twillingate, who have volunteered to search. More will be posted as it becomes availble.

Geographic location: Twillingate

Comments

Comments

• Carol
    March 25, 2011 - 13:18

If you are destined to die, you are going to die and you cannot do anything to stop it. Although I do not know what I would do if it would be my kid out there. I just hope their families have been able to move on from the accident. - Carol

• Roger
    July 20, 2010 - 13:03

I have not ever seen and likely never will , a 16 ft. boat in the back of a small pick-up . Donny , you're right , it's just you , so i won't dwell on your comment too much . I've fished and pleasure boated on three of the Great Lakes for more than 30 yrs in a 16 footer without running into too much trouble . This is a terrible accident , but has nothing to do with what kind of truck this boat can fit into . Lets wait for the investigation to take place before blame is placed !!

• Michelle
    July 20, 2010 - 13:03

Donny, there was no need of that comment. Who cares what you wouldn't do. Anything can happen, BIG or SMALL

• Jonathan
    July 20, 2010 - 13:02

Donny, do you have kids? I wouldn't think you'd be man enough.

• Robert
    July 20, 2010 - 13:02

Im so sorry to here about the lost, i will be praying for the family's that lost the two boys and husbands

• Gen
    July 20, 2010 - 13:02

My heart felt condolsences to the families and friends of these men and the children. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. May they R.I.P

• Kent
    July 20, 2010 - 13:02

Real classy comment in a time of such a tragedy. Have a little respect for the family.

• Don
    July 20, 2010 - 13:02

The boat had a 70hp outboard engine. This is to much power for a 16 foot boat. I think the investigation will find that the boat was driven under because of speed and high seas.

• Donny
    July 20, 2010 - 13:02

I wouldn't put my kids on the ocean in any boat that can fit in the back of a small pickup truck but that's just me.