Nathan Noel of St. John's the third overall pick by Sea Dogs
Nine players from Newfoundland and Labrador were selected as the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League held its 2013 entry draft Saturday in Chicoutimi, Que.
Forward Nathan Noel of St. John's, ranked third overall by QMJHL Central Scouting going into the draft, went in that exact slot as he was chosen by the Saint John Sea Dogs with the No. 3 pick.
Two players from Quebec, forwards Nicolas Roy and Anthony Beauvillier, went first and second overall, respectively, to the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles and Shawinigan Cataractes.
Noel, who turns 16 in 12 days, attended Shattuck-St. Mary's prep school in Minnesota, where he was the lone 15-year-old on the school's top prep team this past season.
Defenceman Adam Holwell of St. John's, who played for the Missassauga Senators midgets in Ontario last season, was the next Newfoundlander selected, going in the third round, 44th overall, to the Moncton Wildcats.
Goaltender Chris Smith of the St. John's Privateers was the first player from the Newfoundland major midget league whose name was called. Smith went 77th overall as a fifth-round pick of the Sea Dogs.
Defenceman Adam Picco, of Marystown, who also attends Shattuck-St. Mary's, was another fifth-round pick as he was tabbed 90th overall by the Rimouski Oceanic.
Other players from this province drafted by QMJHL teams Saturday:
- Forward Jordan King of Corner Brook and the provincial major midget Western Kings, 7th round, 128th overall by the Memorial Cup champion Halifax Mooseheads
- Forward Curtis Scales of Happy Valley-Goose Bay and the Ottawa Voyageurs and and the major midget Western Kings, 8th round, 134th overall by the Gatineau Olympiques
- Forward Tyler Boland of St. John's and the provincial major midget St. John's Maple Leafs, 10th round, 180th overall by the Rimouski Oceanic
- Defenceman Lee Dower of St. John's, and the provincial major midget St. John's Privateers, 13th round, 220th overall by the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles
- Forward Bradley Power of St. John's and the Bay State Breakers of Rockland, Mass., 14th round, 238th overall by the Moncton Wildcats
In all, 252 players were chosen. Those selected in Round 1 to 8 could be born in 1997 or earlier. Those selected in Rounds 9 to 14 had to be born in 1996 or earlier.